Gran Turismo 2 very inspired project.

• Thread starter jujunosuke
  • 52 comments
Hmmm... maybe I already said this somewhere... and maybe this isn't the right thread to post this...

But the one feature I wish GT2 had, is the ability to set your automatic transmission shift point. Should be easy. Game has it as redline or 100rpm over redline or something like that. In the old American cars, though, power decreases to like 50% in some cases by the time revs hit the redline, and upon shiftup, rpms are still above peak power, you totally miss the power band. Other cars only reach their peak power at the redline or above, and to be able to re-set the shift point from the redline to the rev limit (usually another 650 or so rpms) would greatly increase the power available.

Yeah, yeah, learn to drive MT. I can do it, but prefer not to, so, this feature would be awesome for me.

What about licensing?

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/32469/car-brands-and-models-licensing

If I were you, I would go with fictional cars instead. There are some great amateur car designers out there who would love to see their dream creations in a game.

· You'd get a lot of really cool and unique cars.
· You'd get them a lot cheaper than what you'd have to pay for real brands and models.
· You don't risk getting sued for taking content without having a license.
· You can make the game reach out to a huge audience (if you stole the cars, you'd get a bunch of lawsuits if that were to happen)

One tip is to visit the design schools, that's where the future of automotive design grows and if you're able to hook up with some students there you'll be able to feature the design concepts of the future before anyone else :)

Simple.. he publishes and updates it without taking credit..

Yeah, actually as Patruck said, no one want to play with fictional cars. Feel good on game like Ridge Racer tho because the driving is also very arcade.

And we don't want to play wit fictional cars either.

And to be honest we really don't care about it because our game is just so ridiculous impact. Its not like we are using their brand to make money you now.
The game is totally free.
In the future, we might even release "unofficial real cars pack" as an ad-don.

Simple.. he publishes and updates it without taking credit..
Smart.

Hmmm... maybe I already said this somewhere... and maybe this isn't the right thread to post this...

But the one feature I wish GT2 had, is the ability to set your automatic transmission shift point. Should be easy. Game has it as redline or 100rpm over redline or something like that. In the old American cars, though, power decreases to like 50% in some cases by the time revs hit the redline, and upon shiftup, rpms are still above peak power, you totally miss the power band. Other cars only reach their peak power at the redline or above, and to be able to re-set the shift point from the redline to the rev limit (usually another 650 or so rpms) would greatly increase the power available.

Yeah, yeah, learn to drive MT. I can do it, but prefer not to, so, this feature would be awesome for me.

Why not, but basically the gear ratio of the car is made to be in the powerband when you shift near the redline (upshift).

But i'll will see what i can do to make the user the ability to change it himself.
That might now be too hard to do.

Well, I understand that real cars are more exciting to use, but it could give you a lot of trouble. If you still want to keep the real cars, you should at least get some legal advice on what the risks are.

One of the things that made GT2 a fantastic game was the use of cars from very abstract manufacturers. It seems likely that obtaining permission to render a Ferrari in game would likely be more difficult than obtaining permission to add something like a Connaught Type D, or the Vector W8, or a Venturi. Trying to find fledgling manufacturers that want their cars publicised and adding them to the game would likely be easier as well.

Though now I think about it, this is assuming the game itself is likely to reach the public eye. Still, just a suggestion.

Yep, that is a good idea, we would be so glad to even have the liscense to display the Vector W8!

But our game is so little impact, i guess they would hardly accept to make a contract with us...

Dream your dream, offer it for free, no license issues, and if you get noticed, you may get sponsored, development support, and then licenses will be no problem. As long as you don't ask for money, there is no license issue.

I'm interested in this game. Aren't you guys thinking of increasing the size of your developing team?? It would make life much easier 👍

I admire the job you guys are doing on this. I'd download your current build if my PC wouldn't be so useless.

sparkytooth, thank you so much for your sweat comment!

Yeah, we are thinking about increasing the size of the dev team, as you said, it would be much easier.
But its hard to find good partners..

