Got my first car...Chrysler 300M Special! Finally! Picture time!

  • Thread starter Thread starter CDailey
  • 222 comments
  • 10,728 views
For $2500, you could easily find a late 80s 5.0L fox body car (Mustang, Thunderbird, Cougar, etc) in good condition. Cheap, good gas mileage, plenty of horsepower, and awesome reliability.
 
For $2500, you could easily find a late 80s 5.0L fox body car (Mustang, Thunderbird, Cougar, etc) in good condition. Cheap, good gas mileage, plenty of horsepower, and awesome reliability.

L.O.L. at that there bolded statement. If you open it up at all you're looking in the 17's for combined.

Besides that, I love the cars. And I'm seriously looking at '94-'95 GT's (Still Foxes)
 
L.O.L. at that there bolded statement. If you open it up at all you're looking in the 17's for combined.

Besides that, I love the cars. And I'm seriously looking at '94-'95 GT's (Still Foxes)

5.0s get great gas mileage. My Tbird gets ~24mpg all day long (hwy and city combined), even with my sometimes heavy footed driving and maybe a couple of track passes. My best mileage was 33mpg on a 280 mile straight highway trip. My 20 year old V8 gets better mileage than plenty of new 4 and 6 cylinders.

Example: On Saturday, I took my Tbird to a track that's 127 miles from my house; about a 2 hour trip. I used about 12 gallons of fuel both ways (probably less than that; im being conservative), including the 3 1/4mile track runs. That's almost 22mpg, even after I put a lower rear end gear in.

Oh, and 94-95 Mustangs are not foxes. They are built on the SN95 platform. However, they are the last 2 years with the 5.0L. 96 on up had the 4.6. 93 was the last year for the Fox platform for the Mustang. Tbirds and Cougars moved to the MN12 platform in '89.

Not tryin to come off as an a-hole, just straightening some things out :) . I really love my Tbird. It drives wonderfully, it's got all the comforts, the ride is silky smooth, and gets lots of power for very little money.
 
5.0s get great gas mileage. My Tbird gets ~24mpg all day long (hwy and city combined), even with my sometimes heavy footed driving and maybe a couple of track passes. My best mileage was 33mpg on a 280 mile straight highway trip. My 20 year old V8 gets better mileage than plenty of new 4 and 6 cylinders.

Example: On Saturday, I took my Tbird to a track that's 127 miles from my house; about a 2 hour trip. I used about 12 gallons of fuel both ways (probably less than that; im being conservative), including the 3 1/4mile track runs. That's almost 22mpg, even after I put a lower rear end gear in.

Oh, and 94-95 Mustangs are not foxes. They are built on the SN95 platform. However, they are the last 2 years with the 5.0L. 96 on up had the 4.6. 93 was the last year for the Fox platform for the Mustang. Tbirds and Cougars moved to the MN12 platform in '89.

Not tryin to come off as an a-hole, just straightening some things out :) . I really love my Tbird. It drives wonderfully, it's got all the comforts, the ride is silky smooth, and gets lots of power for very little money.
Thanks for telling me on the SN95 thing. I wasn't sure when that started, so guessed it was when they dropped to the (modular?) 4.6 V8.

The mpg's are just okay for the mustangs, the T-Birds get better mileage due to different gearing. And I'm gonna tell you right now you didn't use 12 gallons for 127 miles. That comes out to be 10.5 miles per gallon, AKA you put ole' leadfoot back there in the Cherokee SRT-8 to shame:scared:

I love them T-birds too! I've looked at them, but I'm just more a Mustang guy
 
Thanks for telling me on the SN95 thing. I wasn't sure when that started, so guessed it was when they dropped to the (modular?) 4.6 V8.

