Geoguessr

• Thread starter TB
  • 181 comments
I see that you got Guatemala several times, but the distribution was very tight to one area, same with Costa Rica ... I've made mental note of that :D

As for that last guess... I'm not should I'd have gone Bolivia myself, but there was a minibus with a Bolivian flag on the bonnet just around the corner from the start location.
Costa Rica seemed to only have like 2 locations with Street View. One: A park with a running trail sponsored by Powerade near a Stadium and Two: A random garden and road next to it. Who knew?

For the Bolivia one, I must have travelled in a different direction, but I found the Brazilian Flag and a bunch of Portuguese on multiple walls, hence my guess of Brazil. It didn't make sense for Portuguese to be in the middle of Spanish and Quechua speaking Bolivia.

My only Explorer Mode so far is 24,988 on UK. One game, one very near perfect gold. My Battle Royale stats are slipping, 15 wins from 34 games. Falling away from that 50% victory record :D

Costa Rica seemed to only have like 2 locations with Street View. One: A park with a running trail sponsored by Powerade near a Stadium and Two: A random garden and road next to it. Who knew?

Just golded Guatemala - turns out I was wrong! Only 1 location was anywhere near Guatemala city.

Today there's been a new Battle Royale mode released - Distance Royale. Basically you all have a minute (I think) to explore around and place your marker down. Everyone guesses and whoever is furthest away each time is eliminated. There is a rolling leaderboard showing how much closer and further away the players either side of you are (So if you're 20mi away and the guy in front is 15mi, it'll say 5mi). You have multiple guesses which can stack each round, so keep pressing and guessing if you're beginning to lose.

They need to sort out the XP because it's tiny and pathetic, but this mode is fantastic fun!

Today there's been a new Battle Royale mode released - Distance Royale. Basically you all have a minute (I think) to explore around and place your marker down. Everyone guesses and whoever is furthest away each time is eliminated. There is a rolling leaderboard showing how much closer and further away the players either side of you are (So if you're 20mi away and the guy in front is 15mi, it'll say 5mi). You have multiple guesses which can stack each round, so keep pressing and guessing if you're beginning to lose.

They need to sort out the XP because it's tiny and pathetic, but this mode is fantastic fun!

It's definitely harder than the normal Battle Royale mode, since you can't see what other people are guessing, and it feels like you get less time too. Agreed on the XP. The cumulative remaining guesses should be a multiplier.

There needs to be XP given out for your position each round and how close you get. I've had nearly 5 guesses now under half a mile, and I feel like getting super close like that under such time pressure should be giving XP. 78XP for coming second, when getting a random bend on a road in rural Ukraine perfectly in the 45 seconds feels like it should be worthy of 78 XP on its own.

Yeah, this new mode is still giving me problems...

Round one...
upload_2021-4-11_20-41-39.png

Managed to fluke it to round Two, where...

upload_2021-4-11_20-42-10.png

Managed to fluke that, to round three... where...

upload_2021-4-11_20-42-48.png

... which I didn't manage to get past... Black Screen of Futility seems to happen a lot in Distance Battle Royale.

So, "Competitive City Streaks" is now a thing.

What makes it easy, is that most of the time, you only have to determine the country, since the options of what cities it could be are already marked on the map. The time limit isn't crazy, for an urban environment, and as with Battle Royale, all active players are seeing the same map... so an absolute stinker will likely trip most people up. Early on, extra lives seem plentiful, if you wrong guess, and run out of time, you lose two lives, so it can go south pretty easily.

Haven't figured out the best strategy for checkpoints yet. My highest position was 8th, with 33 rounds and a 24 streak. Person in the lead was on 60+ streak.

I've made the top 3 in city streaks, only to end up losing my lives when a Spanish-speaking part of the world gives me loads of cities to choose from. I'm too European to quickly distinguish Mexico, Guatemala, Dominican Republic, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Bolivia, Uruguay and Argentina, so when there's loads of cities in that area I'm screwed.

Central and Eastern European capital cities can be difficult if you can't see much writing. Warsaw, Belgrade, Budapest and Bratislava are all on rivers and a Riverside bit does not help.

Also US cities is pretty much a "hope you have enough lives to guess wrong a few times".

Largely anonymous streets with a little Cyrillic trip me over more than South America, but yeah, it can be tricky. The US tends to spawn stuff that's either North/South, or East/West... and I'd say 80% of US locations I've had have been Washington DC.

