God Made Everything

• Thread starter Jpec07
  • 40 comments
Forgotten Wing
My mom forwarded me this, I find it pretty cool and thought I should post it here:

The college professor challenged the class with this
question. "Did God make everything there is?"
One student bravely answered, "Yes!"
"Everything, young man?"
"Yes, he did, sir," the young man replied.
The professor responded, "If God made everything, then God
made evil, and if we can only create from within ourselves, then God is
evil."
The student didn't have a response and the professor was
happy to have once again proved the Christian faith to be a myth.
Then another man raised his hand and asked, "May I ask you
something, sir?"
"Yes, you may," responded the professor.
The young man stood up and said "Sir, is there such thing as
cold?"
"Of course there is, what kind of a question is that?
Haven't you ever been cold?"
The young man replied, "Actually, sir, cold does not exist.
What we consider to be cold, is really only the absence of heat. Absolute
zero is when there is absolutely no heat, but cold does not really exist.
We have only created that term to describe how we feel when heat is not
there."
The young man continued, "Sir, is there such thing as dark?"
Once again, the professor responded "Of course there is."
And once again, the student replied. "Actually, sir,
darkness does not exist. Darkness is really only the absence of light.
Darkness is only a term man developed to describe what happens when there is
no light present."
Finally, the young man asked, "Sir, is there such thing as
evil?"
The professor responded, "Of course. We have rapes, and
murders and violence everywhere in the world, those things are evil."
The student replied, "Actually, sir, evil does not exist.
Evil is simply the absence of God. Evil is a term man developed to describe
the absence of God.
God did not create evil. It isn't like truth, or love,
which exist as virtues like heat and light. Evil is simply the state where
God is not present, like cold without heat or darkness without light." The
professor had nothing to say.
Author Unknown

Quoted from a Douglas Adams book:
"Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindboggingly useful could have
evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the
non-existence of God.
"The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith,
and without faith I am nothing.'
"`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It
proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
"`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
"`Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets
himself killed on the next zebra crossing.
"Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that didn't stop
Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme of his best-selling book Well
That About Wraps It Up For God.

The student replied, "Actually, sir, evil does not exist. Evil is simply the absence of God. Evil is a term man developed to describe
the absence of God.
God did not create evil. It isn't like truth, or love,
which exist as virtues like heat and light. Evil is simply the state where

Umm. Anything can be proven with words and similarities.

My belief is that evil is a state polarised with love, they need each other. And god has created and is present in them both, just as we humans. Therefore evil is not bad as to say "it's wrong to do evil". I believe in karma. You get what you give. Give evil and get evil. Give love and get love. It's all about knowledge, not necessarily doing the right thing all the time.

Originally posted by GTJugend
Umm. Anything can be proven with words and similarities.

My belief is that evil is a state polarised with love, they need each other. And god has created and is present in them both, just as we humans. Therefore evil is not bad as to say "it's wrong to do evil". I believe in karma. You get what you give. Give evil and get evil. Give love and get love. It's all about knowledge, not necessarily doing the right thing all the time.
Evil was a word invented by humans to explain things they thought were unfair. This entire thread, excluding the posts of Sage and myself, is nonsensical. Adams' argument makes far more sense.

Originally posted by Rice Rocketeer
For the lack of a better term...yes.
Why, because we're willing to accept the fact that the only thing God's ever cause on this world is hurt and that we're actually alone?

SM: You picked a bad board to be making fun of atheists. I think the majority of the regular posters are atheist.

I don't think he's trying to make fun of atheists. It's just a demonstration of poor understanding of peoples different wiev of life.

But in a way I can understand him for doing that. I must say that it is very difficult to value another persons wiev of life the same as ones own. It is very human to see oneself as a standard for what's right and wrong. At least I do it too often.

Wow i didnt know all of you were atheist.

Ok maybe thats all he group up around. I know a kid who is about 4 years old and had never really met a black person. so when he meet one with his friends when they left he said "bye guys,... Bye black man."

:lol: i thought it was funny but he didnt know any better

Whatever its original definition and root word, which could be "god," I believe that modern context would agree that good can exist absent of any deity. "Evil is simply the absence of God." If everyone agreed God represents good, but definitions change, so change a definition and you can claim evil is the absence of cheeze whiz. Good is any act which suits the moral compass of most people. Not wholly universal, but largely agreed on.

Squid was just pointing out one of those amusing ignorances of youth. I understood you, Squid.

Originally posted by Jpec07
Evil is simply the state where
Author Unknown
If he'd had any wits at all, the professor would have said that "God is, by every religion on the planet, deemed to be omniscient and omnipresent. So therefore, there are two choices: one, God is not omiscient and omnipresent, and so religions are totally wrong on that subject; which implies that they may well be wrong on any other subject concerning Him. Two, He is omniscient and omnipresent, so He is everywhere and knows of the existence of evil. Therefore, since God is also all-powerful, it is irrelevant whether God created evil or not since He tolerates it. Since He is on the scene, aware of the problem, and powerful enough to fix it - yet refuses to do so, we must assume that He approves of evil."

What amuses me is when people say that we must experience suffering to "grow." Why? Just give me the wisdom.

Originally posted by neon_duke
If he'd had any wits at all, the professor would have said that "God is, by every religion on the planet, deemed to be omniscient and omnipresent. So therefore, there are two choices: one, God is not omiscient and omnipresent, and so religions are totally wrong on that subject; which implies that they may well be wrong on any other subject concerning Him. Two, He is omniscient and omnipresent, so He is everywhere and knows of the existence of evil. Therefore, since God is also all-powerful, it is irrelevant whether God created evil or not since He tolerates it. Since He is on the scene, aware of the problem, and powerful enough to fix it - yet refuses to do so, we must assume that He approves of evil."
I almost said that, but thought that Douglas Adams deserved the publicity. Despite the fact that he is dead.
Yes, everyone needs to read his Hitchhiker Trilogy. Despite the fact that it is five books.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Life, the Universe, and Everything
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Mostly Harmless

Duke and i have had many interesting "conversations" re:Atheism VS Deism.
As far as evil, God created the knowledge of good and evil. Satan, conned Eve into eating of the tree whose fruit bore the knowledge. At least according to the Book of Genesis.

As far as believing in an all-powerful God, and living in that vein, I figure that if Athieism is the correct view, I've lost nothing.
However, if there is a God and I live my life as if there is NO God, then I'm screwed!:lol:
As I am not the kind of guy to bet on a possible loser, I chose to "hedge my bet" by believing that God exists.

there is no "god". "god" is just some myth to keep everyone in line. think about how life would be if no one thought they had any reason to do good or to live at all. but if you feel you need somethin like that to keep you in line go for it. i think people need to get over this stuff and look at other possiablitys too. don't have such a one-track mind. think about other possiablties too. don't just say there wrong cuz there not yours. well thats just what i think.

Back