GPS Course Creator: If/When Released, will it Generate More Interest in GT6, or is it too late?

Do you feel the GPS Course Creator will spark new/revived interest in GT6?

• Total voters
United States
Detroit
Razgriz2118
If the mods or community deems this thread unnecessary, feel free to merge/lock/delete it. I just wanted to get a feel for what others think about a question I've been thinking about, which is: If/When the GPS Course Creator is released (B-Spec as well), do you think interest in GT6 will rise again and more favorable opinions of the game will be formed? Or do you think that it will be too late to affect interest/opinion on the game? Please keep the discussion civil, I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything; my very first video game was Gran Turismo 3 and I love the series to death, but now its position in the current market is debatable as well as its future, and I want to know what others think about this critical and often-cited feature of the game in relation to extending/renewing GT6's and the series' lifespan and interest from the public.

Me personally, I think it will be a cool feature, but my interest in GT6 has dropped due to the game itself and my opinions of it and the fact that I am much busier now in life. I play it very infrequently only to take photos nowadays; the lighting and car models still amaze me, especially how they can be compared to next-gen game graphics in some respects.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that the GPS feature for the course creator is supposed to come in a separate update and is NOT part of the standard course creator feature. This is clearly stated on the GT website.

I personally am looking forward to both of them, but am not expecting them to come packaged together. As far as the game, I still play it almost daily. League racing on the weekends gives me a nice racing fix, and during the week jumping into a car or two and running some laps is a nice refresher after a days work.

I can't imagine that the course maker feature would cause anyone new to purchase this game, as just about anyone who would consider buying GT6 probably has it by now. As for interest among the current owners? It would definitely increase, as a full course maker would add an infinite number of racing possibilities.

People's opinion on PD probably wouldn't be affected too much, though. Even if it's an absolutely flawless, in-depth, quick loading, browser accessible, glitch-free creator with full community support released five minutes from now, several people will still be upset that they had to wait well over a year for it to show up. I wouldn't blame them at all. People seem to have solidified their opinions of PD, so it would take something truly amazing to produce a widespread change of opinion.

Definitely looking forward to the GPS side of it. Will make many interesting tracks if done right, and it'll allow me to have an in-depth understanding of a road close by that I'm looking forward to driving on. :D

I'd like to think it would. I told a couple of my friends about it and they were all kinds of stoked for it and they told me they'd start playing it once it got in. That's just me though.

I hope it comes out soon, I got 3 mountain roads that are all amazing to drive, and I can't think of a better way to lap a fun road like those in a fun car like my 8-6~ :D

People seem to have solidified their opinions of PD, so it would take something truly amazing to produce a widespread change of opinion.
GT7.

And for the rest of us that still enjoy GT6, we'll just continue on enjoying it while we wait for the course creator which I am sure will be awesome and worth the wait.

It'll stir interest among the fanbase but I don't think there will be a significant sales spike. My guess is that many people who didn't buy this game have moved on to the PS4 or PC sims or just don't think it's different enough from GT5 to care and a solid Course Maker won't likely change that. If it's tiptop those still playing will get a lot of use out of it and right now that's probably the best they can hope for. GT7 is where it will shine IMO.

Way too late... almost obvious its a ploy to try and compete with PCars release... however...

It could also be a game changer... depending on how detailed it is.

Given PD's resistance to giving players creative freedom though, I doubt it will be.

People's opinion on PD probably wouldn't be affected too much, though. Even if it's an absolutely flawless, in-depth, quick loading, browser accessible, glitch-free creator with full community support released five minutes from now, several people will still be upset that they had to wait well over a year for it to show up.

Rightly so, really.

The recent video is yet more evidence that the feature was incredibly close to inclusion for release, close enough that they were willing to spent money making an ad spot for it. Then it was pulled for whatever reason, and here we are 14 months later.

However awesome it is, Course Maker isn't going to change the perception of GT6. It's way too late for that.

It may create a small sales spike, but I doubt it. I'd be surprised if Sony spends much money advertising the feature when it comes. The game is already in the bargain bin. They could sell another million copies, but it's not going to make them much money.

It'll be nice to play when it comes, but GT6 will and should be remembered for how it fumbled the ball in many ways with respect to post-release support.

I personally am looking forward to both of them, but am not expecting them to come packaged together. As far as the game, I still play it almost daily.