The mpg's are just okay for the mustangs, the T-Birds get better mileage due to different gearing. And I'm gonna tell you right now you didn't use 12 gallons for 127 miles. That comes out to be 10.5 miles per gallon, AKA you put ole' leadfoot back there in the Cherokee SRT-8 to shame:scared:

I love them T-birds too! I've looked at them, but I'm just more a Mustang guy

127 miles each way, is what I meant. Thats 254 miles round trip. Sorry for the mix up. :crazy:

As far as I know, Tbirds and Stangs came with the same gears; the rear end ratios were probably different since most Tbirds came with 2.73s, like mine. However, I've changed mine to 3.27s, which is what Mustangs normally had. I've heard that Stangs get a little better mileage due to the weight difference; I'm sure theres no big difference though. It's also worthy to note that I got BETTER gas mileage after I put the Mustang H/C/I in. 75 more hp, 45 more ftlbs, and better gas mileage? Sign me up!

The thing I love about my Tbird is that even though it's mechanically identical to the Mustang, it's never viewed as a threat on the street or at the track like the Mustang is. It's got a whole sleeper effect goin, and I love that. That's why I've left my exterior stock lookin.
 
127 miles each way, is what I meant. Thats 254 miles round trip. Sorry for the mix up. :crazy:

As far as I know, Tbirds and Stangs came with the same gears; the rear end ratios were probably different since most Tbirds came with 2.73s, like mine. However, I've changed mine to 3.27s, which is what Mustangs normally had. I've heard that Stangs get a little better mileage due to the weight difference; I'm sure theres no big difference though. It's also worthy to note that I got BETTER gas mileage after I put the Mustang H/C/I in. 75 more hp, 45 more ftlbs, and better gas mileage? Sign me up!

The thing I love about my Tbird is that even though it's mechanically identical to the Mustang, it's never viewed as a threat on the street or at the track like the Mustang is. It's got a whole sleeper effect goin, and I love that. That's why I've left my exterior stock lookin.

With that you're gettin' 21 mpg. The rear end comes out being the Final Drive Ratio, right? I'm sure Mustangs got better fuel economy because of the weight difference and those gears. Getting more power and horsepower? No brainer!

EPA stuff
'88 5.0 T-bird 16/24
'88 5.0 Mustang 15/22

That's interesting...I was wrong. I guess the longer gears do help the stock T-Bird. But with what you've done it looks like you are equaling the Stang, so moot point.

Either way, sweet car! And I'm liking your video. Too bad your rice hunting didn't go as well as you thought :lol:
 
With that you're gettin' 21 mpg. The rear end comes out being the Final Drive Ratio, right? I'm sure Mustangs got better fuel economy because of the weight difference and those gears. Getting more power and horsepower? No brainer!

EPA stuff
'88 5.0 T-bird 16/24
'88 5.0 Mustang 15/22

That's interesting...I was wrong. I guess the longer gears do help the stock T-Bird. But with what you've done it looks like you are equaling the Stang, so moot point.

Either way, sweet car! And I'm liking your video. Too bad your rice hunting didn't go as well as you thought :lol:

Also note that I have the AOD transmission, which has a really nice overdrive. That's a huge mpg saver, and minimizes the mpg decrease due to rear end gear change.

Yep, my first long term goal with the car was to bring it to pretty much Mustang spec and enjoy it for a year or two. Now that's complete, and it's time to move into phase 2 of my long term goal...low 13s hehe.

Haha, glad you like the video. Well keep watching, our patience pays off in the end...and I talk like a 13 year old on helium. :scared: That vid was taken before I had the rear gears changed, so those 2.73s were really bogging it down.
 
Also note that I have the AOD transmission, which has a really nice overdrive. That's a huge mpg saver, and minimizes the mpg decrease due to rear end gear change.

Yep, my first long term goal with the car was to bring it to pretty much Mustang spec and enjoy it for a year or two. Now that's complete, and it's time to move into phase 2 of my long term goal...low 13s hehe.

Haha, glad you like the video. Well keep watching, our patience pays off in the end...and I talk like a 13 year old on helium. :scared:
13 year old on helium? I wouldn't go that far. Maybe a 14 year old:sly:

AOD...Auto Overdrive?

I got a few goals for the Mustang I'll get.

