Gone back to GT5 after dashboard update

• Thread starter MaDHaX
  • 61 comments
United Kingdom
London
MadHax
M8DH8X
I am a wheel user and bought the Fanatec GT2 wheel for FM4 but after the recent dashboard update left me with a wheel that is unusable in FM4 most of the time.

I get alot of things going wrong with it, one race on laguna seca my wheel locked to the left while overtaking someone and it looked like I took him out on purpose. It is inexcusable that microsoft would release such an update that effect wheel users, I know i'm not the only one it has effected.

The other problems I get is brakes locking up at only 10% squeez, throttle response isnt right either and force feedback dissappearing. I have given microsoft a good 3 months to sort out this mess and they havent. To me it looks like they dont give a **** so from me a big F you micro$oft and i'm never spending my money on your greedy arse company ever again for ****ing me over like that nice one arseholes.

So i'm going back to GT5 where they have proper support for wheel users and is a fantastic game with incredible physics on the wheel (apart from ****** car sound effects)

Thanks again microsoft and good bye turn 10, i wont be returning or buying forza horizon unless microsoft sorts this **** out

live account: GTP MaDHaX
PSN: MadHax

I'm sorry you feel this way. I'm sure you're definitely not the only one who's outraged at the new update. Even I'm experiencing differences in car control in Forza 4, and I'm a pad user! It seems the brakes lock up easily on tracks with steep inclines or declines like Laguna Seca or Camino's Extreme circuit. I play with simulation damage on, and I find it VERY annoying when I know I hit the dang clutch button and it sometimes fails to respond (I.E. 4% transmission damage). Quite annoying when you're attempting to recover from an accident and the clutch fails to respond, leaving you in 1st gear for a while. Hopefully Microsoft sort this mess out, because it's hurting Turn 10's reputation badly.

I have a GT2 and had some problems after the update, but after the second update everything went back to normal.

I have a GT2 and had some problems after the update, but after the second update everything went back to normal.

My GT2 has been a lot better after the second update, but some of the same problems happen from time to time. Some wheel users on the official forums have said the second update didn't fix their problems at all.

My GT2 has been a lot better after the second update, but some of the same problems happen from time to time. Some wheel users on the official forums have said the second update didn't fix their problems at all.

Its a shame because Forza is missing out on a lot potential customers by not supporting products by logitec and by there piss poor wheel support.

I can understand the frustration.

because it's hurting Turn 10's reputation badly.

Unfortunately, it's not. Because it gets covered pretty quickly.... by the monthly DLC.... because people are very content with release monthly charged content. If it was the case, Forza wouldn't have the issues it's had since FM2. The only big correcting update i've seen Turn10 push out was the whole "No in-car drivers hand animation" correction update for FM3. Which as you also say, the drivers hand animations are silly. But going into FM4, we all know Forza's faults. It's not exactly old news I hate to break it to you.

I fortunately own both consoles and both games. and I'm a wheel user on GT5. Forza to me, will always feel like a game you use the game pad with. The simulation physics were nice, but to me... it feels awkward. So I just stick with the normal driving physics. GT in my eyes, was the only game that felt completely at home with a wheel. It terms of recent console racing games.

But OP, even though i'm a pad user with Forza, I race very gentlemen like... otherwords, I won't really battle for position. I prefer the strategy of "I'll be patient and let others take each other out." Infact I was racing in a hopper yesterday evening. I made a miscalculation in the first corner of Laguna Seca, locked up, and took someone out... which also took another guy out. I had my microphone on, I apologized and let the two guys ahead. My voice was apparently not heard. I was quickly voted to boot post race... and then I was profiled reviewed as "Unsporting"

It's one of those... oh well situations...

I originally posted this on forzaplanet but got banned for profanity...lol, banned until tomorrow.

I'll post up there too maybe turn 10 will see and try and do something about it because if I give up FM4 for GT5 for lack of wheel support i'm sure there is or will be others too.

It's a damn shame because forza is shaping up to be a great game, it just sucks that its on microsoft's xbox.

