Gran Turismo 1 Never buy a car completion Challenge.

OK, here are the rules for the challenge. Start a new game so you have no cars, no license, and only the starting $10,000.
The object of this challenge is to fully complete the simulation part of the game in the shortest amount of days and without ever buying a car. You will have to get all gold metals on at least one of the three licenses test to get your starting car. The three starting cars available to win on the license test are the red Dodge concept car (B-License), TRD 3000 GT (A-License), and the Nismo 400R (IA-License). After you win one of the three cars you can start competing in the races to win the cars that you will need to complete the challenge. You can only build up cars you win by winning championships. No Cheat devices, (Gameshark, pro action replay, hacking etc.) hybrids, coding, or trading a car from another memory card allowed.

After completing all the GT League and Special Event races post the amount of days, cash, and how many cars are in your garage. I will take that information and apply a formula to the stats that is only known by me at this time to arrive one number. The person with the highest number after the formula is applied is the winner. See the above post for the Scoring rules

Deadline for this challenge is midnight Halloween night US Central Standard Time. Any results posted after 12:00 A.M. Nov 1st will not count.

Last edited:
I will take that information and apply a formula to the stats that is only known by me at this time to arrive one number. The person with the lowest number after the formula is applied is the winner.

All fine apart from this.

At the end, whomever comes second won't be all that happy if they lose out for some mystical reason that they can never know. You need to explain how you arrive at the final "coefficient of this challenge".

At the end, whomever comes second won't be all that happy if they lose out for some mystical reason that they can never know. You need to explain how you arrive at the final "coefficient of this challenge".

I would try this if you told me how in the world you arrive to the answer. I don't want to feel lost.

Famine

Sorry about that. And I should have said the highest score. The only reason for keeping the formula to myself was to discourage cheating. If no one knew the scoring formula they would not know what numbers to change in order to cheat. With that said here are the scoring rules.

The higher your cash and how many cars that are in your garage is and the lower that your days are when you complete the Simulation side of the game, the higher your score will be. I'll be using this formula for the scores.

Formula= ($/D)*(C/D) =S
$=Cash D=Days C=Cars S=Score
All data will be rounded off to 3 places after the decimal.

Example: Right now since I'm doing the challenge as well, I have $1,266,300 in cash, 11 cars that I have won in my garage, and it has taken me 65 days to complete as much as I have done so far. So if I apply the above formula to what I have right now I would have a score of 292.223.

Days=65 Cash=$1,266,300 Cars=11

($1,266,300/65=$19481.538) x (11/65=0.015)=$19481.538*0.015=S

S=292.223

GT_Prologue5
I would try this if you told me how in the world you arrive to the answer. I don't want to feel lost.

You asked for it. So there is your answer. :)

It can be made in a Portuguese-translated version?
Not sure what you mean but I'll try to machine translate it.

A APROVAÇÃO, é aqui as réguas para o desafio. Comece-o um jogo novo assim que não ter nenhum carro, nenhuma licença, e os somente o $10.000 começando. O objeto deste desafio é terminar inteiramente a peça da simulação do jogo na quantidade a mais curta de dias e sem nunca comprar um carro. Você terá que conseguir pelo menos todos os metais do ouro em um do teste de três licenças começ seu carro começando. Os três carros começando disponíveis para ganhar no teste da licença são o carro vermelho do conceito do rodeio (B-Licença), TRD 3000 GT (Um-Licença), e o Nismo 400R (IA-Licença). Depois que você ganha um dos três carros você pode começar competir nas raças para ganhar os carros que você precisará de terminar o desafio. Você pode somente acumular carros que você ganha ganhando campeonatos. Nenhuns dispositivos da fraude, (Gameshark, pro repetição de ação, cortando etc.) híbrido, codificação, ou troca que um carro de um outro cartão de memória permitiu. Após ter terminado toda a liga e evento especial da GT compete o borne a quantidade de dias, dinheiro, e quantos carros estão em sua garagem. Eu tomarei essa informação e aplicarei uma fórmula ao stats que é sabido somente por mim nesta hora de chegar um número. A pessoa com o número o mais elevado depois que a fórmula é aplicada é o vencedor. Veja o borne acima para as réguas de contabilização O fim do prazo para este desafio é tempo padrão central dos E.U. da noite da meia-noite de Halloween. Alguns resultados afixados depois que o 12:00 A M. novembro ø não contará.

