GPU Settings

Johnnypenso

Well known double poster
Premium
Canada
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Johnnypenso
I would welcome any and all information anyone has on NVidia Inspector and NVidia Control panel settings for Project Cars. Being a PC noob and not really having a clue what most of the settings do, along with being inundated with contradictory information when searching online, has made this a bit of a minefield for me so far. I have a good setup, i7 4790 + GTX970 and would really like to get the most out of it with Project Cars. Some of the settings in AC you only find out about through trial and error and endless forum searches and even then you'll still find a post by someone swearing on a solution, followed by someone immediately after saying, "dont' do that or your computer will blow up":indiff:. Needless to say that part of it has been frustrating.

First, is there a standard group of generally accepted settings for the game as agreed upon by SMS and the community?
Second, are there some settings that must be on or off for the game to function properly? For example, in AC, Maximum Frame Latency by default is 0 but apparently that leads to input lag and so the proper settings is actually 1.
Third, can someone post screens of their settings or link to or display all the details for us?

I realize that everyone has a different setup so I'm not looking for what cards can do certain levels of anti-aliasing or what levels of anisotropic filtering etc. More along the lines of should we let the game do the anti-aliasing or can we benefit from using the AA in Inspector/Control Panel if our card is powerful enough? What are the settings for texture filtering, pre-rendered frames, triple buffering etc?

I would really, really like to avoid weeks of tweaking and experimenting to get things just right so any help would be appreciated and I'm sure others will benefit as well.

Of course, any info relating to AMD cards would also be welcome.

Last edited:
I have a GTX 980, but an "old" i7-860 processor. Right now I run 2 x 1920 x 1200 monitors as well as a 1280 x 1024 auxiliary monitor. Wouldn't be able to do surround gaming; if I had a third 1920 x 1200 monitor, then most likely I would need a dual GPU setup, and almost certainly I would rather build a new one from scratch (Skylake or Haswell-E?) if I ever want to have a dual GPU setup. I'm more inclined to play at 1920 x 1200.

I have a good setup, i7 4790 + GTX970 and would really like to get the most out of it with Project Cars.
Do you have the K version of the i7? I have it ordered for my rig and was told it is the unlocked(overclock) version. Have the 970 ordered as well.

@Johnnypenso:

Not sure I'm allowed to show those screens yet to be honest, but let me reassure you that you will be able to go all out at 1080p. 👍 As far as I can tell there are no game-breaking settings. :lol:

If sharing is ok, then I can post my settings, but will have to verify that...

Do you have the K version of the i7? I have it ordered for my rig and was told it is the unlocked(overclock) version. Have the 970 ordered as well.
I have the K but it so far exceeds the performance of my single 970 there's no need to overclock it at this point.

@Johnnypenso:

Not sure I'm allowed to show those screens yet to be honest, but let me reassure you that you will be able to go all out at 1080p. 👍 As far as I can tell there are no game-breaking settings. :lol:

If sharing is ok, then I can post my settings, but will have to verify that...
If you can post the screens that would be great:tup: I can't see how your GPU settings would be top secret, but I don't know the secret handshake so what do I know?:lol:

I would welcome any and all information anyone has on NVidia Inspector and NVidia Control panel settings for Project Cars. Being a PC noob and not really having a clue what most of the settings do, along with being inundated with contradictory information when searching online, has made this a bit of a minefield for me so far. I have a good setup, i7 4790 + GTX970 and would really like to get the most out of it with Project Cars. Some of the settings in AC you only find out about through trial and error and endless forum searches and even then you'll still find a post by someone swearing on a solution, followed by someone immediately after saying, "dont' do that or your computer will blow up":indiff:. Needless to say that part of it has been frustrating.

First, is there a standard group of generally accepted settings for the game as agreed upon by SMS and the community?
Second, are there some settings that must be on or off for the game to function properly? For example, in AC, Maximum Frame Latency by default is 0 but apparently that leads to input lag and so the proper settings is actually 1.
Third, can someone post screens of their settings or link to or display all the details for us?

I realize that everyone has a different setup so I'm not looking for what cards can do certain levels of anti-aliasing or what levels of anisotropic filtering etc. More along the lines of should we let the game do the anti-aliasing or can we benefit from using the AA in Inspector/Control Panel if our card is powerful enough? What are the settings for texture filtering, pre-rendered frames, triple buffering etc?

I would really, really like to avoid weeks of tweaking and experimenting to get things just right so any help would be appreciated and I'm sure others will benefit as well.

Of course, any info relating to AMD cards would also be welcome.
I would say use in-game stuff without worry. I have 780ti and I use all in-game settings and it works fine. The biggest performance hitter is AA level. If you are ok with just MSAA and SMAA then you probably can get 60 or more under 99% of conditions. If you crank it up to DS2X like I do, you will have to live with lower than 60 fps at the start of the race in rainy conditions. But will get better as soon as cars spread out a bit.

