General Workout Routines and Questions

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 1,940 comments
Vile, retched, putrid deadlifts.

There’s something so alien about this movement for my body. Guess I need to get comfortable and find the form that is best for me.

The sumo form is most natural for me.

Anyone have any tips?
Best if you can find someone who knows what they're doing that can watch you real time to offer some tips. Otherwise, post some videos here so we can critique your form. Videos from the side give the best angle for judgement.
What I can say is most people don't sit deep enough into the lift. A standard deadlift is very similar in movement to a back squat. But yes, post some videos so we can give you some proper advise here.

Vile, retched, putrid deadlifts.

There’s something so alien about this movement for my body. Guess I need to get comfortable and find the form that is best for me.

The sumo form is most natural for me.

Anyone have any tips?
The best resource I've ever found for exercises for normal and even broken people is Dean Somerset.

What I can say is most people don't sit deep enough into the lift. A standard deadlift is very similar in movement to a back squat. But yes, post some videos so we can give you some proper advise here.
I love you but I'm gonna have to disagree with you here, @Pako. If you drop your butt and your knees come forward, you're training a squat pattern and not a hip hinge. The deadlift is a totally different movement and shouldn't be trained like a squat. It could probably be helpful if you're trying to maximize the amount of weight that you're pulling, but if you want to do that as exercise you might as well just train squats.

I would say that most people don't have the hamstring strength or core strength with stabilizing lat activation to deadlift the right way. I really had to work for several months before my body could hinge correctly. Even recently going back to the gym, my first deadlifts were quite squatty. We use squat movements so much compared to truly hinging. Our otherwise seated positions make it easy to neglect all the other muscle groups involved in deadlifting.

Last edited:
The best resource I've ever found for exercises for normal and even broken people is Dean Somerset.

I love you but I'm gonna have to disagree with you here, @Pako. If you drop your butt and your knees come forward, you're training a squat pattern and not a hip hinge. The deadlift is a totally different movement and shouldn't be trained like a squat. It could probably be helpful if you're trying to maximize the amount of weight that you're pulling, but if you want to do that as exercise you might as well just train squats.

I would say that most people don't have the hamstring strength or core strength with stabilizing lat activation to deadlift the right way. I really had to work for several months before my body could hinge correctly. Even recently going back to the gym, my first deadlifts were quite squatty. We use squat movements so much compared to truly hinging. Our otherwise seated positions make it easy to neglect all the other muscle groups involved in deadlifting.

It’s all good brother, and appreciate your input. When I see a bad deadlift, there are two things that are most common, legs aren’t bent enough (butts up in the air) and back is rounded. Coming out of the hole, you are driving with your legs, not your back, hence the squat reference. Good instructional video! 👍🏼

Tried to go as close to maximum bench press as I dared with no spotter, did a 152.5kg / 336lbs bench at under 100kg body weight.

I was slow at the bottom but I'm absolutely certain I could have done 3-4 more kilos with a grinder that day. Also this was a day after a heavy set of bench presses and squats and I felt a little sore. :scared: I think 160kg as absolute max. attempt could be possible in the next 5-6 months if I eat, sleep, train and deload properly.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go heavier without a better bar and bench, lol. The wobble would FREAK me out. Nice lift, though; that looked too easy.

Last edited:
4FAE8A80-BF71-46D5-A666-5218C17DAFA7.jpeg

I’m currently able to do 5x3 bench sets of 255 lbs - at 230lb body weight, a lot of that is unnecessary fat. It’s progress regardless.

Since my last post, I’ve also been improving with my deadlifts, getting to 305 lbs sets. My form has gotten much, much better as a result of practice.

So, the usual goal is to cut some weight while maintaining my current strength. 2,500 kcal/day is what I need to aim towards to get to 210 in the next 5 months. I can likely do that faster, but I want to take it slow like in the past.

(thanks for all of the advice over the years, everyone. A lot of the principles I learned here around 8 years ago I am still applying and making progress)

Last edited:
Has anyone here dealt wn umbilical hernia before? I was aware of it about a year ago, but it disappeared. After training deadlifts, I started to notice it coming back so I haven't been in the gym for the past two weeks.

