Gr.3 Dream Car Championship

Denmark
Upside-down in the final corner
rallymorten
Gr.3 Dream Car Championship

20171127210220.jpg

Based on one of the most iconic GT series, a celebration of asking a question few other "serious" racing games do:
What would this car look like in a full GT3 competition kit?

Q: When will this series take place?
A: As of right now, the plans are to hold the events sometime throughout February/March.
Gran Turismos tradition for doing its own thing goes back to the very first game. Although Polyphony Digital did get some real world race cars in the first game, these varied wildly in terms of performance and thus could not fill a series grid on their own without duplicates. The team also noticed many manufacturers were not represented. Thus, the LM Edition vehicles were born.

The idea behind LM Edition vehicles were simple:

"What would happen if this manufacturer was to race at the 24 Hours of Le Mans?"
"Which one of their road models would they base the racing version on?"
"What would the final car look like, and, more importantly, how would it drive?"

This spawned some of the most unique racing vehicles in racing games. From the Mitsubishi GTO LM Edition and TVR Cerbera LM Edition to the Honda Del Sol LM Edition, the LM Edition not only filled out the grids in various series, but became incredibly popular with fans the world over.

It was inevitable, however, that with manufacturer interest in the Gran Turismo franchise growing, that these fantasy cars would be relegated to their own niches and soon left behind. Polyphony, however, wasn't having any of this, and already in Gran Turismo 3, as they introduced the next generation of fictional vehicles, they created a championship specifically for these vehicles - the Dream Car Championship.

Now, time has come to Gran Turismo Sport, and with it, what one could argue is the fourth generation of original race cars. With the GT League update coming any day, it is entirely possible that these cars too will see a dedicated racing series.

But even then, it's always something different when you're racing against other people..
- Participants in this series are expected to uphold usual sporting standards.

- Races will be timed to one hour in length
- Before each race, there will be a 15 minute qualifying session done in the old-fashioned way (unless PD implements proper qualifying before/during this series)
- Tyres will be limited to Racing Hard, Racing Medium and Racing Soft
- Racing Hard tyres must be used for at least one "out" lap, a "flying" lap and an "in" lap
- The first lap can count as the required "out" lap and the final lap can count as the "in" lap
- Tyre and fuel usage will both be set to x1.
Should there, beyond all odds, be more than enough interest in this series, a pre-qualifying/class system will be worked out.
Round 1: Kyoto Driving Park - Full
Race day: N/A
20171211175847.jpg
Track length: 6,846 m
Lap record: N/A
Last season race distance: N/A
Previous winners: N/A

Round 2: Tokyo Expressway - East Inner Loop
20171211175837.jpg
Track length: 7,192 m

Round 3: Alsace - Village II
20171211175805.jpg
Track length: 5,423

Round 4: Lake Maggiore - GP
20171211175828.jpg
Track length: 5,809 m

Round 5: Dragon Trail - Seaside
20171211175816.jpg
Track length: 5,209 m
**this section will be further prettyfied**

Alfa Romeo 4C Gr.3
Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr.3
Citroën GT by Citroën Race Car (Gr.3)
Ford Mustang Gr.3
Hyundai Genesis Gr.3
Jaguar F-Type Gr.3
Mazda Atenza Gr.3
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition Gr.3
Peugeot RCZ Gr.3
Peugeot VGT Gr.3
Subaru WRX Gr.3
Toyota FT-1 VGT Gr.3
Volkswagen Beetle Gr.3
Volkswagen GTI VGT Gr.3

Last edited:
So this has been a resounding success thus far.

I guess I am going to tag the other peoples from Dragon Trail.

@Akashi96
@TNR_KING_FILO
@Earth
@AndreasR
@AudiMan2011
@DKfoto
@BGT2011
@damonc84
@DougyMim
@WxJJ
@Michelin Man

Now, if this doesn't tickle your particular fancy, that's fine - this *is* just an interest check, with all that entails, I do have a few backup ideas in mind and plans are still very much to have another enduro in February. For now, though, anyone who made it to the event and anyone I can remember talking about "next time" have been made aware of this, and then we'll take it from there.

I'm interested! GMT+1, as long as I can go to bed before midnight, it's okay. I am available every day except from Tuesdays and sometimes Thursdays

Yea I'd definitely be interested in this, have been since a similar idea was suggested back when we did the Mid-Field 2Hours. Hopefully I have a better chance of making this unlike the Dragon Tail 300km :lol:.

Seems like a basic GT3 championship with a more limited car list, thats why Im thinking its struggling for numbers. Not enough differentiating it from the other GT championships on here.

1 hour of racing sounds a bit long for just 1 pit stop. Should be at least 2 imo. Tire wear speed should be sorted so taking tires or not taking tires are both options.

Tire wear in GT still isnt evenly matched, so medium tires beat hard tires everyday. Because of this I suggest making it mandatory to use both compounds at least once during the race. This adds more strategy. If the race has 2 pitstops, then maybe 3 tire compounds could be in play, soft, medium, and hard, and the drivers have to use all 3 at least once. So someone can start on the hard compound, run the medium tire for the 2nd stint, and go for the softs for the last stiint

I’d be interested, based in the UK later in the evenings would be better for me.

I agree with @Earth though, maybe one stop in an hour race isn’t enough?

See, this is more along the lines of what I was waiting for while I still had it marked as an Interest Check - now we've got some suggestions and discussion going on.

