Getting poles in Daily Races

Without tanking your ratings, and assuming you don't have 24 hours a day to keep entering races hoping to get lucky in matching, the only way to get poles is faster qualifying times. Easier said than done, right? Well, there are definite steps that will help, but it's not a quick fix gimmick or guaranteed. Instead of spending your time trying to get a quick qualifying time on the daily race and entering different races every day, spend your time practicing on just one track. Here are the basic steps:

1. Pick either a track you are good at or even better a track that people hate (Big Willow maybe?).
2. Keep driving it in time trial mode (with BoP on) in the fastest Gr. 4 and Gr. 3 cars (add in Gr. 1 if you have a lot of time.)
3. Don't quit and retry after every mistake, complete the lap. You want to have a good number of laps to see your best sector times and how consistent you are to hitting them.
4. When doing laps, keep an eye on the +/- time from your fastest lap. After every corner are you gaining or losing time? Correct your driving so that you are either gaining or not losing much time after each corner.
5. Be very mindful of the time gained/lost on long straights. Sometimes you have to sacrifice on entry to get a good exit for a better time.
6. Look at your optimal time (from all of your best sectors combined.) Is your fastest full lap within about 0.2 seconds? If not, then you aren't consistent enough and need to keep refining.
7. Find the sectors you are inconsistent in and focus on those.
8. Do this every day until your track comes up in a daily race. Then do the same practice workout in the Daily Race Qualifying. Don't enter a race until you get a really good time and with all your previous practice, you will know what your best time is.
9. Keep entering that race. No guarantee that you will get pole, but at least you are maximizing your odds. Chances are you will increase your DR a lot in these races and possibly get fast laps/wins as well.
10. After all this, you should be much closer to the top 10 times. If you're satisfied with the results, pick a new track and go back to step 1. Once you "master" a single track, it is a lot easier to get faster times on other tracks. All that work will carry over to other tracks.

That’s an interesting thread. I always had the feeling that getting a pole was in part, due to how lucky you get in the matchmaking. Of course there’s pratice, time spent in learning tracks and learning how to drive a car further and further on the edge. But, I guess, there’s always the lucky matchmaking.

Note: I haven’t touched sport mode since patch 1:12. Don’t know what’s going on there lately.

Which daily races do you people enter the most; A, B, or C?

I've probably entered race C ~80% of the time, and there is always some fast qualifier(s). I think most of the fast drivers prefer the longer races, the ability to choose what car they drive, and fuel/tyre strategy. On average, I'd say I'll qualify 6-12 in race C. I've also found that when doing the one-make manufacturer races (ie race, A or B), my qualifying times are closer to the top 10 times, but GR3/4 is further off.

And as mentioned by others in previous posts, my most recent poles/wins have been after a drop in SR to less than 90.

Currently my stats are:
DR point: 42015
Poles: 11
Wins: 15
Fastest laps: 23
Races: 271
Region: Asia

I raced with you 3-4 times on 03/06 gr 4 at yamigawa. We are both B/S drivers and I know the first race I entered I messed around and qualified with a 1.45. The first race I was in was anywhere from S to D and anything in between. This started me near the back.

I went ahead and put in a good qualify lap of 1.40 and after that it was B/S only drivers the next 3-4 races in a row with me taking pole in 1 or 2 of them. Correct me if Im wrong but I think you were in the 1.42 range? Obviously this has a lot to do with luck if you are in an all B/S room. While I know 1.5 to 2 seconds is quite a bit but @ROCKET JOE has a point of trying to set just a tad better qualifying time and go buy a rabbits foot/find 4 leaf clover.

Nothing good :D

Seriously, you're better to wait until the next patch.

I'm starting to think you're right. I just got punted off again at Bathurst final corner, B/S driver. I look him up, he's used the glitch twice to get to DR.S and has been reset down recently for too low SR, normally a DR.A driver, and is now bumping and dive bombing his way through the field. All day long there have been people like that. PD just gave dirty drivers a license to kill by lowering their DR making them immune to penalties.

I love Mount Panorama yet the racing is quite toxic atm. Bouncing off walls and other cars, it has nothing to do with sim racing anymore.

As far as learning from Top 10 replays is concerned, braking points are the last thing I look at, if at all.
They might have a nice load cell brake pedal, you might be on a pad.
Some people are good at late, hard braking, others aren't.
And who knows what brake bias they are using.
Plus there are many other ways you could be losing time.

