Glickenhaus Says Its Cars Won't Appear in Gran Turismo Unless Sony Pays "a Fair Royalty"

The cars that appeared in video games generally they take the focus of the gamers like GTRs that in Europe were rear shighting (before R35 generation).. For example in Gran Turismo i seen for first time manufactures like Pagani ASL etc.. some of them i liked and some not... The presentation in to the game make me to have interested and to search more about them...
So Glickenhaus dont underestimate the GT. It shapes the future drivers car culture..as a game can...

PD is a difficult negotiator because i believe that they want to bring as many cars as possible and are not very interested in offering lots of money to obtain licenses for super exclusive brands from whom almost nobody has heard of. In my point of view they are right, but it is also fair for the brand to ask what it thinks it is worth, just a normal conflict of interest..

“None of our customers care about GT. If they are interested in sim racing they use one of the many platforms that pay us a fair royalty.”

What a silly statement. The only sim with Glickenhaus cars is Assetto Corsa. There are no "many platforms".

As I mentioned on Twitter, SCG makes 15-20 cars a year and can sell every one of them, and more, from its motorsport activity alone. It's starting to make some new models that might boost that number, but it won't ever make more than 324 cars a year because that'd lose it the NHTSA classification as a niche car manufacturer, and attract some financial penalties.

As such, it doesn't need Gran Turismo for publicity, and can hold out for whatever it considers fair royalty.

But... similar niche brands like Ruf have openly stated that they see people who were Gran Turismo kids growing up, hitting their 40s, and buying a Ruf because it was dear to them when they were kids. SCG might not need the publicity now and its current customers may not give a stuff about Gran Turismo, but if it has the brand awareness now it has the customers in 15-20 years for whatever it's making then.

SCG has fooled itself into thinking it enhances the brand-value of Gran Turismo, but in reality it's opposite, SCG would bring absolutely no brand-value to Gran Turismo when you consider it's customer base (all 30-40 of them, a truly breath-taking and truly industry defining number!) and brand awareness (which pretty much translates to "no one cares" comparatively speaking), they need Gran Turismo more than Gran Turismo needs them.

Also, it's worth noting that Polyphony isn't willing to pay over the odds for licenses due to the impact it will have on the prices that themselves and other studios will have to end up paying elsewhere ontop.

Last edited:
SCG has fooled itself into thinking it enhances the value of Gran Turismo, but in reality it's opposite, SCG would bring absolutely no value to Gran Turismo when you consider it's customer base and brand awareness, they need Gran Turismo more than Gran Turismo needs them.

What financial benefit does SCG receive from being in Gran Turismo, other than licensing fees?

We're only going to get one side. There won't be a response from PD.

I'd say a response isnt necessary.

Focus on the brands that people have missed... Volvo Lotus... hell, spend up big on the Koreans and the defunct Australian brands.

SCG has fooled itself into thinking it enhances the value of Gran Turismo, but in reality it's opposite, SCG would bring absolutely no value to Gran Turismo when you consider it's customer base and brand awareness, they need Gran Turismo more than Gran Turismo needs them.
Customer base determines what cars get into a game? I don't understand that, at all.

Not only that, It kind of looks like they don't need Gran Turismo at all, if they have no trouble selling the cars they make. Did you not read the response you quoted?

Also, it's worth noting that Polyphony isn't willing to pay over the odds for licenses due to the impact it might have on the prices that themselves and other studios will have to end up paying elsewhere ontop
It's less likely a case of over-paying, and more of an issue of under-paying. They're likely getting cut short, as I'm sure there's manufacturers that cost a nice premium to license.

Yeah, okay Johnny-dismissive. I'll just assume you don't have an answer.

That’s fine, I can try to help.

It affects the public perception of the brand. And the “ripple effect.”I’m assuming your opinion is “public perception doesn’t matter.” That’s fine, personally for me - whenever I see SCG now I’ll associate them with whining on Twitter to GT fans. To me that’s a bad look and I’ll remember that sour interaction when I see them on tv.

Furthermore I imagine big brands like Ferrari or Lamborghini make a lot of revenue from sources outside of vehicle sales. Merchandise, sponsorships etc. If you have poor public perception, oopsie that won’t be a very successful outlet. I’m far from an expert and probably have no idea what I’m talking about. But more revenue means more resources to develop better racing cars and hiring better personnel.

