Getting quicker....

• Thread starter Ian JB
  • 137 comments
I think the best way to get back on the track is to learn how to counter steer whatever sent you off the track. It's not really addressed in GT Sport with the exception of the drift section.

And if you are off get up in second gear and gently give throttle, just enough to roll back on the tarmac. Then carefully increase speed in second so you avoid wheel spin. If it's free behind you make a few extra braking moves to clean your tires and be careful in the next few corners because dirty tires equals poor grip.

And if you are off get up in second gear and gently give throttle, just enough to roll back on the tarmac. Then carefully increase speed in second so you avoid wheel spin. If it's free behind you make a few extra braking moves to clean your tires and be careful in the next few corners because dirty tires equals poor grip.

See what I mean?

This is exactly what this thread is all about, for me at least! I tried this earlier as being off track has been a source of monumental proportions. Now I know how to get back on track quicker!

Just need to stay on track more so I don't need this tip. :-)

Thank you RacingGrandpa!

Regards.

Ian.

See what I mean?

This is exactly what this thread is all about, for me at least! I tried this earlier as being off track has been a source of monumental proportions. Now I know how to get back on track quicker!

Just need to stay on track more so I don't need this tip. :-)

Thank you RacingGrandpa!

Regards.

Ian.
You can also turn on TCS when you are off, it prevents wheel spin

This is going to sound dumb to many of you, but what would be neat is a video for newbs on how to get quicker is to learn the most efficient way to get back on the track once you are off. A second or half second gained off track is just as important as second or half second gained on track. Some examples on brake/steering inputs (or lack of) when in sand, some examples of throttle control when nosed into a rail, 90 degrees to the track. Also, some tips on how best to control the car in grass to avoid spin outs and basically hold a line and make your way back on the track. As we all know there is a ton of slippage in grass, and common sense says really, really easy on the throttle, but lots of time there is nothing easy enough.... you just sit and spin, and spin... I am just assuming that while the best drivers are not off track much, they are also the most efficient at (1) preventing a complete spin out, and (2) assessing the situation and using the optimum inputs to get back on course, and (3) staying on the track in spots where less experienced drivers would go off. I have been in several spots where I could have gone from 16th (after a bad wreck) and made up 2, 3 or 4 spots if I had been better at getting back on the track. I thing this is relevant to "getting faster"

I think you should be analyzing why you keep going off the track in the first place and try to avoid it. Even if that means driving a bit slower at first. If you go off the track then chances are you've already lost the race anyway, no matter how quickly you get back on track.

It has now been officially one year since I ventured into the online racing side of GT Sport. After a few 6th place finishes last week at both Monza and Fuji (yes, I am still looking for that elusive Top 5 finish at Fuji that I have unable to achieve in 23 races so far there :)), my DR reached 17,000 for the first time last week, and my slow but steady progress continues:

DR chart Feb 2021.png

I am particularly proud of my flatline SR record over the year (if this were my heartbeat graph I would be dead, haha!):

SR chart Feb 2021.png

While I am probably TOO safe and cautious (and maybe why I rarely win), this is how I enjoy playing the game and you can still make progress and have some success this way. I don't know if I'll ever make it to DR A, but I'm still having a blast in DR B so far 👍.

Here are a few things that worked for me along this journey in case it helps any other new folks trying to work their way up the DR ranks. Also note that I primarily run FIA races and Daily C races as I prefer the longer races with pit stops:

DR D - Don't go off track - Simply staying on the track and avoiding other cars can be enough to get decent enough finishes to move up to DR C. This is easier said than done at first, but I think it is more important that being fast. Just like in golf where one really bad hole can ruin your entire round, one spin off track can ruin the 9 decent laps you just finished before that.

DR C - Consistent lap times are more important than trying to find that best lap time. Now that you know how stay on the track, get in a groove where you are running every lap the same. Even if it's a little slower than what you can get when really push it, this allows you to start focusing on racing other cars rather than just the track.

