Ghost Tuning Garage

• Thread starter GhostZ
  • 50 comments
I didn't feel like you were rude so don't worry :P

It's a tuning forum. I'd understand if it said "GT5 Grip Tuning Forum" but it's a general Tuning Forum area where normal people usually go to find tunes for specific cars/situations.

Personally, I'd check the Tuning Forum first because...Tuning Forum? Not trying to sound like a douche or anything but If I..needed a tune...i'd check...The Tuning Forum! 💡 :lol:

The process of sharing the knowledge, I feel, is being diluted (unless you really mean for the sharing of knowledge to be rolled up :lol: ) as people here, and other places, decide "oh this is better suited here because it's specific even though it's a "tuning" garage and would kind of make more sense to put said "tuning" garage in the "Tuning Forum". At least that's how I feel about it.

Take it to PMs, UrieHusky has apologized for going too far off topic, I don't need you to do the same but I would appreciate it if you didn't clutter this thread.. If you are really so concerned, or need to further express your opinion, make a separate thread about "where do drift tuning garages go" and discuss it there. Just don't do it here, this is for people who want to know about my garage, my tuning, and my drift tunes themselves.

I really, really like this idea GhostZ. It's unique and some-what genius. I am relatively new to drifting, however I can hold my own, I may just send you in an application.

Good luck with the garage!
~ Nissans <3 Haha

For those that want to know...

I will still be making hybrids as part of the tunes. What you get caught doing with the cars I tune is your pejorative. I have kept quiet about it, but I was one of the first to experiment with hybrids offline, only a few days after the game was decrypted. I do not use a tool or ever gave, created, or received a hybrid car on this account, and I have never used them in any official race, online or off, on any account.

So trust me when I say that I know what I am doing. I will have a new alternate account for tunes set up shortly though, to create them on. Given how well I understand the game, and the current situation, I see no reason to stop creating and using realistic hybrids in drift rooms as we have so far.

Last edited:
(Forgive the double post, but its been a bit and I have something to update the thread with)

A Small Mid-Week update.

datsun_510_rotary=001.jpg

I plan to release my "Example Car", a Nissan Bluebird (Datsun 510). All-Nissan Drift and Track car. What is special about this car is the potential to push it near its limits of grip easily, and the ease at which it can go beyond and return to them.

This car will receive the full treatment, Mathematically-Tuned suspension and Drivetrain, optimized for maximum performance. The engine featured is a naturally-aspirated SR20DE.

If you would like to test this car, I will be accepting friend requests (TheFairladyGhost) from now until the weekend when it is placed on share. Make sure you mention wanting to test the car.

The second update is that, if there is sufficient interest, I will be offering Engine Swap service. This is not a "at request" engine swap, but after lots of research, I have a group of engines that all have great stats for drifting and/or track engines.

It is one thing to be able to swap a motor. It is an entirely different thing for a motor to be selected, modified, tuned, and prepared for drifting.

I will be offering them as a COMPLETE package, not as an untuned swap or basic engine work, and each is unique to this garage. If you just want the base engine, there are plenty of people who can do that for you instead.

The four aspects of the engines that I select for, in order of priority are:

1. Torque Curve - A predictable, even torque curve is absolutely necessary for a good drift engine. Released engines will list the RPMs where 70% of the torque is available on demand.
2. Aspiration - N/A or SC if possible, avoiding turbo lag, or utilizing multi-staged turbos with less lag when necessary. Particularly unique is swapping a stock Twin Turbo engine for a tuned N/A engine for better response, at the same or similar power.
3. Peak Power RPM - Using optimal powerbands for each car and driver's needs
4. Size and Weight - Realistic measures of the engine so the swap is proper for the car.

Here is a list of engines I may offer, if enough interest is shown.

Street/Track:
HP: Engine, Aspiration
300-400: SR20DE, N/A
450-550: RB26DER, Supercharged
450-550: VK45DE, Naturally Aspirated
500-600: SR20DETT, Twin Turbo
600-700: VQ37VHRR, Supercharged, High Rev

Classic:
250-350: S20, Naturally Aspirated, High Rev
250-350: L28E, Naturally Aspirated
350-450: L28ET, Single Turbo
500-600: L28ETT, Twin Turbo
300-400: RB25DE, Naturally Aspirated

Competition Only:
700-1000: VK45DER, Supercharged
900-1100: VR38DETT, Twin Turbo, High Rev

Let me know if these engines might interest you, and I will start offering engine tune packages alongside full tunes. Otherwise, they will just be options or suggestions for fully tuned cars. This is also a great opportunity for drifters who do not have a full tune or do not wish to use one to obtain sponsorship from this garage, by using one of the engine tunes.