I tend to try a few cars out, and see if I find something that suits me for that track.
Then it's time to concentrate on improving my time.
But don't just keep circulating doing the same thing expecting any big changes.
Run some laps trying different the brake bias settings, use different racing lines, use a different gear on a few select corners, change up earlier, change up later, study the track and identify the important corners needing a good exit and try slow in fast out, etc.
The list can be quite extensive without bothering with trying to match braking points.

Once you're happy, hopefully you can find a replay with someone using the same car.
Compare sector times to see if there a sector you lose most time in, what gears are they using on certain corners, when do they change up in the rev range, is there a section where they use different lines, I can never hit that apex with that same line - am I pushing too hard there, etc.?

That's the sort of stuff that I look for in replays.

Last edited:
Forget the daily races. The best time to attempt qualifying would be in an FIA race ten. That way everyone only has the ten minutes, giving only a few chances to set a goodun. I set most of my fast laps this way.

One thing I noticed it's much easier to get a pole in the afternoon during monday-friday period.

Once you do get a pole in a certain track it's best to just milk that cow as long as you can if you want to run up your pole count.

Recognize the tracks where you have the best chance for a pole. For me it's the shorter tracks, Big Willow and Lago Maggiore.

That's the opportunic approach I guess.. Get faster would be the best thing :D

I've gotten 25 poles (vs 55 wins / 59 fastest laps) in 302 races. Feels like there's 400 more races to do if I want the Senna Trophy.

I’m Dr 63,907
410 races completed
106 wins
50 poles
128 fastest laps

I’m trying so hard to get that pole position trophy as of late but it’s so difficult at Monza and one of the Tokyo expressways I’m really strong and often can get very close or even in the top 10 same with group 1 races but I’ll still often find the one guy who’s also in the top 10 aha.

I don’t do many laps though maybe a couple at most between a race cos often my first attempt is my best don’t ask me how that works

What I really need is a Gr3/4 Daily at Interlagos. 5 of my 9 wins have come from that lol.

WHAT DID I SAY?! ALL I NEEDED WAS INTERLAGOS BABY! FINALLY

I lost the race but I don't even care, I just wanted another pole! Finally!!!! :D
PS_Messages_20180311_083602.jpg

I like your relentless dedication to the Viper :lol:
I've tried other cars man, I really have.

I'll run a crap ton of laps in a different car, and put up an okay time, switch to my Viper and beat it in less than three laps. It suites me really well.

Edit: I just re-entered the race and qualified second to the same S driver that just kicked my butt. I typed in the chat "#rematch" and then the game crashed -_-

Last edited:
I've tried other cars man, I really have.

I'll run a crap ton of laps in a different car, and put up an okay time, switch to my Viper and beat it in less than three laps. It suites me really well.

Edit: I just re-entered the race and qualified second to the same S driver that just kicked my butt. I typed in the chat "#rematch" and then the game crashed -_-
That's cool! I assume you started the game with that car? You seem to know it like the back of your hand ;)

The game doesn't want you to defy the system (DR B beating DR S) :lol:

Well, you aren't qualifying well enough if you can win 9 times more races than you can pole on. These races that you win mean that you are the fastest driver, so you should be setting better times.
That's not true bro, look at his stats again:

TheGeologist:
Hmm... interesting. Mine don't see too similar

Sport mode wins - 9
Sport mode poles - 1
Fastest laps - 3

He was only the fastest driver (measured over one lap) in 1/3 of his wins, the rest are clearly coming through good race craft and staying away from trouble.

I find Fastest Laps to be a better correlate of race wins than poles- qualifying in the dailies (not FIA races) isn't as good of an indicator because of its format.
You don't know the assists people use to qualify, they could be in a different car, maybe they spent 5 hours and got that 1 bonza lap out of hundreds of wrecks but they'll never get close to it in the race.

I've learnt to not worry too much about the qualifying times others get, just because as I say, you have no idea what they did to get it, and so long as you're consistent in the race you'll often be faster, in real terms - as indicated by your wins.

Robben your stats were similar weren't they? High correlation between Fastest Laps and Sport Mode Wins, mine are too:

Distinct Days Game Access - 48
Sport Mode Completed Races -164

Sport Mode Wins - 28
Sport Mode Poles - 16
Fastest Laps - 27

Now you could say the same of me, that I'm not qualifying well enough, but my first week or so aside I'm qualifying as well as I can - and I qualify far better in the FIA races than I do in the dailies.
I have almost twice as many Fastest Laps as Poles, and the fastest laps are more often than not getting converted into a win. So it's just that I don't have that crazy one lap speed.

