Going vigilante

  • Thread starter Thread starter englishbob
  • 61 comments
  • 3,945 views
Not really

Entirely. You dislike it when people hit you on purpose? Take a look in the mirror, buddy.

You're not making the racing any cleaner, all you did was increase the number of crashers by one. Given that there was ample evidence that the guy just wasn't a very good driver and so it may well have been a mistake, and he didn't even succeed in taking you out, I'd be more worried about being on the track beside you than him.

But that's why we have a rating system, so that you and your friends can sit down the bottom getting even with each other while the clean drivers are emotionally stable enough to get on with real racing even through a love tap or two.

 
all you have done is reinforce to this guy he needs to continue being a jackolantern to race in sport mode.

the other night i got a love tap that was purposeful (I had moved off the racing line/protected the inside), just enough to move me and let my opponent through... I tried like heck to get back by clean but he was slowly driving away. We finally caught folks conserving fuel or on worn tires on the end of the last lap, and, and on the final corner due to traffic I got a run on the straight... he turned into me again... I stayed in the throttle and got the win without succumbing to the silliness. Now, typically, I do not end up getting the spot back, I'm clean, just not fast, but that felt really good.
 
Last edited:
I've realized they're only doing me a favor. Lower SR = closer matchmaking instead of getting matched with DR.S and DR.A to fill the room at SR.S. Lower DR means easier races, mostly easier to get out of the way of rammers. Lower SR also means people aren't as upset when you make a mistake and pleasantly surprised when you apologize for it. In SR.S they'll send you PM's with nasty words... (Ok that only happened once, a first in my gaming career)

The reverse is also true. At lower SR I expect people to make mistakes and don't get upset as when being driven off the road by an A/S player that needs to get back in the race asap. People have too high expectations of SR.S imo. It's not a magic 'race is now clean' label. It's just the people that mainly do 10 lap races where SR is 3 times easier to gain.
 
It's just the people that mainly do 10 lap races where SR is 3 times easier to gain.

Actually the 10 lap races more racers seem to show better patience due to having more time or laps to set up a pass resulting in cleaner races rather than the shorter races where the attitude of I have to pass now is more prevalent.

I also find the turn 1 and 2 carnage to be of much less frequency at the start of the race in the longer races as well as again people realize you cannot win the race in the first corner but you can sure take yourself out of contention to win in that first corner.

The sport mode races seem overall to be getting better as far as people attempting to race clean and I have had many races where if there was any contact it is usually minor. This is all racing in SR S with mostly DR B and higher rated drivers.

The racing has also been a mixture of in the front of the grid along with also mid pack and at times at the rear. I do limit what tracks I race online and almost never race in the shorter races.
 
The reaction is not very sportsmanlike I admit, but the trigger for it isn't either. I forgo my hard earned B rating to slip to a C to serve out some justice for all here.
I hate to break it to you but an SR rating of B is where you start. It’s gifted to you. Not hard or earned.
 
To the OP. The video is horrible. I would be ashamed of myself. Actions like these don’t help to build a good community.
 
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left. I support capital punishment.

I always give the other person the benefit of the doubt on the 1st offense. 2nd time, they are on my **** list if I believe both times was blatantly intentional. I've only had to do this once in over 100 races in sport mode. And yes, it made me feel good as a person with no guilt or shame. And the other person's failed re-retaliation attempt was priceless.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I would understand your position if I was a C or D at best, but I wouldn't forego a hard-earned B rating for a blatant cheater, sorry but no.

And this is coming from a guy who currently is stuck in C trying his earnest to get away from it because C is a hell hole.

(That doesn't mean that, if the situation presented itself, I would have avoided hitting his back bumper before a sharp bend in a not-so accidental kind of way)
 
While racing dirty does lower SR, I am at S class Driver and Sportsmanship Rating and race eye for an eye pretty much any time a driver wrecks me. So it is possible to balance out the dirty with enough clean racing in between.
 
It's not a solution but I took great pleasure in handing out something similar yesterday. Into the first turn at interlagos this guy uses me to stop. The replay showed he braked at the turn in marker and just aimed square at me.

