Google's Rumored Console Could be Revealed March 19

Oh ok. A misunderstanding. But still I would like to know why would Sony fight a losing battle?
Without knowing too many details I would think both MS and Google would have quite a head start in terms of network and server infrastructure compared to Sony.

Of course, but streaming isn't one of them. It's already widely used for music, movies and television, the next logical step is gaming.

It's almost as if all those mediums are not interactive like games.

Its not logical at all :lol:
In a time where PS4 is going to be the second best selling Playstation of all time, and third best selling console of all time, where Nintendo SW is staying in line with PS4, and where we just had massive outcry at the beginning for 24 hour internet checks, its the opposite.

MS is pushing hard for it, partly to please their cloud business, and partly because their hardware business has tanked. Google aren't going to get into hardware because they're inexperienced and gaming is incredibly hard to breakthrough (you need majority third party support and robust exclusive lineup). The last time someone entered the gaming hardware market was in 2002. Even earlier if you consider when MS made the decision.

Is there going to a market for game streaming? Yes, many players are already in said market. Is it going to threaten hardware? Not even close. The revenue stream Sony gets is far superior (third party software cut, hardware cut, first party software sales, PSN sub, hardware accessories).

Without knowing too many details I would think both MS and Google would have quite a head start in terms of network and server infrastructure compared to Sony.

They're also both working in-house, whereas Sony relies on Amazon or other third-parties for its full network.

I remember google touting google+ and google glass as the next big thing.

Do you also remember Sony's 3D TVs? The Vita? The Minidisc?

Any big company has a history of product missteps. But as the PS4 proves, those above examples didn't dictate the company's future fortunes.

I could be in the minority here. But I feel like Google is WAY too big and I do not want them entering any other aspect of my life, especially gaming.

The don't let Google into your life then? Seems pretty straightforward.

So many misinformed statements here. Stadia ain't even a threat to Sony.
It's cute you think Sony is the corporate juggernaut that it was 15 (20?) years ago, where they can just steamroll any competition they want. Sony is Playstation, Sony Financial Services, Sony Music, and then a bunch of other mostly money losing divisions that investors have been calling for Sony to shed for a decade. If anything happened that seriously jeopardized the SCE part of Sony, the entire company would possibly go down with it. Google on the other hand, just like Microsoft, have so much of money that they do burn on things that are ultimately completely frivolous that they could buy Sony in its entirety just to shut the company down. It's why that "Sony to buy Take Two" rumor from a week or so ago sounded so stupid from the start. The major threat to Stadia is not Sony. It's whether Google can keep its traditionally hideously short attention span on this for longer than the year it would take to get any market traction whatsoever before abandoning it; and whether consumers are willing to accept further dividing of the market up at all. Also maybe regulators, but the ones making the most noise about that need to actually get elected to a position of power first.

There will be market resistance to this, as well there should be since this represents a paradigm shift in the industry that many who can even use it won't accept. On top of it just being another console to divide the market, Google will have to overcome that and continue to support it for it to have any legs at all against their typical practices. But to act as if Sony is the one calling the shots when there has already been a player in this industry willing to piss billions of dollars into the toilet just to get their foot in the door is absurd.

Last edited:
Interesting to see how it goes, apart from the obvious issue for people with slower/capped connections, im not quite sure about the input lag issue (as many others are), atleast for my own enjoyment.

At 60hz a PC can achieve 30-50ms input lag.
And DF tested stadia in pretty much ideal conditions connection wise and got 160ms?
Stadia test was running at 30fps if I'm not wrong (for whatever reason?). So if we take 17ms out of that.. its still not very great.
Umm.. hmm. :indiff:

I'm not sure how or why Xbox 1 X would get so high numbers anyway. At 60fps it should get very close to same as a PC with a decent screen.

The don't let Google into your life then? Seems pretty straightforward.
That was literally the point of the post, along with seeing if I’m the only one who feels that way. Clearly I am not.