1) Find good, clean, straight, well maintained GT
2) Afford gas
3) Afford insurance
4) Some polished aluminum or chrome american racing Torq-Thrusts
 
So back to the Saab...
 
I was lookin at the window sticker on a Saab the other day...a 2.0L 4cyl rated at 19mpg? How in the world...
 
The Celica I'm looking at, at best, will average about 26 MPG combined. Couldn't be due to the fact that its using a sedan engine in a body that weighs 2800 lbs with the short gearing...
 
Lol, they are talking about the movie Cannonball Run.

Also, Wikipedia says Jackie Chan drove a Subaru.
There was a sequel, where Jackie Chan and Richard Kiel drove a Mitsubishi Starion. In fact, the Starion is on the movie poster.
 
Oh, and 94-95 Mustangs are not foxes. They are built on the SN95 platform. However, they are the last 2 years with the 5.0L. 96 on up had the 4.6. 93 was the last year for the Fox platform for the Mustang. Tbirds and Cougars moved to the MN12 platform in '89.

The SN95 is also called the Fox-4 for a reason. It's still a Fox, just a bit longer and wider and with a few structural differences. Just about everything can be swapped over between the two save the driveshaft and trans crossmember.

In fact, it could be said that the Fox chassis Mustang lived from 1979 through 2004.

Actually, a Mustang or Thunderbird wouldn't be a bad idea, CDailey.

That is... As long as you find one with 2.73 gears and the 3.8L V6. A 3.8 putting at 1500 on the freeway is like having a 1.9 a bit over 3000 (and most cars with an engine that small will be winding a good bit higher than that).

Still a bit heavy to drive in the city and get much better than 20mpg. Well, around here at least, where it's not possible to NOT get stopped twice a mile.
 
If you go with a 3.8, the only way it would be worth the trouble of getting a T-Bird would be to get a Superbird, to be honest. And a 3.8 Mustang would be totally useless.
 
Actually, a Mustang or Thunderbird wouldn't be a bad idea, CDailey.

That is... As long as you find one with 2.73 gears and the 3.8L V6. A 3.8 putting at 1500 on the freeway is like having a 1.9 a bit over 3000 (and most cars with an engine that small will be winding a good bit higher than that).

Still a bit heavy to drive in the city and get much better than 20mpg. Well, around here at least, where it's not possible to NOT get stopped twice a mile.

Why the sluggish 3.8? Those things cant move out of their own way (trust me, I've test driven one...well, the 90s ones might be ok). As I said, my 5.0 gets ~24mpg with mostly city driving, and when i had the 2.73s, i got 33mpg on the highway. Even if he could get a hold of a Turbo Coupe with the 2.3L Turbo, that'd be cool too.

I think Toronado is referring to the Supercoupe version of the MN12 Tbirds with the supercharged V6. Those things are really quick.
 
Yes, the Supercoupes are quick (and I saw a REALLY clean SC Cougar XR-7 that flew)...

But the normal 3.8 will knock down better fuel economy and won't be horridly slow. Next to the 5.0, maybe, but it won't be bad. Certainly no worse than the alternatives.

Another option would be an early-90s Buick LeSabre or Park Avenue (non-supercharged). Since you're in Florida, CD, they're most likely all over in white. In good running order, they'll get 20ish city and 30ish highway, they ride decent, and they're mostly dead-nuts reliable. Might eventually kill the transmission, but the Buick 3800 will just keep going... And going... And going... Like the Energizer Bunny.
 
Or he could just get a Civic as he was talking about in the first post if he really wants fuel economy, because the 2 mpg fuel economy gain the NA Supercoupe gets over the normal car isn't worth the 100 horsepower loss (especially when he looks more or less dead set on a car that averages quite a bit less).

V6 T-Birds and Mustangs simply are not worth it. T-Birds are still nice cars when they are slow, but with that budget one could get a fast one easily, be it Supercharged V6, 5.0L V8 or 4.6L V8. Mustangs with V6s, however, are completely useless, to the point that if it wasn't for high insurance costs one would be better off in every way with a V8.
 