The only way to make the wheel reliable is to have the wheel connected via usb not wireless, microsoft need to take their heads out of their backsides and change it. All this crap because they dont want 3rd party companies making controllers without a license.

people in China will always find away but in the meantime the consumers are the ones that always get hit, thanks microsoft you suck.

Sony has good support and no BS with wheels, I guess thats what I get for being curious about forza, will know better for next time.

I agree with you that MS should open up 3rd party wheel support as it benefits the consumer, but I wouldn't be praising Sony for their support. It's much better than MS's but Logitech went from being THEY wheel for GT and with GT5 that got switched to the Thrustmaster. G series wheels eventually got official support much much later and they still exhibit a strange high speed straight wheel wobble phenomena that only happens with Logitech wheels. Also the clutch doesn't work right in GT5.

The best bet for wheel support and full functionality/tweaks is on PC unfortunately. But on the consoles, each gen it's getting much better than the last one!

FYI wheels I've had and used this gen:
Logitech 270deg MOMO Force wheel, tip, no clutch
MS 270deg wheel, tip, no clutch
Logitech 900deg DFGT, tip, no clutch
FANATEC 900deg CSR wheel, CSR Elite pedals, everything at my disposal. Use sub 900deg setting, paddle shifting, rarely use clutch (just more fun to me).

I love my Fanatec setup

I agree with you that MS should open up 3rd party wheel support as it benefits the consumer, but I wouldn't be praising Sony for their support. It's much better than MS's but Logitech went from being THEY wheel for GT and with GT5 that got switched to the Thrustmaster. G series wheels eventually got official support much much later and they still exhibit a strange high speed straight wheel wobble phenomena that only happens with Logitech wheels. Also the clutch doesn't work right in GT5.

The best bet for wheel support and full functionality/tweaks is on PC unfortunately. But on the consoles, each gen it's getting much better than the last one!

FYI wheels I've had and used this gen:
Logitech 270deg MOMO Force wheel, tip, no clutch
MS 270deg wheel, tip, no clutch
Logitech 900deg DFGT, tip, no clutch
FANATEC 900deg CSR wheel, CSR Elite pedals, everything at my disposal. Use sub 900deg setting, paddle shifting, rarely use clutch (just more fun to me).

I love my Fanatec setup

I get that wobble on my gt2 as well so I don't think it's exclusive to Logitech wheels

That is what makes this problem hard to diagnose from MS I guess. Its just a handful of users that gets the wheel bug. My wheel works just fine after these updates.

I get that wobble on my gt2 as well so I don't think it's exclusive to Logitech wheels

Strange, I haven't heard about the wobble being there with any Fanatec wheel until your post. No other game does this, just GT5 with my DFGT.

Do you have the game's latest patch and wheel's latest firmware?

I'll post up there too maybe turn 10 will see and try and do something about it because if I give up FM4 for GT5 for lack of wheel support i'm sure there is or will be others too.
I hate to rain on your parade, but let's be realistic for a second or two: I'd say that easily 90 or 95% of the Forza and GT players are using controllers to play the game. I'd assume that, for MS, the licensing fees they're receiving from third party companies outweigh the few players who're potentially dropping Forza because of the wheel support.

That's not to say it doesn't suck. It's just the way it is... And, by the way, you might as well blame Logitech and Thrustmaster for not producing Xbox-compatible wheels. Because, in the end, the reason for the wheel manufacturers and MS to do what they're doing is the the same: They just didn't come up with a business case that would change their opinion on the matter.

You'd be better off starting at Xbox.com/support. System updates is not Turn 10's responsibility, it's X-Box's. At best Turn 10 can tell Xbox that there are a number of players with wheel issues, and then Xbox will investigate the issue. It's exactly the same way that the last wheel support debacle proceeded.

Thanks for the info guys, yes I know about the xbox.com/support and was watching for awhile until I gave up on a fix. It really does look like they dont give a **** about their customers, I mean at some point one of the guys there was saying that it's fanatec's problem, wtf? how?
It was working fine before they released patch but try and argue that to them.

