GR3

• Thread starter mad_llama
  • 54 comments
Canada
Canada
I just came on here to say that I have played GT since it first came out and I used to think it was the best racing game ever, I raved about it to my 16yr old son and told him how great it was.
But having just got our new PS5 and all so excited to play GT7 with the awesome visual graphics only to be absolutely devastated by how bad the game is.
Rolling starts is an absolute joke, no opportunity to play your friends on the couch with your car of choice, and to top it off the GR3 races are horrendously terrible in the fact that you have to bash your way to the front only to have your car act in a manner to surprise you when you’re not expecting it because god forbid that it remains consistent.
Sorry guys but you have failed miserably at this game and really need to fix it.
I can’t begin to tell you how very saddened and angry I am at the developers of this game right now.
Apologies for the rant, but I had to get it out.

the GR3 races are horrendously terrible in the fact that you have to bash your way to the front only to have your car act in a manner to surprise you when you’re not expecting it because god forbid that it remains consistent
You don't need to "bash your way to the front" - and I very much hope you're not referring to online races with Gr.3 cars there - and perhaps if you're doing so you're picking up car damage that cause the outcome you're seeing.
Sorry guys but you have failed miserably at this game and really need to fix it.
Well... we didn't, no. We don't make it. We're an independent site with no official links to Sony, PlayStation, or Polyphony Digital at all.

You don't need to "bash your way to the front" - and I very much hope you're not referring to online races with Gr.3 cars there - and perhaps if you're doing so you're picking up car damage that cause the outcome you're seeing.

Well... we didn't, no. We don't make it. We're an independent site with no official links to Sony, PlayStation, or Polyphony Digital at all.
No I’m not referring to the online races, I’m referring to the campaign ones.
I have played the Suzuka race for hours, copied tunes by other people gracious enough to try and help and the AI of the opponents is horrendous, it’s an absolute joke and very disappointing. On the easiest level it should be easy to win, you should be able to race using your skills not having to worry about random AI crap. I know I can’t be the only one that feels this way.

Context would be nice.
not sure what kind of context I can give you?
I just tried doing the GT Cup GR3 race at Suzuka, I have used about 6 different cars trying to win, spent about 2 million on cars and tunes.
Doesn’t matter what I do, I have to bash my way to the front and if I’m lucky enough to catch the leader he still manages to blow past me at the end even though my car was faster at some point so not sure how that happens?, or he does a nice pit maneuver on me, or I suddenly lose all traction on a corner I never had trouble with before. It’s not my imagination, it’s the game.
Like I said I am very saddened by it, I loved GT but it seems it is lacking in a lot of areas.

Tire wear?
shouldn’t be, running hard tires and they show no wear, if mine lose grip then the others should too, but they stick to the corners just fine

not sure what kind of context I can give you?
I just tried doing the GT Cup GR3 race at Suzuka, I have used about 6 different cars trying to win, spent about 2 million on cars and tunes.
Doesn’t matter what I do, I have to bash my way to the front and if I’m lucky enough to catch the leader he still manages to blow past me at the end even though my car was faster at some point so not sure how that happens?, or he does a nice pit maneuver on me, or I suddenly lose all traction on a corner I never had trouble with before. It’s not my imagination, it’s the game.
Like I said I am very saddened by it, I loved GT but it seems it is lacking in a lot of areas.
I just looked and that race has a x8 tire wear multiplier. So, yeah. Your tires are worn at the end of the race. I don't remember that race particularly but I know I didn't have to "bash" my way to the front of any of these races and nothing about this race sticks out in my mind about being particularly tough. And I'm strictly a mediocre player.

Honestly, I'd take some time working through the circuit experiences and licensing test to get used to the physics and handling of the game. Is it perfect? Far from it but it's also far from horrendous. Yes, you're right the AI sucks but it doesn't "cheat," as your implying. The physics are actually improved over the previous titles that I've played. It's more difficult and less arcadey.

You can always detune a Gr2 car if you're having difficulty. You can also turn the difficulty down in the settings if you set it to hard.

Did you have trouble with the Porsche Cup? Most folks would say that those races were more difficult than the final GR3 championship.

