General LSD Settings

• Thread starter Jizzum_90
  • 85 comments
Like a 2way but calms down on de-acceleration to keep the back end in the right place hence the 0.5.
To save me going through lots of threads, does anyone know the LSD setting for a locked diff. Ive been using 5/5/60 which I thought was locked but now I believe its wrong?

I believe the settings for a locked diff is either: 5/60/60 or 60/60/60

I'm not sure, as this thread confused me between what is what.

I believe the settings for a locked diff is either: 5/60/60 or 60/60/60

I'm not sure seeing as this thread has confused me between what is what.

Mu default setting is 50/69/50 for 500+ hp

69? lol. Diffs still confuse me, I now exactly what they do and how they work yet I swear its harder to set it up on GT5. IRL you just slap in a 2 way with a good ratio or weld what you got. Suggestions thread anyone? lol

I meant 60.
On 2-way diffs you just go by tightness. For drifting the gears would be very tight. The Diff ratio is the final drive ratio. (i think)

Something along the lines of 25 to 50% static load and 75-75 works good for my style (sharp corners, lightweight car with weaker engines i.e naturally aspirated engines under 2000cc, close to stock softly adjusted springs but stiff roll-bars up front for easier weight manipulation and lots of camber up front)

As far as I can understand the 1,5 way is the type of diff where power lock is always 50% of that of coast lock, i.e if you have 80% lock for power, coast is 40%, but static load is still adjustable.

the first number is preload, how quick it locks up, then % of lock on accel + deaccel, however gt5 is weird like this because in real life a typical 2way would be 80% accel 80% deaccel (and preload is measured in nm) yet they want to use a 0-60 ratio so...

What? Errr..... wrong LOL

'Acceleration' setting determines how much the LSD locks under acceleration, 'deceleration' setting determines how much the LSD works when under deceleration, fairly simple.

In RWD drift car, you want LSD effect under accel and decel, hence it's called a 2-way diff, because it provides LSD effect i both directions, accel and decel. Equivalent setting in GT5: Initial 10, Accel 60, Decel 60

Some race RWD's use what is called a 1.5-way, which provides full LSD effect under acceleration, but only 50% of that LSD effect under breaking, which helps stop the back end breaking away on the way into corners in tail-happy cars. Equivalent setting in GT5: Initial 10, Accel 60, Decel 30

FWD's use what is called a 1-way diff which only works under acceleration, meaning that turn-in is not affected in any way. Equivalent setting in GT5: Initial 10, Accel 60, Decel 5

Also wrong, most competition drifters use 2-way diffs as they provide the added advantage over locked diffs of being able to be 'unlocked' simply by dipping the clutch. In a welded diff, there is no way to open the diff up to give the back end grip. LOTS of people use welded diffs for practice/fun, but for comps they have SERIOUS limitations.

I have two questions for you TTCH.

1.Why 10 for initial torque instead 5 or 60 or any other number in between?

2. Why is it 60 accel and 30 decel for the 1.5 way? 1/2 of the 60 settings is 33 since there is 55 clicks. 55 divided by 2 is 27.5+5(For the lowest setting)=32.5 which rounds up to 33

My basic recipe is always start at 60/60/60 and decrease any of these valors depending of the engine, traction and deccel responses...

Pretty noobish, but works.

I have a question. So an always locked diff is 60/60/60, but it has been said multiple times by multiple people that a "proper LSD" is more suitible for drifting. So what are the settings for a "proper LSD"?

i normally use

wich is a ratio te be found in alot of stock diffs in GT5.
and seems to work in almost every car, even for just normal racing.

to me its very easy to control and to turn in and maintain drifts.

ill try a few more settings now. ive tried higher initial torque in the past but im really anti understeer. and thus dont like high initial torque settings. dunno it just feels less responsive.

im very curious about the accel and deccel settings though, i havent played with them alot

Last edited:
What do you mean by "the wheels lock" i dont understand, its an expression? or what sorry am noob about this

They stop moving and you slide off the track into a wall and smash your car up into little bits. :dopey:

Kinda like this:

Last edited:
I think I've found that with a lower deceleration setting, the wheels don't lock up as much causing the car to lose speed quicker when you lift off the throttle during a drift. I could be wrong about that but that's just what I've observed.

I know a lower IT gives the car better response and generally becomes snappier, reducing understeer and increasing turn-in.