I have no respect for microsoft anymore, if they really wanted to stop unlicensed accessories then they should have looked at other ways of approaching this including some testing with product's that do have a license like fanatec. At the very least an official appology is in order along with taking back the patch or releasing a pre patch update that would put the xbox in the state it was in before update, but no! microsoft wont allow a single day to go by where an unlicensed product can be used on xbox, they would rather let genuine customers suffer because they have their heads shoved so far up each others arses.

and yes i'm p!ssed this **** is too out of order. MICROSOFT! you have been paid for that fanatec license now fix this ****.

I'm not defending MS nor Fanatec here but I think the bulk of owners don't have any issue. I have read though that some Fanatec owners had issues after MS's latest patch but I think it's a very small group. It still sucks that you're experiencing the problems but Fanatec and/or MS has to provide more support. Have you tried a different firmware for your GT2 wheel? Try reflashing it again. I've read some folks have had issues with their wheels due to the firmware, before this MS patch.

Do you play on PS3/PC with your wheel? Any issues with that or is it MS X360 related only and after the latest patch?

I have fw 681 at the moment, never refleashed it's the same as how it came to me. I heard fanatec was testing a new fw for a whole range of wheel's which support auto clutch function on the GT2 but dont know if they released an official full version.

I dont have a good enough graphics card on PC yet. I'm on PS3 with no problems except for the wobble at high speed straights (I noticed it on the Vettel X1 just the other day) but I had that on my G25 wheel also so thats normal.

I might have to try out GT5 high speed straight again, cuz so far I haven't experienced it on my CSR setup. Only my Logitech wheels. You and hennessey86 have the GT2 wheels who both experienced the strange high speed wobble.

Check the FW as I think they have beta versions of the latest one out now. See the hardware section, I think there was a link in one of the threads. I'm still on the last official release but might give the latest beta one a go.

Last time I checked the beta version did not work for the GT2, Savoury69 said not to flash the beta on my wheel because it would not work on xbox. At the time it wasnt, I dont know if they have fixed the beta but it deffinetly wasnt working for the GT2 before.

I have a CSR and have had some problems after the 2nd update( I never got the 1st update). The one thing I noticed is with the wheel connected if I push the quide button and the battery/controller icon shows up next to the guide icon, I have problems like the wheel locking to one side, FF going in and out.If I shut the wheel down and power it back up to get only the guide icon to show I can usually play with little or no issues.

I don't know if this will help you , but it has been working for me.

You'd be better off starting at Xbox.com/support. System updates is not Turn 10's responsibility, it's X-Box's. At best Turn 10 can tell Xbox that there are a number of players with wheel issues, and then Xbox will investigate the issue.

This is exactly what has happened.

• The issue was reported after the dashboard update on the official forza forums.
  • T10 staff posted that they have noted there is a problem and they contacted Xbox to try and work on a resolution.
  • Xbox posted on the official forza forums that they are looking into it, then reposted that the affected wheel users contact them with the view to add them into the fall dashboard beta to ensure these issues wouldn't be in that future dashboard update.
  • People are now testing the beta with their wheels and reporting any problems to xbox.... privately.

Problem is Xbox won't just release a rushed new dashboard update instantly like the OP seems to want, and rightly so, because that's partly why the current dashboard is broken for some people.

Go cool off and enjoy some GT5 and come back in Fall. :cheers:

I think I'll stay away until there is a fix and new firmware for the wheel. Truth be told the only thing that wants me to play FM4 more than GT5 is the sound and choice of cars otherwise I would have stayed put with GT5. The physics work better on GT5 when your using a wheel compared to FM4. And I miss the tracks. I wish these were in GT5 - Hockenhiem, Infineon, Catalunya, Mutegi, Sebring, Iberian and Sedona awesome tracks.

I think I'll stay away until there is a fix and new firmware for the wheel. Truth be told the only thing that wants me to play FM4 more than GT5 is the sound and choice of cars otherwise I would have stayed put with GT5. The physics work better on GT5 when your using a wheel compared to FM4. And I miss the tracks. I wish these were in GT5 - Hockenhiem, Infineon, Catalunya, Mutegi, Sebring, Iberian and Sedona awesome tracks.

