Get a First Look at iRacing's 2018 IndyCar in Action

Huh?! I thought there was supposed to be some large visor like windscreen on the car for driver protection? (edit: OK, found that this is a 2019 change and not even that is sure yet, for some reason) Also why did they ditch the boxes behind the rear wheels, didnt they say those were supposed to stop accidents like Wheldons fatal crash from happening?

No I believe they were causing too many incidents, when a car hits the body work behind the rear wheel, it would land on track and/or fly into oncoming cars.

Huh?! I thought there was supposed to be some large visor like windscreen on the car for driver protection? (edit: OK, found that this is a 2019 change and not even that is sure yet, for some reason) Also why did they ditch the boxes behind the rear wheels, didnt they say those were supposed to stop accidents like Wheldons fatal crash from happening?

The rear pods were already part of the design before Weldon's death (he did all the testing on the car, afterall, it is named after him). Their original intention was more to prevent front wings from cutting tires down than it was to prevent cars going airborn, and it did that job fairly well. Dario's career ending accident is proof that they didn't do much to prevent cars from sailing into the fence though. They were however very good at leaving debris on the track and causing full course cautions.

Besides that, they were almost universally hated from a cosmetic point of view by the fans and also added extra cost to the teams. Now that cost is gone, the lack of weight behind the rear wheels has made the car better balanced, and those huge, exposed rear tires now can be seen in all their sexiness.

Some fairly substantial updates to the new car in today's patch. I've only had a few laps in it so far but I have 8 of the tracks for this season and plan to race on all of them. Hope to go see the car in person at the IMS test in a couple Tuesdays too.

Dallara IR18

- The drafting scheme for this vehicle has been updated to provide more strength, more downforce loss, and less overall length.

- The front wing flap adjustment range now corresponds to front endplate angle and wicker limits. The range of pit stop adjustments for the front flap is also limited in the same manner.

- Tire grip has been reduced, most notably at large speedways, with an altered starting cure state to induce fall-off.

- Opponent cars will have single front and rear wing flaps at 1 mile ovals and Iowa.

- Weight jacker (WJ) information has been replaced with Push-to-Pass information on the digital display while on a road course.

- The MPG label on the digital display will now show LPL (Liters of fuel used Per Lap) when metric units is selected via the Options menu.

- The proper wheels should now appear on this vehicle in interface images.

- Fixed an issue where the damage a driver was seeing on an opponent car did not exactly match the damage the driver of that car actually had.

- Season setups have been updated.

Back