Fome [das CITAÇÕES] Tudo muito bem aparte disto. Na extremidade, whomever vem segundo won' t seja todo esse feliz se perdem para fora para alguma razão mystical que podem nunca saber. Você precisa de explicar como você chega no " final; coeficiente deste challenge". [/QUOTE] Pesaroso sobre isso. E eu devo ter dito a contagem a mais elevada. A única razão para manter a fórmula a mim mesmo era desanimar enganar-se. Se ninguém souberam a fórmula de contabilização não saberiam que números a mudar a fim se enganar. Com o isso dito aqui são as réguas de contabilização. O mais elevado seu dinheiro e quantos carros que estão em sua garagem é e mais baixos seus dias são quando você terminam o lado da simulação do jogo, mais elevada sua contagem será. I' o ll esteja usando esta fórmula para as contagens. Formula= ($/D)* (C/D) =S $=Cash D=Days C=Cars S=Score Todos os dados serão arredondados fora a 3 lugares após o decimal. Exemplo: Agora desde I' m que faz o desafio também, eu tenho $1.266.300 no dinheiro, 11 carros que eu ganhei em minha garagem, e tomou-me 65 dias para terminar tanto quanto eu tenho feito até agora. Assim se eu me aplico a fórmula acima a o que eu me tenho agora teria uma contagem de 292.223. Days=65 Cash=$1,266,300 Cars=11 ($1,266,300/65=$19481.538) x (11/65=0.015) =$19481.538*0.015=S S=292.223

The only reason for keeping the formula to myself was to discourage cheating. If no one knew the scoring formula they would not know what numbers to change in order to cheat. With that said here are the scoring rules.

That's fair enough, but then you're asking people to rely on you to tell them their scores without any check on how you worked it out. For example:

Example: Right now since I'm doing the challenge as well, I have $1,266,300 in cash, 11 cars that I have won in my garage, and it has taken me 65 days to complete as much as I have done so far. So if I apply the above formula to what I have right now I would have a score of 292.223.

S=292.223

11/65 is 0.169, not 0.015. The score would be 3296.875, not 292.223.

With GT1 particularly - since it has no game completion screen - you're looking at the whole thing being done on trust anyway. It's a good idea though.

Sorry about that. And I should have said the highest score.

Just to run through a couple more examples, if someone had achieved the same as you but in one fewer game days, they'd score 3400. I'd agree that this is more of an achievement. If they'd reached the same number of game days but had 100kcr more, they'd score 3557 - or with 1 more car they'd score 3597.

However I think running to 3 decimal places is a bit... silly. I'd divide the whole thing by 1000 and run to three decimal places - so our four example guys score

$1.26m, 11 cars, 65 days = 3.297
$1.26m, 11 cars, 64 days = 3.400
$1.36m, 11 cars, 65 days = 3.557
$1.26m, 12 cars, 65 days = 3.597

I should also add a note that in the Japanese version, all prize cars are worth 20m credits - equivalent to 200,000 credits. Other versions' prize cars are worth 35,000cr or less. You'd have to divide the Japanese version's credits by 100 anyway to compare them, but it'd skew the results in favour of people using Japanese games - so asking people to include their version would be a good idea.

That's fair enough, but then you're asking people to rely on you to tell them their scores without any check on how you worked it out. For example:

11/65 is 0.169, not 0.015. The score would be 3296.875, not 292.223.

With GT1 particularly - since it has no game completion screen - you're looking at the whole thing being done on trust anyway. It's a good idea though.

Just to run through a couple more examples, if someone had achieved the same as you but in one fewer game days, they'd score 3400. I'd agree that this is more of an achievement. If they'd reached the same number of game days but had 100kcr more, they'd score 3557 - or with 1 more car they'd score 3597.

