Gordon Murray to make a true successor to the F1- T50

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 160 comments
Watched a few of the reveal videos with Gordon Murray for this car and I just love this thing, it definitely feels like a step back in time. No exaggerated over-the-top styling and no unnecessary technology. Can't wait to actually hear the V12.

30:22 -- "No touchscreen anywhere; absolutely hate them...it's got everything you need, but it all works off your phone."
48:46 -- "Pushing a switch and not feeling a gear change is pointless to me."

A-🤬-men.

I am so totally on board with a car that I will never own or experience in a way that has not been true since the Carrera GT, and more so the F1 before it.
Yes, and that is why the CGT is timeless to me.

This is far more interesting, Harry Metcalfe basically lets Murray nerd out on everything.

That Gordon Murray knows nothing. It's page 80, not 84.

_20200805_092846.JPG

I was curious about said book, so I went online to check about it...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1852278412/?tag=gtplanet-20

Is there anything related to the F1 that isn't ridiculously expensive?
Limited edition book of 1,000 pieces, iirc.

For double the price, you can get a version with signatures from Murray, Dennis, Ojjeh, & Brown. Includes a chassis plaque inside apparently (people dish out a few hundred bucks for authentic badges alone. :crazy: ).
https://motorsportmemorabilia.com/p...y-of-the-official-inside-story-of-mclaren-f1/

It's much, much better looking than I expected it to be.

Probably not coincidentally, it looks like something that was put together before the collective decision by nearly everyone who makes a car with even the slightest performance credentials that there needed to be ANGRY VENTS on every panel.

Definitely a true sequel to the original, without being at all slavish to the F1.

Absolutely love it and I suspect it will be quicker against today's hyper cars than it's HP figure suggests just from PtW alone.

Watched the Harry's Garage, Top Gear and Carfection videos. Harry's Garage was my favorite because it felt so much more like two blokes having a conversation with one of them waxing on about his latest passion project. Harry decided to let the man himself speak and take the audience to wherever he wanted to go.

The car itself, I'm excited about it. It's very much an engineer's car, and the way Gordon Murray talked and described everything, is so... engineering speak. Lots of neat and clever engineering going on too. Interesting to see hear about the design requirements and key objectives, and what decisions were made to support them. Also glad to hear Gordon talk about how so much of the improvements came about not necessarily from new technologies that one would distinctly point out on the car, but from lessons learned from the F1 and in improvements to basic materials, analysis and production methods.

An edition of Motorsport magazine's podcast features Gordon Murray. It starts out talking about his time in F1, but there's plenty of T50 talk. Recorded pre-Covid-19 so some of the dates are no longer correct. Of particular interest to me is the 5 minutes or so from 47:44 when Murray's asked about the cars he considers milestones of car design, and also speaks of his own personal cars that he drives today, and why.

I've been wondering, cameras as side review mirrors are not (yet) legal in the US. They do intend to sell the T50 here; I wonder how they are planning on getting around it?

I've been wondering, cameras as side review mirrors are not (yet) legal in the US. They do intend to sell the T50 here; I wonder how they are planning on getting around it?

I'm sure they'll find a way. Remember that the F1 itself needed some...uh...improvements to be sold in the USA...

644710295136707142.jpg

Wing mirrors are easy to remove. ;)

Speedtail owners are in a similar boat as the T50 (camera mirrors, middle-seat creating airbag-compliant issues), but will be getting in through the Show & Display bypass. I expect T50 owners to follow that path.

Thought we had a non-mirror discussion in the Honda EV thread. I think there are SUVs in the states without reflective mirrors.

Wing mirrors are easy to remove. ;)

Indeed, and any claim would immediately be denied by insurance as soon as they found out that an owner took wing mirrors off, if they aren't self-insuring at that point.

Speedtail owners are in a similar boat as the T50 (camera mirrors, middle-seat creating airbag-compliant issues), but will be getting in through the Show & Display bypass. I expect T50 owners to follow that path.

Interesting. So is the Speedtail not officially sold in the US then through McLaren dealerships, or they are sold abroad and owners are provided a list of registered importers to effect the Show and Display bypass?