I'm not too sure about the acceleration setting though, I think with a lower setting your car will have the ability to drift at higher speeds (from what I've seen on the KYOKI thread, lol), but I'm kinda cloudy with that one.

So tuning the LSD has always been a mystery to me. After reading this whole thread, things are becoming much clearer. Thanks to all those who posted in depth explanations (except for that guy who seemed to have everything backwards, with his crazy analogies).

Let me see if I understand this whole LSD thing...please correct me if I'm wrong.

Initial - this is GT's term for the "preload". This is the pressure provided my the springs inside the diff. To my understanding, the innitial effects the amount of lock/slip allowed by the diff when both wheels have traction. A low setting (5) allows the most slip, and therefore the most amount of grip (when wheels have traction). A high setting (60) gives the most amount of lock (when the wheels have traction). To me, this is evident when driving a car at slow speed and trying to turn...a setting of 5 allows for easy turn in, as the rear wheels can turn independently of each other, and a setting of 60 cause understeer on turn in, as the rear wheels are locked together. To me, innitial affects drift initiation the most.

Accel/Decel - to my understanding, Accel and Decel are the terms GT uses to describe the amount of lock applied by the diff once TRACTION IS BROKEN by at least one wheel.

This means that Accel is how much the diff will lock while under acceleration while the rear wheels are sliding. A setting of 60 is as close to locking the rear (under these conditions) as we can get. As you decreases the Accel value, the diff allows more slip, thus causing less torque to be applied to the outside wheel. This in turn cause the outside wheel to gain more grip, which translates to a higher drift speed, at the cost of reduced angel. This keeps in line with KYOKI's description of Accel.

The Decel is how much lock is applied by the diff when you cut the torque input to the diff (either back off the throttle, or engage the clutch). This means a setting of 60 will keep the diff locked when the input torque is cut. As you decrease the Decel value, the diff will start to slip (or open up) easier once the torque is cut. Again, like Accel, the more the diff slips, the more grip the outside tire gains. A high Decel value keeps the rear locked under deceleration, causing the rear to maintain the slide more, leading to smoother, but slower off throttle transitions. A lower number allows more slip, giving more grip to the outside tire, which leads to snappier, but faster transitions (again, off throttle). A lower value will also cause the rear wheels to gain grip quicker when you back off the throttle mid drift.

So, am I on the right track? Or as far off as that dude with the lion avatar?

So tuning the LSD has always been a mystery to me. After reading this whole thread, things are becoming much clearer. Thanks to all those who posted in depth explanations (except for that guy who seemed to have everything backwards, with his crazy analogies).

Let me see if I understand this whole LSD thing...please correct me if I'm wrong.

Initial - this is GT's term for the "preload". This is the pressure provided my the springs inside the diff. To my understanding, the innitial effects the amount of lock/slip allowed by the diff when both wheels have traction. A low setting (5) allows the most slip, and therefore the most amount of grip (when wheels have traction). A high setting (60) gives the most amount of lock (when the wheels have traction). To me, this is evident when driving a car at slow speed and trying to turn...a setting of 5 allows for easy turn in, as the rear wheels can turn independently of each other, and a setting of 60 cause understeer on turn in, as the rear wheels are locked together. To me, innitial affects drift initiation the most.

Accel/Decel - to my understanding, Accel and Decel are the terms GT uses to describe the amount of lock applied by the diff once TRACTION IS BROKEN by at least one wheel.

This means that Accel is how much the diff will lock while under acceleration while the rear wheels are sliding. A setting of 60 is as close to locking the rear (under these conditions) as we can get. As you decreases the Accel value, the diff allows more slip, thus causing less torque to be applied to the outside wheel. This in turn cause the outside wheel to gain more grip, which translates to a higher drift speed, at the cost of reduced angel. This keeps in line with KYOKI's description of Accel.

The Decel is how much lock is applied by the diff when you cut the torque input to the diff (either back off the throttle, or engage the clutch). This means a setting of 60 will keep the diff locked when the input torque is cut. As you decrease the Decel value, the diff will start to slip (or open up) easier once the torque is cut. Again, like Accel, the more the diff slips, the more grip the outside tire gains. A high Decel value keeps the rear locked under deceleration, causing the rear to maintain the slide more, leading to smoother, but slower off throttle transitions. A lower number allows more slip, giving more grip to the outside tire, which leads to snappier, but faster transitions (again, off throttle). A lower value will also cause the rear wheels to gain grip quicker when you back off the throttle mid drift.

