gone all GONE! STUPID AUTO-SAVE!

  • Thread starter Thread starter fat cookie
  • 26 comments
  • 5,555 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
22
My game... it's gone cause I closed my ps2 at the wrong time!

I had all the endurances, pro. and extreme events my licences, rallys ,my 117 cars gone!! :nervous: :nervous: :( :(
 
do you think I should start again or never play gt4 again?
 
Ya start agian the game is fun to play. you got to turn the auto-save of you go to option than go down all the way down the page to Misc and turn off auto-save.
 
That reminds me: time to update my backup - I just finished my rally events and did a couple endurance races this weekend.

With all the 'deleted garages' and 'lost data' posts on GTP, I'm surprised that there are still members playing a game as time-consuming as GT4 without backing anything up... Sorry, but I just don't get it.

You should spring for a second memory card, start again, and use the PS2 browser to copy your gamesave onto your backup card every week. It's gonna be a looong wait for GT5 if you never play it again.
 
make a good descion what to start of in the game.lol
 
CrackHoor
That reminds me: time to update my backup - I just finished my rally events and did a couple endurance races this weekend.

With all the 'deleted garages' and 'lost data' posts on GTP, I'm surprised that there are still members playing a game as time-consuming as GT4 without backing anything up... Sorry, but I just don't get it.

You should spring for a second memory card, start again, and use the PS2 browser to copy your gamesave onto your backup card every week. It's gonna be a looong wait for GT5 if you never play it again.
I don't back up, re-read the posts you refer to, most involve turning the ps2 off at the wrong moment, using a non Sony card, backing up using the game etc. If you go to the trouble backing up GT4, why not every other game that takes more than a few weeks to finish? Remember, if you see 2 posts a day regarding this, there are millions of players with no problems too.
If the worst case happens.............It's only a game.
 
fat cookie
My game... it's gone cause I closed my ps2 at the wrong time!

I had all the endurances, pro. and extreme events my licences, rallys ,my 117 cars gone!! :nervous: :nervous: :( :(


So it wasn't the autosave that was stupid then, was it? I have never had a problem with my game save.
 
My thoughts exactley.
 
i got the game when it came out and i didn't bug at all.

the only time i restarted was because i willingly did so to get the black cars the first time around.
 
:( Sure you guys are smart but when will you stop hurting people's feelings
 
dont sweat it bro i did the same thing and im at 60% now. jus think. you get to do all the things right that you did wrong on the first time
 
icandriftbetter
dont sweat it bro i did the same thing and im at 60% now. jus think. you get to do all the things right that you did wrong on the first time

I just recently started a new game on a new memory card. I'm at 75.5% with my other save and theres no way I'm resetting THAT!!!
 
I remember my brother started my GT3 game again, not just once, not just twice but three times damn him but I kept goin starting with a new game everytime so alls good
DJ
 
re start! its all good!! :D
and all fun!
 
ouch, I feel for ya man, looks like I need to get a back-up card if this sort of thing is happening.
 
I'm at 50%, this is my 2nd time around because my PS2 got stolen with GT4 in and the mem card in also. I'm using auto save, should I turn it off? Whats bad about auto save? I will prob copy the card just in case.
 
autosave saves too often and apparantly messes up the memory cards.

and for your second time you'll know what NOT to do, and you'll fly through it
 
Aus Rotten
Whats bad about auto save? I will prob copy the card just in case.
Auto save cannot be fully turned off. Anytime you get into a car the game will save. If you remove your mem card or turn the machine off while it is saving then the data will be corupt (surprize, surprize!).

Make sure you backup using the PS2 browser - do not swap mem cards and save, this will loose all the cars in your garage.

The logic behind this setup is not obvious but is evidently required so the game can run and possibly reduces load and/or save times. Just need to be careful and back up (using browser) regularly.
 
Aus Rotten
I'm at 50%, this is my 2nd time around because my PS2 got stolen with GT4 in and the mem card in also. I'm using auto save, should I turn it off? Whats bad about auto save? I will prob copy the card just in case.

autosave takes up too much time i reckon and it puts you at a higher risk of corrupted data, and thanks for mentioning that the memory card was in the ps2 when it got stolen, i now keep my card in a safe place every night, because even with an insured mem card, the data on the card aint insured
 
This happened to me, becuase I was in a rush.

I have always kept auto-save off.

I think you should to.
 
I back up every time I play. I make it the last thing I do when I finish playing. I decided early on that teh pain and suffering would be worth the $15 (used) for a second memory card.

Many people don't do this because they don't see the cost-benefit ratio. They don't think the oney is worth the security until after they lose their save.

Another thing I do is take the memory card out and put it in the case when I am not playing so that the wife won't use it for The Sims.
 
chinko
autosave saves too often and apparantly messes up the memory cards.

and for your second time you'll know what NOT to do, and you'll fly through it

I found the post with the search function.

I just ran my game in and guess what? Yesterday I only closed the PS2 during a race. **** this. I vented off by beating up an old dryer.

60% and 8 cars. yeah 8. It was quality over quantity...all that time fine tuning those cars...I'm sure you couldn't find a more polished bunch. :guilty:

Guess all the fine tuning killed my cars. Ironic isn't it?

If only that would of happened with a backup or at least at the beggining of summer. Now i have to do it all again while being in university. I guess ill have to delay my plans of a drifting/racing compilation.
 
ditto Foolkiller79 comments.

I have never had a problem with auto save since the game came out. I always backup daily.
If you do not, quite frankly do not come crying.

Harsh, but true.

Steven
 
Maybe it's just because of my age but I was taught at an early age that unplugging things from PCs while they are still running is A BAD THING. This is probably because of experience I had repairing electronic goods. I've seen the damage that can be caused by the spikes of charge that occur very easily when you separate two PCBs while they are talking to eachother.

Simply put, never unplug your memory card while the PS2 is running.

The autosave is a pain, as mentioned, because it is always on, which makes if difficult to decide when its busy overwriting the save game, so I tend to quit to arcade mode and wait for the Ford GT to start panning before I switch off. Haven't had a hassle yet. My autosave is off, not that doing this was a fat load of good because PD clearly misunderstood the concept of an "Autosave - OFF" option.

It seems easy to do but you just have to be cautious and try not to do plug and unplug things like memory cards, controllers, CDs, and even the USB Flash stick while the game is obviously busy doing something, even if its just swapping or updating a screen. If it's running one of the demo replays, I stop the replay and wait a few seconds before doing anything. Then, with the exception of the USB Flash stick, which I am assured can be installed and uninstalled "hot", I turn the PS2 off before removing a memory card, or reset before removing the GT4 CD.

Oh yeah, and "loose" means unsecure. as in a loose lugnut. When you misplace something, or have something taken away from you by some outside influence, you "lose" it, you don't "loose" it. If you lose something, you cannot loosen it until you find it again.

/END GRUMP
 
It's pretty harsh when stuff like this happens.... :( but the only advice I can give is that if your game save is so precious to you (which it is to any self-respecting GT4 player ;) ), then you have to be prepared to take extra steps to ensure that you don't lose it. Buy a Max Drive and back up your game save regularly, and store it on your PC.... buy a second memory card and copy your game save on to that...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back