I just looked and that race has a x8 tire wear multiplier. So, yeah. Your tires are worn at the end of the race. I don't remember that race particularly but I know I didn't have to "bash" my way to the front of any of these races and nothing about this race sticks out in my mind about being particularly tough. And I'm strictly a mediocre player.

Honestly, I'd take some time working through the circuit experiences and licensing test to get used to the physics and handling of the game. Is it perfect? Far from it but it's also far from horrendous. Yes, you're right the AI sucks but it doesn't "cheat," as your implying. The physics are actually improved over the previous titles that I've played. It's more difficult and less arcadey.
It’s only a 5 lap race, if my hard tires are wearing enough to lose traction then the AI cars should be losing it as well, but they don’t seem to slip at all and if they have medium tires on then they shouldn’t be as fast as it’s capped at 730pp.
I have done all the licenses, haven’t got gold in all the A class or the Super but pretty close to it, think I have the silly cone one to get gold in still.
I’m mediocre as well but I have the setting on easy even though I would prefer to set it on medium, but on easy the GR3 races are far from “easy” matter of fact they are frustrating enough that I don’t want to play the game, and I don’t think it is my skills because if that were the case I would feel that way in every other race too. It’s only in the GR3 races I have found this to be frustrating and unplayable. I get in the Tommy’s Supra GR2 car or the Formula 1 car and I drive it like it’s on a rail, so I know it’s not me.
I know how this must sound but like I’ve said it upsets me because I really like most of what this game brings, I just think they can fix some things.

You can always detune a Gr2 car if you're having difficulty. You can also turn the difficulty down in the settings if you set it to hard.

Did you have trouble with the Porsche Cup? Most folks would say that those races were more difficult than the final GR3 championship.
I don’t think you can detune a GR2 car as this race has to be a GR3 car to enter so my GR2 car doesn’t even show up.
The Porsche Cup I struggled at Nurburgring but only because that track is crazy hard lol the other ones no problems getting first place in. :)

Tommy’s Supra GR2 car
The Tom's Supra is a Gr.3 car.

If that drives perfectly for you, try that in this race. And yes, 8x tyre wear will explain the issue you're having with late-race handling, especially if you're using soft tyres; they'd be 40 laps old by the end of a 5-lap race. Hard tyres are unnecessary and pointless as they just have no grip - try the mediums.

I’m mediocre as well but I have the setting on easy even though I would prefer to set it on medium
Try setting it to Hard. For some reason no-one's ever been able to come up with an explanation for, the AI can be faster in Easy than they are in Hard.

The Tom's Supra is a Gr.3 car.

If that drives perfectly for you, try that in this race. And yes, 8x tyre wear will explain the issue you're having with late-race handling, especially if you're using soft tyres; they'd be 40 laps old by the end of a 5-lap race. Hard tyres are unnecessary and pointless as they just have no grip - try the mediums.

Try setting it to Hard. For some reason no-one's ever been able to come up with an explanation for, the AI can be faster in Easy than they are in Hard.
Thanks for the replies, I will try again tomorrow, too frustrated tonight.
I will check on the car and try out the hard setting see if that helps.
If I can post a video here I will with my race so you can see it, but you guys gotta promise not to rip me up too badly ;)

It’s only a 5 lap race, if my hard tires are wearing enough to lose traction then the AI cars should be losing it as well, but they don’t seem to slip at all and if they have medium tires on then they shouldn’t be as fast as it’s capped at 730pp.
I have done all the licenses, haven’t got gold in all the A class or the Super but pretty close to it, think I have the silly cone one to get gold in still.
I’m mediocre as well but I have the setting on easy even though I would prefer to set it on medium, but on easy the GR3 races are far from “easy” matter of fact they are frustrating enough that I don’t want to play the game, and I don’t think it is my skills because if that were the case I would feel that way in every other race too. It’s only in the GR3 races I have found this to be frustrating and unplayable. I get in the Tommy’s Supra GR2 car or the Formula 1 car and I drive it like it’s on a rail, so I know it’s not me.
I know how this must sound but like I’ve said it upsets me because I really like most of what this game brings, I just think they can fix some things.

