Getting quicker....

• Thread starter Ian JB
  • 137 comments
The longer the race and the higher the tire wear the bigger the difference for me.

Initial tests are a no for me.

Maybe it's just because I've run TCS 0 for so long but I could barely get within .5 sec of my quality time at RBR with TCS at 2. It was easier to control the car, sure but it also felt a bit sluggish. I turn it back to 0 and I'm running .1 off the time again.

The longer the race and the higher the tire wear the bigger the difference for me.

Am I to understand you have more tire wear with TCS in the longer races than without? I am already at a disadvantage with regards to tire wear because I am using the DS4 so maybe I should learn TCS 0 (wreckfest here I come).

Am I to understand you have more tire wear with TCS in the longer races than without? I am already at a disadvantage with regards to tire wear because I am using the DS4 so maybe I should learn TCS 0 (wreckfest here I come).
I have less tire wear with TCS on. It's a good idea to learn to run with it both off and on. To To go fast with it on you need to get on the gas as you open up the steering or it will engage

Ross Bentley, Ultimate Speed Secrets.

Skip Barber, Getting Faster.

Lewis Carroll, Drive to Win.

Those are three primary sources I've read that all say that the procedure to follow in getting progressively faster is:
  1. Drive the correct line
  2. Maximize corner exit speed
  3. Maximize corner entry speed/optimize braking.
  4. Maximize mid-corner speed.
That's in order of importance and amount of time gained. So you gain whole seconds to several tenths by working on the first two, and tenths to hundredths working on the last two. The faster you are the less time to be gained across the board, obviously.

But those three books all support my point that braking is not the first thing you work on to go faster regardless of your skill/speed.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thing is, I already got #1 and #2 down. So now to optimize #3 I do the BB switching as mentioned. Obviously everyone is on a different learning curve so tailor my advice accordingly.

Back in GT6 GT Academy, when we had telemetry in the game, I analysed the heck out of my lap compared to the top guy. Basically I'm losing about 0.2 sec every corner. Not at the entry, not the apex, not the exit. But just gradual loss through each of them. The brake/throttle/steering trace is virtually the same unless you zoom in to millisecond scale. The time delta trace is a smooth increase, not punctuated by spikes. It's not that I'm making big mistakes, I'm just that little bit worse in accuracy compared to the top guy. Brake 1m late here, miss the apex by 0.5m there, accelerate 0.1 sec later here. It all adds up and at Spa which is a 7km track, the final difference is 2.182 second (Nissan GT-R GT3). I keep note of it, so I can track my progress over the years since but I haven't been able to improve on that. It is what it is. I've hit my internal accuracy limit and not matter how much I practice even until the end of my life I probably wouldn't get any faster. So now I just focus on getting all the little extra things right. Tyre/fuel management, optimizing BB, racecraft, strategy, all that crap that may not make too much difference, but when you can't by improving your driving anymore, it does.

You may be slower than me, so in your case there are still LOADS of time to be gained from tidying up lines and exits. That's great, you still have lots of improvement in front of you and a lot of motivation 👍 Eventually you'll hit the plateau as well, and you'll see what I mean.

I hope that makes sense :)

True dat. Plus I’ve yet to see the examples of cars and the ‘correct’ bb setting per corner that gains those tenths lol. Show me the money.
Plus imo if a person likes twiddling and tinkering with a bunch of settings there’s pc games for that or ACC. GTS is driver ability, that’s what’s great about it. You can hit top 1 percent or better by just driving without adjusting a thing, if you know how to drive as is taught irl by Bentley and others.

LH Challenge at Maggiore. I was struggling to get within 0.5 sec but then I did the BB switching thing and beat him in half an hour.
T1-4 BB 0
T5 and esses BB +5
Big banky boi BB +1
Rest to finish BB +5

I could give more examples but that's the main one.

Funny you should say ACC is a game for tinkerers. I have over 50 hours now in ACC on Steam, and I haven't touched the settings one bit because the default aggressive setups are already pretty damn good. I just enjoy the physics and FFB in that game. Haven't done a single race either, because my crappy laptop lags too much even with all graphics turned down :lol: Unlike in GTS where all cars have nonsensical ARB 7/4, +0.60 rear toe and too high LSD Accel.

And if you're thinking perfect setup in AC will immediately make you world champion, think again. They probably only help find 1 second or so. The fast guys are just fast, no matter what they drive. Same with GT.