It isn't that bad, but I will get surgery just in case. I'm just worried about how it will impact my lifting. It's a question I can ask my doctor, but I thought I would run it by here.

No experience with it in adults, lol. Shouldn't be bad as long as you can push it back in though. Not sure I'd just jump straight to surgery, but definitely worth talking to your doctor about it.

Has anyone here dealt wn umbilical hernia before? I was aware of it about a year ago, but it disappeared. After training deadlifts, I started to notice it coming back so I haven't been in the gym for the past two weeks.
Get it checked out with ultra sonic, just to be safe. I tore my belly button a year ago when cleaning a barbell to do heavy overhead presses, felt hot searing pain like a knife cut. Skipped all the exercises that required core strength and did most exercises seated for 2 months, it eventually healed. When it starts to become a hump GO SEE THE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY. That could be guts pushing through the tear and that's a life threatening condition.

As for my shenanigans - has anyone first hand experience and advice with cutting (weight) for a non-enhanced lifter?
I'm going to spend my holidays at the beach in a couple weeks and I simply want to look better. I've only cared about strength for a loooong time and I weigh 98 kilos at 184cm right now. I do have a hint of love handles and cannot see my abs so I guess I'm around 20%-22% body fat, I want to get down to 15% maybe sustainable 13%.
That means my lean mass is around 78 kilos and my target weight around 88kg.

Not sure how to train during the cut to preserve my strength and not lose muscle, I guess I will shift to less weight and more volume.
I wonder if I can do that in 10 weeks, never tried that before. :scared:

Last edited:
Not sure how to train during the cut to preserve my strength and not lose muscle, I guess I will shift to less weight and more volume.
Not a whole lot of experience, but what I read is to of course eat enough protein throughout the day maybe more than when not cutting. The second main thing was to reduce volume (sets/reps), but do heavy sets/reps to preserve strength.

In a caloric deficit, it's hard to keep strength and even more importantly, endurance. To burn fat and keep your muscle, keep your proteins high in the 1-1.5g per lb. of body weight per day. Get your caloric deficit from decreased carbs and little to no fat in your diet. Without the use of PED's, you will loose some lean tissue, but you can reduce how muscle mass you loose with slow and gradual dieting and doing enough cardio to help with being in a deficit but don't get too aggressive with diet or cardio. You are not going to want to loose too much too quickly if you want to keep your muscle mass. .5-1.0 lbs of loss per week would be a pretty good taper.

Good luck man, what you are trying to do in that short amount of time is really difficult.

No experience with it in adults, lol. Shouldn't be bad as long as you can push it back in though. Not sure I'd just jump straight to surgery, but definitely worth talking to your doctor about it.
I spoke with my doctor about it in the past, a year ago, but we didn't speak on it in relation to lifting. Since then, I have laid off any lifting. It sucks, but it hasn't been too bad. I will have to get surgery if I want to continue strength building.
Get it checked out with ultra sonic, just to be safe. I tore my belly button a year ago when cleaning a barbell to do heavy overhead presses, felt hot searing pain like a knife cut. Skipped all the exercises that required core strength and did most exercises seated for 2 months, it eventually healed. When it starts to become a hump GO SEE THE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY. That could be guts pushing through the tear and that's a life threatening condition.
I have to get a lot of stuff done, that's for sure. I have some belly fat, so the hernia is a little harder to notice. I haven't been in the gym for a while, but as you have said, I could do some exercises that don't require core strength.

Dude, everything requires core strength lol
Yes, yes, I know that - I should have said "exercises that don't require as much core strength or activation to do". At this point, we're just going into semantics, though I'm sure you knew what I meant.

Last edited:
Yes, yes, I know that - I should have said "exercises that don't require as much core strength or activation to do". At this point, we're just going into semantics, though I'm sure you knew what I meant.
Yeah, of course. Be careful and good luck.

Speaking of core strength, I decided to forget back day in the gym because all the equipment was being hogged by teams of instagram influencer wannabes. I just went over to the dumbbell rack, grabbed the lonely dusty 100 pounder, and did a bunch of Kroc rows. Holy crap my whole torso is feeling it today.