Okay, here are the two tabs with visual settings (the third one doesn't contain useful info unless you use VR or want to enable the SDK/API). The second one posted twice because one option didn't fit my screen. ;) The selected options are the ones I normally run with.

Visuals1.jpg

Visuals2.jpg

Visuals3.jpg

I stick with the defaults, but I'm sure there are others who don't. E.g nVidia DSR is a great replacement for using DS2X AA. Getting late here, but I'll add a list of possible values to the options to make it more clear what they do.

.......................For example, in AC, Maximum Frame Latency by default is 0 but apparently that leads to input lag and so the proper settings is actually 1.

Ummmm, ok, this is the first I've heard of this......just tried it and for the first time and I think my CPU is finally firing on all cores......................:lol:

As promised, here's the list of possible values.

Visual FX:

Post-Processing Filters: On/Off
Lens Flare: On/Off
Sun Flare - Exterior: None/Full/Subtle/Minimal/Chroma
Sun Flare - Interior: None/Full/Subtle/Minimal/Chroma
Bloom: On/Off
Heat Haze: On/Off
Global Specular Irradiance: On/Off
Exposure Compensation: 0.1 - 2.00
Rain Drops: On/Off (rain drops hitting the camera, not the rain drops in game)
Vignette: On/Off
Crepuscular Rays: On/Off
Screen Dirt: On/Off

Performance:

Resolution: self explanatory
Windowed: On/Off (note: custom resolutions/custom aspect ratios are locked to windowed mode)
Texture resolution: Low/Medium/High
Texture Filtering: Trilinear/Anosotropic 2x-16x
V-Sync: Yes/No
Anti-Aliasing: Off/High/MSAA/DS2M/DS2X/DS4X/DS6X/DS9X
FXAA: Off/Low/Medium/High
SMAA: Off/Low/Medium/High/Ultra
Reflections: Low/Medium/High/Ultra
Environment Map: Low/Medium/High/Ultra
Car Detail: Low/Medium/High/Ultra
Track Detail: Low/Medium/High/Ultra
Shadow Detail: Off/Low/Medium/High/Ultra
Motion Blur: Off/Low/Medium/High
Render Frames Ahead: 1-4
Detailed Grass: Off/Low/Medium/High/Ultra
Particle Level: Off/Low/Medium/High
Particle Density: Low/Medium/High/Ultra
Stretched Headlight Reflections: Yes/No

Anyone have their NVidia Inspector or Control Panel settings? Are there any recommendations from SMS about those settings?

Anyone have their NVidia Inspector or Control Panel settings? Are there any recommendations from SMS about those settings?
I think you should wait for that, drivers come almost every month, if PCars its a successful game i bet they will introduce some optimizations for this game in future drivers, and you can even maxed out more settings.

I think you should wait for that, drivers come almost every month, if PCars its a successful game i bet they will introduce some optimizations for this game in future drivers, and you can even maxed out more settings.
I'm not worried about maxing out settings. I just want to know what the optimum settings are for smooth, low latency, low input lag gameplay. I'll be honest and say I don't know what most of the settings do and I'd rather SMS tell me what the optimal settings are than find out through months of trial and error. Like in this sample from Inspector:

upload_2015-3-3_0-11-5.png

Even if they tell you now, in a month or two it could be useless if nVidia come with an optimized driver for PCars, even know from the release notes they are still optimizing the game, and if "today" it's not recommended to apply one setting, tomorrow maybe it's ok, cause the optimizations they still do.
And if you don't know how to use it keep it simple, use only in game settings, messing with nvidia and game CP sometimes it's a real problem, cause you are forcing twice the same settings.

Even if they tell you now, in a month or two it could be useless if nVidia come with an optimized driver for PCars, even know from the release notes they are still optimizing the game, and if "today" it's not recommended to apply one setting, tomorrow maybe it's ok, cause the optimizations they still do.
And if you don't know how to use it keep it simple, use only in game settings, messing with nvidia and game CP sometimes it's a real problem, cause you are forcing twice the same settings.
The game releases this month, I highly doubt many, if any settings will change in that time. If there is a driver update, hopefully we can get a recommendation for changes to the settings at that time, if any.

Is there an ingame triple screen adjustment tool for angle etc? As in similar to Assetto Corsa?
Not yet ingame, it is on the list for the day one patch.

Though it's worth to note that you can change FOV independently for each camera (bumper, hood, in-car, passenger, helment, roof) at this point in time already, as well as a variety of other options (shake, speed sensitivity, DOF, etc.). Will post the screens for the camera options later today. 👍

Another thing I particularly like about the PC version is that graphical settings are stored in their own XML-file. This means you can bypass some of the limitations of the game (e.g. forcing a resolution to go fullscreen in stead of windowed), selecting custom resolutions, etc. by just modifying the file. It also makes it very easy to create and copy different setups. E.g. maybe sometimes you run the game on your monitor, sometimes on your VR headset or maybe you prefer maxxed-out settings for photomode, but lower settings for online racing, etc. etc.