Last edited:
It's here.

The first test car, which will be available for the next two days (or longer, upon request) is currently on share on my account. Those who wish to test it out should add me as a friend on PSN (TheFairladyGhost) and mention the vehicle.

This car is not a competition car, but a design study. It is a tuning experiment to show how a car with extremely little potential can be improved vastly with what this tuning garage has to offer.

Specs:

olk3.jpg

1969 Nissan Bluebird 1600 / Datsun 510 4 Door
Nissan SR20DE Naturally Aspirated I4
322 HP @: 7000 RPM
255 Ft/lbs @: 5400 RPM
70% of torque @: 4500-7000 RPM
50% of torque @: 2000-7300 RPM
Weight: 963KG
Power to Weight Ratio: 2.93kg/HP

Front Suspension: MacPherson Strut
Rear Suspension: Semi-Trailing Arms
Transmission: 5 Speed Custom Racing Box
Differential: Nissan R200 LSD, Modified

If you particularly like this motor, I will offer it as a naturally aspirated engine swap for 250-350 HP applications. The torque curve is exceptional.

This is a tight, stable, controlled little car that is built to take abuse. The tune, like all of my tunes, is designed for maximum relative grip during ideal drifting angles. It can be thrown into a corner and can easily increase the angle, decrease the angle, increase the speed, decrease the speed, or any combination thereof, at will. This demonstrates how the character of even an underpowered, underperforming sedan can be drastically changed with the proper tuning.

I do have to repeat again, this is not a competition car, and it is not a car to just get in an drift. This is a car that is designed to clear corners efficiently and to the best capability of the chassis it is limited by.

I would also encourage anyone interested in this tuning shop, who want to test the car, or those with questions post in this thread to keep it lively.

Last edited:
So the day this thread came out I asked Ghost here to make me a drift car that I could use to compete with and drift on a daily basis. I choose the Z33 and I explained to him what it was I was looking for and he talked with me for a bit. I basically told him go nuts and use his imagination. Few days later I get my car and I LOVE it. It is up to Ghost if he shares the tune with others. I personally enjoy learning a new style. I feel it will help me greatly improve. Thank you, Ghost.

Mazda RX-7 FC - Ghost tune.

Factually - this car was great, the suspension didn't feel limiting and allowed for a great deal of angle while leaving it down to my ability as a driver to control it, unlike a lot of tunes I have used which felt more limiting.

However, the tuning process really showed with this car.. it lacked feel.
Now when I say this, I don't mean handling as such. The body weight transfers smoothly and it communes its self extremely well; at least on the wheel.
On a more emotional level though, the car felt sterile.. tuned to the numbers (Which would make sense, since that's exactly how it was tuned)

To drive these cars, that's the first thing you'll need to adjust to.

Once I adjusted to that feeling and started to connect with the car after a couple of laps, I was falling for its charm. It can hold its water no matter how hard you throw it around a corner.

However, this brings up another problem.
This car had a very strong feeling of "Go big or go home", if you want to tandem drift this car you need to be drifting with other drivers at or above your skill level or it's just not going to work. Any time I adjusted mid corner to account for my partner it seemed to immediately begin under steering..

So, a mixed bag all around. While the car is fantastic at what it does, it only felt fantastic at the edge. Be prepared to give this car your all.

In summary - the tuning process holds up in practice, give it a shot.

I just drifted the 510 and although some things I did like, the overall car could've felt better.

The car had big understeer issues probably due to the 60-40 Weight distribution. In my attempt to fix it I raised the front end and changed the balance a bit. Worked better but the Roll bars and dampers needs to be adjusted to get more angle.

The rear end was stable until the top of 4th gear. The slow Accel on the LSD made it and issue when the torque got to high. Lower rear toe could help as well as a quicker acceleration.

