Get your pics rated by a Professional

• Thread starter MuFF
  • 178 comments
Canada
Vancouver, BC, Can
If you guys don't know, i'm a part-time freelance photographer and a full time working at a camera store. (i'm still in school) But what i see, especailly in the "rate my pics thread" are rated mostly because of the car, and not the composition. No offence to anyone, but most good pics are rated at like 6 or 7.

Post your pics here, i'll get them rated and you guys will definately learn a lot here! I'm not saying i'm perfect or anything, but any of you guys that want some professional opinions, i'm here and ready to help

is it ok if i send u a PM with a shot and can u rate it through the PM? thanks alot in advanced man, this is a great idea :)

oh btw, if u have time could u please stop by my gallery and critique my work :)

im sure he has made it clear he wants to help us. i think thats cool
ill probably post a pic in here and see what you think.

edit: and whaddya know here they are!

FaLLeNAn9eL
is it ok if i send u a PM with a shot and can u rate it through the PM? thanks alot in advanced man, this is a great idea :)

sure, i'll be glad to :)

gt_masta
Will you just rate a shot, or will you say the good and bad points and tell us what we can improve?

Ratings don't do much because you won't know where to improve. I'll tell you what's good and what not ;)

@ lmracer
i'll get back to you because i'm buzy right now :D

lmracer
im sure he has made it clear he wants to help us. i think thats cool
ill probably post a pic in here and see what you think.

edit: and whaddya know here they are!

1st pic:
What's good: very good angle of the vette, very nice composition
What needs working: you might want to leave more room at the bottom left. Makes the car a little more centered. Background is a little distracting. Find a background with more trees and that big white block is annoying.

2nd pic:
What's good: you have a good angle composition of the cars! location is sweet!
What needs working: Leave more room for the car at the bottom. The car is the main subject right? :D Colors a little too saturated. The high contrast made the colors blown out. It makes the image losing quality and detail.

MuFF
1st pic:
What's good: very good angle of the vette, very nice composition
What needs working: you might want to leave more room at the bottom left. Makes the car a little more centered. Background is a little distracting. Find a background with more trees and that big white block is annoying.

interesting ... i always thought it was better to not have the car centered to give an idea of where the cars been or where its going.

2nd pic:
What's good: you have a good angle composition of the cars! location is sweet!
What needs working: Leave more room for the car at the bottom. The car is the main subject right? :D Colors a little too saturated. The high contrast made the colors blown out. It makes the image losing quality and detail.

probably should take a little off the left and raise it up by same same distance from the left ... id say at that shutter speed, the spectators enjoying the car are just as important :P

Here's some for you. I own a 350D Canon and I'm doing photography as a hobby now. I really enjoy it and try to carry over some techniques to GT4. Here's some I thought were good, but maybe you can find some things I should improve on.

NOTE: I can't log on to my MuFF account, now i'll continue as Rikaro :) ONE pic per post! It's harsh for me lol

id say at that shutter speed, the spectators enjoying the car are just as important :P

in this case, you would actually want the viewer to concentrate on the car instead. Think of it this way. It would be confusing for viewers to see the main object.

speedy_2
Here's some for you. I own a 350D Canon and I'm doing photography as a hobby now. I really enjoy it and try to carry over some techniques to GT4. Here's some I thought were good, but maybe you can find some things I should improve on.

1st pic:
i don't have much comment on this. It's very studio like, but the car is moving :dunce: Try getting more detail in the background. Background is VERY important to the image

2nd pic:
what's good: If you're trying to make the car looks like it's moving, you've done a good job!
what needs working: If you're trying to make the car looks like it's NOT moving, then you should have turn the rim facing us. Black cars on white background is always hard. Car should be a little lower.

3rd pic:
what's good: Damn! I love this pic!
what needs working: We should see the Roof of the car too!

4th:
what's good: This is wallpaper material
what needs working: Blown out image. Take out all the purple. Looks like purple fringing (lense flaws)

I use a 300d now. Used to have a 20d and 5d. I don't see the use of the more expensive ones anymore.

eastley
How about this?

What's good: Good composition and angle of car 👍
What needs working: Too sharp! (yes i can't believe i've said this) If you sharpen it too much, the pic would look unnatural. I've always been told my pics were too sharp!

Black and white cars are the MOST DIFFICULT CARS to shoot. Especially when the background trys to steal the attention with C O L O R S :yuck:

Rikaro
that's right :)
Then it makes the picture totally boring. A picture doesn't have to be perfeectly parallel to be a nice shot, and it doesn't have to centered. I've seen many shots that are outstanding, and way better then a perfectly centered, and perfectly parallel shot.

I wouldn't mind seeing what you think about this one. I do agree with what Yoda said though, the pictures then get stagnant and repetitive. I do appreciate what your doin here, this can really help some of those around here looking to improve their pics 👍.

Rikaro
This is a great shot! Give it a little more room in the corners for the car.

thanks man.. yeah,the car could use a little more breathing room but i wanted to show that whole top but when i tried to give the car a little more space,the picture didn't look as nice.. :)

@Yoda

Of course there's no exact way of getting a perfect photo.
And i don't want to be postmoderate as well.
I do agree and i was like you too, but I'm just giving you a more professional perspective of what guide lines a professional does.

garnettrules21
I wouldn't mind seeing what you think about this one. I do agree with what Yoda said though, the pictures then get stagnant and repetitive. I do appreciate what your doin here, this can really help some of those around here looking to improve their pics 👍.

If you go a little bit closer, and put a wider angle 17mm? (due to the fact that there's too much limitations with GT) You'll get a more interesting picture.

PERFECT BALANCE
Here's something a little different.

And something a little more crazy. :D

@perfect balance:

I'll go straight to the points. The shadows are a little bit too harsh, but it gives a very atmospheric mood to the picture. Love the first pic! tweak the white balance to a little more blue.

A little color blown out in the 3rd pic, especially the tree on the top left. otherwize, 3rd pic is SOOOO DAMN cool haha :P

Back