However I think running to 3 decimal places is a bit... silly. I'd divide the whole thing by 1000 and run to three decimal places - so our four example guys score

$1.26m, 11 cars, 65 days = 3.297
$1.26m, 11 cars, 64 days = 3.400
$1.36m, 11 cars, 65 days = 3.557
$1.26m, 12 cars, 65 days = 3.597

I should also add a note that in the Japanese version, all prize cars are worth 20m credits - equivalent to 200,000 credits. Other versions' prize cars are worth 35,000cr or less. You'd have to divide the Japanese version's credits by 100 anyway to compare them, but it'd skew the results in favour of people using Japanese games - so asking people to include their version would be a good idea.

Looks like both of us made a math mistake in those post. Thank you for letting me know that there is a credit difference in the other versions of the game. How about this you post a screen shot of the race screens like this one.
GT1_Challenge_Screen_Shots.jpg

and we only use the formula with the corrections for the different version if there is a tie. Lowest amount of Days on completion of the race and gold on all the race trophies like I have on the screen shots above so far.

Looks like both of us made a math mistake in those post.

Did we? I must have missed mine.

Also, while NTSC-J prize cars are all 200kcr, only the racers and rare road cars are 35kcr in PAL/NTSC-UC. Some are less, so there's no real way to convert unless you know the specific cars.

Actually Cr35,000 is Cr20,000 plus Cr15,000 fee of some sort.

When you sell a race-mod prize you only get Cr12,000 (or Cr10,000 from wrong dealer).

But I guess one can define value as what you see when looking at the trade screen.

I believe you can reduce that value by removing all removable parts. There's actually a bug in that when you buy a car via memory card trade, you get it with its fitted parts, (and pay for them), but they are not added to the available "shared inventory".

Oh. If you have two or more copies of the exact same model you don't need to have paid for the parts for all of them. (Because they can be shared). But if they are fitted, they are added to the shown cost for memory-card trade.

Did we? I must have missed mine.

Also, while NTSC-J prize cars are all 200kcr, only the racers and rare road cars are 35kcr in PAL/NTSC-UC. Some are less, so there's no real way to convert unless you know the specific cars.

$1,266,300/65=19481.538
11/65=0.169
19481.538 * 0.169 = 3292.380
So using the formula the score would have been 3292.380
Also I figured out what went wrong on my figures to start with it was a typo when I plugged in the numbers into the calculator it didn't record one of my button pushes. When I did the 11/65 it recorded only one of the ones. It did 1/65 instead of 11/65. That made my whole answer wrong. I should have run the numbers twice to make sure I typed everything in properly.

The two hardest things in this challenge is a toss up between getting all gold on the license test and winning ether the FF or Lightweight series with a Demio A Spec. I takes some skillful driving to win the championship with that car. In RL I would have been "Black Flagged" for the way I did the LW series of races. LOL

Kuyong_Chuin, can you spend credit on tuning the prize cars you earn our you can't do that either? :confused:
I'd like to know what i can do before starting this challenge. Golding the B License won't be a problem. ;)

Kuyong_Chuin, can you spend credit on tuning the prize cars you earn our you can't do that either? :confused:
I'd like to know what i can do before starting this challenge. Golding the B License won't be a problem. ;)[/QUOTE

Yes you can tune and use any car that you win from the License test and championship. You just can't purchase a car from a dealer or a trade and you can not use a Cheat device to mod the cars that you win. You have tune the cars like you would normally at a dealers tune up shop. You also can not use a cheat device to bump up your credits. The way I did it so far is that I spent my time getting gold on all three license categories first. That took me 31 game days to do (I had to do a few test a couple of times to get gold or it would have been only 27 days) but it gave me three cars to work with to do the championships. After having my first 3 cars I used the TRD3000GT to win the normal class championship. That gave me enough credits to build up my Nismo 400R and run the Sunday Cup to get myself a FF car, the Demio A Spec, I then built it up to run the Lightweight class championship. I figured it would be the easiest to do of the FF Championship and the LW one with that rolling brick of a car. :) I then built up the Civic that I won to do the FWD championship. The only problem that I have come across so far is some time you will have to win the same Championship more than once to get the car that you need to complete the challenge. Like you might have to run the lightweight races more than once if you get the Mazda Eunos Roadster the first time instead of the Honda Civic. The key to doing this challenge in the least amount of days without buying a car is to do the races in a order that will give you the type of cars that you will need to complete the quest and not have to spend more credits to build more cars up that you really need. If you are a skillful enough driver to win both the FWD and LW races with the Demio that you win from the Sunday cup you can complete the entire Simulation side of the game with three cars you get from the License and the Sunday cup races if you do the races in the right order. Example: Using the TRD3000GT to win the Normal races then build it for the RWD races. Build up the 400R to the hard tuned level and do the tuned races. Then add the race mod and use it for the other races that you can use it in. And use the Concept car for the UK-US races. I know doing it that way it would not be easy but it can be done and it is the cheapest way to do it. Plus you won't have to keep running extra race to get or build up your cars.