With my race ruined there was nothing to do but cruise round and ruin his everytime he tried to lap me.

Of course ultimately I lose out. Sr back down from s to b, but sometimes it's just too blatant to let go.
 
So many lines drawn in the sand for so many racers... It's racing. 🤬 happens.

It has a silver lining though. The people with a more relaxed attitude towards their racing can take full advantage of the stupidity.
 
You're right of course. But when you're suffering blatant punts in an sr 99/99 group, the penalty system needs further work. Otherwise a good few of us are going to get all Bruce Wayne on occasion.
 
It is hard to judge when something is om purpose during the race, I got hit in the S corners on Suzuka and thought it was intentional. I just kept running like normal but saved the replay. When i checked the replay from the other cars viewpoint i saw he was steering away from me when he came back on the track and hit me, so it was not intentional. When something happens in the first corner it could be that the car that hits you also got hit, but you only see that car. If we all would revenge those contacts there wouldn't be much clean racing left.
 
Very true. I was vindicated when I watched the replay. There's a mistake and there's braking 50 metres later than normal and pointing your car at the guy in front...
 
The guy clearly tried to take you out. I think your response was appropriate but the problem is he still finished in front!
 
You know, this brings ups a very good point about "bad driving".

The OP doesn't have his radar on, presumably because of cockpit view. Without the radar, how are you to know where the other drivers are? The other player was in your blind spot and the OP may have been running him into the grass, giving him no where to go.

I wonder in cockpit view is half the reason there are so many collisions?

Edit, I see cockpit view puts radar off to the right, which again, may be a problem as it's not as noticeable.
 
Last edited:
I've realized they're only doing me a favor. Lower SR = closer matchmaking instead of getting matched with DR.S and DR.A to fill the room at SR.S. Lower DR means easier races, mostly easier to get out of the way of rammers. Lower SR also means people aren't as upset when you make a mistake and pleasantly surprised when you apologize for it. In SR.S they'll send you PM's with nasty words... (Ok that only happened once, a first in my gaming career)

The reverse is also true. At lower SR I expect people to make mistakes and don't get upset as when being driven off the road by an A/S player that needs to get back in the race asap. People have too high expectations of SR.S imo. It's not a magic 'race is now clean' label. It's just the people that mainly do 10 lap races where SR is 3 times easier to gain.
Good post, it is too easy to get SR and sr s drivers are no better in my experience, worst case they hit you because they meant to and not by accident which is worse.
 
Good for you.
Ignore the people giving you crap for this. Sorry but at some point if the guy keeps doing it to you over and over in the same race, there needs to be a line drawn.
Also the retribution usually makes them drop out of the race. What you think that if you Be friendly and just keep letting the guy hit you he’s gonna have a change of heart and suddenly become a new person?
Some charmin comments in here,
 
Its people like you who ruin the game experience, two wrongs never make a right, or a great online experience.

Who's to say the guys (or girls) partner wasn't just fed up with them playing so much GT Sport that she (or he) smacked him (or her) over the head with a pan (or other blunt object), which in turn caused him to crash into you on the straight. No need to retaliate. Move on and maybe message them after the race.
 
Was grinding for SR last night with the samba barrel - normally comfortably last, only overtake when someone is outside the track, carefully staying out of trouble. Sooo some guy goes off track, I overtake. Some turns after that he brutally takes me out - no brakes, rear ended, off to the fence, naturally I get a penalty.
I was mad mad, but decided to look at the replay. Turns out some bloke with the same mint color as mine pushed him out and I guess he then thought it was me and went full Stuntman Mike. Sweet revenge or vigilante something I guess.
 
The OP doesn't have his radar on, presumably because of cockpit view. Without the radar, how are you to know where the other drivers are? The other player was in your blind spot and the OP may have been running him into the grass, giving him no where to go.

I wonder in cockpit view is half the reason there are so many collisions?

I always have my radar on. Look again
 
I should probably keep quiet about Plato being one of my favourite drivers, especially with how he winds up the holier than thou Matt Neal.:D

 
Back