http://www.redline-e.com
==================================================================

screenMenu.png

garage_01.png

garage_02.png

garage_03.png

paintshop3.png

dealership_01.png

Hi, (Please forgive my non native English.)

I might be a little bit off topics (not sure) but i am actually creating a racing game with a friend and our goal is to create a kind of light version of GT2.
The game is still at an early stage, but we are putting a lot of effort into it.

Maybe like you all, GT2 has been one of the best game i ever played in my childhood and it changed the way i looked at Racing Games at that time.

I stopped buying console after the psx so the only Gran Turismo i have played are GT1 and GT2 ^^.

I still play GT2 sometimes, and the game is still very fun and enjoyable today.

Anyway, my goal for our game would be to recreate the same atmosphere that the game delivered to me when i was playing it. (Not sure if what i said make sense? ^^)

As you can see on the screenshots, the simplicity of the menu and the icons design are very GT2 inspired.
Simple, clean and efficient!

The main thread is on the "PC Gaming" subforum but if i have some valuable news about it i will be pleased to post them here as well.

Also, i would like to know what aspect of the game you liked the most in GT2?

Last edited:
Kudos on you for embarking on such an ambitious project! And check out the thread here in the GT2 forum about "if GT2 were remade, what refinements would you like to see?"

But for me, what I liked about GT2 most was depth of car options and tuning options (including the ability to race modify most cars.) And along with this, given so many options, the ability to pick cars/setups that made any race in the game quite challenging.

And of course, I like the ways the physics works. Perhaps a bit arcade-y but believable enough for me, and racing is very different depending on the car/setup, a fun challenge to master different kinds of cars.

For me, I had some problems with GT2, but if it was remade, I made a refinements list for it in a GT2 thread called "If GT2 was remade: refinements list." However, thats very interesting you're making such a thing and I'm glad for it. Can't wait to hear more about it in the future. 👍

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback guys.

@jeffgoddin
Yeah Race modify most cars was just crazy concept. I loved it also.
That just gave me a new idea for our game!

Instead of showing same the same car twice in the car dealer (normal version + Racing version), maybe i can implement a Race Modify Menu to give the same feeling as GT2.

Same for the physics, GT2 was ahead of its time.
I will do my best on this area^^

@Crispy9001
I will have a look on that list. But what i would like to know more is what part of the gameplay make you love GT2 so much.

Because to be honest, its just impossible for us to give you a new GT2 game with all the refinements list feature ^^

But anyway, i'll have a look.

More screenshots to come very soon!

Hee hee, one thing you may be able to do that GT2 didn't... when race modify, allow for a change of drivetrain. FF Taurus becomes FR, FF Intrepid FR, etc. Now THAT... would be awesome.

Hee hee, one thing you may be able to do that GT2 didn't... when race modify, allow for a change of drivetrain. FF Taurus becomes FR, FF Intrepid FR, etc. Now THAT... would be awesome.

All Racing modified FF cars become FR ?
I guess it must depends on the car right ?

Also, i am not sure but for the moment i would like to keep FF cars FF, 4WD cars 4WD etc.
For example, in Forza, you can change the drivetrain of any car, and i find it very bad feature imo.

I think the drivetrain is also what make a car charismatic. So it should not be changed. IMO.

Yeah, no, in real life, racing modified FF cars are all made to be FR, but in GT2, race modify doesn't change drivetrain. I agree about drive characteristics, this would be a race modify only thing, and even then only an option, since like in the BTCC FF cars are still FF.

@Crispy9001
I will have a look on that list. But what i would like to know more is what part of the gameplay make you love GT2 so much.

Because to be honest, its just impossible for us to give you a new GT2 game with all the refinements list feature ^^

But anyway, i'll have a look.

More screenshots to come very soon!

Yeah, sometimes with refining games, as I plan to become a video game developer, sometimes you should just make a game to your liking yourself, like you are! :lol:

For me, not just the kinds of racing you can do with the cars and tracks you have and how you can modify and customize them, I also liked the beautifully-perfectly-driving-and-playing game-play physics balance between arcade and simulation racing, and how full-on hardcore sim physics were actually optional with Sim Tires.

Last edited:
Nice idea, I hope this will be a success. 👍

What I liked about GT2 are the cars. We had cars you wouldn't expect in any game because they're really "special". For example the Renault Espace F1, the Nissan Skyline R34 GT25, the Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG, or the cars from manufacturers like Venturi or Vector ... never seen these and similar cars in any racing game. I hope you get what I mean, I would like to see more "unusual" cars.
I also would like to see something like license tests. They can be optional, but it would be nice if they would be as challenging as in GT2.

Hey thanks you guys for your support and ideas about the game.

@zondaman2
We hope we can release it around the end of February. (so 1 more month to wait).
Featuring 10 more cars + 1 racetrack to drive around.

Racetrack are very difficult to create and very long process, but we are doing our best^^

@RacingPanda
Yep! I agree!

We also would like to add unusual cars as well. Its just a question of modeling them.
But of course we will try to make the "most popular cars" first.
Also if many players have the same special request, we may make the car as well.

I would like to make the license tests thing because i used to love it in GT1 & GT2.
But i wonder how long development time it will cost to me to create such a thing...