The car isn't suited for more aggressive initiations. 80-90degree entries were difficult and I constantly stalled out because the car slows too much while it's sideways. The car seems to be more suited for a DS3 drifter. The -15 -15 ride height made it sort of obvious. Wheel drifters know that higher front end as well as more rear end weight keeps a more controlled drift.

I did however like the gearing. It was easy to get power from the gear.

In conclusion the tune is good for a DS3 based drifter but wheel users who use different styles might find some difficulty getting the car to behave like a regular drifter. The car felt stock.

I just drifted the 510 and although some things I did like, the overall car could've felt better.

The car had big understeer issues probably due to the 60-40 Weight distribution. In my attempt to fix it I raised the front end and changed the balance a bit. Worked better but the Roll bars and dampers needs to be adjusted to get more angle.

The rear end was stable until the top of 4th gear. The slow Accel on the LSD made it and issue when the torque got to high. Lower rear toe could help as well as a quicker acceleration.

The car isn't suited for more aggressive initiations. 80-90degree entries were difficult and I constantly stalled out because the car slows too much while it's sideways. The car seems to be more suited for a DS3 drifter. The -15 -15 ride height made it sort of obvious. Wheel drifters know that higher front end as well as more rear end weight keeps a more controlled drift.

I did however like the gearing. It was easy to get power from the gear.

In conclusion the tune is good for a DS3 based drifter but wheel users who use different styles might find some difficulty getting the car to behave like a regular drifter. The car felt stock.

I appreciate the feedback, but I'd like to parse out what of your criticism is due to personal preference and what is down to performance deficit. As it's been said a few times in this thread, individual tunes are given comparative tuning, so 'feel' of the car is transferred from another car that the driver is familiar with. Basically, things that would change if this car was tailored for your driving style I'll mention. Other concerns are legitimate.

Things that would be changed if this was tuned for you:

1. Ride height ratio (more on that later)
2. LSD Settings
3. Roll Bar F/R Ratio
4. All dampener relative vales (to instantaneous wheel weight)

In other words, seeing as this was a general test car I didn't do any of the comparative tuning (I believe I stated that in the original post) that would address nearly all of the issues you expressed. I'd welcome you to put a full tune application in for a car and see how comparative tuning fixes your complaints.

However, on the note of ride height, I want to express that the slight gain in rear traction during forward movement out of a turn (which is caused by raising the rear, like you said, it means that when the car starts to face more forward G forces and not sideways ones, the CoM is a little closer to the rear, and I really mean a LITTLE closer) actually causes a loss of optimal cornering since it forces the front and rear to roll at different rates to reach the same level roll. Basically, it is not a rule that all drifters follow, and while raising the front can 'fix' some problems, it isn't always a universal rule.

But your response is good, since it points out exactly what I needed to know (and why I chose the 510, a very very poor drift car, over, say, a Z33). The 510 is going to perform, even at its peak, below normal drift car standards. So that means it is easily manageable for most drifters. As a test car, that tells me that if I tune it for the maximum possible performance out of the platform, if the critiques that come back are 'feel' based, then I have done the right job. If the critiques are based on universal improvements, then I did something wrong. I believe both Uriehusky and you confirmed this.

Though I think you should try drifting the car with its stock 90 HP. It actually has a track around 50 inches. By comparison a 2009 Miata has a track of 59 inches, and the C6 Corvette Z06 has 63 inches. So I hope you weren't expecting race-car performance, but you did get me the results I needed. Thank you.

justin_fox_GTR_badge_photo_by_mark_pakula.jpg

Next Week's Test Car: "Black Dog"

The next Test Car will arrive next week, and will be a demonstration of a high-performance tune. You will be treated to a Skyline GT-R, with a drastically reduced weight and FR conversion. This, like the previous test car, will be all-Nissan. But what will surprise you is not the chassis, but the monster of an engine it will pack.

In addition, the Naturally Aspirated SR20DE has been made available as a crate motor from Ghost Tuning, upon request. More detail on the OP.

What's good Ghost? Followed the trail from a comp thread referring to kiyo's Z33. Quite intriguing, I must say. I'm interested in aquiring some insight regarding an IS F...