Whether or not that's because I'm not qualifying well enough, or because the qualification system in the dailies just isn't suited to my driving style, is up for debate, I'd say :)

TheGeologist:

Sport mode wins - 9
Sport mode poles - 1
Fastest laps - 3

He was only the fastest driver (measured over one lap) in 1/3 of his wins, the rest are clearly coming through good race craft and staying away from trouble.

I find Fastest Laps to be a better correlate of race wins than poles- qualifying in the dailies (not FIA races) isn't as good of an indicator because of its format.
You don't know the assists people use to qualify, they could be in a different car, maybe they spent 5 hours and got that 1 bonza lap out of hundreds of wrecks but they'll never get close to it in the race.

I've learnt to not worry too much about the qualifying times others get, just because as I say, you have no idea what they did to get it, and so long as you're consistent in the race you'll often be faster, in real terms - as indicated by your wins.

Robben your stats were similar weren't they? High correlation between Fastest Laps and Sport Mode Wins, mine are too:

Sport Mode Wins - 28
Sport Mode Poles - 16
Fastest Laps - 27

Now you could say the same of me, that I'm not qualifying well enough, but my first week or so aside I'm qualifying as well as I can - and I qualify far better in the FIA races than I do in the dailies.
I have almost twice as many Fastest Laps as Poles, and the fastest laps are more often than not getting converted into a win. So it's just that I don't have that crazy one lap speed.

Whether or not that's because I'm not qualifying well enough, or because the qualification system in the dailies just isn't suited to my driving style, is up for debate, I'd say :)

Qualifying system for the Dailies suits the hotlappers who can happily spend all day pounding around the track by themselves, but panic every time a car gets within a second of them. FIA races show them up as being bang average when the pressure's on.

I've had 4 poles in Sport Mode and many of top 5 starts. I don't know how everyone else feels but it didn't take me long to not feel excited about it anymore. Normally the top 2 people in the race just pull away from the rest of the field or if everyone is very close on lap times it has a AI feeling about it because everyone follows in a straight line. The excitement of racing is somewhat lost.

To Many people are getting so tied up into their DR that they start racing the rating system and not the others on the track. Its really taking the fun out of racing. I like to do the one make race's (race A and some days race B) because it keeps the field as leveled as you possibly can.
I started not to qualify anymore and start from the rear. It might not be the best thing for your DR but it's absolutely the most fun.

Now you have to work your way through the field with others who are willing to race a little more and you find yourself in all kinds of battles and different situations. Also others like having someone faster to follow while trying to learn that person's racing line first hand.
It brings that excitement back to racing and mixing it up with others.

I'm DR B/SR S and although by doing this I seem to stay in the lower DR B range but I haven't fallen out of the B rating yet by doing so. Your not going to get any wins this way but finishing 4th or 5th is very possible.
So if your DR is not the most important thing to you but having fun racing is then I suggest you give it a try. I like it much better than qualifying pole.

I've had 4 poles in Sport Mode and many of top 5 starts. I don't know how everyone else feels but it didn't take me long to not feel excited about it anymore. Normally the top 2 people in the race just pull away from the rest of the field or if everyone is very close on lap times it has a AI feeling about it because everyone follows in a straight line. The excitement of racing is somewhat lost.

To Many people are getting so tied up into their DR that they start racing the rating system and not the others on the track. Its really taking the fun out of racing. I like to do the one make race's (race A and some days race B) because it keeps the field as leveled as you possibly can.
I started not to qualify anymore and start from the rear. It might not be the best thing for your DR but it's absolutely the most fun.

Now you have to work your way through the field with others who are willing to race a little more and you find yourself in all kinds of battles and different situations. Also others like having someone faster to follow while trying to learn that person's racing line first hand.
It brings that excitement back to racing and mixing it up with others.

I'm DR B/SR S and although by doing this I seem to stay in the lower DR B range but I haven't fallen out of the B rating yet by doing so. Your not going to get any wins this way but finishing 4th or 5th is very possible.
So if your DR is not the most important thing to you but having fun racing is then I suggest you give it a try. I like it much better than qualifying pole.
Might try this on the other account

From my experience people are the front tend to race you a bit more, and if not they'd stick to you until the very end and then mount a surprise attack at the last corner. The pressure on the latter method is tremendous

I guess it's the midfield that's calmer? I don't know just my personal observations

Might try this on the other account

From my experience people are the front tend to race you a bit more, and if not they'd stick to you until the very end and then mount a surprise attack at the last corner. The pressure on the latter method is tremendous

I guess it's the midfield that's calmer? I don't know just my personal observations

That's probably more true in Gr.3 Gr.4 or Gr1 race's but then again it could just be the times of day I get on and play. I've had a few good race's up front but I seem to have even more coming from the back.