I don't know what you'll think of this, but I think it would be a good idea to let players contribute their own cars and tracks. That lets interested players add the content they want, potentially making the game more attractive while letting you spend more development time on core issues like game physics.

(Which makes me wonder why Polyphonic Digital haven't themselves taken this advice. :D)

I don't know what you'll think of this, but I think it would be a good idea to let players contribute their own cars and tracks. That lets interested players add the content they want, potentially making the game more attractive while letting you spend more development time on core issues like game physics.

(Which makes me wonder why Polyphonic Digital haven't themselves taken this advice. :D)

That's the way Dolphinity Racer is.

(Which makes me wonder why Polyphonic Digital haven't themselves taken this advice. )

We are already thinking about that, but it is quite hard to do that in Unity at the moment.
Also, we are at a too early stage right now to think about it clearly.

This is very interesting. It’s hard to say what I loved best about the game. I think the combination of it’s classy feel, amazing range of cars, depth and variety of tracks, and just how absorbing it was to play is part of what made it special. Incorporate these things into your creation, and you will be some way to re creating GT2.

If you can get the Shift version of the M3, it will have a more accurate body shape than the Forza one you appear to have there.

This is a really interesting project, especially if GT2 is the game you're inspired by. It was the best game of the series. Later games are better as simulators though, obviously. The main thing that makes me nostalgic about GT2 is thinking back on the insanely varied car list and thinking "Holy crap! I can tune my uncle's Vauxhall Vectra!"

It really was simply the sheer range of cars for me, and the fact that racing mods could be applied to all of the road cars (which is what I drive most).

The main reason I want GT2 again is because in GT5, I can't casually go and buy a Venturi 600, or a Vector W8, a Road Going Lister Storm, or a Renault Espace with 800BHP! It was all of those unknown, underrated and awesome cars that nobody ever heard of until GT2 came out that makes me want to play it again.

If you can get the Shift version of the M3, it will have a more accurate body shape than the Forza one you appear to have there.

All the cars has been modeled by hand by my friend. I am not sure about the body accuracy of the M3, but rather than looking at Shift or Forza, he worked with photo references of the real model actually..

@lbpomg95

Yeah i totally agree about your analysis here. GT2 car selection was absolutely great, not to mention that all cars could be tunned to Racing as you said.

To be really honest, we are only 2 working on this project, so actually, i think it would be impossible to get all the GT2 cars and their racing version on our game.

But we are modeling cars on request, and if you have a favorite car that you loved to drive on GT2, we can include it on the game :)

I know it's not from GT2, but I would love to see a Scion xB 2008-2010 in the game. It might not be a exciting car to other people, but I would be so happy if you modeled that car. & other question about your game. How good is it to drive with a G27 wheel ? Thanks.

Well, two I would love to see is the Ford Fiesta 2009 Zetec and the Toyota Corolla D4-D 2005 van (the second might be actually more difficult). I would love to see them for 2 reasons. 1 is that these are the cars I own in real life and 2 is that neither appear at GT5 (atleast I didn't found them).

The Ford Fiesta 2009 Zetec is a cool looking model, i will talk to my friend to see if he can do something about it.

For the Scion xB 2008-2010, i will see what i can do.

The Ford Fiesta 2009 Zetec is a cool looking model, i will talk to my friend to see if he can do something about it.

For the Scion xB 2008-2010, i will see what i can do.

Ok, thank you. I think it's cool you are making your own game. I know I would love to be able to do that.

Yey! Finally driving my car at 200km/h without police all over the place (altough it might be a cool... ,nah forget it ;) )

Have you considered creating a PS4 version of this game? As Sony really seem to be welcoming indie developers on to their new platform, and they allow self publishing.

Pair this with the fact that the PS4 will use the X86 architecture, and it seems like a no brainer (I know I would download your game if you brought it to the ps4!) :)

Well, i can't say that i will never do it, but campared to PS4 game graphics and quality, our game will feel pretty poor...

Even compared with ps3 or ps2 quality game, our game feel poor.

I don't see how people could be interested in it.
But who know ? Maybe i underestimate the Indie gaming industry ?

What about licensing?

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/32469/car-brands-and-models-licensing

If I were you, I would go with fictional cars instead. There are some great amateur car designers out there who would love to see their dream creations in a game.

· You'd get a lot of really cool and unique cars.
· You'd get them a lot cheaper than what you'd have to pay for real brands and models.
· You don't risk getting sued for taking content without having a license.
· You can make the game reach out to a huge audience (if you stole the cars, you'd get a bunch of lawsuits if that were to happen)

One tip is to visit the design schools, that's where the future of automotive design grows and if you're able to hook up with some students there you'll be able to feature the design concepts of the future before anyone else :)

If there are this heavy legal issues, it would be better to go with original cars rather than with commercial ones, but the problem is, who would play a game based on imaginary cars at this point?
I mean, 20, maybe 10 years ago that was a normal praxis for videogames, and some even copied the cars not to have to pay licensing, but now I think players are more interested in this aspect, in a particular way when playing a game which wants to be realistic. If you're making a realistic game, how can it be real if it doesn't come with real cars?
eran0004, I find your idea very good, and personally I'd play a game with fictional cars which come from engineering projects all over the world (I mean, the ones from universities and/or engineers and designers), but I wouldn't find really interesting to play with creations of anyone, I mean, with the shape of a car designed by somebody and given random techincal specs...

Back