Ghost Tuning Garage

• Thread starter GhostZ
  • 50 comments
United States
United States
The__Ghost__Z
"An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself."

- Charles Dickens

GHOST TUNING

Nissan_Fairlady_240ZG_cutaway_by_Shin_Yoshikawa.12692602.jpg

I am opening this tuning Garage with the intention of sharing some of my discoveries and successes with GT5 with the community. This is an exclusive tuning garage, tunes will be distributed by application only. This is to ensure the quality and capability of those who use my tunes. For these tunes I will be using two basic approaches: 1, I will use statistics gathered from a previous drift car that the client has used, and make their new car reflect those handling characteristics, and 2, I will use their maximum capability for driving at the limit to make a tune that always rises above the limits of their previous car/tune.

This garage is founded on 3 of my drifting philosophies:

Philosophy #1: Law of Models
"Gran Turismo is a model of physics in the real life, so real life mathematics can be used to calculate Gran Turismo performance, in the same representation."

Philosophy #2: Law of Limit Tuning
"A Drift car should be tuned to its absolute limits for the drivers goals. No car should be given a conservative tune, and if a driver has difficulty achieving those limits, it is the driver's responsibility to learn how to achieve their goals. The tune only exists to make them possible."

Philosophy #3: Law of Comparative Tuning
"Because all physics in the game is based off of mathematical principles, all adjustable statistics in the game from one car can be applied to another car, to give a similar experience in both vehicles, even if they are wildly different in year, price, or configuration."

THE PROCESS

This is how you go about getting a tune from this garage.

Step 1: Fill out the application at the bottom of this post.

Step 2: PM the application to me.

Step 3: If I accept the job, you will be entered in the queue (although not always last, if I particularly like the job) and when it arrives to you, I will inform you.

Step 4: Give me a friend request, and gift me the car you wish for me to tune. It can be stock, or it can be modified, but I prefer to work with completely stock vehicles, and build them from the ground-up.

Step 5: After finishing the tune, I will send it back to you. You have a 1 week trial period to voice any complaints, suggestions, or modifications. We will either use the Playstation Network or PMs here. During that week, any requested modifications will be done. After one week, there will be no more tuning from me.

Tunes are entirely confidential, and restricted to each client. The details of a car will never be revealed publicly here, and it is the client's property to do with what they wish, once I have finished tuning. I may ask to feature a particularly good tune, but will not put any numbers or stats for public viewing. In exchange for this confidentiality and trust, I only ask that credit is given to me for the tune if asked.

As of right now this is a very nissan-oriented drift garage. I will give priority to Nissan cars and Nissan-related projects. Ford and Mazda comes second, Honda has third priority, and all other brands get fourth priority. However, an extremely unique concept or set of goals is more likely to get accepted and bumped up the list no matter what the make.

Intent is the final point. I am very concerned with what these cars, once tuned, will do. I also ask that if questioned, you give credit to me as the tuner/builder, even if you do modify the car slightly afterwards. I take great pride in my work, and clients who use my cars often, in competition or in drift rooms, and to great success, will be given preference.

30jqt7r.png

THE METHOD

My current tuning method uses a series of calculations and mathematical principles to calculate body roll, roll rates, RWTQ, grip coefficients, weight distributions at various points within a turn, braking lift forces, individual wheel weights during a drift, and wheel direction vectors relative to the corner. There are over 200 points of data that this sheet provides, and it is based entirely on real physics equations.

In addition to tuning a cars stock and in-game available characteristics, I can do the following:

1. Change tire position
2. Swap Engines
3. Change Drivetrain
4. Remove/Add spoilers or downforce
5. Stiffen the Chassis
6. Apply a WIDE VARIETY of Turbochargers and Superchargers to various engines, whether they came with them or not.
7. Adjust where the torque curve's peak position is, and how the Dyno Graph looks in the end.

On request, I will study other forms of alteration, but for now I know everything that I feel I need to. Adjustments in the look of the car, provided that it does not detriment handling, will be considered if proposed.

However, what really sets my tuning method away from others is that I do not focus on style. I build a car to get maximum grip during the drifting process, and to act predictably and precisely in cornering. I build cars that can be taken to any angle's maximum speed. I use every possible weapon I have to achieve this goal, and I am confident, in opening this garage, I can build some of the most intimidating, and extreme machines out there.

QnA:

"Why do you want lap times? Drifting isn't about speed!"

While I recognize the drifting for solely speed is not necessarily an indication of success in competition or of driver control, it is an indication of the tire's potential and grip levels during the drift. I ask for lap times so I have a base of comparison. I can drift any car consistent enough in my tuning to be sure that my mathematics do indeed improve the speed of the car at any angle. Lap times also tell me of a driver's ability to find these limits. There is little point in a more potent tune if the driver cannot utilize it.

