Glickenhaus Says Its Cars Won't Appear in Gran Turismo Unless Sony Pays "a Fair Royalty"

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Sep 3, 2020.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. Jump_Ace

Jump_Ace Staff Emeritus

[​IMG]

Jerome

jad866, Ddkklop, Skyline_R34 and 16 others like this.
  3. AudiMan2011

AudiMan2011 Contributing Writer

So Glickenhaus is just doing what he normally does; acting like an entitled, spoilt you-know-what.

traind, ClydeYellow, Ddkklop and 27 others like this.
  4. Coiler

Coiler

Does PD pay anyone nowdays to use their cars?

Ddkklop, girabyt3, BrunusCL82 and 4 others like this.
  5. Nielsen

Nielsen

Lotus recently said they hope to reappear in Gran Turismo soon. Combined with this news I’m starting to get the impression that PD are tough negotiators. Spa semminly also took a while to secure for GT Sport.

It’s ultimately good when racing game developers don’t let the licensors push them around, because these games are like interactive advertizements. I hope some manufacturers actually recognize this and pay developers to showcase their assets.

Ddkklop, Lain, chrisspeed281 and 31 others like this.
  6. redhed17

redhed17

I couldn't have picked one of their cars out of a line up, so I doubt I would miss them not being in a GT game. :) I haven't so far. ;)

Mmm, if only there was a way to get your cars seen by millions of people to increase your profile and brand awareness. :confused: :idea: :lol:

7. SZRT Ice

SZRT Ice

I'm of the mindset that brands should pay game devs to put their cars in games. Many will never have seen or heard of these unicorns, outside of seeing them in a video game. It's marketing/exposure/networking for their brands.

But yeah... Sure... Let's get real... Money makes the world go round. But I don't see a need to burn professional bridges by openly throwing a monetary tantrum on a social media platform. Not surprised the deal hasn't been made if this is how they also do business.

Example of better messaging would be:

"We would love to have our vehicles featured in the next GT game! Hopefully this can come to fruition if and when a licensing deal can be agreed on by both parties!"

Same messaging, less damaging delivery. Not so difficult. Instead, their messaging comes off as sour, butt hurt and bitter.

8. Haitauer

Haitauer

And they call Asphalt and CSR "sim racing".. :cheers::lol:

Thats steep even on gran turismo fan standarts. :odd::lol:

9. Populuxe Cowboy

Populuxe Cowboy

Considering this ruling from earlier this year, this seems like a bad take by Glickenhaus. The ruling is that Activision has the right to include Humvees in it's Call of Duty games without licensing them from AM General.

Now let's apply that to Gran Turismo (or any racing game developer).

It will be interesting when some racing game dev finally says "You know what, Jim? You're being just a little too extra. Let's put this court ruling to the test."

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    TeamCZRRacing and wolf4263 like this.
  10. deviln3

deviln3

I have a lot of love for Subaru WRX STI from the days of GT1 and GT2, and I end up buying these cars in the current game, even if I don't plan on using them.

Brands have a lot of opportunity to get future customers via games, and I agree manufacturers should be compensated for their intellectual property, but the long term benefit likely outweighs the small near term profits they are fighting over.

11. John Moore

John Moore

Should PD just make a Fictional hypercar that resembles the shape and color scheme of that particular racecar and squash the spoiled brats

12. Atwork

Atwork

The thinking is like that of Bernie Ecclestone and totally missing part of what a car is. Kids turn in to adults, kids play with toys. You can get a child brand loyal, not saying that is a good thing but it is mind boggling to me how some brand would rather miss out of millions of dollars of free advertising. I get not wanting people to make a buck of your work, but in part Lamborghini is what it is today, because it was on posters in kids rooms.

Spa seems to not have a flat rate and wanted to charge GT an arm and a leg.

fastone371, CTznOfTime, KinLM and 6 others like this.
  13. O604

O604

14. redhed17

redhed17

Kick up a fuss and moan, and you get more attention. They are saying we value our name more than PD do, implying that they think of themselves, their cars and their brand as valuable, when like I implied earlier, most people would not know about their cars. :rolleyes:

Their statement comes over as they have been approached, but value themselves/want more money. This statement could come over as 'please have us in your game'.

Which statement was more likely to get attention like this article do you think! Would there be an article with a statement like you suggest. ;)

15. AlbertaGamer

AlbertaGamer

As long as spoiled brats don't sue PD for looking like theirs, just my 2 cents. I might be wrong, or not.

CTznOfTime likes this.
  16. ynot

ynot

Guess we won't be driving those cars in GT7. And who cares?

traind, SZRT Ice, Pedinhuh and 22 others like this.
  17. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Alright Jim, have fun with your illusionary idea that you are anywhere near the worth of Ferrari (A manufacturer that ironically seems far more willing).