I don’t think you can detune a GR2 car as this race has to be a GR3 car to enter so my GR2 car doesn’t even show up.
The Porsche Cup I struggled at Nurburgring but only because that track is crazy hard lol the other ones no problems getting first place in. :)
These are the GR3 chili races, sorry I thought you were talking about the last championship that has GR3 cars in it. Did you try the newest Subaru BRZ? It's typically the fastest GR3 for me. Those races can be tough, especially the Daytona one (at least for me). It honestly sounds like you just need to practice more. Have you done the circuit experience for the tracks in question? Golding those should help tremendously, as you will have to learn the proper racing lines and breaking points.

These are the GR3 chili races, sorry I thought you were talking about the last championship that has GR3 cars in it. Did you try the newest Subaru BRZ? It's typically the fastest GR3 for me. Those races can be tough, especially the Daytona one (at least for me). It honestly sounds like you just need to practice more. Have you done the circuit experience for the tracks in question? Golding those should help tremendously, as you will have to learn the proper racing lines and breaking points.
No worries I should’ve clarified better, I thought I had researched which car to buy when I bought the Peugeot but then I bought the Porsche, then the Corvette, then the Toyota, Nissan and Audi, lmao. I spent over 2 million trying different cars and looking up tunes for them, nothing seemed to help. And money is hard to come by in this game so I didn’t want to buy any more cars ;)

Most races in the game I can get gold/first place if not on the first try usually within 3 attempts. I honestly think my driving is not too shabby, I’m no pro but I think I can hold my own. The Daytona one was tough, took me quite a few tries but I managed to get first place, that’s why I moved to the Asia circuit and figured I would get them out of the way, but nope….. lol

For some reason no-one's ever been able to come up with an explanation for, the AI can be faster in Easy than they are in Hard.
Simple - the difficulty applies to how easy or hard it will be for the AI to beat us.

Easy doesn't mean it's easy for us to beat the AI, it means it's easy for the AI to beat us. Similarly hard means that it is hard for the AI to beat us!

If you're referring to the Gr.3 Chilli races then use something like the Mazda Vision GT Gr.3, the Tom's Supra is horribly slow when given BOP, honestly it's pretty slow in general atleast in my experience. I could only beat the races by using the Mazda VGT.

Last edited:
It’s not

Git Gud? ;)

Joking of course mate. Yes some of the chilli races are tougher. I kept getting pit maneuvered on that on the Maggiore race the other day, on the final bend. Got there in the end. I used Praino tuned z4.

Circuit Experiences and practice are your friend in these circumstances.

The AI is fairly poor in all but a few of the single player races and even then they aren't actually better just faster but beatable in all game modes and difficulties with practice.

Stop for a moment…

As you mentioned, it’s the Gr,3 Suzuka event and is only 5 laps…

I just replayed it again so here’s My Two Cents, hopefully can clarify something’s and be helpful

IMPORTANT INFO
  • As you noticed only Gr.3 here, no others are accepted
  • Stop buying More cars, it’s not limited to only certain cars that can win.
  • Double check it’s on “easy” Difficulty
  • Check your “assist settings” for what is turned on
  • Tire wear is NOT going to be an issue in this race
  • Make sure you’re using Fuel Map 1, for most power
  • There is Zero Mechanical Damage in this event, so touching other cars does not hurt/deteriorate your own
  • Nitrous IS ALLOWED in this event, you will have better luck relying on this than continuously buying more cars Plus it’s significantly cheaper
  • Try the suggestions & Tips before purchasing and equipping this, may not be necessary but if unable can’t beat it any other way the Nitrous will help a lot
  • If you haven’t already done so, familiarize yourself with trail braking and the proper way to enter and exit turns. Too much speed and trying to brake/accelerate through an entire turn will mess things up.

1. Most of the race will be done in the low gears (1-3), it’s more important to stay on the track than get to a high speed. Remember to downshift to stay in the most effective gear. Be careful of throttle control when car is not straight. You can upshift briefly if unable to manage torque or to stop spinning tires. Also use downshifts to help your cars get around turns if your a little too wide. It’s best to break earlier though than try to fix an entrance speed too fast.
2. Keep the pace of other cars through the twists, bends and corners, don’t try to go fast and pass alot of cars at once
3. On the straights, use the slip stream of cars in front as much as possible
4. If you decide to use Nitrous, only do so on the straights
5. Use TCS in the parts of the track with lots of bend if you are slipping alot
6. You don’t need to get in first place right away, slower time “on” the track is faster than going faster and slipping off.
7. There is enough time for mistakes going off track a bit with plenty of opportunity to win. However try to avoid bad crashes that spin you around.

