Getting a PhotoMode render to a computer...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sven
  • 67 comments
  • 4,592 views
Kewl! :D Does this mean they've modeled the interior of all the cars as well ?!?!?
 
it looks like they have atleast done it on a few car (and if they have, does this mean we can drive from the interior, if they modeled it, mays well use it for more then photo mode)
 
Most likely just for Photo Mode. The PS2 still has a limit on how many polygons it can push, and adding the interior would probably take it over that limit. That's not an issue in Photo Mode, so they're free to use a high-poly, high-detail car model with full interior.
 
but if you think about it, if they can show the model of the car while racing, why not an interior, it shouldn't be that much more but i guess i do not know a whole lot about how much detail goes into each
 
PhatFat
These are lambo doors

*smack head* Duh, what was I thinking :\ :rolleyes:

I think they're still called lambo doors just because they open from the front and go up. I'll find out what they're really called.

***EDIT***

customautotrim.com has the not-so-lambo lambo doors listed as lambo doors (if that makes any sense).

It seems that the doors usually swing out to avoid collisions between interior door panels and the roof trim. It's less necessary to do so with Lamborghinis.
 
Car_Guy
but if you think about it, if they can show the model of the car while racing, why not an interior, it shouldn't be that much more but i guess i do not know a whole lot about how much detail goes into each

It's not the same model that's used in races. In a race, it requires not only the car model, but at least five other car models, as well as the entire track (Photo Mode only has parts of the tracks), as well as all of the AI routines for the five competitors, as well as the interface & control scheme for the human-controlled car. In Photo Mode, there's only a part of the track, one car, and one AI. And it's a very limited AI, only required to navigate a very small portion of the track where the photo is taken. This leaves a lot of system resources available, and allows them to load a much higher-detailed model, that probably has five to ten times the poly-count of the normal in-game model. Take a closer look at those cars up above, the 300SL and whatever the other one is. Do you see any segmentation there from a low (in-game) poly count?

Also, a full interior is only needed for Photo Travel, not for Photo Drive (or whatever it's called, the one where you snap a picture on the track while racing). I doubt you'll be going through the Corkscrew or Bergwerk with your doors open. And Photo Travel requires even fewer resources, since the car's not even moving.. no AI needed, only the model itself. So they can dump even more polygons into the model. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the car is the only thing that's actually "there".. I haven't figured out yet if the backdrop is actually a model or simply an image.

And we also don't know if all cars will have the open-door feature. Perhaps only the "supercars" or otherwise unique cars will have it (like the two cars shown above, with "different"-opening doors than the norm). So maybe the Ford GT will have it, but the Honda Civic won't. We just don't know.
 
Jedi2016
In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the car is the only thing that's actually "there".. I haven't figured out yet if the backdrop is actually a model or simply an image.
The backdrops are mostly 3D models.
 
plugged in my epson photo r210 which is not on the list and managed to get printing working. the full a4 hq prints come out with printer error but standard quality is fine.

on proper paper the print quality is excellent.

why must they torture us so?................
 
PhatFat
These are lambo doors

mf1_front_doors.jpg



They open kinda different

:drool:
 
Soon we'll be seeing Suicide-Scissor doors ala Koenigsegg CC2
 
It is nice that it is possible to transfer files to a memorystick, but I rather like to know if it is possible to export the photo to the PC as a tiff or jpg pic.
 
PjotrStroganov
It is nice that it is possible to transfer files to a memorystick, but I rather like to know if it is possible to export the photo to the PC as a tiff or jpg pic.
AFAIK the pics are being saved in JPEG format. As you can save them on a USB stick, you can plug it in your PC and there you are. Where's the problem?

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
the Interceptor
AFAIK the pics are being saved in JPEG format. As you can save them on a USB stick, you can plug it in your PC and there you are. Where's the problem?

Cheers,
the Interceptor

I thought it was only possible to put the small Photomode file on the USB stick, for sharing it over the internet.
 
PjotrStroganov
I thought it was only possible to put the small Photomode file on the USB stick, for sharing it over the internet.
Yeah I've read that too, but I've also read that the pics will be saved in JPEG format. On this screen from AGS ...



... you can see some saved photomode files. On the right you see the filesize. I don't think that the stats of one car, one environment and some camera settings need 300kB and more to be stored. On the other hand, a JPEG somewhere in the low megapixel area (as photomode-pics will be), should have about this size.
So if you ask me, I'd say that the pics will be stored as pics, and not just as some stats.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
AH, thank you. Thats very nice to know. :)
 
The way the McLaren F1's doors open was based on the way the Toyota Sera's opened. McLaren got hold of a Sera to check they would work on the F1.

The F1 driver is seated in the middle of the car. If it had "Lambo" or gullwing doors, the driver wouldn't be able to reach it to close it.
 