1. Try the new beta firmware (7.50), http://911wheel.de/?q=node/8947 It lists the GT2 specifically so it is designed for your wheel..

2. It sounds like you have some communications issue that may well have originated after a dash update, but since the majority of people say everything is hunky dory after the second update, you have to at least look around and eliminate a few things.. For example, I found my PS2 lead connecting the pedals/wheel has come loose the other day, I was getting erratic pedal behaviour then.. I also have had a cheap wireless keyboard in close proximity that not only affects my wheel and my gamepad, but also my Phone Wifi signal dies.. so I took that out the equation and everything was OK again.. then I had an issue with the wheel not having good FFB, that turned out to be down to my brother having borrowed the wheel for a weekend gave it back with the wrong PSU!!..
The moral of the story, do what you can to ensure it's not something your end...

3. Contact support, if your wheel is playing up, contact Fanatec and assume nothing, they'll ask for a video, so try and make one, if it looks faulty, they may replace it.. don't take someone on a forums word for anything until Fanatec so no, assume you are within your rights in reporting a faulty issue.. if they say it's MS's problem, take it up with MS and go through their support..

I think stuff happens, I still happily play GT5 despite two corrupt save games, they eventually fixed it, and I was able to complete the A-Spec finally.. Doesn't put me off GT6 at all

I was thinking of taking the plunge and spending the $$$ on the Fanatec GT2. I think I'll just keep my MS Xbox360 wheel, as I have never had any issues with it.

Thanks PzR Crazy yeah I think I have a replay of the wheel locking in a race and hopefully the brakes locking aswell, I'll take a look.

I had a blast in the F1 cars on GT5 weekend gone and OMG I can't believe I didnt try that before. No issue's at all not even that high speed woble on GT2 wheel. I had it with the Vettel X1 though. Maybe Polyphony patched it up because I seem to remember bad high speed wobble on G25 wheel a couple patches ago.

Had real fun in those F1 cars and I guess it helped out and i'm not fuming so bad anymore :) my last race last night on monza was the best all weekend.

I'll try and get the FM4 replay of wheel locking on youtube and post link here and maybe the F1 race I had too if you guys wanna see it?

As some others have mentioned.

When using your Wheel(I'm assuming set greater than 270*) press the guide button.
Sometimes an Xbox controller icon will show next to your headset icon.
Power off your wheel until the controller icon doesn't show.
You should have no issues then.

If your wheel goes to sleep, when re binding check your guide button icon.

I get no problems as long as the controller icon is not visible.
When using a SENS setting of 270 or lower it automatically thinks its a controller.
Try adjusting your SENS above and below 270 and see how the Xbox detects a controller change.

Hope this helps.

I have never noticed the xbox icon at all, I will have to try this at some point thanks Spagetti.
I have my wheel set at 900 degrees and was working great before this update.

I recorded the online race showing how my wheel locked but it is in black and white, sorry about that. And the race was shaping up to be a good race. :boggled:

I was thinking of taking the plunge and spending the $$$ on the Fanatec GT2. I think I'll just keep my MS Xbox360 wheel, as I have never had any issues with it.

You must be one of the lucky ones. I had the wheel locking issues in fm3 way before the dashboard update with the MS wheel, I also went though 3 of those wheels before I bought fanatec, then never really had a problem since. Never regretted it for a second.

I have never noticed the xbox icon at all, I will have to try this at some point thanks Spagetti.
I have my wheel set at 900 degrees and was working great before this update.

I recorded the online race showing how my wheel locked but it is in black and white, sorry about that. And the race was shaping up to be a good race. :boggled:

My PWTS used to occasionally lockup, it was PITA because I was actively racing in a few competitions and it comically always happened when I was leading.. I had to turn off/on and reconnect quickly to recover..

I have to say the CSR has been faultless in this regard, no lockups, it just works..

I get the sense the PWTS had a design issue, and it wouldn't surprise me if the closely related GT2 didn't cure all the problems.. The CSR is a whole different design, and certainly the one I'd recommend to anyone buying a new wheel.

top righthand corner looks like a controller you don't want that.

xboxguide.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Back