After the first Bend, you should have passed two cars by around 00:17 (10th to 8th place)
From 00:17 - 00:40 stay back and fourth between 2nd & 3rd gears, passing into 7th place around 00:30-00:35)
After 00:40 can go up to 4th gear. Between that and 00:50-00:55 you should have dropped down to 1st gear for right hand turn before the straightaway that leads to the hairpin. Get up to top of 3rd or bottom of 4th gear in the straight away and back down to 1st for the hairpin. There’s an opportunity to sneak into 5th place by the apex but not absolutely necessary (1:05-1:08)

After the hairpin, around (1:10) get back on throttle up to 5th gear. Off the gas and brake before the 100 board (1:22-1:24), dropping to 2nd gear and staying around 50-55mph. Keep the turn gently and dont try to pass. After the apex get back on throttle for the big straightaway. If you decided to get and equip Nitrous, use it here to get ahead even faster. However, finishing lap still in 5th place is fine. Even if your bumped back in position once in a while is fine.

Continue the other high speed straight after the finishing lap 1. On lap 2, by the first turn cars in positions 4-1st are pretty close together. Rinse and repeat until you get to 1st place. Once in 1st just drive safe and don’t give the opportunity to pass. The leader may stay close on you tail, its fine if he gets ahead once in a while but try to prevent in on the final lap if possible

Last edited:
GT does have some weird inconsistencies with its physics. Being a day 1 1998 veteran of the game, and A+/S I have felt the cars having some sort of weird grip loss from time to time.

When you can set fast and consistent times you notice this more than a lower ranked player who probably doesn't have the nuance to feel it.

Hard to explain but when you can set consistent times to the tenth of a second, and on one lap you'll see a car in front of you go wide or go off, you seem to come to the same corner and experience some weird 'oil spill' type physics.

It's almost like the car in front has dropped oil, or gravel, on their way off the circuit. Maybe many haven't experienced this, maybe some have. But I've been experiencing this for years with maybe the last 3 GT games.

I'm wondering if this is modelled in the game. But the game doesn't put out a flag to warn you and you have to fight to keep control of the car or spin.

It's definitely not going off in sympathy, it's... Something else....

//X files music 🎵🎶//

Last edited:
GT does have some weird inconsistencies with its physics. Being a day 1 1998 veteran of the game, and A+/S I have felt the cars having some sort of weird grip loss from time to time.

When you can set fast and consistent times you notice this more than a lower ranked player who probably doesn't have the nuance to feel it.

Hard to explain but when you can set consistent times to the tenth of a second, and on one lap you'll see a car in front of you go wide or go off, you seem to come to the same corner and experience some weird 'oil spill' type physics.

It's almost like the car in front has dropped oil, or gravel, on their way off the circuit. Maybe many haven't experienced this, maybe some have. But I've been experiencing this for years with maybe the last 3 GT games.

I'm wondering if this is modelled in the game. But the game doesn't put out a flag to warn you and you have to fight to keep control of the car or spin.

//X files music 🎵🎶//
Could be the air maybe? We know dirty air is a tad too er.. impactful, in GT7 - it might make sense that the air changing up as a car goes off line infront of you throws you off as well, with it slightly changing how the car brakes and turns.

B80
Git Gud? ;)

Joking of course mate. Yes some of the chilli races are tougher. I kept getting pit maneuvered on that on the Maggiore race the other day, on the final bend. Got there in the end. I used Praino tuned z4.
Haha, thanks not sure if one of the many cars I bought was the z4 I will have a look, I’ve tried Praino tune on the Supra, I couldn’t get it the same, not sure if the tune is out of date or something in the game has been nerfed? I will keep at it and I know eventually I will get it, it’s just frustrating that on the “easy” level you encounter this. Like I’ve said I’m hardcore GT fan and I wanted my son to love it like I do, but when he comes across this he just quits and I understand that. They need to make the game better than what it is imo.