PjotrStroganov
AH, thank you. Thats very nice to know. :)
Well, this is just how I understand things, so I checked back with the official japanese Website. On the photomode page, it says the hell of a lot I dont understand and some stuff written in our language. I managed to extract the facts "1280x960", which will be the picture resolution I suppose, and "JPEG", which will be the file format we're talking about. If the photomode files would really be saved as some stats, why would the word "JPEG" be there?

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
And indeed the size of 388KB suggests that the photo's are jpeg. I think you are right.
 
the Interceptor
If the photomode files would really be saved as some stats, why would the word "JPEG" be there?
Put simply, GT4 will deal with just positional information (location, car, camera position, etc.): Photo Mode location and even replay images are built from that kind of information. The replay mode (Photo Driver) gets its positional information from the replay file, which is just numbers in its own right, while the PM location (Photo Travel) method will be a bit different, but still will be just number info.

This is done to keep the save files very small. We were quoted a few Kilobytes in size, but I haven't seen one yet to know if all PM files are the same size or not. If someone ever gets a PM file, I'd love to see one.

The JPEG files will obviously be very different in size because its now a bitmap. You cannot print a PM file directly, it needs to be rendered into a bitmap (an image file) by GT4 first.

Check my sig link for more PM info.

Cheers,

MasterGT
 
Sorry, but what exactly are you trying to say, MasterGT? Sure a simple file with positional information will be smaller in filesize than a JPEG picture. But will we be able to save JPEGs on the memory card or on a USB stick? From the screenshot in post #44, I'd say yes, cause those are way too many kB for a file with some positional info.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
I don't give a damn about printing the stuff. ;) I just want to publish the photo's on the internet to show it to others. For instance on forums etc. That's why I wanted to know if it would be possible to save the pictures as jpeg on the PC. It seems like it will be possible.

But MasterGT, I've read your photomode coverage, but it seems you haven't been able to save the pictures on your PC, am I right?
 
Hmm just tried to transfer a pic to my memory stick in the GT4 Japanese demo but I can't seem to get it to work/recognise my pen drive.

As much as I think photomode is just a fad, I did actually create quite a nice pic of the RX7 :lol:
 
T5-R
Hmm just tried to transfer a pic to my memory stick in the GT4 Japanese demo but I can't seem to get it to work/recognise my pen drive.
The japanese demo doesn't support saving the photomode pics, you can only print them.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
PjotrStroganov
I wanted to know if it would be possible to save the pictures as jpeg on the PC. It seems like it will be possible.

But MasterGT, I've read your photomode coverage, but it seems you haven't been able to save the pictures on your PC, am I right?
We've known about this ability for about a few months, now.
I was probably one of the first, if not the first, to announce this in English.

It's coming, but it seems it won't be possible til the full version is available.

Cheers,

MasterGT
 
Does anyone know if all USB pendrives are PS2 compatable? I just tried plugging mine into the PS2 for interest without a disc in and it didn't appear in the thing that shows what memory cards are inserted etc. Does this mean the PS2 doesn't recognise it, or are all USB drives kinda standardised so they all work?
 
The PS2 needs to have software on it that will tell it what to do with it. Such software does not exist within the system's firmware, so you need to have an appropriate software disc to use it.

I noticed on the japanese site it lists compatability with Sony "Pocket Bit" devices. Does anyone know details on these? Are they just standard USB flash drives, or will they have exclusive GT4 functionality?
 
asv
Does anyone know if all USB pendrives are PS2 compatable? I just tried plugging mine into the PS2 for interest without a disc in and it didn't appear in the thing that shows what memory cards are inserted etc. Does this mean the PS2 doesn't recognise it, or are all USB drives kinda standardised so they all work?
Because of backwards compatibility with USB 1.1 (which the PS2 has...), any USB memory stick should work, when GT4 (final) gets released.

PS2 games never had the ability to use it for much more than a hardware interface, mainly for game controllers, until things like the MAX Drive came along. That is a combination of a file utility and a USB mem-stick, though, since the PS2 doesn't have libraries to support it as a storage device. GT4 will be one of the few programs that will directly use the USB port for other purposes, when the final versions get released.

So, we wait...

MasterGT
 
ALPHA
Yeap, just get a USB memory stick thing and it will let you transfer the pictures to your PC, just at the moment in the demo the option isn't avaliable.

would it support my external HDD? lol
 
Sven
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a PhotoMode render from the PS2 onto a computer, in the new demo? I'm sitting here without an Epson, and it won't detect my Lexmark, so I was hoping there would be some way...I've heard ideas about taking the print data and streaming it to a file to build a bitmap, like the computer emulating printer functions, but I haven't found anything that would help me do that on Google. Does anyone have ideas or knowlege that could help?

PS2 > Printer > Scissors
> Scanner. Any questions? :D
 
I don't know if this has been posted already or not, but I checked out the image sizes of a few large renders I downloaded off of IGN, and they are in fact 1280 x 960. As far as their file size's, they're roughly in the 150-220KB range....So the file sizes shown on the photo album screen shot appear to be accurate.

Oh yeah, one other thing to note is that they're all in jpeg format....
 
Back