General Quick Match Event(s) Database/Discussion (v1.08)

• Thread starter NW48
  • 203 comments
The expert label means nothing as far as I can tell the event is open to everyone! This is also shown by the choice of racing soft as our virtual rubber...

Quick match is for the masses, its a casual jump in jump event out for everyone online, adding mechanical damage removes any appeal that an event has. I doubt you would get enough people in the event to make one full room, once all the rammers, divers, late braking and barging players have moved on, then it becomes a question of if the event is successful and worth running on the servers.

I understand the need of some for a 'hard core' approach to online racing, but this is best done with friends in a private room. There will always be someone that gets pleasure from ruining the experience, think team killing in shooters here...

The idea of quick match is to get people racing online not drive them away ;)

The expert label means nothing as far as I can tell the event is open to everyone! This is also shown by the choice of racing soft as our virtual rubber...

Quick match is for the masses, its a casual jump in jump event out for everyone online, adding mechanical damage removes any appeal that an event has. I doubt you would get enough people in the event to make one full room, once all the rammers, divers, late braking and barging players have moved on, then it becomes a question of if the event is successful and worth running on the servers.

I understand the need of some for a 'hard core' approach to online racing, but this is best done with friends in a private room. There will always be someone that gets pleasure from ruining the experience, think team killing in shooters here...

The idea of quick match is to get people racing online not drive them away ;)

I see what you're saying,but I don't believe there would be any problem filling a room with clean racers,and i'm not suggesting a "hardcore" approach,just somewhere to have a quick few races where you can actually race without being constantly barged and battered about-as you say QM is for everybody and that includes those who want a clean race.
Sometimes racing in a lobby/private room is not always practical,so the option of diving into a clean QM is something I think is needed,or at least tried out-if it doesn't work,so be it,but its an option I think needs to be explored.

Regular events have the following settings:
SRF - On
Boost - Weak
Penalties - Weak
Mechanical Damage - None

Expert events have the following settings:
SRF - Off
Boost - None
Penalties - Strong
Mechanical Damage - None

That's as stated on the events themselves.
Whether the fact that they mention mechanical damage can be taken as a sign or not I'm not sure.

Anyone able to run a flying lap of Nurb in the Megane at 1:53.2 or quicker?

I saw someone do it today.
Watching the replay there were no shortcuts.
And sometimes watching someone else's replay can make it look a bit ugly and not very smooth, but it was a horrible lap.

A good driver with a good tune ... I guess it's possible?
It's definitely quick, I'm just not sure if it's 'legitimately' quick.

And sometimes watching someone else's replay can make it look a bit ugly and not very smooth, but it was a horrible lap.

So by "horrible lap" - you mean driving fast from sloppy corner to sloppy corner?
But if so, why would you imagine it was a good driver?

Wouldn't somebody be able to tell if it's within reason of tuning by the speed on the straight?

So by "horrible lap" - you mean driving fast from sloppy corner to sloppy corner?
But if so, why would you imagine it was a good driver?

Wouldn't somebody be able to tell if it's within reason of tuning by the speed on the straight?
I didn't give it the full Sherlock Holmes investigation. :lol:
I could probably look deeper into it using the Data Logger.

But yeh, it was a horrible lap ... 2 of them in fact.
Not a smooth line to be seen anywhere, but as I say perhaps it's simply watching his car on my race replay.
Constantly sideways on entry and exit, and quite often an outside rear wheel on the grass.
Top speeds on the two main straights were normal.

The one thing that stood out was the very, very late braking compared to me.
Really late on the brakes and downshifted like a mad-man back to first. :P

All the races I've run I have never seen anyone break 1:55.
To be fair a few have gotten very close.
But this lap was basically 2 seconds faster.
Which is why it caught my attention.

So maybe a good driver in a good tune with a jerky replay.
Or perhaps something a bit more devious.
I'm not sure.

I think it could be just a particularly good tuning set-up.
But also some fishy stuff happens in quick match.
Odd lag, etc.
Also, some people do strange things with their car set ups.
Combination means sometimes things don't make sense.