It is hilarious that according to him, the same people that "Don't care about GT" are the same people that play CSR Racing. Out of the loop much? :lol:

18. McLaren

McLaren Premium

Jim's profile awareness if already quite large; his wealth is from the film industry. His breakthrough into the automotive world came through with a partnership of Ferrari, although Jim was already well known in the exotic community for his collection prior; a P3/4, 412, & MK IV. GT40 are big names on the concours circuit.

He's not going to lose sleep if GT doesn't feature his cars b/c none of GT's playerbase is, in any realistic form, going to be part of Jim's directed market. The people Jim want to buy his cars have already been well aware of him.

Nexus, MikeV27, TheHun99 and 4 others like this.
  19. Phaceless_Ph

Phaceless_Ph

Translation = he tried to hold them up for money and it didn't work.

traind, dppllggr, J24681357 and 5 others like this.
  20. I think some people are missing the issue.

They're not pushing devs around. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but it appears the issue isn't that they feel they should be paid the same as Ferrari, that would be arrogant, the issue seems to be that they want PD to pay them them at least the same that other devs have paid them.
    Spoiled brats for wanting to get paid what they feel is fair? I must admit I do like the guy but he also irks me too.
    The two cars that are in AC are great cars to drive.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    ykiki likes this.
  21. hardvibes

hardvibes

This guy likes his own replies.
    Says it all.

Attached Files:

22. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

:lol:

That is just next level.

23. Famine

Famine Administrator

As I mentioned on Twitter, SCG makes 15-20 cars a year and can sell every one of them, and more, from its motorsport activity alone. It's starting to make some new models that might boost that number, but it won't ever make more than 324 cars a year because that'd lose it the NHTSA classification as a niche car manufacturer, and attract some financial penalties.

As such, it doesn't need Gran Turismo for publicity, and can hold out for whatever it considers fair royalty.

But... similar niche brands like Ruf have openly stated that they see people who were Gran Turismo kids growing up, hitting their 40s, and buying a Ruf because it was dear to them when they were kids. SCG might not need the publicity now and its current customers may not give a stuff about Gran Turismo, but if it has the brand awareness now it has the customers in 15-20 years for whatever it's making then.

We also covered that at the time - and for that reason. However, something I noted at the time might apply: the game features cars that look like the real cars, but they're never specifically named in the games. I think there's a moment in MW2 where you're told by another character to "get in the Hummvee", but that's it as far as I recall.

Having a car that both looks like the real car and is specifically named as the car within a section with the manufacturer's name might be a different legal challenge.

24. sundaydriving

sundaydriving

What are PD asking?

25. Tetraturbo

Tetraturbo

Not something unusual considering it's PD, sounds like they're horrible to deal with licenses. Zenvo tried to get in touch with PD one time and said they didn't even get a return so I don't think these brands are gonna appear on GT7 any soon.

BrunusCL82 likes this.
  26. Tornado

Tornado

I think people are dramatically overestimating how important it is for a car of this level to appear in a GT game. Wide reaching free advertising for your cool car matters quite a bit less for million dollar exotics than it does for economy cars hopped up with rally car parts.

It would take an exceptionally brave developer to do that, especially if they want to sell their game outside of the American market.

Nexus, ImaRobot, Brzlav and 1 other person like this.
  27. JTB10000

JTB10000

I don't like his attitude ‐ makes me care even less than I already did about his cars - but since this isn't new for PD/Sony, I'm inclined to assume that they are the more unreasonable ones in this situation.

28. Cocomoto

Cocomoto

Well, royaltes, are they paid by how many games are selled? Because if is that the case, a GT game would sell a lot more than AC, for example where they have their car featured. And it's a good car to drive in the game.
    But yeah, they didn't soudn very professional there..

CTznOfTime and TiMcF1 like this.
  29. Nowax

Nowax

LMAOO that's... ughhh...

30. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Did some digging and interesting to note that SCG has only appeared in:

Asphalt 8 & 9
    Assetto Corsa
    CSR Racing
    Racing Rivals

Kinda tells you how little they care about sim racing when the only title remotely close to it is Assetto Corsa and everything else is a Mobile game
    Not exactly the biggest deal if they ever appear or not in GT game personally for me, but this attitude is just stunning. Part of me shouldn't be surprised this is coming from a guy who's main fortune is from Hollywood (Insert all the jokes you want here), but it just wows me to get this from a guy his age. Not in anyway close to what I would call mature.

CTznOfTime, xxy98cn and Nowax like this.