While I don't generally intend on making too many changes in terms of available cars and track used (well, not much more than is necessary for a somewhat balanced series. In terms of tracks, there is also the joker that is the December update, if that comes with some "fan-favorites-from-previous-GTs" goodies of *that* kind), but there is a point about the pit stops that I may not have thought completely through when I first did that section.

So here's an alternative suggestion:

- Both fuel usage and tyre wear will be back to x1
- Both Hard, Medium and Soft tyres will be available
- Hard tyres must be used for at least one "out" lap, a flying lap and an "in" lap.
- The first lap counts as an out lap and the final lap counts as an in lap

In theory, with just a little bit of fuel management, you should manage about 30-40 minutes on fuel in most cases, so unless you're going for an all-fuel saving strategy, you will need to pit.

Similar with the tyres. You can go for spending as little time as possible on the Hards, but, combined with how long the fuel should last you, that is going to cost you one extra stop, or you can save the extra stop and go the entire distance on one set of Hards. I doubt that's a plausible strategy given how much slower the Hards tend to be and how fast changing tyres is, but it's something to consider if you're not getting any extra speed from softer tyres.

How's that sound?

That would have to be done the manual way by means of checking through the replay, but if that's what it takes..

..and in case the next answer is "but the replay isn't always right"; no, but if my replay says someone hasn't used Hard tyres as necessary, I will attempt to contact said someone and remind them of the very-handy-indeed sharing functionality within GTS. I think you can see where I'm going with this. If their replay tells a different story.. well, it's their replay, and if any replay can provide a reliable status of their car, it's their replay.

That would have to be done the manual way by means of checking through the replay, but if that's what it takes..

..and in case the next answer is "but the replay isn't always right"; no, but if my replay says someone hasn't used Hard tyres as necessary, I will attempt to contact said someone and remind them of the very-handy-indeed sharing functionality within GTS. I think you can see where I'm going with this. If their replay tells a different story.. well, it's their replay, and if any replay can provide a reliable status of their car, it's their replay.

Sounds like a lot of extra work for not much return. Might be easier to just force say, hard tyres, but give them more degradation so that strategy can still play a part?

Since it doesn't look like anyone has any issues with that, I've changed the OP accordingly.

That leaves only the tiny matter of timing it. Obviously I'd want to go for a day in the weekends for reasons of EU/US sweet spot, though I realise those are already quite busy and full of things/series people are more likely to spend their time on.

So here's what I'm going to do: unless anything else can be worked out, I am going to put it on a week day. That *will* cut most, if not everyone, outside of Europe out of this, but if that's what has to be done..

Initial plans were to run this in January/February. I *might* have to push it back to February/March for various reasons, but I'm going to make it happen.
I'm not sending this to the same skip where most of what I did on PS3 ended up. Not if I can help it.

So *something* has changed today.

Kyoto - Yamagiwa will be replaced with what I'm just going to refer to as the Kyoto - Full layout and may have its place in the order shuffled a bit.

Depending on what happens in this thread over the next few days, I am going to put this on the back-burner for now - there's something else I'd like to do with the new Kyoto layout, and it may slightly involve the traditional GT way of greeting new tracks welcome. You know what I mean.

Just got GTS today and am interested in this series.

Will most likely use the Citroen GT Race Car

Having now given this a "few days", given the general level of activity I'm seeing (and I will take my part of the blame for not responding to @damonc84, though, as with everything else I do - if it isn't NSFW in some way, it's fine), I am rescheduling this to February/March and see what this looks like by then. Hopefully not a ghost town.

That does leave space for something in the first few weeks of 2018 - probably around late January-early February..

Having now given this a "few days", given the general level of activity I'm seeing (and I will take my part of the blame for not responding to @damonc84, though, as with everything else I do - if it isn't NSFW in some way, it's fine), I am rescheduling this to February/March and see what this looks like by then. Hopefully not a ghost town.

That does leave space for something in the first few weeks of 2018 - probably around late January-early February..

Copy, was more curious if you has some specific decals or number plate you wanted us to run for the series.

See, this is more along the lines of what I was waiting for while I still had it marked as an Interest Check - now we've got some suggestions and discussion going on.

While I don't generally intend on making too many changes in terms of available cars and track used (well, not much more than is necessary for a somewhat balanced series. In terms of tracks, there is also the joker that is the December update, if that comes with some "fan-favorites-from-previous-GTs" goodies of *that* kind), but there is a point about the pit stops that I may not have thought completely through when I first did that section.

So here's an alternative suggestion:

- Both fuel usage and tyre wear will be back to x1
- Both Hard, Medium and Soft tyres will be available
- Hard tyres must be used for at least one "out" lap, a flying lap and an "in" lap.
- The first lap counts as an out lap and the final lap counts as an in lap

In theory, with just a little bit of fuel management, you should manage about 30-40 minutes on fuel in most cases, so unless you're going for an all-fuel saving strategy, you will need to pit.

Similar with the tyres. You can go for spending as little time as possible on the Hards, but, combined with how long the fuel should last you, that is going to cost you one extra stop, or you can save the extra stop and go the entire distance on one set of Hards. I doubt that's a plausible strategy given how much slower the Hards tend to be and how fast changing tyres is, but it's something to consider if you're not getting any extra speed from softer tyres.

How's that sound?
Wot are the times and dates for the race.

The whole point of the thread in its current state is that anybody even vaguely interested can let me know which days and times would work best for them and we'd work it out from there. Of course, that only works if enough people take part in this process, otherwise I might as well executive order something from the start.

Projected start is still somewhere around February/March.

As for signing up.. it shouldn't be that hard to miss.

Back