Which ones do you do?

With penalties on strong, there's really only certain tracks that have shortcuts that are very worthwhile, and most require some knowledge & skill in the execution of gaming the shortcuts... therefore some tracks, you're just not going to see many people bothering.
(Like I never saw anyone short the track in that Madrid QM. lol)

On the Nurb track there are a couple spots you could, but they don't make up the 3 second penalty. Someone mentioned it though.

Aussie, I'd have to guess that was a glitch in the matrix. lol.
I've ran and seen guys running low 1:56's and a very rare 1:55 here and there, I've done 1 myself. But never saw a 1:54 or faster. Not saying it's impossible, but wow it would have to be amazing. On my 1:55.7 I touched every turns curb strung it out every shift, broke as late As I could get away with while not coming out of the fast line and basically never got the car sideways. So I'm not sure where it would come from?
I've even gotten my car up on two wheels trying to go faster. So now I keep it easy to drive hard and worry more about how much I get banged around. Which is a TON.

Getting hit in the door and getting a 5 second penalty is getting old. lol

I saw someone in QM today mowing the lawn by the chicane.

Which reminds me... I wanted to watch the replay (I think I saved it..) because there was something fishy about the whole thing.
The guy seemed to get out of turns much faster than me (okay)... but then he couldn't keep up on the straights and most of the track.
This in itself wasn't fishy. Probably just a half-whacked tune.

Him mowing the lawn there to cut the track wasn't surprising either, since I have heard if you do it right it's "worth it". :rolleyes:
But the weird part was after he cut the track, I caught up with him at T1 on lap 3, and finally passed him when he went off. But I didn't gain position on the leaderboard.
What's more is that he passed me back like I was standing still... And then, as I watched him immediately in front of me... he somehow must've passed 2 cars (that I didn't see) because he finished in 3rd, when he should've finished in 5th just before me. :boggled:
It wasn't a lapping situation... because that wouldn't make logical sense.

I'm chalking it up to some kind of weird lag.
I know that in the next race there were invisible cars. (And I rarely have had invisible car problems.) But SEVERAL cars suddenly disappeared from the grid line-up registry screen... and then I could see 3-4 empty grid spots on the starting grid, and then one guy was totally lagging out in such an egregious manner it's shocking he'd even want to be in a race where he was lagging so badly.

So anyway... QM is definitely hinky.

Sorry guy's, there's been a few complications as of late and I haven't had the chance to update the OP. I will have it done once I get the time.

Ok, an edit to my last post. Last night I hit a couple more 1:55's with a best of 1:55.12. But there was a guy running easy 1:55's and a few, that is several 1:54's. His total time was 5:49, I got second with a 5:57...WOW! He passed me like I was standing still a full 2+ seconds a lap faster. No glitches.
Even his first lap was a 1:59 from a standing start!

Like to see that set up!!! Can't remember his online name, but it ended in 1959 with a green and black nations flag.

I suppose I aggravated someone racing today. Not sure when, but he spent two laps hitting me, braking so I'd rear end him and generally pissed. Then next race he ran a 5:48.1 total time. Pretty serious, lol.
That race I had a 2:21, 2:08 and 2:17 set of laps. Brutal, about 6 penalties, only 1 my fault.

I did win 5.5 million credits so far today, mostly after he left. :) With a best total of 5:55.7 today so far.

The other day I saw someone run an easy 2:02 at the 12-hour race in an SLS with no draft. I found it odd because the fastest I'd seen up to then was a mid 2:03 in the Audi Team Oreca and I haven't seen anyone else in an SLS even close to that. The next lap was fishy because after he saw he got a 2:02 he peddled it pretty badly the whole next lap.

I say it was easy because on the replay it looked like a pretty mediocre lap. I've seen a lot of replays in the seasonal time trials and this did not look like the kind of hot lap I'm used to seeing. Maybe just a seriously fast driver but it just didn't seem to add up.

......................He passed me like I was standing still a full 2+ seconds a lap faster.........