Same here. Despite the repeated Disconnects, the Mario Kart rac..er Quick Races (minus a few races, where I found 2 people who actually race like they know what they are doing), the funky weather physics and even despite having all (well, many) of the latest and older PC sims, I still play it.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't, it all depends on how well detailed the Course Maker is and how much freedom it gives to the players. If it's not any different other than having a "GPS" feature adding alongside it, I doubt it'll gain many players interests to playing GT6 again (except for those who still play the game, but how long until he or she saids "I'm bored" after using it a few days?) Knowing PD, I feel this feature is not going to be any good, since their focus on the fans has been minimum lately (don't quote me). Also, if PD plans on releasing it around pCARS's release, they shouldn't. Especially if the Course Maker, as I said before, lacks to give players the freedom they need to create tracks (maybe the GPS feature may do it justice, but that's for the app).

For me, it's pretty much too late.

If it's not any different other than having a "GPS" feature adding alongside it, I doubt it'll gain many players interests to playing GT6 again (except for those who still play the game, but how long until he or she saids "I'm bored" after using it a few days?) Knowing PD, I feel this feature is not going to be any good...

The last course maker wasn't all that great but some truly great tracks could be made with it if you really sat down and put some effort into making them. It sometimes took me hours to be completely happy with one, but it was worth it in the end. There were so many combinations of tracks to be made, this kept me entertained all the way up to GT6 release. If you get bored with it quick, it's just not for you. That goes with the whole game as well.

And I highly doubt PD is going to copy/paste it from GT5, and anyone thinking so is forgetting how long it's taken them to get it to us. If that were the case, we would have it already. NEW things take time to make, test, fix, test, fix, test, fix, etc, etc, etc. I have confidence that PD will get it to us shortly and it will be amazing. Some people around here forget why they are here in the first place, because they loved GT. Now they spend their time here as keyboard warriors telling others how they think one of the most successful companies in the history of video games should do their job, knowing absolutely zero about what goes on in the PD offices on a daily basis.

LOL... All those that have "moved on" would be back in a flash if a GPS course creator came out. That feature would absolutely be a game changer though that doesn't mean sales would rebound.

And I highly doubt PD is going to copy/paste it from GT5, and anyone thinking so is forgetting how long it's taken them to get it to us. If that were the case, we would have it already.

Or you can think about it the other way: it's taken so long and that there's a real chance that they can't get it working properly at all. In which case they need something to fulfill their truth-in-advertising obligations, so they fling out the GT5 version. Or some horribly cut down version of the GT6 one.

I seem to remember them having two leaderboards in GT5 at a time, simply so that they could say they had leaderboards. The same could happen here.

Some people around here forget why they are here in the first place, because they loved GT.

Some people around here forget that loving GT doesn't necessarily mean loving GT6, or Polyphony's latest trend of over-promising and under-delivering.

LOL... All those that have "moved on" would be back in a flash if a GPS course creator came out. That feature would absolutely be a game changer though that doesn't mean sales would rebound.

I'll be downloading it the moment it comes out. Whether it gets me back into playing the game or not entirely depends on the quality of the feature.

Again, you can look at it two ways. Either it's taken this long because they're making sure that it's awesome, or it's taken this long because they can't make it work and so we get a cut-down version of whatever they can manage. We won't know until it comes out.

Some people around here forget that loving GT doesn't necessarily mean loving GT6, or Polyphony's latest trend of over-promising and under-delivering.
And some people incorrectly think that PD is the only company in the world that does this these days. News flash, they're not.

I feel the GT6 community would rise, however I feel like we wouldn't get more new members to the GT franchise. If you look here on GTplanet, many people have made it clear that they haven't played the game in a while.

At this point it seems unlikely that its release will induce more sales. I myself am actually starting to get the impression that the course maker was just a marketing tool for GT6 and that we won't see it until GT7.

And some people incorrectly think that PD is the only company in the world that does this these days. News flash, they're not.

I never believed or claimed that they were. I'm well aware that they're not, as the owner of several games where similar things have happened.

I'm just as critical of other companies who do so. For example, Rockstar and their online bollocks in GTA V and the ongoing saga of heists.

Just because lots of people do it, doesn't make it right. If that's not the excuse that you were trying to make for Polyphony, then please explain what you meant to say.