I’ve been posting times in top one percent of NA on dailies I fancy for over a year now tcs3. Bb0.

Again you keep saying this, but no evidence given. None of your posts on the site ever contains a picture of your driver ID so people can't check you on kudos.

Top percentage means nothing btw. It's the time delta to top that counts.
- A lot of people don't tryhard daily leaderboards
- Less people are playing the game now than at release
- Depending on the combo you pick, it might be less popular so easier to get high rankings (e.g. daily A is always least popular due to road cars)
- NA players are only a subset of worldwide, and not even the strongest region (probably EMEA or JP)
So saying top 1% doesn't mean a lot. And if you learn to drive without TC, I bet you'll go even faster.

I've been watching top replays from dailies/FIA/TT and the live event streams since day 1. NONE of the top drivers ever use TC except on race starts. These guys will take any small advantage they can get, but TC isn't one of them. Not in GTS. No matter what your beloved Ross Bentley said. There are a few of the elite drivers on GTP that will vouch for that.

I can go on but honestly, from my experience of internet debates throughout the years this will just go nowhere. So happy to end this here.

Last edited:
So saying top 1% doesn't mean a lot

It means better than the other 99. I take pride in what I’ve accomplished, because it took a lot of work to get there. It took learning and then applying knowledge to achieve a goal (improving)
I never thought I’d end up competing against the level of player I’m capable of when I try hard.
I did it though and it started with Bentley. His book Ultimate Speed Secrets.
For me everything is built not by copying a replay of a gamer. For me it’s built on understanding and foundational knowledge which can be applied in game.
I enjoy knowing what I’m doing when I race. I enjoy knowing exactly what it is I’m trying to do.
I think that comment was low as was the last jab I won’t bother quoting.
On Lewis Hamilton Maggiore tcs3 bb0 beat him without too much fuss. He’s slow there. He’s quick outta the last turn at Interlagos but Tcs3 bb0 gets a solid lead before that and wins.
There’s always more to learn. Even at the top there’s room for improvement.
Most people might say it’s impossible to get diamond with tcs3 bb0.
As far as braking goes imo if you need to use brake balance adjustments to get car behavior that’s fine, but that’s letting the game do it.
If you can modulate both throttle and steering you can use bb0 to make it do what you want under over steer like a real car.

Last edited:
I think that comment was low as was the last jab I won’t bother quoting.

None of what he said was low so quit being so hyper sensitive about everything. We're just talking, not attacking.

I get what you're saying and even agree with it but the thread title says "Getting Quicker". Not "How do I race safely?" or "How can I stop losing time?" Believe it or not, a couple of seconds off the top time is pretty easy to do in GTS (with enough practice) but dipping into those two seconds is a whole new world for me. Everything I do has to be improved by a fraction of a second and that's what "Getting Quicker" means to me. Having the same level of attention to detail I always see in the top splits as they're the perfect example of how to drive a car and track to find lap time, not what some bloke wrote in a book you read.

On LH Maggiore tcs3 bb0 beat him without too much fuss.

Hmmm...my spidey senses are tingling... They've been wrong before though so GG if that's true.

I get what you're saying and even agree with it but the thread title says "Getting Quicker". Not "How do I race safely?" or "How can I stop losing time?" Believe it or not, a couple of seconds off the top time is pretty easy to do in GTS (with enough practice) but dipping into those two seconds is a whole new world for me. Everything I do has to be improved by a fraction of a second and that's what "Getting Quicker" means to me. Having the same level of attention to detail I always see in the top splits as they're the perfect example of how to drive a car and track to find lap time, not what some bloke wrote in a book you read

Because this threads annoying I just did Interlagos Lewis Hamilton. One second off the best time on the leaderboard with tcs3 bb0. The laps shared in game if you search ‘tpc’. under replays. The Maggiore laps in there too I think from yesterday late.
For me I loathe time trials, to me it’s just who spends the time and really gets into the combo. It’s pretty rare that I really get into it enough. I hit Autopolis Red Bull jr and to NA top ten with tcs3 bb0.
Jmo but you can copy streamers on that’s what you like, but what I like is having the basis conceptually to use as I see fit.
I’m not going to agree at all they are a perfect example no way. They are not perfect.
Jmo the key to this game in gt cars is simple it’s balancing the car better which creates a higher limit and allows one to carry max speed then you combine that with using the whole track.
I agree about getting inside that last 2 seconds, but really what you’re telling me is you’ve no idea how to get faster. “Faster everywhere”
Like the Legend guy said “fast guys are just fast, nothing you can do except brake balance”
That’s a load of crap. It’s not easy if you don’t know and are just guessing...
Ie
“How’s he getting through that corner so fast?”
Well maybe if you read some real information, it could be applied to your own improvement which would then also lead to further enjoyment.
All it’s about is fun, to me learning is fun, improving makes it fun.
You don’t improve by doggedly doing the same thing over and over.
Practice makes permanent, it’s no guarantee of speed, but if you know what you’re doing you can benefit from practice.
:)

