Gordon Murray to make a true successor to the F1- T50

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 160 comments
Sounds a bit "trumpet-y" to me. I dunno if that's exactly how it will sound in the car with the full exhaust system and under load, but at this moment I prefer the Valkyrie's V12 sound more.

Definitely one of the greatest sounding road car engines ever though, along with LFA and Carrera GT.

Sounds a bit "trumpet-y" to me. I dunno if that's exactly how it will sound in the car with the full exhaust system and under load, but at this moment I prefer the Valkyrie's V12 sound more.

Definitely one of the greatest sounding road car engines ever though, along with LFA and Carrera GT.

Sounds like those cameras were mounted inside the dyno room while the T50's engine was recorded from the control room. Obviously there will be some muffling to keep the engineers sane lol.

The pipes are longer on the T50 engine and it's designed to be part of a full system in any case.

All exhausts exhibit brassiness without silencing, especially with the smooth undulations arising from merging six pulses perfectly in sequence - that's as opposed to more lumpy waveforms, which will just crackle as the shock fronts can't get out of their own way.

Last edited:
Would love to see a hot shoe like Dario in the T50 in a heads up race with a 720s around goodwood. The 720S is a seriously fast car, so I'm not sure the T50 would be able to keep up, but it would be awesome to watch I think.

720S has advantage in power and quicker gearshifts. T50 has advantage in weight and possibly downforce (I can't find reliable DF figures for 720S). So it might be closer than you think. In fact I'd wager T50 is closer to 765LT laptimes ;)

Would love to see a hot shoe like Dario in the T50 in a heads up race with a 720s around goodwood. The 720S is a seriously fast car, so I'm not sure the T50 would be able to keep up, but it would be awesome to watch I think.
Who cars about the lap times? That's not the point of the car. That wasn't the point of the F1 either. Even discussing it completely misses the point of Murray's vision and the entire concept of road-legal sports cars.

Last edited:
Who cars about the lap times? That's not the point of the car. That wasn't the point of the F1 either. Even discussing it completely misses the point of Murray's vision and the entire concept of road-legal sports cars.
giphy.gif

Sounds almost identical to an F50 with straight pipes. Incredible.

I really appreciate how this is basically a super exotic Cayman. Nearly all of the usability and practicality of a Cayman but with the extreme specialness of the chassis and powertrain.

Last edited:
I want to see a comparison of this vs a Mclaren F1 back to back. The most legendary sports car ever compared to a modern interpretation which may become legendary in itself, both extremely capable and surprisingly usable every day. Two completely different engine philosophies though, the F1 had a big fat torquey engine while the T50 is small, high rpm, and torque filled with technology.

Also the F1 will always be better looking, that's just a fact.

maxresdefault.jpg

The family resemblance is undeniable but the F1 just has better proportions in various ways. Even the thicker tires look more appropriate somehow. I think the T50's tire sidewalls are way too thin for their width.

125812843_10165104851420112_5759035403404660634_n.jpg

Last edited:
Even the thicker tires look more appropriate somehow. I think the T50's tire sidewalls are way too thin for their width.
I actually think this is a problem with like every modern car at the moment. Everyone seems to be obsessed with putting as low profile tires and the widest rims on everything from family hatchbacks to supercars, and I really think most of them would look better if they would just re-introduce a bit of sidewall. Seeing the F1 and the T50 right next to each-other perfectly highlights this. Another really good example is the ND mx5, where the base model has 15 inch rims and the higher end ones have 16 inch rims (at least here in Australia) and to me, the base model looks noticeably better.

I want to see a comparison of this vs a Mclaren F1 back to back. The most legendary sports car ever compared to a modern interpretation which may become legendary in itself, both extremely capable and surprisingly usable every day. Two completely different engine philosophies though, the F1 had a big fat torquey engine while the T50 is small, high rpm, and torque filled with technology.

maxresdefault.jpg

The family resemblance is undeniable but the F1 just has better proportions in various ways. Even the thicker tires look more appropriate somehow. I think the T50's tire sidewalls are way too thin for their width.

