Got my first car...Chrysler 300M Special! Finally! Picture time!

  • Thread starter Thread starter CDailey
  • 222 comments
  • 10,728 views
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. My friend actually suggested something to me last night which makes a lot of sense. He said that we should use the $1500 my mom is offering as a down payment on a more expensive car, and then make payments on the car. Me and my mom agree that this isn't a horrible idea and are probably going to run with it. I figure that if I raise the budget to $5000 and put $1500 cash down and finance the car for 3 years, my payments would be just north of $100/mo.

So, with that said, I've got a new budget of $5000! Suggest away my internet friends.

Also, I'm still very heavily considering a P71 Crown Vic...almost to the point of not looking at anything else because I've wanted one for so long, but i will still consider all suggestions.
 
I would still suggest a Saturn as I said above. But now you can get one with less miles and in better condition since you have $5,000. :sly:
 
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. My friend actually suggested something to me last night which makes a lot of sense. He said that we should use the $1500 my mom is offering as a down payment on a more expensive car, and then make payments on the car. Me and my mom agree that this isn't a horrible idea and are probably going to run with it. I figure that if I raise the budget to $5000 and put $1500 cash down and finance the car for 3 years, my payments would be just north of $100/mo.

So, with that said, I've got a new budget of $5000! Suggest away my internet friends.

Also, I'm still very heavily considering a P71 Crown Vic...almost to the point of not looking at anything else because I've wanted one for so long, but i will still consider all suggestions.

Well doesn't that make life easy. Get a '87-'95 Mustang GT (5.0L 302) in black, black out the wheels, and make sure she's got a spoiler! And drop it about an inch or so.
 
Find a nice Buick V6.
 
Find a nice Buick V6.

AKA Buick Grand National. 231 CID, horrible gas mileage, darth vader appearance(:dopey:) and FAST.

Sounds fun, doesn't it!?

You can probably net yourself a reasonable 18/23 for mpg if you bolt on a couple things.
 
Well then..

Go for a 1994 or 1995 E class. Newer, more powerful, and they are the "facelift" cars that don't have the infernal US spec lighting. And they're still old enough that most of the typical gremlins would have been dealt with. Gas mileage is decent, and the car rides like a dream.

But a P71 is irresistible...
 
I would love to own a Mercedes, but the only problem with them is that even the simplest of mechanical jobs are through the roof for them. I plan on always taking my car to a shop because I know bugger all about working on engines.
 
I would love to own a Mercedes, but the only problem with them is that even the simplest of mechanical jobs are through the roof for them. I plan on always taking my car to a shop because I know bugger all about working on engines.

But, If you buy your own filters and such, and get regular maintenance done at independent places it's far cheaper. But I do see what you're saying.

One can get an oil filter for 7-14 dollars, and an air filter for 16 on the internet. Parts are expen$ive, but there are ways to make everything cheaper. Independent shops are your friend. I saved about two hundred dollars getting my car passable for Missouri inspection. The dealer quoted me at four hundred and eighty dollars for outer tie rods and an alignment. I got it done at an independent shop for $295

Just don't go to the dealer$hip$. They are a $pecial group of people who will $ati$factorily $olve your problem$.

Then again, I've never taken mine in to the dealer.
 
1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am- $4999: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cB-5000%7cH-%7cN-N%7cR-50%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cX-popular%7cZ-32257&aff=thestate&paId=267718444&recnum=2&leadExists=true

1997 Buick LeSabre Custom- $4999: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cB-5000%7cH-%7cN-N%7cR-50%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cX-popular%7cZ-32257&aff=thestate&paId=267229992&recnum=7&leadExists=true

1996 Cadillac DeVille- $4995: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cB-5000%7cH-%7cN-N%7cR-50%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cX-popular%7cZ-32257&aff=thestate&paId=247272780&recnum=12&leadExists=true

2000 Ford Taurus- $4995: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cB-5000%7cH-%7cN-N%7cR-50%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cX-popular%7cZ-32257&aff=thestate&paId=265300320&recnum=30&leadExists=true

1999 Mazda Protege DX- $4500: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNumber=1&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cB-5000%7cH-%7cN-N%7cR-50%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cX-popular%7cZ-32257&aff=thestate&paId=135758691&recnum=80&leadExists=true

1997 Cadillac Catera- $4450: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNumber=1&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cB-5000%7cH-%7cN-N%7cR-50%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cX-popular%7cZ-32257&aff=thestate&paId=265230410&recnum=82&leadExists=true

1999 Ford Taurus SE- $3983: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNumber=2&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cB-5000%7cH-%7cN-N%7cR-50%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cX-popular%7cZ-32257&aff=thestate&paId=263083350&recnum=120&leadExists=true

1994 Nissan Sentra GXE- $2472: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNumber=3&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cB-5000%7cH-%7cN-N%7cR-50%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cX-popular%7cZ-32257&aff=thestate&paId=260808284&recnum=176&leadExists=true
 
AKA Buick Grand National. 231 CID, horrible gas mileage, darth vader appearance(:dopey:) and FAST.