I rarely bother with out-of-game settings at all. The only options I find useful are custom resolutions and DSR.

The game releases this month, I highly doubt many, if any settings will change in that time. If there is a driver update, hopefully we can get a recommendation for changes to the settings at that time, if any.

Well, we just got a fix for broken FXAA and a lot of SLI optimisations. So there definitely are still lots of optimisations going on.

Well, we just got a fix for broken FXAA and a lot of SLI optimisations. So there definitely are still lots of optimisations going on.
Ok. So I can expect some advice on Inspector and Control Panel settings with the release then?

As promised, here are the camera options. Values shown are the defaults.
2015-03-03_00001.jpg

All cameras are adjustable from 35-120. Personally, I use less FOV on the helmet and cockpit cams (which I use most of the time).

Field Of View Speed Sensitivity: Yes/No
Minimum Speed Sensitivity: 75-125
Maximum Speed Sensitivity: 75-175
Minimum Speed Sensitive Speed (Metric): 0-100
Maximum Speed Sensitive Speed (Metric): 100-300

Next up are the movement settings. Again, shown values are defaults, except Helmet DoF, this is on by default.

2015-03-03_00002.jpg

High Speed Shake: On/Off
World Movement: 0-100
G-Force Effect: 0-100
Show Helmet: Yes/No
Helmet Depth of Field: Yes/No
Helmet Look to Apex: 0-100
Helmet Leaning: 0-100
Camera Leaning: 0-100

Last edited:
I have a vision of launch day. I will be busy driving on PS4 Project Cars, lapping up (if you'll pardon the pun) the advanced realistic graphics, sounds, AI, FFB, career, etc. and poor old Johnny will be busy with his "nerfed" GTX970 working out whether the MRSA should be controlled by the game, graphics card or mapped to a switch on his third ipad and unable to work out whether to twiddle his A.R.S.E. or his E.L.B.O.W. ;)

Actually with the few days delay until you get it in North America you'll have plenty of time to read about settings from the rest of the world.

Sorry @Johnnypenso but let us console users convince ourselves we've got the upper hand just for 5 minutes :)

PS I realise you're trying to avoid all of that. I'm sure default will good enough for most things. I'll bet you end up fiddling loads with the settings given time. It's unavoidable, it is your destiny. (I know I would)

Last edited:
I have a vision of launch day. I will be busy driving on PS4 Project Cars, lapping up (if you'll pardon the pun) the advanced realistic graphics, sounds, AI, FFB, career, etc. and poor old Johnny will be busy with his "nerfed" GTX970 working out whether the MRSA should be controlled by the game, graphics card or mapped to a switch on his third ipad and unable to work out whether to twiddle his A.R.S.E. or his E.L.B.O.W. ;)

Actually with the few days delay until you get it in North America you'll have plenty of time to read about settings from the rest of the world.

Sorry @Johnnypenso but let us console users convince ourselves we've got the upper hand just for 5 minutes :)

PS I realise you're trying to avoid all of that. I'm sure default will good enough for most things. I'll bet you end up fiddling loads with the settings given time. It's unavoidable, it is your destiny. (I know I would)
Its worth it on pc though i've spent hours fiddling with my game setting to get more better fidelity and fps out of my low end pc.
However it rewarding once its done. my next dilemma is one gtx 980 or two 970s for a new build.

Its worth it on pc though i've spent hours fiddling with my game setting to get more better fidelity and fps out of my low end pc.
However it rewarding once its done. my next dilemma is one gtx 980 or two 970s for a new build.
One card is always better than two at this level mate. At least in my experience. Should be cheaper on the wallet too.

If you want to increase gaming performance, also take a look at game boosters like this:
http://www.razerzone.com/gb-en/cortex/game-booster
It essentially turns all processes that are not needed off. You can do this yourself if you know what those processes are, but this is a quick fix. It's also free. A friend came across this the other day and got 120fps on medium settings out of RaceRoom when before he was just about getting 50-60fps on the same level.

One card is always better than two at this level mate. At least in my experience. Should be cheaper on the wallet too.

If you want to increase gaming performance, also take a look at game boosters like this:
It essentially turns all processes that are not needed off. You can do this yourself if you know what those processes are, but this is a quick fix. It's also free. A friend came across this the other day and got 120fps on medium settings out of RaceRoom when before he was just about getting 50-60fps on the same level.
cheers i have a look at that

:ouch: :cheers:

Not exactly a stellar review but might be useful for someone that is a pc noob:

http://www.howtogeek.com/171734/benchmarked-will-a-game-booster-improve-your-pc-gaming-performance/

Back