I'm not looking to hybrid, I feel the car has enough to offer fully built (non-RM), unless you feel otherwise. I started with adjustments of my own, used what little [useless] info I could find to no avail. Currently, I've worked out something "bearable", although I still have issues eliminating excessive lateral roll during accel, and proper, linear distribution of the powerband thoughout.

As to my style, I prefer fast and sideways. My go-to car is a bit untraditional, an Amuse S2000 GT1, which I can keep smoking through full laps of Suzuka East (for/rev incl. straight) and Tsukuba. My main use for a Ghost Tune IS F would be ridiculous smoke and angle, and high speed entries which this car is more than capable of. Im looking to push the edge, but I want that certainy of not over-rotating if the entry is just a bit slow and nailing the throttle to adjust and get back on line forces oversteer.

I appreciate your time and interest of this and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

What's good Ghost? Followed the trail from a comp thread referring to kiyo's Z33. Quite intriguing, I must say. I'm interested in aquiring some insight regarding an IS F...

I'm not looking to hybrid, I feel the car has enough to offer fully built (non-RM), unless you feel otherwise. I started with adjustments of my own, used what little [useless] info I could find to no avail. Currently, I've worked out something "bearable", although I still have issues eliminating excessive lateral roll during accel, and proper, linear distribution of the powerband thoughout.

As to my style, I prefer fast and sideways. My go-to car is a bit untraditional, an Amuse S2000 GT1, which I can keep smoking through full laps of Suzuka East (for/rev incl. straight) and Tsukuba. My main use for a Ghost Tune IS F would be ridiculous smoke and angle, and high speed entries which this car is more than capable of. Im looking to push the edge, but I want that certainy of not over-rotating if the entry is just a bit slow and nailing the throttle to adjust and get back on line forces oversteer.

I appreciate your time and interest of this and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

For the IS-F, I suggest increasing rear damper compression and front extension, reducing the turbo and power, and increasing the gear ratios. God knows you have enough gears in that car to stay in the powerband.

A lot of what you're talking about in entry comes down to reaction speed. I (personally) am blessed with great reaction time, and I've found that when I run into problems on entry speeds and angles, I can rectify them with the ebrake, slight adjustments of countersteer, or throttle application very quickly. That is one thing you can work on. I would suggest a slight amount more toe-out on the front if you have it, and a more aggressive countersteer.

If you want a tune, I'd have more questions and you'd have to send a formal application (from the front page) and PM it to me so I have it to reference. I do not think I will be able to give a tune until late this weekend (I have other tunes already in the works for a few other people) and to prevent overloading myself, if I decide to tune the IS-F, you'll have to wait until I'm ready.

Last edited:
Rightfully so. I can respect your decisions. I will PM full app shortly. I take no offense as to reaction timing, although I wish not to infer my level of skill on one aspect, or one vehicle, per se. Im entering corners quite well, my current issue is upon exiting a corner where, as modulating the throttle, holding a steady line thru entry and apex, the vehicle begins to follow its inertial momentum to the outside, or simply, wanting to go straight as throttle is applied, in any amount. My reference to the too fast/too slow entry was to see if you had an opinion towards an all-around tune that allows for the car to be handled hard and yet is still forgiving enough.

I will apply your suggestion and include my findings in the application. Thanks.

I've begun a waiting list now.

I can start working on a new tune (after my current ones) next week after Tuesday. I'll update with more details later, but so far I have 1 tune, 1 test car, and 2 filled spots.

BUT IF YOU ARE USING A TUNE FOR A COMPETITION, SUCH AS FORMULA D OR THE SIDEWAYS ALL DAY COMP, PLEASE INFORM ME Special priority will be given so you can get your tune in time.

Current tunes are being put on hold for the time being until I can deal with the update. I have multiple saves and comparisons, several accounts, and other infrastructure I set up ahead of time expecting this. If PD did what I think they did with the new update (have yet to look at it in detail) I may be able to continue providing unique vehicle tunes for now, but I do not want to get too involved until the second round of maintenance is over later this week.

Lesson to all of you wanna-be Neos out there... it pays to understand things at their core, not to just hop on a bandwagon or use a tool someone created for you. I'll update later when I have more info.

Hey Ghost, I'm really wanting to try out your SR20 Datsun. I find your theories of drifting quite Surreal. Surreal to a point where it is perfect. I'm one for tuning, on feel, but this sounds perfect.

Back