Over-promising and under-delivering shouldn't be a thing, and isn't acceptable from anyone.

I think it could still work with this feature update, course maker, more abilities for customizing your car etc etc.

The biggest fail in my opinion is the lack of free & paid dlc. That's how you keep your game 'fresh' with every month (how many times we heard that promice?) Dlc packs and events in the game. With those free & paid dlc they also see what's popular and what not.
They've been beta testing the course maker for over a year. We could aspect something really amazing. I think Sierra is created by this course maker and afterall it is a good track.

Best thing they can do, for new and excisting tracks (including the course maker tracks), make them all able for day/night time shifts !

That really depends solely on it being a good workable course creator and not just a randomized string like GT5's was.

I agree , the GT5 version wasn't a real course creator, you couldn't set a straight lenght with check points (i.e. drag strips) or a specific number of bends, chicanes, jumps, altimetric variations!
We were onlty allowed to do what PD wants (randomly) , no what we really desired !

IR

It's far too late. Even if it did come with the next update, it likely wouldn't give us much more freedom than the track maker in GT5.

I got a very basic cell phone :( no GPS function........

I imagine it wouldn't be too long after the app comes out that someone figures out how to spoof the GPS function. If they can do it for Ingress, they can do it for a PD app.

It may end up being possible to emulate a phone on the PC, run the app, and then spoof the GPS coordinates to make the track you want. It could be very difficult, but if you really wanted to do it without upgrading your phone it might be possible.

People's opinion on PD probably wouldn't be affected too much, though. Even if it's an absolutely flawless, in-depth, quick loading, browser accessible, glitch-free creator with full community support released five minutes from now, several people will still be upset that they had to wait well over a year for it to show up. I wouldn't blame them at all. People seem to have solidified their opinions of PD, so it would take something truly amazing to produce a widespread change of opinion.

Definitely, I don't blame them either. I feel like regardless of what is released for GT6, PD is going to have to make GT7 absolutely spectacular to win their image back and the trust of everyone, otherwise it might be getting close to the end of the road for the franchise due to the competition and lack of feedback/support. I really, really, really hope I'm wrong though about that, the series deserves better.

I hope it comes out soon, I got 3 mountain roads that are all amazing to drive, and I can't think of a better way to lap a fun road like those in a fun car like my 8-6~ :D

Same, there are a lot of roads near my house that I want to log that I've always wanted to drive flat out on in real life. As a bonus, my family used to have a 2005 Honda Accord Coupe like in the game (2003 and 2005 are pretty much identical, just different wheels), I would love to be able to drive it like a race car on familiar roads.

However awesome it is, Course Maker isn't going to change the perception of GT6. It's way too late for that.

I agree, it'll be an amazing feature, but it won't remedy all of the usual complaints/demands, both reasonable and unreasonable, that can be found on the forums.

At this point it seems unlikely that its release will induce more sales. I myself am actually starting to get the impression that the course maker was just a marketing tool for GT6 and that we won't see it until GT7.

I never thought of it like that before but the gap between announcement and now... it's quite a long time. Even if it was meant for GT6 I hope it doesn't get pushed back to GT7 since they said it would be on GT6.

The biggest fail in my opinion is the lack of free & paid dlc. That's how you keep your game 'fresh' with every month (how many times we heard that promice?) Dlc packs and events in the game. With those free & paid dlc they also see what's popular and what not.

Honestly, I've always been a little irked by constant DLC. While it can keep a game fresh with up-to-date content, it can get to the point where it makes it seem like the game is incomplete or the developers are just looking for cash grabs, in my opinion. The first Forza Horizon game I thought was a good example because of the cars from Forza 4 that were not originally included but then added as paid DLC later. Furthermore, when Ace Combat Assault Horizon was about to be released, Project Aces released a DLC trailer for the game of content that looked pretty much ready for game launch, like 2 months before the game actually launched. And the price for said DLC was around $15USD. And then you have things like the season passes for Forza, CoD, etc...

I agree with most of what all of you have said, I don't think it will create many/any new GT6 players if/when the GPS course creator comes out, but I think it may draw some people who have already put the game down back in, if only for a short while. But also, I feel that it's far too late, many people have moved on; I for one play Assetto Corsa with my G27 when I want a driving experience.

Back