Sounds fun, doesn't it!?

You can probably net yourself a reasonable 18/23 for mpg if you bolt on a couple things.

But he's not looking for a Mad Tyte speed machine, he just wants a car, so there are plenty of FWD Buick V6s around I assume. Like the Le Sabre in the post above.
 
Lol, wow!
That second one is probably one of the best burnouts ive seen ever,
Supercharger is music to my ears.
 
No... your new mission is getting that mail Jeep.
 
:lol: Did you even look at the condition it was in? Somehow, I don't see that particular Jeep selling well.
 
Bit of an update...the idea of a P71 is pretty much shot down. Almost every example is too expensive unfortuntely.

On the bright side, I've found a Mitsubishi Starion about 100 miles from here for $2500.

What do you guys think?
 
Bit of an update...the idea of a P71 is pretty much shot down. Almost every example is too expensive unfortuntely.

On the bright side, I've found a Mitsubishi Starion about 100 miles from here for $2500.

What do you guys think?
Check it out, looks to be in decent condition. It's also manual, but that only takes a day or so to figure out.

Probably a lot of fun though.👍
 
As a previous P71 owner (the pics are my old car) I can attest that they are infact quite brlliant. They are awsome at everything but gas mileage.



I truely miss my P71, it was defianetly one of my favorite cars I've owned. And as a bonus they can be made very fast with not alot of money.
 
^ Why did you sell it? I love Popo Crown Vics. :trouble:
 
Bit of an update...the idea of a P71 is pretty much shot down. Almost every example is too expensive unfortuntely.

On the bright side, I've found a Mitsubishi Starion about 100 miles from here for $2500.

What do you guys think?

I'd work up from $2000. Interior looks like crap.
 
^ Why did you sell it? I love Popo Crown Vics. :trouble:
  • Unemployed
  • 8-10mpg
  • Gas gauge didn't work--running out of gas repeatedly sucks

I traded it even for my 1998 200SX SE-R--I liked that car but I wish I hadn't got rid of the P71 now that I look back.
 
Found a Volvo S70 that looks pretty nice...what do you guys think of it?


edit: I found a P71 for $2500 and gave the guy a call. He's got about 10 of them for sale! So I will for sure be checking into this. :D
 
you really should narrow it down to a few models, then research the hell out of them.

i wanted the volvo 850/ S70 about 5/6 years ago, cant remember what thier foibles were.

sounds like youre set on the P71 though.
 
what happened to the USPS Jeep? :grumpy:
 
you really should narrow it down to a few models, then research the hell out of them.

sounds like youre set on the P71 though.

That's the thing. I really don't care what I drive as long as it looks good, is reasonably new, and can get me from point A to point B quickly if I so choose. The only car that's really stuck out to me is the P71 because I've got a major thing for (relatively) fast sedans.

And I like the Starion because it's just damn cool.
 
Bit of an update...the idea of a P71 is pretty much shot down. Almost every example is too expensive unfortuntely.

On the bright side, I've found a Mitsubishi Starion about 100 miles from here for $2500.

What do you guys think?

I totally vote yes! I'm sure that car has a lot of potential too and they're rare. I have only seen one or two in the last year or so.
 
Just don't throw a Turbo on it without upgrading the cooling system, first!!! ;)
 
Starions on cool, a guy back in high school had the Chrysler TSi version of it (I want to say Conquest?). Thing was fast and a lot of fun to ride around it. The handling was pretty good on it as well. The one you are looking is pretty good as far as mileage goes as well, I will vote that as well. Although the insurance might be a bit high on it, especially when compared to the Volvo.
 
Bit of an update...the idea of a P71 is pretty much shot down. Almost every example is too expensive unfortuntely.

On the bright side, I've found a Mitsubishi Starion about 100 miles from here for $2500.

What do you guys think?

If you can't get one of those 10 P71's, that is a beautiful car right there
 
Starions on cool, a guy back in high school had the Chrysler TSi version of it (I want to say Conquest?).

Yeah, Conquest.

As far as insurance goes, we were actually quite shocked on how high the insurance on an old Volvo was when looking at one. We figured it was the expense of parts for it. A Starion, I imagine, wouldn't be much better, though.
 
Back