Hmmm...my spidey senses are tingling... They've been wrong before though so GG if that's true.

Gg?

Edit my main point is anyone can learn to be fast, with real information and hard work and applying their mind.
Brake balance is nothing compared to real knowledge. Real work. Real application of ones cranium.
There’s always more to learn.

Last edited:
I agree TCS makes the car feel sluggish, and it's probably slower but so many seconds and races lost due to spinning... makes you consider if it's worth using TCS 0, at least at beginner/intermediate level.

Last edited:
Like the Legend guy said “fast guys are just fast, nothing you can do except brake balance”
That’s a load of crap. It’s not easy if you don’t know and are just guessing...

That's not what I said. Obviously something is not getting through here.

I've been playing racing games since 1998 mate. Been trying every way to get faster since the 2010 edition of GT Academy. I wouldn't be switching BB, if I feel I could still find easier improvements elsewhere.

The aliens, they are fast regardless of what settings they use because they just have that little bit better car control, accuracy and anticipation than me. It's not something you can easily cover with practice. If you take an average guy off the street and train him for the rest of his life, do you think he can run 100m faster than Usain Bolt, if his body isn't naturally gifted for it?

Hard work beats talent, but only if talent doesn't work hard. Problem is, when you start getting near the top, everyone's talented, and everyone works extra hard. If I work harder and find improvements, the aliens will also find the same improvements and you're back to square one. It doesn't solve the initial talent gap.

Ok maybe you are a driving god and you can go fast with TC3 & BB0, but not me. And most of the top drivers would also disagree with you on TC usage. And I would rather follow the top GT Sport players, rather than Ross Bentley for this specific game. For real life, I would gladly follow Ross and have an open mind as to what settings are fastest.

Searching the game for "TPC" replay isn't specific enough mate. There are lots of fast drivers with that tag, and how am I supposed to know it's really you?

Edit my main point is anyone can learn to be fast, with real information and hard work and applying their mind.
Brake balance is nothing compared to real knowledge. Real work. Real application of ones cranium.
There’s always more to learn.

Funny you say that, because F1 engineers spend hours with the driver optimizing the settings on the steering wheel for that perfect lap. Brake bias, differential, energy storage etc. But I guess those people don't use their cranium eh? ;)

Last edited:
Hard work beats talent, but only if talent doesn't work hard. Problem is, when you start getting near the top, everyone's talented, and everyone works extra hard. If I work harder and find improvements, the aliens will also find the same improvements and you're back to square one. It doesn't solve the initial talent gap.

This is true, regardless of what people say and I agree.
I’ve lived it in college sports. At some point you do run into more talent than you have.
It’s no different from anything else, no matter how much Forrest Gump tries he’ll never do calculus...

Ok maybe you are a driving god and you can go fast with TC3 & BB0, but not me. And most of the top drivers would also disagree with you on TC usage

Sure people disagree but most immediately turned off TCS upon receiving the game, due to bias from previous titles.
I never was biased, because this was my first title. I’ve since played all the titles on console.

The aliens, they are fast regardless of what settings they use because they just have that little bit better car control, accuracy and anticipation than me

Lightning is in engineering school, as I understand it. Fraga is also quite intelligent and races formula cars professionally. I’m suggesting maybe there’s knowledge you lack that could help you some, maybe not maybe you are a vehicle super genius and know everything there is to know.

I've been playing racing games since 1998 mate. Been trying every way to get faster since the 2010 edition of GT Academy. I wouldn't be switching BB, if I feel I could still find easier improvements elsewhere.

Yes games experience is one thing, however it’s not the real world and the newer games are more accurate reflections than older.
I’m like you, middle aged, there’s a talent limit, I’m just saying that what’s working for me is applying real world principle.
Now, at alien level, which I’m not ever going to be, in all these games, they exploit or take advantage of the simulations weaknesses.
For me within 1-1.5 on tt is plenty, occasionally I exploit a little but for me I don’t care for some of those techniques.

