Google Stadia to Launch November 19 for Founder's Edition

And there are rumors that the PS5 controller will work with Stadia.

At least if you buy a game on psn or xbox live its yours on the hard drive, why would you buy a game on stadia that is also behind a paywall to access it? The moment you stop paying a monthly sub your games collection is held to ransom... Stadia in principle is a good idea, but with capitalism in the mix... hell no

At least if you buy a game on psn or xbox live its yours on the hard drive, why would you buy a game on stadia that is also behind a paywall to access it? The moment you stop paying a monthly sub your games collection is held to ransom... Stadia in principle is a good idea, but with capitalism in the mix... hell no
You have been locked out of Google stadia for right wing political views!

No thanks Google.

The biggest thing that I remain to be convinced about from a technical point of view is the latency.

If your local Stadia server is, say, 500 miles away then assuming a direct fibre connection you already have a latency of over 2.5ms (due to c) and that's not counting any further latency introduced by routing to your ISP, and then how much latency your ISP causes.

I am not convinced with the subscription model at all, so I won't be buying into it. I prefer to own my games. I have more than enough backlog on PS4, Mac and PC to keep me occupied anyway should the entire world stop selling games and move to subscription.

I’d say this will fail, but I’d be wrong. Netflix and Amazon have successfully replaced dvds in many homes across the world this is no different.
I won’t be participating until I no longer have an option.

I’d say this will fail, but I’d be wrong. Netflix and Amazon have successfully replaced dvds in many homes across the world this is no different.

Streaming films or music is not latency dependant. Once you've got a stream going it doesn't matter if the latency is over a second from request to delivery as long as your buffer is adequately filled.

But you can't buffer a game.

You probably will still have options to play games without streaming, you know.

Streaming films or music is not latency dependant. Once you've got a stream going it doesn't matter if the latency is over a second from request to delivery as long as your buffer is adequately filled.

But you can't buffer a game.

Also, unlike streaming services for music (Maybe more so films, but even then) what matters for games consoles is well...games. and looking at the games that have been advertised most heavily with Stadia (Mainly, Ubisoft online titles like The Crew 2, Division 2) it doesn't really make me jump out to go buy one, even if it wasn't a streaming intensive console, because all the titles that are coming out for it I can easily buy into on other consoles, and at least know that when I play it, even with them being online only games, they'll be reliable and I won't be handicapping myself if my internet connection isn't strong enough. Where are the exclusive games? What about stuff that makes Stadia something that I should go out and buy? Everything else I can already buy on other home consoles.

To loop it back to this forum, I'd seriously be interested in the two racing games at launch (GRID 2019 and The Crew 2) fare in comparison to their non-streaming console counterparts. I'd also be wondering if these two games, which don't have the greatest handling physics even for what they are, handle even worse when you factor in that I could be getting latency involved too.

Is that really how it works? In that case, its a no for me as well. I don't like finite gaming experiences, its why I stay clear from games that are always online, or are primarily online focused, with little in the way of offline content. I prefer games that I can come back to one, two, or even five decades later. Not games that become inaccessible the moment its online service is cut short, much like my experience with Dust 514 or MAG. I don't want to go through that kind of misery again.

The biggest thing that I remain to be convinced about from a technical point of view is the latency.

If your local Stadia server is, say, 500 miles away then assuming a direct fibre connection you already have a latency of over 2.5ms (due to c) and that's not counting any further latency introduced by routing to your ISP, and then how much latency your ISP causes.

I am not convinced with the subscription model at all, so I won't be buying into it. I prefer to own my games. I have more than enough backlog on PS4, Mac and PC to keep me occupied anyway should the entire world stop selling games and move to subscription.

2.5ms is nothing, the fastest recorded human reaction time in sport is 190ms (Valtteri Bottas @ the red bull ring) it takes about 200ms to blink, there’s more latency in your average tv around 30ms.
I do agree that latency will be a major issue though.

This is my biggest concern, latency issues will improve over time with technology, but stuffing my games collection behind a subscription service gets a big fat no from me.

I wouldn't mind as much if you paid the subscription and had access to all the games on Stadia for that fee. But correct me if I'm wrong, you have to pay the subscription and then buy the games you want to play too (though I believe a handful of games will be available for free to premium subscribers).

OnLive tried it 10 years ago, it was crap. Don't see how Stadia is any different, not to mention it only has like 3 games on it.

Can't see the difference between this and the current consoles available.Online only play behind a paywall is now common while the case of Sony vs Geohot proved ownership of consoles/games has being legally downgraded to a lease.Performance issues aside,This need for complete control of all devices by corporations is my main concern.
Why would a controller connect via the internet rather than BT? (GamesRadar PS5)

Last edited:
Your games aren't locked behind a paywall. If you have Stadia Pro and choose to not pay the monthly fee anymore, you can still play any game you bought with Stadia Basic, which is free.

As for latency, I can't see it being much of an issue. I was in the beta program with Google's streaming service where I could play Assassin's Creed Odyssey. There were a few hiccups, but overall the quality was good, the controller input was solid, and I never experienced any major network interruptions. This will, of course, different depending on where you live. I can't see this working if you live in a rural area where you can't get quick internet.

Regarding the Stadia, I'm thinking about getting it. It has some appeal to me since I no longer want to buy a console other than maybe something Nintendo puts out. I also play nearly all my games on my PC and having an option to switch to any TV or phone intrigues me. I'll probably pass on the Founders Edition and wait and see what the reviews have to say once it's launched.

OnLive tried it 10 years ago, it was crap. Don't see how Stadia is any different, not to mention it only has like 3 games on it.
A decade ago I had a 5meg connection, now I have a 350meg connection for the same price.

It's different because technology moves on and it's not the same environment it was a decade ago.

Sorry my meaning is that google will cancel it.

I don't see why it would cancel it, at least not at first. It's priced right and assuming it works as expected, it should sell decently well. If it doesn't, I'm guessing it'll be at least a year or more before Google scaps it. I mean they held onto Google+ for a really long time despite no one really using it.

Back