Show and Display also has very specific and stringent rules on when the car can be used. Granted, most owners won't use the cars anyways other than to the occasional show or to some private event, but one of the things that Gordon Murray talked about was his desire for owners to be use the T50. Having it limited by Show and Display in the US seem so antithetical to his desire.

Thought we had a non-mirror discussion in the Honda EV thread. I think there are SUVs in the states without reflective mirrors.

There were a few posts about the Honda EV not having a mirror, but there weren't any conclusive exemptions discussed. Specifically, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards currently stipulates that there be at least a physical exterior driver side rearview mirror, and under circumstances where certain driver side mirror and interior mirror requirements are not met, that there be a physical exterior passenger side rearview mirror as well. No new production vehicle sold in the US right now lack physical outside rear view mirrors.

NHTSA is thinking about amending the rule to allow for cameras, but a decision or rule has not been finalized. Perhaps it will be by the time T50 hits US shores.

Interesting. So is the Speedtail not officially sold in the US then through McLaren dealerships, or they are sold abroad and owners are provided a list of registered importers to effect the Show and Display bypass?

Show and Display also has very specific and stringent rules on when the car can be used. Granted, most owners won't use the cars anyways other than to the occasional show or to some private event, but one of the things that Gordon Murray talked about was his desire for owners to be use the T50. Having it limited by Show and Display in the US seem so antithetical to his desire.
I would imagine given that the car was sold out before it was even unveiled, all sales were done directly through the factory's representative. At best, dealerships probably alerted their clients that they were eligible or picked by the factory to buy one if the factory hadn't already done so. Due to this, owners will have to import and find their own way to bring the cars over, but their dealers will probably assist them in some fashion through mutual contacts.

As for the Show & Display, I think Gordon will have to accept most examples will be like his F1. He said the highest mileage F1 is around 66,000 miles (I believe on Harry's video), which would equal out to under 2,500 miles a year by this point. If the T50 follows the F1, Show & Display restrictions probably won't be any issue.

Indeed, and any claim would immediately be denied by insurance as soon as they found out that an owner took wing mirrors off, if they aren't self-insuring at that point.

There were a few posts about the Honda EV not having a mirror, but there weren't any conclusive exemptions discussed. Specifically, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards currently stipulates that there be at least a physical exterior driver side rearview mirror, and under circumstances where certain driver side mirror and interior mirror requirements are not met, that there be a physical exterior passenger side rearview mirror as well. No new production vehicle sold in the US right now lack physical outside rear view mirrors.

NHTSA is thinking about amending the rule to allow for cameras, but a decision or rule has not been finalized. Perhaps it will be by the time T50 hits US shores.
The Audi SUV. That's what I saw. No doubt, had a look and reflective mirrors are on the states models only.

First impression I thought it looked too much like an MR-S as well :lol: Over the past week it's been growing on me though. I miss the side strakes on the F1 (best part of its design in my humble opinion), but I understand why it's unnecessary on the new car. Also I wish they had gone with quad taillights as an hommage to the old car, but again in the name of weight savings that would never get past Gordon.

I'm a bit disappointed that the fan in Auto Mode only seems to activate during braking though. High DF Mode is what you use on track and the fan is on all the time, but it's only at 50% speed. Though the aero balance is probably too rear biased at 100% speed because it only controls the diffuser's boundary layer and not a true "sucker car" like the Brabham BT46/Chaparral 2J. Hopefully the track version has a much more aggressive underbody/skirts and it can use the fan to generate proper suction instead of just a downforce supplement.

Scroll down to #21-25 for details: https://topgear.com.my/news/27-things-gordon-murray-told-us-about-the-t50

That Gordon Murray knows nothing. It's page 80, not 84.

View attachment 946816

Thanks for this. I've known for a while that the old F1 also has fans but never saw how it actually looks like and how it works. Would love to know what other secrets the book holds :drool:

You know with Murray speaking specifically about the Boxster/Cayman and the Alpine, I really wish he would put his brain & experience to work to create a ~$60k sports car.

Back