Searching the game for "TPC" replay isn't specific enough mate. There are lots of fast drivers with that tag, and how am I supposed to know it's really you?

under discover ‘replays section’ search tag ‘tpc’ there’s also tons of content from others on the team.
You’ll see laps, I don’t ocd on times or get the max out unless I’m really into a combo.
Last one I did that was RB JR on Autopolis where I was top ten when the week was finished.
There’s no other guy with seabass in the name.
That’s an alt account of mine. Today I shared an Aston Martin lap from another acct too. I got 15 minutes in this morning hit 29.7 tcs3 bb0 default abs, ratty lap with mistakes but not bad for a few laps before work.

Funny you say that, because F1 engineers spend hours with the driver optimizing the settings on the steering wheel for that perfect lap. Brake bias, differential, energy storage etc. But I guess those people don't use their cranium eh? ;)

Ok

Maybe looking outside what you know from gaming will teach you something new, maybe not, but dismissing it without investigating seems daft.
I played with bb tons, never saw too much benefit on gr3/4/1.

Last edited:
Honestly your post is full of contradictions.

You tell people to look outside gaming, then just dismisses everything I said about switching settings learned from F1.

You say you can make a car understeer/oversteer while at BB0, but then why don't you also apply that same car control skills to drive without TC? And just so you know, TC in this game cuts the throttle a little bit during every upshift, so you're basically throwing away tenths on the straights for no reason.

On Gr.1, BB is even more critical especially the hybrids, because it affects battery regen rate. This has been well documented. But I guess Ross Bentley doesn't do it so who cares.

Anyway, I found your ID, thanks. K score 83 and DR peak of 54k, though you do sandbag quite a lot to farm wins in lower splits and currently at DR 26k. Also your SR trace is all over the place. I guess Ross Bentley doesn't teach how to drive clean sadly.

https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=10013772

You're slightly faster than me on average (K score 80 and DR peak 52k). I respect that. But still nowhere near the World Tour aliens. You'll probably be even faster if you learn to drive without TC ;) But just to humour you, I'll try the remaining LH Challenge that I still can't diamond with TC3/BB0 later today 👍

Also you said you had top 10 in Autopolis RB Jr. On the leadearbord you're top 30 America and top 300 worldwide with a 1.42.4. Still very good mind, I only did 1.43.7, though I only did 5 laps there probably. As for going full OCD, the top drivers probably only need 30-60 mins max to get their times. Anything you do more than that, will inflate your rankings and not representative of true base pace.
https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/rankings.php?sec=daily&eid=21568
https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/rankings.php?sec=daily&eid=21559,21571,21568,

Hizal lap for reference WR.

Anyway, I know where you're at now, so this discussion is done now as far as I'm concerned.

Peace :cheers:

Last edited:
lso you said you had top 10 in Autopolis RB Jr. On the leadearbord you're top 30 America and top 300 worldwide with a 1.42.4

Congratulations for finding my throwaway fun alt account, as I said when I linked you. I have posted all the time about my antics on it. Lol
Great job.
Then, AGAIN you called me a liar also about top ten, again thanks a lot.
I never called you a liar and I’m not one.
I’m going to be honest and admit I don’t care for people who are mean.
I have no idea why these posts seem to you to be a contest between us.
I don’t.
But nice job you destroyed my credibility on alt.
Main was top ten top 100 in ENTIRE WORLD.
Yeah tcs 3 bb0.
Had top 15 top 50 NA many times too. Oh yeah I’m real dirty too.
Here’s my main before GTP corrupted me and convinced me to do alt (best thing ever). Remember first driving game modern, maybe it’s why I think independently from the legions of jaded biased gamers prejudiced to hate tcs lmao
48957D13-9919-441A-9B11-436FB65FAD62.jpeg
E4D031B1-0EDC-40BA-92BF-D706E6396688.jpeg

7D44BA00-1E8E-4A8C-9091-6BEFA54E2151.jpeg
4A7B62ED-899F-4F4A-AE03-40088E012AFD.gif

Anyways glad you are done trying to contest me. The thing is I don’t care. I’m not trying to do anything but play a game and have fun. Maybe punt some streamers on alt lol.

Edit how’s eating crow working out for you?