It's cute you think Sony is the corporate juggernaut that it was 15 (20?) years ago, where they can just steamroll any competition they want. Sony is Playstation, Sony Financial Services, Sony Music, and then a bunch of other mostly money losing divisions that investors have been calling for Sony to shed for a decade. If anything happened that seriously jeopardized the SCE part of Sony, the entire company would possibly go down with it

It cute that you think any of that is relevant to Sony being a juggernaut in the gaming space.
Yes, Sony which has $10 billion+ in cash alone is suddenly going bankrupt. Its posts like these that highlight how out of touch some are with the reality of things.

Google on the other hand, just like Microsoft, have so much of money that they do burn on things that are ultimately completely frivolous that they could buy Sony in its entirety just to shut the company down.

Having money is no guarantee of being competent in the industry. So let them burn money.

But to act as if Sony is the one calling the shots when there has already been a player in this industry willing to piss billions of dollars into the toilet just to get their foot in the door is absurd.

You mean the company thats getting outsold more than 2:1 by Sony :lol:
Sony is calling the shots simply due to their marketshare. Playstation revenue is greater than MS's entire gaming division and Nintendo combined. PS4 is well on its way to 100 million, while XB1 struggles to reach 50 million. The majority of software sales for notable third party games are on PS4.

It cute that you think any of that is relevant to Sony being a juggernaut in the gaming space.
It's quite relevant, actually. Sony is a much healthier company than back when the PS3 or PS4 launched. If Google dumps the actual box on the market for a hundred bucks with no regard for how much money they lose in the process, you think Sony can afford to get in a shooting match anyway?

Yes, Sony which has $10 billion+ in cash alone is suddenly going bankrupt. Its posts like these that highlight how out of touch some are with the reality of things.
I didn't say "suddenly." Arguing points that weren't made just makes you look foolish.

That's 10 billion in cash reserves that the entire company draws from when needed, by the way; including the divisions that perennially lose money and divisions that are built around large financial risk. Either way, coming off nearly a decade of Sony teetering between "breaking even" and "losing billions of dollars" before being actually consistently profitable of late, they probably don't want the SCE part of the company to start sucking that money up instead of contributing to it.

Having money is no guarantee of being competent in the industry. So let them burn money.
You mean like having a profitable division in 2018 is no guarantee of having a profitable division in perpetuity when facing a new competitor and a new product cycle?

That's something Sony should be pretty intimately aware of, by the way.

You mean the company thats getting outsold more than 2:1 by Sony :lol:
Yes, the company where that doesn't matter for them to stay in the market, just like it won't matter for Google to stay in the market. What you're still failing to grasp here is that the SCE part of Sony needing to be profitable to contribute to carrying the corporate parent isn't nearly as important of a consideration for companies that are approaching twenty times the size of Sony.

Google doesn't seem terribly concerned with how Sony is positioned right now or they wouldn't have bothered designing a new game console with eyes on the future of the medium; and Sony should absolutely be concerned with another company with deep pockets jumping into a market that for a decade has consistently been a profit source no matter how much the parent company was losing at the time.

Playstation revenue is greater than MS's entire gaming division and Nintendo combined.
That's fantastic for Sony in 2018, which is I assume where you're getting those numbers. Why is it relevant for Sony after 2019? Why is it relevant for Google ever?

Sony is calling the shots simply due to their marketshare.
PS4 is well on its way to 100 million, while XB1 struggles to reach 50 million. The majority of software sales for notable third party games are on PS4.
Since this console generation is already pretty near the end, why do you think Google cares? Hell, why do you think anyone here cares about you stroking off Sony's sales numbers?

Last edited:
This has to be the most ignorant take on the console industry I've ever seen on a forum about videogames :lol:

If Google dumps the actual box on the market for a hundred bucks with no regard for how much money they lose in the process, you think Sony can afford to get in a shooting match anyway?

Wouldn't be much of a match. Sony has all the third parties, and well known first party, 40 million or so PSN subscribers and a brandname that everyone in gaming knows.