//X files music 🎵🎶//
yup exactly this, I know it’s not purely a skill issue, if it were I would be man enough to admit it my pride isn’t that strong lol

Stop for a moment…

As you mentioned, it’s the Gr,3 Suzuka event and is only 5 laps…

I just replayed it again so here’s My Two Cents, hopefully can clarify something’s and be helpful

IMPORTANT INFO
  • As you noticed only Gr.3 here, no others are accepted
  • Stop buying More cars, it’s not limited to only certain cars that can win.
  • Double check it’s on “easy” Difficulty
  • Check your “assist settings” for what is turned on
  • Tire wear is NOT going to be an issue in this race
  • Make sure you’re using Fuel Map 1, for most power
  • There is Zero Mechanical Damage in this event, so touching other cars does not hurt/deteriorate your own
  • Nitrous IS ALLOWED in this event, you will have better luck relying on this than continuously buying more cars Plus it’s significantly cheaper
  • Try the suggestions & Tips before purchasing and equipping this, may not be necessary but if unable can’t beat it any other way the Nitrous will help a lot
  • If you haven’t already done so, familiarize yourself with trail braking and the proper way to enter and exit turns. Too much speed and trying to brake/accelerate through an entire turn will mess things up.

1. Most of the race will be done in the low gears (1-3), it’s more important to stay on the track than get to a high speed. Remember to downshift to stay in the most effective gear. Be careful of throttle control when car is not straight. You can upshift briefly if unable to manage torque or to stop spinning tires. Also use downshifts to help your cars get around turns if your a little too wide. It’s best to break earlier though than try to fix an entrance speed too fast.
2. Keep the pace of other cars through the twists, bends and corners, don’t try to go fast and pass alot of cars at once
3. On the straights, use the slip stream of cars in front as much as possible
4. If you decide to use Nitrous, only do so on the straights
5. Use TCS in the parts of the track with lots of bend if you are slipping alot
6. You don’t need to get in first place right away, slower time “on” the track is faster than going faster and slipping off.
7. There is enough time for mistakes going off track a bit with plenty of opportunity to win. However try to avoid bad crashes that spin you around.

After the first Bend, you should have passed two cars by around 00:17 (10th to 8th place)
From 00:17 - 00:40 stay back and fourth between 2nd & 3rd gears, passing into 7th place around 00:30-00:35)
After 00:40 can go up to 4th gear. Between that and 00:50-00:55 you should have dropped down to 1st gear for right hand turn before the straightaway that leads to the hairpin. Get up to top of 3rd or bottom of 4th gear in the straight away and back down to 1st for the hairpin. There’s an opportunity to sneak into 5th place by the apex but not absolutely necessary (1:05-1:08)

After the hairpin, around (1:10) get back on throttle up to 5th gear. Off the gas and brake before the 100 board (1:22-1:24), dropping to 2nd gear and staying around 50-55mph. Keep the turn gently and dont try to pass. After the apex get back on throttle for the big straightaway. If you decided to get and equip Nitrous, use it here to get ahead even faster. However, finishing lap still in 5th place is fine. Even if your bumped back in position once in a while is fine.

Continue the other high speed straight after the finishing lap 1. On lap 2, by the first turn cars in positions 4-1st are pretty close together. Rinse and repeat until you get to 1st place. Once in 1st just drive safe and don’t give the opportunity to pass. The leader may stay close on you tail, its fine if he gets ahead once in a while but try to prevent in on the final lap if possible
Thank you, I will keep at it, really appreciate your and everyone’s advice. I will check the fuel map, that’s something I’m not used to

Thank you, I will keep at it, really appreciate your and everyone’s advice. I will check the fuel map, that’s something I’m not used to
The fuel map will probably be in 1 if you haven’t touched it.

One last thing, regarding the TCS.

Since there’s no need to watch your fuel or monitor other things, I would keep the TCS displayed. Doing this will allow you to up the TCS value if necessary for turns if you need it but then be able to turn it back down when you dont, particularly on the straights because it negatively impact your acceleration significantly

The fuel map will probably be in 1 if you haven’t touched it.

One last thing, regarding the TCS.