Just another Alien, no big deal, learn from them. I have a WRS Div 2 Silver Rating, so that means there's 2-3 thousand folks out there who are faster than I and I see a few of them in about 5% of the Quick Match races I run..................👍

I saw a Japanese player named MAGIC-TURN get into the 1:52s last night, but the foam barriers at the chicane had been busted through, and the corner was being cut without penalty. The fastest legitimate laps I've seen are 1:54s, but my personal best is a 156.2xx (no corner cutting). I really hate that there are so many players that think it is ok to cut a corner just because PD doesn't have a penalty at that spot.

Regarding the Megane race, I've run legit 1:54.7xx laps (without draft) using a pretty standard tune from one of the threads here, and Lap 1 in the 2:00.2xx range with a good start. I'm no alien, and have seen faster competition, although generally those running under 1:53 are blowing through the chicane blocks on lap 1 and then shortcutting. Last night had great fun in a room with lots of competition in the 1:55.5xx range.

I have noted (and managed it myself a time or two) that timing the start perfectly will allow you to vault past 5-6 cars before the braking zone for turn 1. It looks like you are cheating or using a hacked car, but it's just timing and a bit of luck-think Lewis Hamilton's start in the final 2014 F1 race.

There has never been a better way to 'grind' credits in a GT game for me, despite all the issues. I strongly recommend a wired connection, my experience has been a lot better and more consistent since then. For some reason I am convinced that waiting a minute or two on the race entry screen (the one where you choose the event you will race in) increases your chance of connecting properly. When I get booted from the server and enter again immediately it just happens over and over. Sometimes waiting a beat or two does the trick. Could just be me though.

I don't often run QM as I can't stand the smashing and bashing,but I do pop in occasionally,and what I saw today before getting disconnected has left me almost speechless.
This is kinda related to the thread on hacked cars in General Chat,but thought i'd post it here as I could be wrong and its just down to glitching,although i've never seen anything like i've just witnessed.
Basically on lap one there was loads of cars spinning out and tyre smoke everywhere-just some numpties spinning it up,or so I thought.On lap two these same cars were still spinning all over the place BUT what was different and gobsmacking was why they were spinning-the speeds these two cars were doing was unreal,uncontrollably so.I got rear ended by one and must have flown the entire length of one of the straights,across the gravel trap and into the wall from the speed of the impact,and even when they went off,as soon as they were back on track they just shot off down the track at warp speed into a wall,back on repeat etc...
Saw several examples of this before being disconnected,not going all out saying they were hacked,but just can't believe the speeds they were doing-the rear tyres were permanently spinning/smoking- was purely down to glitching...

I saw a Japanese player named MAGIC-TURN get into the 1:52s last night, but the foam barriers at the chicane had been busted through, and the corner was being cut without penalty. The fastest legitimate laps I've seen are 1:54s, but my personal best is a 156.2xx (no corner cutting). I really hate that there are so many players that think it is ok to cut a corner just because PD doesn't have a penalty at that spot.

If you watch NASCAR racing today you'll see all the fast cars WAYyyyyyyy below the yellow line on the apron of the track. Because there is no penalty for doing it.

Just sayin. :)

Moxitops ran several 1:52's and total times of 5:46 today. One race he was checked out, I was in second and he just parked on the side and sat out the last lap.

Weird.

After using my orange car, which is my fastest for some reason, to set a new personal best total time and lap...5:48.5xx and 1:54.0xx respectively, I decided to build a new car to see if that might be a factor. So I built a white one. Then entered the worst room of my QM lifespan. First lap was. 2:35.xxx, record worst lap...

lol

But in summary, it's not as fast as my orange car, even with nearly identical settings.

As of April 9, 2015, a new quick match called Volkswagen GT24 One-Make Battle at Red Bull Ring replaces the Renault Megane one.

Pretty much same settings as the Megane one, except you need to bring your own VW Scirocco GT24 instead of a Megane Trophy, and it's at Red Bull Ring instead of Nurburgring. ;)

Back