Build 07 is ready!!!

You can get it at the usual place
http://www.redline-e.com/download/

You need to be registred to record your best laptime
http://www.redline-e.com/auth/register

Have fun ! :D

Here is the list of improvement :

Cars

- Added Alpha Romeo Brera
- Added Lexus LFA
- Added Lancer Evo X
- Added Nissan GTR-35
- Added F40

Racetracks

- Added new racetrack (Alpha)

Physics

- Reworked transmission model
- Reworked Suspension model
- Small changes on the tire model
- Surface detection (Asphalt, Grass, Sand)

Graphics

- Hood View
- Lightmap on racetrack
- Smoke effect (beta)
- Refined Dealership

Others

- Compete with other players and record your best lap
- You can now exit game from menu (no more Alt F4)
- F40 have its own engine sound (Also used for F355 Challenge)
- Menu Gamepad compatibility
- + many more :D

Feedback would be greatly appreciated

Hi Ittybitty Stigy !

Yes, its in our very near future plans!
The idea behind this is to connect the mobile and PC version and link them via the website to get a totally new kind of gameplay.

Hi Ittybitty Stigy !

Yes, its in our very near future plans!
The idea behind this is to connect the mobile and PC version and link them via the website to get a totally new kind of gameplay.

Cool, thanks:tup:

Hey, Jujuno, how many threads are there?

I need to know, so that I can subscribe to all of them.

Also, I've got a bit more open time to play with, it seems, for a little while. If you need music, for in race, I may just make it. I like this whole jazz thing, but I'd like to do some DnB work for it.

Hey, Jujuno, how many threads are there?

I need to know, so that I can subscribe to all of them.

Also, I've got a bit more open time to play with, it seems, for a little while. If you need music, for in race, I may just make it. I like this whole jazz thing, but I'd like to do some DnB work for it.

Hey mate!
There are only 2 threads.
Actually, the game is going to be more and more GT2 oriented, that is why i though it would be good to make a thread here also.

Thank you for your music proposition!
You just gave me a good idea!

Why not making a kind of jukebox for the ingame race ?
So, the jukebox would be like very discrete informations that pop op during game and show the title name and the author of the music.

That would be very cool.

beautiful music, i love it they are like GT menu musics
Thanks!

...problem is, who would play a game based on imaginary cars at this point?

Yes, only racing games i would play without car licences are :
Rage Racer 2 and Destruction Derby 3. (Maybe some new Driver 1 physics-alike game too)

Track.2 is very close to GT5 menu songs (i dont like 'em in game, because they can make you feel sleepy and because im very frustrated with the game itself :D )
But as itself the song is very good, but i just think not suitable for game menu.

Track 3 is much better, closer to RRT4 style which is more happy.

Tip for cars:
Look into 90's Supertouring era (STW, BTCC, JTCC etc.)

Last edited:

Hey,

this is not a bad one game, bro`..

It`s alittle difficult to feel the speed ingame, but it handles fine so far and is looking good !

I like that.

You seem to be some kind of "in music". I like the jazzy sound, go on with that. Some jungle/breakbeat-tunes would be a great idea, as well. If then, you do it oldschool, please..:)..

So far: Thumps up !

Hey thanks guys.

@karelpipa
Both track 2 and track 3 are supposed to be menu musics. (Not music while you are playing)
But these songs are not finished yet, so i am still trying to make them better for now.

@gotsoul

Yeah, the sens of speed is really hard to create. I need to make some work on it.

a small screenshot of a work in progress racetrack.
Very inspired by RRT4, thats why you can see the namco logo on it ^^
But this will be removed as soon as i complete the track.

1378646786.jpg

Just downloaded this. I must say, this is a really good indie racing game. The only complaint I have would be the brake calipers. On cars with red brake calipers, the logo reads "Ferrari", whether its a Ferrari or not. Just a small problem, but figured you should know, anyway. Its a great game overall; very fun, and I'd definitely recommend it!:)👍

Back