DR B - Brake under control, Be on the gas early. DR B is really tough early on. At this point, everyone kind of knows what they are doing and you will be matched up with good drivers every race. Learning the classic "slow in, fast out" really improved my lap times and helped me stay in DR B. Once I stopped stressing over getting to the precisely perfect braking point, and rather concentrated on being under control so that I can hit the gas early coming out of the turn, I became smoother, faster, and better able to deal with other cars in and around the corners.

I still don't know how to trail brake, and someday I imagine I'll start using manual transmission, so there is still plenty of room for more improvement. We like to bust on 2020 as a terrible year (and it certainly was in many ways), but if not for being forced to work from home a year ago and to find an outlet to do something new and fun from home, I may never have immersed myself into GT Sport this way, and I am very happy that I did :cheers:.

@rhcpeppers Congrats and a well written post!

It’s be fun sharing the track with you when we’re lucky enough to get matched.

You’ll get to A, it just comes with time, or farming a combo you’re really good at. :lol:

It has now been officially one year since I ventured into the online racing side of GT Sport. After a few 6th place finishes last week at both Monza and Fuji (yes, I am still looking for that elusive Top 5 finish at Fuji that I have unable to achieve in 23 races so far there :)), my DR reached 17,000 for the first time last week, and my slow but steady progress continues:

View attachment 993783

I am particularly proud of my flatline SR record over the year (if this were my heartbeat graph I would be dead, haha!):

View attachment 993784
Very well written. 👍

I was surprised to see how similar your chart is to mine at the start. We must have taken similar approaches. I'm usually jealous of all the charts that shoot straight up. Nice to know I'm not alone. :D

DR D - Don't go off track - Simply staying on the track and avoiding other cars can be enough to get decent enough finishes to move up to DR C. This is easier said than done at first, but I think it is more important that being fast. Just like in golf where one really bad hole can ruin your entire round, one spin off track can ruin the 9 decent laps you just finished before that.

DR C - Consistent lap times are more important than trying to find that best lap time. Now that you know how stay on the track, get in a groove where you are running every lap the same. Even if it's a little slower than what you can get when really push it, this allows you to start focusing on racing other cars rather than just the track.

DR B - Brake under control, Be on the gas early. DR B is really tough early on. At this point, everyone kind of knows what they are doing and you will be matched up with good drivers every race. Learning the classic "slow in, fast out" really improved my lap times and helped me stay in DR B. Once I stopped stressing over getting to the precisely perfect braking point, and rather concentrated on being under control so that I can hit the gas early coming out of the turn, I became smoother, faster, and better able to deal with other cars in and around the corners.

I still don't know how to trail brake, and someday I imagine I'll start using manual transmission, so there is still plenty of room for more improvement. We like to bust on 2020 as a terrible year (and it certainly was in many ways), but if not for being forced to work from home a year ago and to find an outlet to do something new and fun from home, I may never have immersed myself into GT Sport this way, and I am very happy that I did :cheers:.

This is a very good summary. IMO, I think everyone should be able to get to DR B if they applied basic driving principles, even if they start from zero in this game.

Getting to DR A is basically just polishing the same skills that gets you to DR B. Might take years if you don't have the natural talent and feel. I myself have been playing racing games for 20+ years and I'm just cresting 50k DR. Also don't forget racecraft, but this comes with experience more than anything.

DR A+, you need to have that little bit extra in my opinion. I got into A+ a few times but a few races later I usually drop back to A. If you aren't an alien it's difficult to maintain. I wouldn't stress too much, it's just a number after all. Enjoy the journey not the destination.

As for trail braking, imagine your wheel and pedal are connected with a rubber band of certain length.
- If you brake 100%, the wheel have to be straight
- If you brake 50%, the wheel can turn 45 degree
- If you're off brake, the wheel can turn 90 degree
- When you start feeding throttle 50%, the wheel has to come back to 45 degree
- When you're on 100% throttle, the wheel has to be straight

It's basically just the result of tracing the friction circle and being on the limit of your tyre's grip at all times. Nothing more to it! The best drivers just do this that little bit better everywhere, but it all adds up.
friction-circle-rev.jpg

Last edited:
Hello folks...

friction-circle-rev.jpg

That! Is simply brilliant!!!