Furthermore I imagine big brands like Ferrari or Lamborghini make a lot of revenue from sources outside of vehicle sales. Merchandise, sponsorships etc. If you have poor public perception, oopsie that won’t be a very successful outlet. I’m far from an expert and probably have no idea what I’m talking about. But more revenue means more resources to develop better racing cars and hiring better personnel.
It really doesn't seem like they're hurting in any facets, with or without Gran Turismo. I don't think Gran Turismo fans not liking their answer is going to be changing that in any timeframe. Also, it's very likely because of that, it was easy for them to make that decision.

“None of our customers care about GT. If they are interested in "sim" racing they use one of the many platforms that pay us a fair royalty.”

My favourite quote right here followed by:

"Those platforms include Assetto Corsa, and mobile series Asphalt and CSR Racing."

Sim racing on mobile phones. Who knew? :lol::lol::lol:

While I think it could be complete BS that none of THEIR customers like GT, it is for sure going to be a fact that they are closing the door to FUTURE customers.

SCG has fooled itself into thinking it enhances the brand-value of Gran Turismo, but in reality it's opposite, SCG would bring absolutely no brand-value to Gran Turismo when you consider it's customer base (all 30-40 of them, a truly breath-taking and truly industry defining number!) and brand awareness (which pretty much translates to "no one cares" comparatively speaking)
lol Kaz has made it a point to include cars in the series from brands with total customer bases in the single digits. PD has included cars in the series from brands with customer bases of zero, with brands that had stopped existing decades before any of the games came out. How much do you think recreating concept cars from the 1980s by functionally dead brands increases the brand value of Gran Turismo?

they need Gran Turismo more than Gran Turismo needs them.
Maybe you should study some very basic marketing so you can understand what you're reading.
Hi there. Marketing major here. Increased brand awareness isn't inherently something that makes any difference for niche brands. If they are continually not even able to meet demand for their products and they have a dedicated and interested audience that they've gotten because of other things they do and the cars that they make, they don't need Gran Turismo at all; certainly not to the extent that paying for appearances is financially worth it.
Maybe hypothetically you can make the argument that it would benefit them 10 or 20 years down the line, when a tiny fraction of people playing Gran Turismo become part of the idle rich able to afford $2+ million bespoke automobiles, but that's making the assumption that a company like SCG still exists then; either due to insolvency or just James Glickenhaus losing interest. Gran Turismo representation didn't seem to move the needle much for Vector or Venturi or Tommy Kaira or Spyker or Lotus; and notably being missing from Gran Turismo hasn't seemed to harm Koenigsegg or SSC or Hennessey too terribly much either. And while it seems to have helped RUF, it certainly didn't hurt Porsche in the process.

It affects the public perception of the brand. And the “ripple effect.”I’m assuming your opinion is “public perception doesn’t matter.” That’s fine, personally for me - whenever I see SCG now I’ll associate them with whining on Twitter to GT fans. To me that’s a bad look and I’ll remember that sour interaction when I see them on tv.
Elon Musk publicly whining about anything and everything that he doesn't like and generally just being a complete asshole on social media and television and the internet for over a decade hasn't seemed to do much to Tesla except when he actively lies about financial data. Scores of people do absolutely loathe him and will refuse to buy cars from him, but most people don't seem to care.

Last edited:
I think I speak for millions when I say that it's just not a Gran Turismo game without Glickenhaus
Nah. At the end of the day, Glickenhaus is just one of the brand for Gran Turismo had it actually goes in. One brand exclusion or inclusion does not make less or more of the game. Kinda like Porsche and Lamborghini back then.

“None of our customers care about GT. If they are interested in "sim" racing they use one of the many platforms that pay us a fair royalty.”

My favourite quote right here followed by:

"Those platforms include Assetto Corsa, and mobile series Asphalt and CSR Racing."
Highly bet that when he said that, it meant that their teams only uses Asseto Corsa for the simulation and not others so they struck a deal for it. Also explains the exclusion for other games, not just Gran Turismo.