"Can I see your 'mathematical' tuning documents?"

The reason I keep these things private is so that I can further refine them (though I have found little improvement on their results in the last six months or so) and so that I can utilize them effectively. I will answer any questions about physics, GT5, or drifting technique, but I will not hand over equations that anyone can discover for themselves with a little research.

"Can you do XX engine in XX car for me? Thanks."

No. This is not a hack shop, engine swaps will only occur if the stock engine is insufficient for the desired purpose.

"Will you sponsor me for XX event?"

I do not give out sponsorships currently, and if I do, it will not be to a drifter who is not using a car I have tuned. If I have tuned a car for you, and you plan to use it in a competition, I may decide to sponsor you. This will also involve arranging a time to observe, (or watching a replay data file) of your drifting to evaluate your skill.

"Why do you need the tune for another drift car I have?"

Depending on driver skill, it is necessary for me to know your current car's statistics so that I can comparatively tune the new car, even if it has vastly improved performance, to emulate the style of the previous car. This should allow you to both improve your angles, speed, grip, and overall performance, while also not making the car prohibitively difficult to drive. If your car is tuned to the near limits of what is possible in that car, then the tune I give to you will also be at the near limits of what is possible in the new car.

Application for Tunes

Code:
[b]Make:[/b]
[b]Model:[/b]
[b]Year/Year Range:[/b]
[b]Premium or Standard?:[/b]
[b]Drivetrain (stock):[/b]

[b]Describe how you imagine this car will look, drift, and perform when the tune is finished.[/b]

[b]What are you goals with this car? What will you use it for?[/b]

[b]Are you loyal to a particular brand of vehicle?[/b]

[b]Describe your drifting 'style', and explain your weaknesses and strengths as a drifter.[/b]

[b]Please give me the tune of a drift car that you use currently, or one that you have had the most success with.[/b]

Current Test Car:

[Available as an online car with share. Send Friend Requests to TheFairladyGhost]

olk3.jpg

1969 Nissan Bluebird 1600 / Datsun 510 4 Door
Nissan SR20DE Naturally Aspirated I4
322 HP @: 7000 RPM
255 Ft/lbs @: 5400 RPM
70% of torque @: 4500-7000 RPM
50% of torque @: 2000-7300 RPM
Weight: 963KG
Power to Weight Ratio: 2.93kg/HP

Application: Street, Classic, Resto-Mod

Front Suspension: MacPherson Strut
Rear Suspension: Semi-Trailing Arms
Transmission: 5 Speed Custom Racing Box
Differential: Nissan R200 LSD, Modified

Rocky-Auto-RB30-S30Z-13.jpg

Crate Motors Available:

As the Garage progresses, particularly unique or good motors will become available for swaps. This is by request and requires no application, but no tuning is done to the engine. The engines are pre-built and ready to run after installation, though some allow upgrades after installation. If a full tune is given, a crate motor is provided if the stock engine is undesirable.

GTS Series: This is a series of small-displacement inline engines (< 3.0L) for lightweight use.

GTS-20DE4-NA
Based on: SR20DE
# of Cylinders: 4
Displacement: 2L
Horsepower: 250-330 HP
Torque: 200-255 ft/lbs
Aspiration: Naturally Aspirated
Application: Street or Mild Track Use

Under construction: GTS-25DE6
Based on: RB25DE
# of Cylinders: 6
Displacement: 2.5L
Horsepower: --
Torque: --
Aspiration: --
Application: --

Under construction: GTS-30DE6
Based on: VG30E
# of Cylinders: 6
Displacement: 3.0L
Horsepower: --
Torque: --
Aspiration: --
Application: --

Last edited:
Oh how I've been waiting for this.

Yeah, I finally took the bait. Figured that Ant's garage needed some competition, perhaps.

That isn't to say I'll be doing tunes left and right, this is just a side project, which is the reason for the strict rules.

Yeah, I finally took the bait. Figured that Ant's garage needed some competition, perhaps.

That isn't to say I'll be doing tunes left and right, this is just a side project, which is the reason for the strict rules.

Absolutely, after all it's no fun without competition ;)

I'm currently running Ant's 350Z actually so it will be interesting to see how your work compares, you know I've always been keenly interested in your work so I'll definitely be interested - in the middle of unpacking for now though so I don't have my rig all set up.

So I take it you're doing only drift tunes? Because, well, I'm extremely interested in your method, having been a tuner for ages. I'm also interested in what you can do with hybridizing cars, so expect a PM regarding that (it's going to be something I want built for general enjoyment), though I'm mainly curious if you can change tire size (namely width) without altering position or just upping a grip multiplier.