Google doesn't stand a chance here. Throwing money won't singlehandedly grant it any of those.

That's 10 billion in cash reserves that the entire company draws from when needed, by the way; including the divisions that perennially lose money and divisions that are built around large financial risk. Either way, coming off nearly a decade of Sony teetering between "breaking even" and "losing billions of dollars" before being actually consistently profitable of late, they probably don't want the SCE part of the company to start sucking that money up instead of contributing to it.

Wrong.
You don't even understand the basics of business. There is a cashflow, money going in, money going out, profit/loss. This is a reserve.

Please use actual figures instead of this make believe world you live in. FY 2017 SNY just posted the highest profits its had in its entire history.

96HEy28.png

Oh would you look at that the cash reserve actually grew by $6 billion or so in one year :lol:

You mean like having a profitable division in 2018 is no guarantee of having a profitable division in perpetuity when facing a new competitor and a new product cycle?

Yes because that base of 90 million PS4 is suddenly not going to buy a single game, everyone is going to cancel their PSN subscriptions and PS4 sales are going to 0. Oh and PS5 is not going to sell.

This is getting embarrassing.

Meanwhile in reality and not some made up land you live in

DyTL2ugX4AIU8rA.jpg

DyTMSrpWoAArJfQ.jpg

It's almost as if there are things called trends. The dip in revenue/profits of prior gens due to hardware decline is no longer a worry for Sony as PSN makes billions on its existing base.

Yes, the company where that doesn't matter for them to stay in the market, just like it won't matter for Google to stay in the market.

Google and MS have both failed and dropped out of numerous sectors so thats demonstrably false :lol:

Why is it relevant for Google ever?

If Google wants to be a big player in gaming it's relevant regardless if you want it to be or not. If wants this to be another canned pet project in its long line of failures then sure, ignore the biggest player in the market.

Wouldn't it be great if we could get to a stage where everybody was just happy to have people making games and consoles/systems for us all to play those games on without the need to get into the patheticness we can see above. It's almost like some are involved in some brain washing cult. Very strange.

Personally I would just say a big thanks to them all for giving me so much enjoyment over the past 40 years.

Wouldn't it be great if we could get to a stage where everybody was just happy to have people making games and consoles/systems for us all to play those games on without the need to get into the patheticness we can see above. It's almost like some are involved in some brain washing cult. Very strange.

Personally I would just say a big thanks to them all for giving me so much enjoyment over the past 40 years.
Why would anyone want to be happy with that when Sony is making billions and have sold so many consoles, and that GTS is going to be the most sold racing game of all time? More games/consoles don't matter when we have that information.

To be fair, this discourse has been almost polite compared to the PS3 360 early days.
Fanboys will always exist as people seek to validate their purchase choices/and or decisions.

This has to be the most ignorant take on the console industry I've ever seen on a forum about videogames
You don't even understand the basics of business.
Meanwhile in reality and not some made up land you live in.
yeah sure whatever.gif

Your epic burns would mean a lot more if they weren't coming from the expert of the videogame industry who talks about playerbase numbers as if they are the same as game sales and disparages games (unless they are GT, of course) for having microtransactions without actually knowing if they have them.

Put that W on your belt that you're so desperate for.

Last edited:
Yes because that base of 90 million PS4 is suddenly not going to buy a single game, everyone is going to cancel their PSN subscriptions and PS4 sales are going to 0. Oh and PS5 is not going to sell.
You seem to be forgetting between china and india there is over 2 billion people who may not infact most can not afford consoles or want to . They seem to be more phones and laptop type folks .

What that could mean is google doesnt have to lure any console users to out pace xbox and sony combined.

The big question is latency .if google solves that the race is over .

With those type of huge numbers , only foolish devs would bypass that revenue .

How Much Does Google Make? Since this post was written in 2011, Google's revenues have roughly tripled. In 2014, Google made $65.67B in revenues. In 2015, Google made 74.5B. In 2016, Google made 89.46B. For fiscal year 2017, Google reported revenues of$110.8 Billion.