Now all I need is a formula for applying it.. Wait.. Ohh. OK. I think its called muscle memory? Practice? Concentration and application?

Brilliant posts in this thread recently. Thank you all.

My "K" score has jumped up yet again. I am enjoying GTS more and more and more. Thank you once more to all who have contributed. Its all so helpful to me.

Regards.

Ian.

I would like to throw this out there for thought . . . I have been playing with cockpit view lately and have noticed a slight improvement in lap times because I am driving a better race line (and not over driving the cars). What is the groups thoughts on this?

Side note: I feel like I have lost some situational awareness of cars alongside so I am sure in races my SR might be effected although I am not sure how much yet because I have not tried cockpit view in any races online.

I'm likely not as fast as you but I love to use cockpit view in qualifying. At least when I am first getting used to a car. For exactly the reason you stated; I don't overdrive the car when using cockpit.

Once I am comfortable with the car, I switch to bumper cam. It's what I'm used to and I like to see the little up and down delta arrows in qualifying.

I also have my wheel set up real close to a 55" TV, much like @Groundfish but unfortunately, my TV stand is too low so I can't see the centre of the bottom fifth of the screen so I can't see the radar in bumper cam. Lucky for me they have that screen going dark around the edges to help with spatial awareness. I wonder if cockpit view could benefit from that same effect.

I'm likely not as fast as you but I love to use cockpit view in qualifying. At least when I am first getting used to a car. For exactly the reason you stated; I don't overdrive the car when using cockpit.

Once I am comfortable with the car, I switch to bumper cam. It's what I'm used to and I like to see the little up and down delta arrows in qualifying.

I also have my wheel set up real close to a 55" TV, much like @Groundfish but unfortunately, my TV stand is too low so I can't see the centre of the bottom fifth of the screen so I can't see the radar in bumper cam. Lucky for me they have that screen going dark around the edges to help with spatial awareness. I wonder if cockpit view could benefit from that same effect.

"I'm likely not as fast as you" - not likely - while others race against 15-19 other racers during a race, I am sooo fast that my competition are snails . . . and usually they are the large super slow variety but I don't care because this simracing is fun for me.

I started in bumper cam and have transitioned around to using the roof cam (now I can see the front corners but lost my rear view mirror) and cockpit cam. Cockpit cam has taught me how to use the radar better and got me looking back more which I take as another good learning experience for this game.

You are the first racer to ever mention those delta arrows - I love them too and use them all the time (even more than sector display).

Right now I am living in Spain and living room space is at a luxury so a full fledged rig is not possible. I have my butt on the couch using a DS4 with the TV about 5 feet away. Not the ideal setup but it works for now.

Have fun and hopefully I will see you out on the track. Enjoy your racing!

It's what I'm used to and I like to see the little up and down delta arrows in qualifying.
I've been playing GT for a long time and only noticed those delta arrows last year! Very useful.
Hello folks...

friction-circle-rev.jpg

That! Is simply brilliant!!!

Now all I need is a formula for applying it.. Wait.. Ohh. OK. I think its called muscle memory? Practice? Concentration and application?

Brilliant posts in this thread recently. Thank you all.

My "K" score has jumped up yet again. I am enjoying GTS more and more and more. Thank you once more to all who have contributed. Its all so helpful to me.

Regards.

Ian.
I just gave my wife a tip on tire squeal in an apex and adjusting your steering slightly until the squeal goes away... Now she's speed racer.

Hi Ian, this video has help me a lot about learning trail breaking, and has help me big time to get quicker.

Hi Ford!

Very very useful. My left foot / trail braking is coming on nicely now. Its starting to feel natural and I don't think about it.
My "optimal" times are sooooo frustrating though. My biggest problem is "chaining" up a hot lap. For example, at Dragon Trail this week, I am only a couple of thou' away from a 1:31:xx lap. My "Optimal" is a 1:31:33 - 7/10th's under my actual best time.

More practice is required but once again.... I am getting quicker!!! :-)

Best regards.

Ian.

Back