Also, GhostZ... That name seems familiar from many moons ago in a different game.

But it's a tuning garage..

The tuning forum doesn't discriminate.

It has been a tradition for a while that drift-only garages are in either the Drifting forum or Drift Teams board.

So I take it you're doing only drift tunes? Because, well, I'm extremely interested in your method, having been a tuner for ages. I'm also interested in what you can do with hybridizing cars, so expect a PM regarding that (it's going to be something I want built for general enjoyment), though I'm mainly curious if you can change tire size (namely width) without altering position or just upping a grip multiplier.

Also, GhostZ... That name seems familiar from many moons ago in a different game.

Been drifting online for about half a decade. About 2 years ago I adopted this car and account just for GT5 and re-learned how to drift to build a cohesive theory on drifting technique, and I established the mathematical program last summer. I think the drifting community is the most demanding, interesting, and underdeveloped of all of the driving types on GT5's online, so that's where I spend my time.

It has been a tradition for a while that drift-only garages are in either the Drifting forum or Drift Teams board.

That's a retarded tradition. Because it's a drift-tune only garage, it doesn't belong in the tuning forum?

:dunce:

That's a retarded tradition. Because it's a drift-tune only garage, it doesn't belong in the tuning forum?

:dunce:

It belongs wherever it is most useful. Few drifters go to the Tuning forum for drift tunes, and few tuners for drifting want to post in the tuning forum for htat reason. Drag racing on this board has a similar setup. This is the same reasons the "Public Drift Settings Depot" is not in the tuning forum.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=279935
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=252600
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=269056&highlight=garage

etc.

Another issue is that while there are only a few drifting garages, there are tons of garages that are not drift-exclusive. To make sure that drifters see and interact with the garage, it is much easier for everyone that they are placed in the drift forum.

Keeping all of that in mind, it actually doesn't make much sense for it to be in the Tuning forum, other than that they both have a type of "tuning" involved. It might keep everyone's little threads in the same place, but it wouldn't get tunes to drifters as effectively, which is the entire point of the garage.

Because it's a drift-tune only garage, it doesn't belong in the tuning forum?

It would be nice if there were a sub forum in the drift forum for drift specific tuning, however there's not.

As far as I can make out it's pretty common knowledge that people don't post drift tunes in the tuning forum.

It makes sense to have drift garages in the drift forum since it relates SOLELY to drifting and will allow drifters to find it easier. 👍

It really comes down to what's the easiest and tidiest solution, just like how drag tunes should be put in the drag racing forum drift tunes should be kept in the drift forum.

Good luck ghost! I will have to try one of your setups out just to see how different they are. I am open to trying new things, so why not.

It belongs wherever it is most useful. Few drifters go to the Tuning forum for drift tunes, and few tuners for drifting want to post in the tuning forum for htat reason. Drag racing on this board has a similar setup. This is the same reasons the "Public Drift Settings Depot" is not in the tuning forum.

That's so much irony that I won't even comment. :lol:

Another issue is that while there are only a few drifting garages, there are tons of garages that are not drift-exclusive. To make sure that drifters see and interact with the garage, it is much easier for everyone that they are placed in the drift forum.

Which could be fixed if you "advertised" your garage to drift teams.

e.g.
"Hey, check this thread in the tuning forum guys! It's specifically for drift cars (primarily Nissan) [insert link here]"

Keeping all of that in mind, it actually doesn't make much sense for it to be in the Tuning forum, other than that they both have a type of "tuning" involved.

So you're saying your tuning garage doesn't tune but tunes so it doesn't belong in the tuning forum?

It might keep everyone's little threads in the same place, but it wouldn't get tunes to drifters as effectively, which is the entire point of the garage.

Once again, "Advertising" to the teams.

Or... we can keep it in the drift forum so everyone who drifts can find it easily, not just teams...

Teams are comprised of a group of individuals that come together as a team to achieve a common goal.

Individuals that are solo drifters see teams using tunes from said "tuning" garage, think "maybe that's a good place to grab some tunes!", finds out it is, spreads word to his friends, rinse and repeat".

That seems awfully convoluted just to save one slot in the forum.

That's so much irony that I won't even comment. :lol:

Which could be fixed if you "advertised" your garage to drift teams.

e.g.
"Hey, check this thread in the tuning forum guys! It's specifically for drift cars (primarily Nissan) [insert link here]"

So you're saying your tuning garage doesn't tune but tunes so it doesn't belong in the tuning forum?

Once again, "Advertising" to the teams.

If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Bait? The hell.