So, am I on the right track? Or as far off as that dude with the lion avatar?
I think you're close, from what I've seen that decell sounds about right in context.

I don't really have much idea about drift tuning, but I do know a bit about racing cars... a higher decel should make the car more stable under braking... therefore you'd pretty much always want this as low as possible in a drift car to make it transition faster?

Though to be honest, I don't find chancing the decel number has much, if any, effect in GT5.

I don't really have much idea about drift tuning, but I do know a bit about racing cars... a higher decel should make the car more stable under braking... therefore you'd pretty much always want this as low as possible in a drift car to make it transition faster?

Though to be honest, I don't find chancing the decel number has much, if any, effect in GT5.

I don't think you want the Decel as low as possible (5), as this may cause the rear to gain too much grip when you lift off the throttle, causing understeer.

I've also found that as you lower the Decel value, the radius of an off throttle drift becomes tighter (due to the rear having more grip).

After reading this thread and doing some testing, most of my drift cars have a diff setting like this:

Initial - 5
Accel - 60
Decel - 45 to 60, depending on the car.

I don't think you want the Decel as low as possible (5), as this may cause the rear to gain too much grip when you lift off the throttle, causing understeer.

Hmmm, I was reading a discussion on diff settings between 2 drivers in the Porsche GT3 Cup.

The guy towards the very top of the Championship said he prefered a higher decel as it made the car more stable off the throttle on turn in. IIRC correctly, he said it did cause a bit more understeer, but the payoff was being able to brake harder and deeper in to the apex with confidence... which to me would equate to a car that would harder to initiate a drift in?

Hmmm, I was reading a discussion on diff settings between 2 drivers in the Porsche GT3 Cup.

The guy towards the very top of the Championship said he prefered a higher decel as it made the car more stable off the throttle on turn in. IIRC correctly, he said it did cause a bit more understeer, but the payoff was being able to brake harder and deeper in to the apex with confidence... which to me would equate to a car that would harder to initiate a drift in?

Hmm that's interesting. However, I think it's important to note that the conditions we are talking about are very different (Porsche GT Cup vs Drifting).

The guy from the Porshe Cup is more than likely right, and you are probably right that a car that is more stable under braking would be harder to initiate a drift in, under braking.

The thing is though (and maybe this is totally just my style, not sure if others would agree), I very rarely initiate under braking. Off the top of my head, I can't think of one corner that I would initiate under braking. Like I said, maybe it's just my drift style, but I always prefer to initiate farther away from entry, under power, and transition through the entry if necessary. Even if there is one specific corner that would require me to initiate under braking, I would more than likely blip the throttle or pull the e-brake to help break traction at the rear. So I guess I'm saying that a high Decel value, which makes initiating under braking difficult, does not affect my drift style.

Transitioning while braking, or off throttle, is another story. Almost every tight corner after a high speed section requires some sort of transition under braking - either left to right (or right left), or high to slow speed multi-apex. But you must keep in mind that traction has already been broken, the car is already drifting, so concerns about initiation are not necessary. Just as a high Decel diff setting stabilizes the car under braking while the rear has traction, it stabilizes the rear while when traction is broken. The actual effect it has is this - a higher Decel value causes the outside rear wheel to gain traction slower, which makes the car change direction slower while drifting (ie, it is more stable). The lower the setting, the faster that outside tire will gain traction, which makes the car change direction quicker. If the setting is too low, and that wheel gains traction too fast, it can cause the car to snap back the other way at a rate that is too quick to "catch".

Most of my drift cars (1100-1300kg) have a Decel value from 45-55. Some of the lighter cars, like my PS13s, I run a setting closer to 60. On the heavier cars, a Decel setting of 60 makes them feel very boat-like during braking transitions. I've also found that most braking transitions are performed in tighter areas, so I prefer the car to be a bit snappy, so I can make the transition quick.

The other thing a lower Decel value does is cause the car to slow down more when you lift off the throttle mid drift, or during transitions. This can be either good or bad, depending on the car. For a high powered, heavy car that picks up a lot of speed while drifting, I would run a lower Decel value to aid in slowing the car down as you approach a slow speed corner. Too low a setting on a lightweight car can cause it to lose too much momentum, thus killing the drift.

Anyways, that's just what I've found through my testing.

Last edited:
Back