Last edited:
Some people are natural born drivers with better vehicle spatial awareness, and some can't drive a shopping cart. It doesn't matter if you start learning in a real car or a game like Gran Turismo...
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/gr...ned-from-real-life-racing-for-being-too-fast/
"Nissan’s GT Academy has demonstrated that, given the right amount of training, gifted gamers can make wholly capable professional racing drivers. However, the British GT Championship has dealt this year’s hopefuls a blow by banning them from competing in the series. Why? Because they’re simply too fast."

IMHO the longer you play the better you get, even if you have real off road racing experience.

Lightning is in engineering school, as I understand it. Fraga is also quite intelligent and races formula cars professionally. I’m suggesting maybe there’s knowledge you lack that could help you some, maybe not maybe you are a vehicle super genius and know everything there is to know.

Any level of formal education is meaningless as far as GT FIA races go to be honest.

There's no formula or principle you can apply that's locked behind a degree which will make you faster in GT

Last edited:
Congratulations for finding my throwaway fun alt account, as I said when I linked you. I have posted all the time about my antics on it. Lol
Great job.
I don’t.
Yeah tcs 3 bb0.
Here’s my main before GTP corrupted me and convinced me to do alt (best thing ever). Remember first driving game modern, maybe it’s why I think independently from the legions of jaded biased gamers prejudiced to hate tcs lmao
View attachment 983536 View attachment 983537
View attachment 983538 View attachment 983539

Anyways glad you are done trying to contest me. The thing is I don’t care. I’m not trying to do anything but play a game and have fun. Maybe punt some streamers on alt lol.

Dude, why do you have to be so confrontational about it? Like, eating crow? Come one man, there’s no need of that stuff. It’s 100% a fact that the fastest way to play this game is with no TCS, period, that is not up for debate.

Yes, up to a certain point, TCS is helpful for most people, losing a couple tenths to TCS kicking in, is way better than spinning out in a race. But, there comes a time when TCS becomes a hinderance, in mid corner, on exit, and even down the straight aways(it kicks in when you change gears, and you lose time). So, for anyone who still can’t make it though a whole race without spinning out, yes, TCS is the way to go for them until they reach the point when it begins to hold them back. After that, No TCS is the way to go, plain and simple, and it’s not debatable. 👍

Dude, why do you have to be so confrontational about it? Like, eating crow? Come one man, there’s no need of that stuff. It’s 100% a fact that the fastest way to play this game is with no TCS, period, that is not up for debate.

Yes, up to a certain point, TCS is helpful for most people, losing a couple tenths to TCS kicking in, is way better than spinning out in a race. But, there comes a time when TCS becomes a hinderance, in mid corner, on exit, and even down the straight aways(it kicks in when you change gears, and you lose time). So, for anyone who still can’t make it though a whole race without spinning out, yes, TCS is the way to go for them until they reach the point when it begins to hold them back. After that, No TCS is the way to go, plain and simple, and it’s not debatable. 👍

It’s the wording and way people like him post. It reminds me of all the damn times when I was b c low a getting bullied online in game, now he tries to bully me with rude underhanded posts. Like “I’m not calling you names but I’m much smarter and better at this than you”
Yes, I have trouble being confrontational online however what I post is true for me.
Over ten laps I’m faster using aids.
Sure objectively over one lap no tcs is faster for people like you and maybe over 100 laps lol.
For me though it’s not-my logic is maybe others are like me. Honestly I’m just trying to help the OP. Quite clearly the OP had more priorities than adjusting bb on a corner by corner basis. Imo.
But I was brutally attacked by rude posting and called a liar!

Anyways you’re right though. I should have just let it go.
I’ve never seen you go negative when it was undeserved in game here or in a lobby etc. you are a good man.
Maybe I shouldn’t react or post really if I can’t do the same. :)
You’re right I posted rudely.
You’ve brought a lot of good to GTS and I hold you in high respect.
I’m not gonna let some guy online call me a liar tho. Hope you can understand :).
Maybe if I can’t keep from negativity I should refrain.
I’m taking a break...

Last edited:
It’s the wording and way people like him post. It reminds me of all the damn times when I was b c low a getting bullied online in game, now he tries to bully me with rude underhanded posts. Like “I’m not calling you names but I’m much smarter and better at this than you”
Yes, I have trouble being confrontational online however what I post is true for me.
Over ten laps I’m faster using aids.
Sure objectively over one lap no tcs is faster for people like you and maybe over 100 laps lol.
For me though it’s not-my logic is maybe others are like me. Honestly I’m just trying to help the OP. Quite clearly the OP had more priorities than adjusting bb on a corner by corner basis. Imo.
But I was brutally attacked by rude posting and called a liar!