Elon Musk publicly whining about anything and everything that he doesn't like and generally just being a complete asshole on social media and television and the internet for over a decade hasn't seemed to do much to Tesla except when he actively lies about financial data. Scores of people do absolutely loathe him and will refuse to buy cars from him, but most people don't seem to care.

Couldn’t you make the argument that Tesla is a global mainstream brand? And that these things are proportionate to one another?

SCG is tiny by comparison. And so the fans and the people involved are a much tighter group. Could be like being a jerk in NYC to someone compared to being a jerk in a small town.

(I don’t think Elon was behaving this way publicly before he became famous but I could be wrong.)

That’s fine, I can try to help.

My opinion isn't that public perception doesn't matter... what I'm curious about is the monetary output from that. There are plenty of people that don't play GT that know of SCG, and plenty of people that play GT and already know of SCG. There's probably a very, very small percentage of people that could/will be able to afford an SCG, and an even smaller number who play GT, that also aren't already aware of the brand... it's a non-issue, the difference in revenue is sod all.

FWIW I've spoken to Jim on other forums, and I have no doubt he does himself few favours in how he can come across, but he's neither a highly experienced forumite, or avid follower of all sim racing... it doesn't matter if he hits the wrong button, accidentally likes his own post, or posts stuff in the wrong thread, what I respect is his attitude to cars and racing - not his keyboard warrior skills.

Couldn’t you make the argument that Tesla is a global mainstream brand? And that these things are proportionate to one another?

SCG is tiny by comparison. And so the fans and the people involved are a much tighter group. Could be like being a jerk in NYC to someone compared to being a jerk in a small town.

(I don’t think Elon was behaving this way publicly before he became famous but I could be wrong.)

The thing is Tesla even before it became a global mainstream brand had no problem in licensing its cars to racing games.

I mean PGR4 a game from 2007 even had the Tesla Roadster.

This is true; but I imagine that it's true to the extent that SCG is so small and exclusive that many of the people who buy cars from the company personally know Glickenhaus and aren't likely to care that much; and Glickenhaus himself making blunt Twitter posts about things people already expected to be the case (considering the situation with Lotus in GT Sport) is also quite a bit different from doing things like committing investor fraud and claiming COVID hoaxes.

When Tesla was just a startup making Lotus Elises that looked uglier Musk was already making a fool of himself sparring with the BBC about how a show that drove a car through a mall to review it wasn't factual enough to have fairly reviewed his car. That's probably the first time many had heard his name specifically as opposed to the company.

Next time somebody asks what car would you like to see on the cover, don't suggest a hat on a hat.

Stick with the real deal.

5dcacdca2cdb32285a762097-ferrari-330-p4-1967-intro-share

I would surely think that wouldn't stand when the game is selling itself on the contents of its game I.e those brands. If a sim had no Ferraris in it, but there was a Ferrari with branding sat in the car park as you drive by, maybe that would be covered but not assets you actually use? I haven't read up on this situation but that sounds more likely to me.
You may well be right. I guess this is what test cases are for, to settle these questions of law.

There is nothing wrong about what they said.
They want to feature their car in a videogame that sells millions?
Get ready to pay up.
If you want to pay pennies, then go away.
And from that idea, PD seems to be the penny pinchers.
They'd rather give you 20 versions of the Miata than a brand new modeled car.

If you don’t like SCG getting into twitter spats you will justify why it’s wrong.

if you like SCG you will defend what they say and do and why it doesn’t matter.

For me I was neutral on SCG and the attitude lost me as a potential fan. That’s the end of it really.

In some ways, I can't believe we're 3 pages into this thread (though in the internet age, nothing really surprises me).

I think folks are waaaaay overthinking this. It's pretty simple. NEITHER party needs the other at all.

I’m sure it’s of no loss to them. Just like the whole ordeal with PD.

Sure. And I don’t expect my opinion to obviously.

To me, defending them In this way is like saying “Just be snotty to everyone in your life as long as they don’t affect your income.” And that’s what I object to.

Read the first page of this thread, and the fact this is a multiple page thread and it’s evident people care about it. Also reference the reply about RUF. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to at least acknowledge it’s not a mature choice.

Back