2500 bucks will not get you a nice 5.0 'Stang. A 'Bird might run for a bit under 4k, but a nice 5.0 'Stang is 5 grand or so unless it's a hacked, rotted monster. 4.6 cars are even worse about being pricey. Same goes for the 'Birds.

A Supercoupe is out of the question, unless, AGAIN, it's hacked and rotted and beaten to death with a dead transmission or snapped crank.

Civics aren't worth it. Just no.
 
Someone obviously isn't paying attention. He raised his budget to $5000 as of post #31. I was going by the assumption that it still stood. Furthermore, I find your posts so far to be hilarious, stressing the importance of gas mileage to someone who was looking to buy a P71; but when someone replies that he obviously doesn't care and if he did he might as well get a Civic like he talked about in the first post of the thread (rather than the pig slow American land yachts you repeatedly suggest), it is dismissed as a non-entity.
You can either say he should go for gas mileage, or not. But you can't flip flop just to push what you think he should get. A Civic would be faster, just as reliable, far more fun and no less comfortable than a damned LeSabre, not to mention wouldn't be built like total crap; and anyone who even looks at base model Thunderbirds over an SC or 5.0/4.6 for gas mileage reasons needs to get their head examined. Stop acting as if you are the creator of the thread when you don't even seem to have read most of it. I don't even think he should get a T-Bird, because the only ones worth getting are too powerful for young drivers. But if he is looking at one (or if he is looking at a Mustang, for that matter), there is no reason to bother with base V6 models at all other than insurance when he can easily find some in a $5,000 price range.
 
2500 bucks will not get you a nice 5.0 'Stang. A 'Bird might run for a bit under 4k, but a nice 5.0 'Stang is 5 grand or so unless it's a hacked, rotted monster. 4.6 cars are even worse about being pricey. Same goes for the 'Birds.

A Supercoupe is out of the question, unless, AGAIN, it's hacked and rotted and beaten to death with a dead transmission or snapped crank.

Civics aren't worth it. Just no.

I got my Tbird for $1500. I have less than $3k in the car as she sits now. And it's in great shape..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v173/kingcars/recent Tbird pics/

It's very easy to find a solid 5.0 car for cheap; just have to be a little patient and wait for the right deal to come along. And if he wants to spend 5 grand, that could even get a pristine Turbo Coupe Tbird (not to be confused with a Supercoupe).

Oh, and a stock 5.0 Tbird isn't too powerful for a young driver at 155hp/265ftlb. Not only that, but if he wants more power down the road, it's cheap and easy to bring it up to a High Output 5.0 or further. And if he's a responsible driver, even a stock High Output 5.0 won't be too much. I personally find it to be the perfect combination of fun to drive, horsepower, and gas mileage. In fact, my 20 year old V8 still gets better gas mileage than many of today's 4 and 6 cylinders. I've seen window stickers on Saabs with 2.0L 4cylinder rated at 19-24mpg...
 
If you do look at mustangs, here's some info on costs and what not

V6's get 1 or 2 mpg more than the V8.
For a 16 year old with one not at fault accident, the difference is 10 dollars ($190 VS $200) on completely basic insurance
 
I can vouch for the 90's Saturn SL2. The twin cam version is a car with reasonable performance for the class. However, may I suggest the SC2 coupe version instead? It is a good competitor to the Civic non-VTEC coupe and is good on gas. It should also fall into your budget nicely. I also think the car looks nicer than a Civic.
 
If you're thinking Thunderbirds please for the love of god stay away from the 3.8L V6. Its trash, I had one and I've known other people who have had them and we all agree that it is junk. Slow, not economical, unrealiable (blown headgaskets anyone?), and most of all its not a Turbo Coupe or V8 model. Its like buying an XBOX360 and only playing the downloadable games. At least when you buy an Fbody or Mustang V6 its not "slow". the Tbird weighs more than the earth so acceleration in NA 3.8L trim is 10s to 60mph. Which is an eternity.