Anyways you’re right though. I should have just let it go.
I’ve never seen you go negative when it was undeserved in game here or in a lobby etc. you are a good man.
Maybe I shouldn’t react or post really if I can’t do the same. :)
You’re right I posted rudely.
You’ve brought a lot of good to GTS and I hold you in high respect.
I’m not gonna let some guy online call me a liar tho. Hope you can understand :).
Maybe if I can’t keep from negativity I should refrain.
I’m taking a break...

I apologize if my post came off as negative, that wasn’t the intent at all. All I was trying to say was there are nicer ways to get your point across at times is all. Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn’t mean they are attacking you or your ideas, we can only learn new things from new ideas that we didn’t previously know about. There more differing opinions we get the better, but we all still need to get along in doing so. So don’t ever stop posting your thoughts, or learning from other people’s thoughts. :cheers:

Last edited:
<ahem> Polite interruption coming in 3.... 2.... 1..... <ahem>

Please guys.. come on... There is some heat in this thread that really does need to dissipate before it gets deleted / locked.

I realise that there are a wide variety of opinions and ideas about my original question. This thread, and others, has helped me massively since I asked the question. I even have a "gold" time in the Lewis Hamilton challenges. This week I am 1/2 a second inside my "K" time at Interlagos!

But that is the whole point, in my humblest opinion! I was asking to prompt replies and try the suggestions and thoughts of people who are considerably quicker than me.

Its helping me as I have stated. I hope its helping others too - Thats why I am here reading this stuff. I am 100% confident that many others are here too, reading stuff, learning stuff, watching stuff.... Why??? Because we ALL of us want to be...

Getting quicker

Best regards

Ian.

<ahem> Carry on chaps. Carry on. <ahem>

it kicks in when you change gears, and you lose time

0.05 lost per shift. It doesn't sound like much but it sure adds up.

@Groundfish If you've ever watched David Perel playing GTS on youtube, you'll see he really wanted to keep using TC when he first started as he had a heavy right foot in the game, but he soon reached the point where dropping it was the only way to be more competitive. With enough practice, everyone reaches that point eventually and if you gave it a chance, you too, probably. Or you can carry on using TC and accept your capped lap time.

Quite clearly the OP had more priorities than adjusting bb on a corner by corner basis.

Quite clearly someone missed the class about weight distribution and how it can be manipulated with brake bias and by the way, is it easier for you to keep writing corner by corner instead of using the context I originally wrote it in?

To be honest, all you've proved is how little you know and how sensitive you can be when you're called out on something that in the big picture, we all know is wrong.

We'll agree to strongly disagree on this and good luck with it.

If only there was a way to settle this, like a real driving simulator where it's possible to race each other with different settings. I'm probably not the only one wondering, why are you arguing in the parking lot when you can settle it on the road?:odd::D

Great job.
I don’t.
Yeah tcs 3 bb0.
View attachment 983536 View attachment 983537
View attachment 983538 View attachment 983539

Well why did you not show your actual account then? It's just another proof that you're trying to hide something.

Anyway, I managed to find your actual account. 7th place NA and 91st place WW in the Autopolis TT above (+0.8 sec off LIGHTNING's time). I'm not gonna post it here, people can go look it up themselves if they're interested. DR & K score wise, it's not that much different than your alt either.

You're clearly a fast driver, even with TC, and you'll be even faster without it (as the top drivers prove) so I don't understand why you keep trying to justify it. If you just say "I use TC, because I can't be bothered learning to drive without it and it's more comfortable for me". Then that's fine. Everyone can have their own way of playing this game. Just don't say it's the fastest way because it clearly isn't. At least not in this game. And poor IanJB is going to be led astray because of it.

Punting streamers on alt. Says it all about your mentality really.

Don't know about crows, but I had fried quail last night and it's delicious :lol:

P.S. I'm also a man of my word, so I tried the LH challenges with TC. Tried it with TC 5, 3, 1 then OFF then OFF+BB switching. At Maggiore I'm at least 1 second slower with TC than without it. In the low speed corners it's fine, you can just shut off your brain and go ham on throttle. But in the medium-high speed corners it just makes this understeering car, even more understeery. It just negates all the traction advantage out of the slow corners. Interesting also that in the high speed uphill left-right after the banked hairpin, if you steer too much while using TC it cuts your throttle as well. So TC in this game can also act as an indicator of overturning the wheel. How convenient :lol: Obviously my driving style isn't adapted to TC, so if I practice I can probably get it closer to my non TC time, but I doubt I will end up faster.