In a caloric deficit, it's hard to keep strength and even more importantly, endurance. To burn fat and keep your muscle, keep your proteins high in the 1-1.5g per lb. of body weight per day. Get your caloric deficit from decreased carbs and little to no fat in your diet. Without the use of PED's, you will loose some lean tissue, but you can reduce how muscle mass you loose with slow and gradual dieting and doing enough cardio to help with being in a deficit but don't get too aggressive with diet or cardio. You are not going to want to loose too much too quickly if you want to keep your muscle mass. .5-1.0 lbs of loss per week would be a pretty good taper.

Good luck man, what you are trying to do in that short amount of time is really difficult.
Thank you, this is most helpful! :dopey: Are there any things I should be considering in my lifting routine? I'm not entirely sure whether I should try to keep my max strength by doing mainly low repetition high weight sets or if I should focus on light bodybuilding exercises / volume to not overtax myself while being on a low caloric mode. My gut feeling says I should do both 50/50 but I never did a proper cut in my entire life so....

Last edited:
Dude, everything requires core strength lol
Not entirely, like I said I tore an abdominal muscle which was so bad I could not even pick up a water bottle from the floor and could only sleep in one position for weeks. What I could do was upper body exercises on a steep incline bench - barbell shoulder/chest presses, chest flyes and incline bench dumbbell biceps curls. Light bench presses with a flat back, your feet up and on the bench may be possible as well. Try those exercises with caution and very light weights and see how it goes.
If you have access to machines for those exercises that's even better because you don't have to pick the plates up / assemble the barbells.

Last edited:
I just took a baseline picture before starting my first ever cut just to gauge my progress. Just weighed myself, 98.5 kilograms 217lbs (at 185cm / 6'1), no flex and no pump. I'd guess myself around 19-21% bodyfat, for now I set my target at 90 kilos and then I'll see where I'm at.

baseline2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, this is most helpful! :dopey: Are there any things I should be considering in my lifting routine? I'm not entirely sure whether I should try to keep my max strength by doing mainly low repetition high weight sets or if I should focus on light bodybuilding exercises / volume to not overtax myself while being on a low caloric mode. My gut feeling says I should do both 50/50 but I never did a proper cut in my entire life so....
I would train as usual, give your muscles a reason to stick around. Typically athletes will continue to train as they have up until the final peak week of a show. That last week you are terribly depleted and you’ve started manipulating water. At this point, you are just trying not to get injured.

In you’re situation, you’re not doing anything extreme like that. What I do expect is maybe a slight decrease in strength and you may find having to do cardio or more cardio to maintain that caloric deficit. I find fasted cardio first thing to be most effective for targeting fat stores for initial energy.

Last edited:
I postponed cutting to sometime next year, I'm having too much stress at work right now and I found out that suboptimal nutrition while working out and having a demanding fulltime job is just too much for my body to handle, I was super tired all the time. :indiff:

Also just for fun I've been testing @Pako 's bench press program for standing strict shoulder presses. No idea if it that programming can be used for other exercises - I'm into week two of using it and its hard. Goal is to get back to my personal record, right now I'm doing the 215 lbs max week. Overhead pressing 3 times a week after bench presses is quite demanding

Last edited:
I postponed cutting to sometime next year, I'm having too much stress at work right now and I found out that suboptimal nutrition while working out and having a demanding fulltime job is just too much for my body to handle, I was super tired all the time. :indiff:

Also just for fun I've been testing @Pako 's bench press program for standing strict shoulder presses. No idea if it that programming can be used for other exercises - I'm into week two of using it and its hard. Goal is to get back to my personal record, right now I'm doing the 215 lbs max week. Overhead pressing 3 times a week after bench presses is quite demanding
I would also consider cutting the volume on the cut. That might help balance things out a little.

Going through a cut and being in a deficit is no joke my friend. I would say that nutrition and proper recovery are vital for a cut to keep energy levels and stressors in check. A multi mineral along with multi vitamins can help a ton, but you may also find that you need more sleep as well as better stress management tools.