I would love to see google buy sony and stream everything

IDC reported that shipments of traditional PCs came in at 68.1 million
https://www.zdnet.com/article/pc-sales-stumble-in-q4-amid-cpu-shortages-china-trade-war/

Sony’s PlayStation 4 launched in China on March 20th, 2015 and since then has sold through nearly 1.5 million units in the region.

68 million versus 1.5 million is a blowout . I suspect same type of spread in India .

Last edited:
They're also both working in-house, whereas Sony relies on Amazon or other third-parties for its full network.

Do you also remember Sony's 3D TVs? The Vita? The Minidisc?

Any big company has a history of product missteps. But as the PS4 proves, those above examples didn't dictate the company's future fortunes.

True. I used to be a huge Sega fan. So I have been carefull with my choices in that department. I have only been admiring Sony since the whole hackgate and especially their own stance towards EA and XBOX concerning online gameplay and closing down studios left/right. SCE isnt perfect, but they did earn trust in the way they are approaching console gaming similar to Nintendo.

Personally I just dont think an add company like Google is approaching gaming for the right reasons. I just have this feeling its all about collecting more data for adrevenue etc. Google selling other products and services is just a way of collecting more data.

You seem to be forgetting between china and india there is over 2 billion people who may not infact most can not afford consoles or want to . They seem to be more phones and laptop type folks .

What that could mean is google doesnt have to lure any console users to out pace xbox and sony combined.

With those type of huge numbers , only foolish devs would bypass that revenue .

How Much Does Google Make? Since this post was written in 2011, Google's revenues have roughly tripled. In 2014, Google made $65.67B in revenues. In 2015, Google made 74.5B. In 2016, Google made 89.46B. For fiscal year 2017, Google reported revenues of$110.8 Billion.

Are you sure you want a giant corporation watching and collecting data on your every move? Sony had $ 77 Billion revenue in 2017. I dont see google buying Sony just yet.

Last edited:
Are you sure you want a giant corporation watching and collecting data on your every move?
Why would you worry about this for a home console, but not for things like your cell phone carrier and/or ISP? My every move on my console of choice revolves around watching videos, and, well... gaming. There isn't much more inbetween that. My cell phone and computer though, they have all my dirty secrets.

If you're going to neglect those, than I'm not sure why this would be such an issue. Plus, if they do push into this market, I doubt it get's handled any different whether it be Sony or Microsoft. I really doubt that the others that are already on the market aren't collecting data.

I really doubt that the others that are already on the market aren't collecting data.
It was ultimately buried under the bigger news stories during the fallout of the PSN hack a couple months later (like how seemingly all of the security for personal information was done system side by the PS3), but part of the notes from the people hacking around on PSN with jailbroken PS3s from immediately before the big hack was that the PS3 was doing exactly that even if you never signed into PSN or agreed to it's ToS; to the extent of sending data to Sony that should have been completely irrelevant, like what model television you were using or the ID of any USB devices plugged into the system since the last phone home.

View attachment 809994

Your epic burns would mean a lot more if they weren't coming from the expert of the videogame industry who talks about playerbase numbers as if they are the same as game sales and disparages games (unless they are GT, of course) for having microtransactions without actually knowing if they have them.

Put that W on your belt that you're so desperate for.

As expected you have no actual response once presented with data :lol:
Take that L :)

China and India have had little response to traditional games, even with the most popular platforms: PS2, PS4. PC is already massive in China and mobile as well, so Google ain't going to change anything.

Besides they aren't even launching in China this year.....or Asia for that matter :lol:

Keep dreaming.

:confused:

Are you just saying this to somehow make yourself feel better? Because that's quite a grasp to make against the.. well.. absolutely nothing... that's been said. I'm a bit confused as to who is boggled, or how you even came to that conclusion.

Some people should really get out more. There’s a big beautiful world out there with lots of different things to try and experience.

Back