WHAT DID I SAY?! ALL I NEEDED WAS INTERLAGOS BABY! FINALLY

I lost the race but I don't even care, I just wanted another pole! Finally!!!! :DView attachment 721104
Oh, hey! A fellow Viper driver!

Well, okay. I only have that and the Toyota 86 for Gr.4 cars atm. Took out the Viper at Interlagos despite never racing on it before. Finally got a few poles at the end once my Q time came down to mid 38s.

That's probably more true in Gr.3 Gr.4 or Gr1 race's but then again it could just be the times of day I get on and play. I've had a few good race's up front but I seem to have even more coming from the back.
well that decides it. Can't wait to start at the back when I play GTS. Wish me luck :D

TheGeologist:

Sport mode wins - 9
Sport mode poles - 1
Fastest laps - 3

Very simplified... he got 9 wins which means that from start to finish of 9 races, he was faster than everyone else.

But yeah I guess that isn't speed over a lap (which is what qualifying is). 👍

Yeah this is true, but the fact that qualifying lap determines where you start and where you start has a massive bearing on where you finish means you can't not pay attention to it. True, consistency and avoiding contact is a definite path to good results without a good start... (in fact, now I'm far enough past the border of B/A and being matched with full grids of A (and some S), starting at the back even after ages qualifying, this is now my only way of getting a reasonable result :lol: and when I say reasonable result, I mean top half.)

High correlation between Fastest Laps and Sport Mode Wins, mine are too:

Sport Mode Wins - 28
Sport Mode Poles - 16
Fastest Laps - 27

Good results dude!

Yeah, mine are similar to each other:

Sport Mode Wins 25
Sport Mode Pole Position 21
Sport Mode Fastest Laps 24

Total races 478

Still more wins and fastest laps than poles though....

Last edited:
As an interesting side story, myself and a friend of mine often compare stats, he is DR C SR S, I am DR B SR S. I am always quicker than him in qualis, and typically 1-2 seconds off the top 10 times (except for Monza, Interlagos and Nurburgring GP where the wheel racers seem to be a lot quicker- I'm a pad user)

So in 155 races, I have 17 poles, 14 wins. My friend in DR C, has 37 poles and 32 wins. We are both on pads, I just think it is interesting the gulf between DR B & C and it kinda highlights if you are in B just how much of a challenge you are up against if, like me, you invariably face DR A and even S players.

I'm gonna move to using manual gears and see if I can get nearer the top times

Last edited:
Still more wins and fastest laps than poles though....

Don't worry about it :) Those poles that you didn't get in the races where you either won, had the fastest lap, or both, you very likely would have got were the qualifying format more realistic; like in the FIA races.

TheGeologist:

Sport mode wins - 9
Sport mode poles - 1
Fastest laps - 3

Sport Mode Wins - 28
Sport Mode Poles - 16
Fastest Laps - 27

There’s no indication that he got his fastest laps during races he won.

Personally, I rarely ever risk pushing the limit too far when I’m in leading a race!

The only way to be sure to get poles... (without being in the top 10 fastest times - even then you may be getting paired with guys higher up the leaderboard.) ...is run a fast qualifier as Robben said, but tank your DR rating till you get pole, come last in the race, keep reentering the same race and keep getting pole but also keep coming last.

Edit - on your way down DR:B/DR:C/DR;D (whatever it takes for your lap to be pole), you will still be competing for the pole from other people who are trophy hunting or running on a sub account.
I've no idea why anybody would want to do that? Winning a race from the front is pretty dull (I know you're only suggesting it).

We are both on pads, I just think it is interesting the gulf between DR B & C and it kinda highlights if you are in B just how much of a challenge you are up against if, like me, you invariably face DR A and even S players.

I agree - I had 13 poles, 13 wins, and 11 fastest laps for the couple of days back when the game came out before I became B DR. Since then I have run over 600 Sport races, and haven't had any poles, wins, or fastest laps!

I generally start in the bottom third of the grid, but have managed to make sufficient progress in those 600+ races to (eventually!) get to DR A - I don't think it'll be easy to maintain it though.....

Back