You’ll have to let me know how that plan works for shoulder press. 👍🏼

Terrible accident while squatting - that's why I never go for absolute 1-rep maxes in squat period. :scared:
But to be honest I never thought something like this could happen when doing barbell squats. I've seen plenty of people dropping the bar forward with no problems.

Last edited:
:ill:

I never quite got why people use spotters for the squat. I figured if you have to dump it, you have to dump it. But I've also been done with 1 rep maxes in squat for a while. Found early on that it's not worth the risk for injury especially as I'm not competing. When I did do them I made sure to use a full rack or a squat rack with the "safety" bars on the side.

I also mainly do front squats now. And it's also been a while since I did high bar squats. When I do back squats I do low bar squats.

Last edited:
:ill:

I never quite got why people use spotters for the squat. I figured if you have to dump it, you have to dump it.
I've been almost stuck at the bottom several times myself, and I'm one of those squatters who have to lean WAY forward thanks to my levers, almost like doing good mornings. No way I could have dumped the barbell down my back.
I think if you are one of those guys that can have a super upright torso the entire range of motion (short upper legs) the danger is minimal.

The video has been a reality check for me, from now on I will squat with a higher rep count and I will leave 2 in the tank to be save. I usually go almost to failure with maybe one grinder left in the tank.
You’ll have to let me know how that plan works for shoulder press. 👍🏼
Not very well! :P I tried but the 215lbs week just totally trashed me and I could not complete it even though I know I can do 215lbs singles with the overhead press without too much effort. I think the plan is not suited for exercises that also target the core that much, core fatigue is very real.
Next week I'm going to try it seated - lets see how that goes.

Last edited:
I don't squat unless I can set up a rack with arms at the bottom of my lift. If I go totally ATG and slouch, the arms will catch the bar. Nobody else allowed on my platform in case it rolls back off the arms. I've seen some kids fall backwards trying to squat out of racks like this with a "spotter":
life-fitness0Signature-Series-olympic-squat-rack_1200x1200.jpg

I vividly remember the last fall I saw which was this dumb jock trying to get his dorky (probably autistic or at least on the spectrum) friend to work out with him. He actually made the newbie friend spot him and wound up falling backwards into him, dropping the bar on top of him, and then yelling at him for pulling him backwards instead of spotting him "the right way" by lifting the bar up. This was probably like 10-15 years ago already, but since then I have never squatted without a properly set up rack.

I just picked up a pair of 16oz gloves for my return to the gym, a new one. It has a set of bags I will be able to use.

I've always loved combat sports, so this will be a fresh approach. I do feel I will have some knowledge transfer. I eventually want to get into Muay Thai, even if it's for a short stint to teach me the basics.

Outside of that, I will be a fish out of water when it comes to lifting. I haven't lifted since April (when my hernia got worse). I haven't been able to afford medical coverage until now, so November will be the time I will focus on getting the surgery. I will stick with lighter weights for now.

1695000751010.png

I suspect this winter will be hard on me mentally, so I just want to get ahead of it by giving myself the best way of beating potential depression.

After nearly two months of being back in the gym, I’m back to being able to flat bench 245lbs at 5 reps and at compromise (started my time doing incline bench before).

Unlike previous times where I swore off supplements, I bought myself some créatine and have been using a protein powder at moments. I’m reserved at commenting on the benefits créatine had provided me with since I’ve just started using it a few weeks ago, but I’m curious about how my body will adjust to it.

I’ve also been implementing Muay Thai techniques into my heavy bag trainings. I generally do 40 minutes on the heavy bag.

Other than that, on track for progress. I love being at the gym, just peaceful.

Weirdest thing ever happened to me. I got a blister on my butt for spending too much time on my stationary bike for cardio so I did burpees instead yesterday. 4 Sets of 15 reps, those felt very easy but it was enough to get my heart pumping a little bit, not real cardio but better than nothing after a day in the office.

But now my lats are absolutely TRASHED. Never experienced lat soreness like that before and I find that super weird since I have been following a pretty hard bench press routine benching 3 times a week up to 157kg / 346lbs for a year now. Not to mention 250+ lbs rows and 200lbs overhead presses for reps.

So I only engage my lats when doing push ups? Which are super easy and I can do for like 50 reps? Whats going on? :scared:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back