$1,266,300/65=19481.538
11/65=0.169
19481.538 * 0.169 = 3292.380
So using the formula the score would have been 3292.380

Nope.

(Money/Days) * (Cars/Days) = 3296.876

Either use the memory function or, knowing that maths always preserves function order, type in:

Money / Days * Cars / Days = Result

Or, better yet,

Money * Cars = Value / Days / Days = Result

Starting with 1,266,300 credits and eleven cars in 65 days results in 3296.876 unless you go Money / Days and write down the answer to 3dp, then go Cars / Days and write down the answer to 3dp and then multiply your two written-down answers together.

But given that that gives you an error of 0.1% on a seven significant figure sum, you should avoid that wholly.

unless you go Money / Days and write down the answer to 3dp, then go Cars / Days and write down the answer to 3dp and then multiply your two written-down answers together.

But given that that gives you an error of 0.1% on a seven significant figure sum, you should avoid that wholly.

That is what I was doing LOL. I guess I should have did it in the other mode and used the brackets. Hopefully we will not have a tie to break so we don't have to figure out a tie breaker that will work for all versions. :)

Sorry about that. And I should have said the highest score. The only reason for keeping the formula to myself was to discourage cheating. If no one knew the scoring formula they would not know what numbers to change in order to cheat. With that said here are the scoring rules.

The higher your cash and how many cars that are in your garage is and the lower that your days are when you complete the Simulation side of the game, the higher your score will be. I'll be using this formula for the scores.

Formula= ($/D)*(C/D) =S
$=Cash D=Days C=Cars S=Score
All data will be rounded off to 3 places after the decimal.

S=292.223

You asked for it. So there is your answer. :)

Not sure what you mean but I'll try to machine translate it.

A APROVAÇÃO, é aqui as réguas para o desafio. Comece-o um jogo novo assim que não ter nenhum carro, nenhuma licença, e os somente o $10.000 começando. O objeto deste desafio é terminar inteiramente a peça da simulação do jogo na quantidade a mais curta de dias e sem nunca comprar um carro. Você terá que conseguir pelo menos todos os metais do ouro em um do teste de três licenças começ seu carro começando. Os três carros começando disponíveis para ganhar no teste da licença são o carro vermelho do conceito do rodeio (B-Licença), TRD 3000 GT (Um-Licença), e o Nismo 400R (IA-Licença). Depois que você ganha um dos três carros você pode começar competir nas raças para ganhar os carros que você precisará de terminar o desafio. Você pode somente acumular carros que você ganha ganhando campeonatos. Nenhuns dispositivos da fraude, (Gameshark, pro repetição de ação, cortando etc.) híbrido, codificação, ou troca que um carro de um outro cartão de memória permitiu. Após ter terminado toda a liga e evento especial da GT compete o borne a quantidade de dias, dinheiro, e quantos carros estão em sua garagem. Eu tomarei essa informação e aplicarei uma fórmula ao stats que é sabido somente por mim nesta hora de chegar um número. A pessoa com o número o mais elevado depois que a fórmula é aplicada é o vencedor. Veja o borne acima para as réguas de contabilização O fim do prazo para este desafio é tempo padrão central dos E.U. da noite da meia-noite de Halloween. Alguns resultados afixados depois que o 12:00 A M. novembro ø não contará.