Just got up to 3rd/4th... it really depends who's online. #1 was only about 28 streak, much easier than earlier.

edit: Could really do with it acknowledging a selected location when time runs out, I've lost a few rounds with the right location clicked, but not quite getting to the Guess button

Last edited:
Is that stats system something you can find on the website, or are you keeping track of that yourself on Excel?

I currently have only done 6 countries on Explorer Mode, but Golded them all first try.

France - 22601
BlurGermany - 24999
Hungary - 24969
Romania - 24821
Spain - 24671 (I'm so glad I found that Tenerife sign)
United Kingdom - 24988

I need to get back into Country Streak because that 409 I scored back in December is still my record and I'm a bit rusty. It was so close to the magic score of 420 and I just so want to reach that meme target.

Is that stats system something you can find on the website, or are you keeping track of that yourself on Excel?

Just keeping a Google sheet.

I currently have only done 6 countries on Explorer Mode, but Golded them all first try.
So far Japan's the only one I've completed that I didn't gold... It's just been a matter of how long it's taken. Included Estonia which I've just done, I'm averaging 10m 45s per round, which is quite a bit really. I don't think it's really possible to fluke a Gold, so you have to keep going long enough to find a decent road name and/or place name.

I need to get back into Country Streak because that 409 I scored back in December is still my record and I'm a bit rusty. It was so close to the magic score of 420 and I just so want to reach that meme target.

That's a big commitment! 32's my record :D

I've jumped back into Geoguessr recently and have forgotten how horrible I am at the game.

With that said, I played this Unexpected Places map and was able to guess exactly where one place based on the fact there were albatrosses everywhere.

So apparently San Marino is now a thing on GeoGuessr and is indistinguishable from Italy. RIP 112 streak

I sense an easy gold on Explorer mode though :D
Not really, it's small size means a couple of metres away will lose loads of points. I did a game mode around my home city of Oxford, and I was one street away on one (like 26m) and I scored something like 4182 points. Obviously it's easy to avoid being a long way away, but it's very much easier to be the whole other side of the country.

Not really, it's small size means a couple of metres away will lose loads of points. I did a game mode around my home city of Oxford, and I was one street away on one (like 26m) and I scored something like 4182 points. Obviously it's easy to avoid being a long way away, but it's very much easier to be the whole other side of the country.
Fair point, and going for a perfect score that would be a pain in the ass, but I've found the smaller maps far less time consuming to gold, simply because there's much less to search once you get a clue. Though admittedly they've all had coast-lines from which to get quickly get your bearings, San Marino is only 61 km², looking at my Jersey game (twice the size of San Marino) and my Gibraltar game (a tenth the size) I don't think the penalty will be that bad, 24,000+ should be relatively achievable.

What is the threshold for gold in Explorer mode? I had a "bad" run in France, only scoring 22,000ish, but still got gold.

What is the threshold for gold in Explorer mode? I had a "bad" run in France, only scoring 22,000ish, but still got gold.
22,500, so provided 2-3 of the rounds are gettable to a few metres, there's room to drop 1k or so on a more difficult round. I think my Senegal round was like that, I knew I was on a road between two towns, but had no way of judging how far along the road I was I just had to guess, dropped nearly 1900 pts but still got Gold (just).

edit: France was an absolute git for me. It's one of my highest explorer mode scores, but took 2 sodding hours.

Last edited:
22,500, so provided 2-3 of the rounds are gettable to a few metres, there's room to drop 1k or so on a more difficult round. I think my Senegal round was like that, I knew I was on a road between two towns, but had no way of judging how far along the road I was I just had to guess, dropped nearly 1900 pts but still got Gold (just).

edit: France was an absolute git for me. It's one of my highest explorer mode scores, but took 2 sodding hours.
Looks like I scored 22601 on it, so scraped a gold by 101 points.

San Mario on Explorer...

1632163634370.png

A little frustrating, I knew the last round was taking too long, so I just dropped the pin and ran once I knew roughly where I was. For the sake of another 10-15 secs I reckon I could have perfect scored it.

My 2020 Country Streak record of 409 still stands to this day.
My 2021 best score was 349, which I amazingly managed to hit twice, once early last year and then a second time on December 28th. First RIP was finding 3 signs saying "Ontario" and then finding out that meant a town in New York State, not Canada. Second time was seeing Thai script but it turned out to be Lao script in Laos.
Here's to hitting the magic 420 score in 2022!

Not a big fan of Rainbolt. Geowizard's still the only Geoguessr 'toober that I don't find annoying. Skillz though.

I got back on my quest for all Golds on explorer mode recently, current status:

1673954232013.png

Which is average 10m 40s per round for an accuracy of 122m.

Getting to the point where I need to learn Cyrillic!

Back