/thread

Last edited:
Interesting also that in the high speed uphill left-right after the banked hairpin, if you steer too much while using TC it cuts your throttle as well. So TC in this game can also act as an indicator of overturning the wheel. How convenient :lol:

DING DING DING WINNER!
I’ve posted explaining that many times before. This is how I use it to improve. Understanding that is the key to using it to improve.
It’s operation is dependent on steering angle. So in order to have it on and get good laptimes you must get your car balanced in a good line rotate it mostly by the brake pedal release rate vs steering.
It sucks driving with it when you’re making mistakes because it holds you back but if you can get to where your margin of error is just barely ever so slightly too much throttle too soon on exit you get a sliver.
I’m absolutely talking 100 percent about finely modulating brake and throttle.
It’s why I say at apex steering angle is maxed then releasing after. Think of it like a clock...If you turn say 12 to 2:30 no intrusion but 12-4 tcs won’t let you.
Diff cars diff speeds have a different degree where tcs cuts in.
Learning to drive with min possible steering angle is a huge benefit less rolling resistance more speed less tire wear more speed over time big steering angle squealing and scrubbing tires is no different than hitting brakes.
Imo having it on provides constant INSTANT FEEDBACK about my inputs.
Takes time no doubt but it builds the fundamentally sound technique. Braking trailing off while turning max steering angle apex then throttle add and release steering. Tcs provides constant feedback every turn about your driving. I love it.
Anyways that’s my reasoning behind it
and why I believe using it has benefited me and caused my improvement.
That’s all I’ve really ever said.
Understand it, use it to improve.

.S. I'm also a man of my word, so I tried the LH challenges with TC. Tried it with TC 5, 3, 1 then OFF then OFF+BB switching. At Maggiore I'm at least 1 second slower with TC than without it. In the low speed corners it's fine, you can just shut off your brain and go ham on throttle. But in the medium-high speed corners it just makes this understeering car, even more understeery. It

As above what I’m dealing with is opposite to just planting your foot to floor hard and fast.
Also driving line driving line driving line.
On my LH laps driving line is on and I’m darn near tracing it.
High speed esses are where TCS really forces you to minimize your inputs to avoid being slowed. Nice thing is in race if you do have to swerve the power cut shifts weight forward to allow you to turn.
High speed esses are hard to do well with tcs, but can be done fast. The initial turn in has to be just right and you gotta steer very little but very smooth, it’s hard. Felt impossible to me.
Doable though with some practice and good line.
A great combo to try the benefit of line on is n100 porsche speedster brands Indy sh tire.
It shows how the line itself with the undulations can stabilize the car and keep it nicely loaded and stable.
Anyways these are some points that have helped me go much much faster.
I seem to be still improving too, by using the tcs. By its FEEDBACK of slowing me down teaching me where I punch it too soon or where I stood the car on it’s nose too long coming in instead of releasing brake faster so front tires could donate more to turning.
I find as I improve all these little bits change things a little, causing other changes as well. It’s a very dynamic thing these great modern sim games.

Cheers to all looking to improve

Last edited:
n, if you steer too much while using TC it cuts your throttle as well. So TC in this game can also act as an indicator of overturning the wheel. How convenient :lol:

This is worth quoting twice.
Less steering angle, more throttle earlier more time on full throttle
Brake less carry more speed.
So to me hearing that from you, is :::thread over:::
At least one person understood what I’m explaining is my technique to improve.
I may one day forgoe all tcs, but I doubt it.
I like where I’m at. Im not taking advantage of the game engine too much at all. Using this technique it’s easy to switch to ACC or DR2. Interestingly in DR2. I run no aids at all none haha.
ACC I’m default whatever.
Like I said I went head to head no tcs vs tcs3 on a good combo in a car im good with Interlagos gr3 vette.
Best lap within .05 of each other. Best ten in a row average was no tcs but not by much not enough imo to switch.
Not if there’s tire wear. Not with traffic. Not with contact.

Edit also some irl vehicles VSC and TCS look at steering input via position sensor so maybe it’s not something to laugh about this steering angle cutting throttle bit.

Last edited:
Back