A $5,000 budget gets you some really nice cars.

Might I suggest this:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=5009&cardist=10

Nissan reliability+looks+comfort+sport, decent mpg, decent power (VG30DE), and most importantly RWD. They are pretty nice cars for the money.
 
...However, may I suggest the SC2 coupe version instead?... I also think the car looks nicer than a Civic.

Certainly! The problem is though, the interiors are absolutely hideous, and they seem to be hard to find without being completely thrashed on occasion. The later SC2s are very good-looking cars if you ask me, a damn shame that the Ion followed it and destroyed everything that was good with the S-series cars.
 
JCE
If you're thinking Thunderbirds please for the love of god stay away from the 3.8L V6. Its trash, I had one and I've known other people who have had them and we all agree that it is junk. Slow, not economical, unrealiable (blown headgaskets anyone?), and most of all its not a Turbo Coupe or V8 model. Its like buying an XBOX360 and only playing the downloadable games. At least when you buy an Fbody or Mustang V6 its not "slow". the Tbird weighs more than the earth so acceleration in NA 3.8L trim is 10s to 60mph. Which is an eternity.

A $5,000 budget gets you some really nice cars.

Might I suggest this:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=5009&cardist=10

Nissan reliability+looks+comfort+sport, decent mpg, decent power (VG30DE), and most importantly RWD. They are pretty nice cars for the money.


Waay out of the budget. We decided not to get a loan and just pay $2500 cash, so thats the very most I can spend.

The selection of cars around here is crap. I went through 14 pages of cars and only found 3 that I like. :indiff:


1996 Nissan Altima

1994 Ford Probe GT

1996 Eclipse RS


edit: Since I found this guy here in town selling P71's, I am for sure getting one if they are in good shape. All other cars are backup plans so to speak.
 
Avoid the Eclipse like the plague. What zipcode are you in? I'll help you look.
 
Why avoid the Eclipse? Prone to problems? Remember, I don't want an all out fast car. Just something to get me from A to B quick if I want.

My zip is 32043. I've been searching with a 100 mile radius.
 
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=62

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=98

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=96

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=100

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=29

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=100

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=93

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=79

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=32

HOLY ****!!!!
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=92

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=100

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=93

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=80

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=39

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=92

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=19

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=75

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=87

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=12

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=89

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=87

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=92

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=17

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=41

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=100

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=2509&cardist=26
 
JCE

No...just...no. Too old, crap interior. I don't want a project car.

Already posted that in this thread. It's in the thread title too. ;)

Again, no.


See above.


I considered it, but I don't want to have to do anything to the car after I buy it.


No picture, not even gonna look.


Also considered it, but again, too old and the interior is going to suck.



Also considered it. I have a sneaking suspision that the P71 would be faster.


No pic and no description. Not gonna look.



I already posted that and it's also in the thread title ;)



I also considered it, but its slow and heavy. ;)



I would love to, but if it ever breaks, it's gonna cost waaay too much to repair unfortunately.


Not feeling that Mustang. :indiff: I looked at a 92 GT too, but it had some body damage so that was a nono.


Again, I would love a Mustang, but the only convertible I will ever drive is a 64 Impala.


Not a fan of that body style.


Horrible interior ;)...:D



Am I spotting a trend here?


Runs but needs some work? No Thanks. I don't want a project car remember?


I love the interiors of most pontiacs, but the only Firebird I will drive will have a V8. I think you of all people would agree with me. :D


See above.



Not bad but honestly I'm not feeling it. :indiff:


Hadn't noticed that before. Interesting and I'll check it out. I think I could let the interior slide on that one. ;)


I'm surprised at how nice that interior looks for a 21 year old car. Premium car = premium insurance and cost a premium to repair. :indiff:


I've only ever seen maybe 3 of those on the road, and I HATE those windows.


Do you see that front bumper and the condition of the hood? :yuck: I wouldn't trust the person driving that.



I told you the selection around here sucks. Thanks for looking though.:)
 
Back