I believe the T50 is the true successor. Mclaren P1 and Mclaren Speedtail failed to be the successor of the Mclaren F1.

P1 is not bad I commend Mclaren for making a great hypercar.

But for me the V12 is the first recipe that should be used if you are going to make a Mclaren F1 successor. Gordon Murray knew the essence and nature of the car he created while Mclaren went on a separate path.

Honestly some people dont seem to be a fan of the Fans on the Car but I really like it because it blends well with the Car plus it brings back the spirit of the Brabham Fan F1 car.

Last edited:
I actually think this is a problem with like every modern car at the moment. Everyone seems to be obsessed with putting as low profile tires and the widest rims on everything from family hatchbacks to supercars, and I really think most of them would look better if they would just re-introduce a bit of sidewall. Seeing the F1 and the T50 right next to each-other perfectly highlights this. Another really good example is the ND mx5, where the base model has 15 inch rims and the higher end ones have 16 inch rims (at least here in Australia) and to me, the base model looks noticeably better.
Here in the States the standard ND wheels are 17. It looks fine but it's not what I would do.

One problem that fatter tires does cause is damping issues. The TG video mentioned "secondary ride", that's all the small high frequency vibrations that dampers and bushings try to control. Tires play a huge role in this too because they are springs with high resonant frequencies. If the tires are thinner and stiffer their frequency becomes so high that bushings can absorb it better and effectively eliminate that part of the equation, allowing the dampers and bushings to do their job directly. But fatter tires have a noticable vibration that needs to be targeted.

Also contact patch is easier to control, alignment settings are easier to control, etc. But sometimes it looks terrible.

maxresdefault.jpg

I agree that it looks better but it strikes me that the F1 looks so tiny in comparison.

I agree that it looks better but it strikes me that the F1 looks so tiny in comparison.
I think that's all in the styling. The F1's styling graphics are all a little bit more proportional and it looks like a tightly packaged small sports car which it is. The T50 looks a little bit...looser? The front intakes are lower and smaller, the highlights are massive and really far apart, the wheels are huge with rubberband tires. It's only 3 inches longer and 1 inch wider than the F1.

T.33 > F1 > T.50

One odd thing about the T.50 for me is the wheels. They look so...ordinary. Like wheels you could pick out of the Koenig catalog. The F1 wheels were a little plain too, but they at least didn't look like medium tier aftermarket wheels. The T.33 Spider at least has an OEM-tier design.

As far as tires, I think rubberband tires are a symptom of automotive journalists, who frequently only use cars under ideal circumstances like race tracks, particularly with sports cars, incessantly moaning about bodyroll and small diamtere wheels purely out of aesthetics. So car manufacturers have progressively stiffened the ride on sports cars over the last 3 decades, and with it the sidewalls have shrunk. I just put some 650bx48 real-chonky-bois on my gravel bike, because I love me some suppleness so you know where I stand.

T.33 > F1 > T.50

One odd thing about the T.50 for me is the wheels. They look so...ordinary. Like wheels you could pick out of the Koenig catalog. The F1 wheels were a little plain too, but they at least didn't look like medium tier aftermarket wheels. The T.33 Spider at least has an OEM-tier design.

As far as tires, I think rubberband tires are a symptom of automotive journalists, who frequently only use cars under ideal circumstances like race tracks, particularly with sports cars, incessantly moaning about bodyroll and small diamtere wheels purely out of aesthetics. So car manufacturers have progressively stiffened the ride on sports cars over the last 3 decades, and with it the sidewalls have shrunk. I just put some 650bx48 real-chonky-bois on my gravel bike, because I love me some suppleness so you know where I stand.
Completely unrelated, y’all’s highways out here are no better quality than Ohio. And these drivers struck me as being in less of a hurry and with better lane discipline than Ohio. I just drove from San Fransisco to Monterey. That has nothing to do with the T50.

Back