Since there’s no need to watch your fuel or monitor other things, I would keep the TCS displayed. Doing this will allow you to up the TCS value if necessary for turns if you need it but then be able to turn it back down when you dont, particularly on the straights because it negatively impact your acceleration significantly
thanks, seems as though tuning is huge now, it’s unfortunate for those of us that just want to race without complications, and for someone like myself who tunes unknowingly and then has no clue what the original setup was because I failed to save the stock setup 😳🫣
right now I’m playing around in a custom race trying to set the car up best I can, looks like it may take quite a while to figure out best gear ratios ☹️

I just want to sit on my couch and race against the circuit as well as race against my kid, easy mode should be for just that, no adjustments needed other than maybe changing tires adding a muffler etc, shouldn’t have to get into the gearing of a tranny at this stage of the game imo

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, seems as though tuning is huge now, it’s unfortunate for those of us that just want to race without complications, and for someone like myself who tunes unknowingly and then has no clue what the original setup was because I failed to save the stock setup 😳🫣
right now I’m playing around in a custom race trying to set the car up best I can, looks like it may take quite a while to figure out best gear ratios ☹️

I just want to sit on my couch and race against the circuit as well as race against my kid, easy mode should be for just that, no adjustments needed other than maybe changing tires adding a muffler etc, shouldn’t have to get into the gearing of a tranny at this stage of the game imo
If you add a new settings sheet in the car setup menu (top of the screen) then the new sheet will be default settings.

The events are more than winnable in a stock GT3 car though. I wouldn't expect you'd need to dabble with that personally.

Tuning isn't huge in the GR single player races and they can be won with the stock cars, some are easier than others (GTR, Porsche, BRZ etc)

You have to appreciate that for good or bad GT7 plays differently to previous games.

I'd also experiment getting used to no TC or TC1 if your on controller and turning of ASM and Counter Steer assist as they mask being aggressive with the car.

Re run the races you enjoy and just focus on getting faster at them and definitely do the licences and circuit experiences if you want to learn to maximise your performance.

As for getting back to stock settings just add a new settings sheet like so:

17C5E61C-F292-4491-879A-1FDA627EBDFA.jpeg

that will give you the stock setup the car had originally.

Tuning isn't huge in the GR single player races and they can be won with the stock cars, some are easier than others (GTR, Porsche, BRZ etc)

You have to appreciate that for good or bad GT7 plays differently to previous games.

I'd also experiment getting used to no TC or TC1 if your on controller and turning of ASM and Counter Steer assist as they mask being aggressive with the car.

Re run the races you enjoy and just focus on getting faster at them and definitely do the licences and circuit experiences if you want to learn to maximise your performance.

As for getting back to stock settings just add a new settings sheet like so:

View attachment 1226869

that will give you the stock setup the car had originally.
thank you, I have completed all the license trials, and yes most races can be won with stock cars, it’s the GT3 Chili ones I am struggling with, every other class is way easier.
and as far as the sheets go, I learned my lesson after tinkering with it and not realizing I needed to start a new sheet so I lost all the stock settings 🫣

Like I’ve said I’m hardcore GT fan and I wanted my son to love it like I do, but when he comes across this he just quits and I understand that. They need to make the game better than what it is imo.

Fairly salient point.

There aren't many "kids" making their opinions heard on this forum, as far as I know.

We mostly are quite accepting of GT7's quirky shortcomings because we have a pedigree of playing the old games, but in reality it would be helpful to hear more from the current generation of gamers and what they think of it 'coming in cold' so to speak.

thank you, I have completed all the license trials, and yes most races can be won with stock cars, it’s the GT3 Chili ones I am struggling with, every other class is way easier.
and as far as the sheets go, I learned my lesson after tinkering with it and not realizing I needed to start a new sheet so I lost all the stock settings 🫣
the Chilli races require solid pace and consistency. The AI isn't better it's pace is adjusted upwards.

They are suppose to be a challenge vs the other races in the game but require you to drive at 10 tenths consistently without a lot of any mistakes.

Wait till you do the human comedy mission races....they are somewhat masochistic...

Fairly salient point.

There aren't many "kids" making their opinions heard on this forum, as far as I know.

We mostly are quite accepting of GT7's quirky shortcomings because we have a pedigree of playing the old games, but in reality it would be helpful to hear more from the current generation of gamers and what they think of it 'coming in cold' so to speak.
To be fair they will do surely what 15 year old me did and just make a 900hp skyline monster 🤣

Seriously though it's a fair question.

Last edited:
Back