Fome [das CITAÇÕES] Tudo muito bem aparte disto. Na extremidade, whomever vem segundo won' t seja todo esse feliz se perdem para fora para alguma razão mystical que podem nunca saber. Você precisa de explicar como você chega no " final; coeficiente deste challenge".
Pesaroso sobre isso. E eu devo ter dito a contagem a mais elevada. A única razão para manter a fórmula a mim mesmo era desanimar enganar-se. Se ninguém souberam a fórmula de contabilização não saberiam que números a mudar a fim se enganar. Com o isso dito aqui são as réguas de contabilização. O mais elevado seu dinheiro e quantos carros que estão em sua garagem é e mais baixos seus dias são quando você terminam o lado da simulação do jogo, mais elevada sua contagem será. I' o ll esteja usando esta fórmula para as contagens. Formula= ($/D)* (C/D) =S $=Cash D=Days C=Cars S=Score Todos os dados serão arredondados fora a 3 lugares após o decimal. Exemplo: Agora desde I' m que faz o desafio também, eu tenho $1.266.300 no dinheiro, 11 carros que eu ganhei em minha garagem, e tomou-me 65 dias para terminar tanto quanto eu tenho feito até agora. Assim se eu me aplico a fórmula acima a o que eu me tenho agora teria uma contagem de 292.223. Days=65 Cash=$1,266,300 Cars=11 ($1,266,300/65=$19481.538) x (11/65=0.015) =$19481.538*0.015=S S=292.223[/QUOTE]

The "translation" i meant is that i've found a GT ROM translated into Portuguese (only license tests descriptions are in English, but because if translated, the game would be messed)

Sorry for asking , but what's the point of this challenge when one plays the the game on Play Station and second uses an emulation software?

MadMax

MadMax86
Sorry for asking , but what's the point of this challenge when one plays the the game on Play Station and second uses an emulation software?

Kuyong_Chuin
No Cheat devices, (Gameshark, pro action replay, hacking etc.) hybrids, coding, or trading a car from another memory card allowed.
Hope that clears things up. 👍

Hope that clears things up. 👍

MadMax86

Thanks Nero, Forgive me if I'm a little off right now with my answers. I forgot to take my meds before I laid down last night so I'm hurting right now till the meds kick in. Now back to the Max's question. If you was using an emulator to do the challenge and you changed the amount of days, money, cars, etc. or anything else in the game while doing this challenge it would fall into the category of cheating which is not allowed. If you do not cheat this challenge is not the easiest thing to do. That is the reason it is a challenge. If you cheat you are just cheating yourself out of being able to say "Hey you know I beat the Sim side of GT1 without ever buying a car and without cheating to do so". I'm doing the challenge right along with you guys to be able to say I did it too.

With that being said we need an idea for a tie breaker if there is a tie. As Famine pointed out that because the version differences and the 1% error because I was rounding the numbers off at each step that my original formula taking into account days, cash, and cars will not give you the same output for all the versions. So if you have an idea 💡 for a tie breaker that will work for all the versions please let me know.

As it stands right now the person that gets all gold trophies on the races in the least amount of days without ever buying a car even a starting car is the winner. Your starting car comes from getting all gold on at least one of the three license types. Good Luck with the challenge.

Indeed.

Since emulation as a whole is banned on GTPlanet, I'd suggest emulation is banned from any challenge run on GTPlanet. It saves me from having to point people to the sticky thread that has been at the top of this forum since December 2009. Again.

Indeed.

Since emulation as a whole is banned on GTPlanet, I'd suggest emulation is banned from any challenge run on GTPlanet. It saves me from having to point people to the sticky thread that has been at the top of this forum since December 2009. Again.

I Agreed. Not sure how you are going to do the screenshots if you don't have a digital camera which is how I took the screenshots I posted earlier and then photo shopped it into a single picture to save space.

If you have a cellphone - and almost everyone in the universe does - you probably have a camera too. On the cellphone.

I can do screen shots by recording onto a PVR and making a DVD. And I have another device I can make work too.

It sounds like this needs to be kept as a competition for only owners of the Japanese version. Winning the FF or Lightweight series with the Demio is very easy in the North American game.

Last edited:
The thing with digital cameras is that you can keep photographing until it's right.

If you have a cellphone - and almost everyone in the universe does - you probably have a camera too. On the cellphone.

You know something, I forgot all about cell phones having a camera in then when I typed that message. :dunce: Probably because my cell phone is a no frills model with no internet, no camera, and most of the time no service do to I live out in the boonies. :)

Back