People have been asking me to either start tuning for them or release my tunes and methods for a while now. Has nothing to do with you, really, but it was you opening a garage that gave me the prompt I needed to open this one.

I guess I don't get Drifting Forum (or Drag Racing for that matter) logic.

I don't understand your logic.. I'm not trying to be rude here (reading back at what I've said so far I can see it coming across that way) I'm just wondering why you think it's better to mix grip, drag (assumption, I know you haven't said this but it's the exact same situation) and drift tuning all in one forum when they're all very diverse methods of tuning that deserve to be separate.

If someone is new to a forum, they're going to think that they'll find tuning advice/set ups for drifting in the drift forum.. surely?

Why convolute the process of sharing knowledge just to save a few slots in a forum that is already suffering in activity as is.

I don't understand your logic.. I'm not trying to be rude here (reading back at what I've said so far I can see it coming across that way) I'm just wondering why you think it's better to mix grip, drag (assumption, I know you haven't said this but it's the exact same situation) and drift tuning all in one forum when they're all very diverse methods of tuning that deserve to be separate.

If someone is new to a forum, they're going to think that they'll find tuning advice/set ups for drifting in the drift forum.. surely?

Why convolute the process of sharing knowledge just to save a few slots in a forum that is already suffering in activity as is.

Just let it go. If he's done, I'd like this subject not to be the primary discussion on my tuning garage. It could use its own thread though.

Just let it go. If he's done, I'd like this subject not to be the primary discussion on my tuning garage. It could use its own thread though.

No I absolutely understand, I wasn't trying to drag it out and fill your thread with this nonsense. Was just trying to clear things up because this argument seems to happen every time tuning is discussed in the drift forum.

I should have taken it to PM but I got carried away, my apologies mate 👍

I currently have 1 car I have begun to work on tuning. I will start a Queue if I select any more cars to take on, and each accepted car that I take will be given a Queue number. You are still welcome to send applications.

I think the fastest I'll be able to work, for now due to my busy schedule, is about 1 car per week, with the potential for an extra one on the weekends.

It would be nice if there were a sub forum in the drift forum for drift specific tuning, however there's not.

As far as I can make out it's pretty common knowledge that people don't post drift tunes in the tuning forum.

Lol, I have a couple drift tunes in my Garage in the tuning area. I never felt the need to have two garages lol. I guess the real thing is If you have an established Garage and have a tune to share as opposed to posting it elsewhere just put it in your garage. I really only have my Ele"mental" drift box in my Garage as a Drift tune but my last few cars can be drifted (on the recommended tires or CH) easily.

Off topic

Please discuss this with me in private 👍

I currently have 1 car I have begun to work on tuning. I will start a Queue if I select any more cars to take on, and each accepted car that I take will be given a Queue number. You are still welcome to send applications.

I think the fastest I'll be able to work, for now due to my busy schedule, is about 1 car per week, with the potential for an extra one on the weekends.

Sounds good!

Will you be making tunes available on request, or will they be specific to each 'customer'?

Please discuss this with me in private 👍

Sounds good!

Will you be making tunes available on request, or will they be specific to each 'customer'?

Customer specific, and the details are completely confidential and private. If they like it, I may ask to feature the car on the front page here as an image and description, but under no circumstances will I display, reveal, or explain a full tune publicly. I wouldn't want someone to do that to me, so I wouldn't do that to them.

Customer specific, and the details are completely confidential and private. If they like it, I may ask to feature the car on the front page here as an image and description, but under no circumstances will I display, reveal, or explain a full tune publicly. I wouldn't want someone to do that to me, so I wouldn't do that to them.

Absolutely fair enough 👍

Once I have my rig all set up and I'm settled in I'll have to have words with you :lol:

I don't understand your logic.. I'm not trying to be rude here

I didn't feel like you were rude so don't worry :P

I'm just wondering why you think it's better to mix grip, drag (assumption, I know you haven't said this but it's the exact same situation) and drift tuning all in one forum when they're all very diverse methods of tuning that deserve to be separate.

It's a tuning forum. I'd understand if it said "GT5 Grip Tuning Forum" but it's a general Tuning Forum area where normal people usually go to find tunes for specific cars/situations.

Personally, I'd check the Tuning Forum first because...Tuning Forum? Not trying to sound like a douche or anything but If I..needed a tune...i'd check...The Tuning Forum! 💡 :lol:

The process of sharing the knowledge, I feel, is being diluted (unless you really mean for the sharing of knowledge to be rolled up :lol: ) as people here, and other places, decide "oh this is better suited here because it's specific even though it's a "tuning" garage and would kind of make more sense to put said "tuning" garage in the "Tuning Forum". At least that's how I feel about it.

Back