Gran Turismo 3 Launched on This Day in 2001

Was my first contact with console games in a friends home. Next that I bought a PS2 with GT4 and never more stoped. AM20GT.

Looked over the GT Sport car list and we have about 31 of the cars from GT3.
Well, as far as the Ruf cars, the RGT could be the 996 and the CTR2(I know it's AWD) can be the 993.

Also, a bit of liberty is taken with the model years of Viper GTS, Silvia K's and R34. Other than that, just about identical cars in GTS and GT3.

I remember when I saw the Panoz Esperante in the intro for the first time just wow never saw this car before and the 787B, Pagani's when i made a tour in the dealerships.

The GT3 Formula cars collection still the best from the saga
latest

Christmas of 2002 my Father/Step-Mother bought my wife and I a PS2. It was our first year in our first home, and we had an awesome "mancave" basement with dark wood stained walls, red carpet, gloss black topped full bar, foosball table, pool table, fire place, big screen TV, it was so sweet (God I miss being young and without kids). So Dad thought it needed a PlayStation to complete the package. 4x4 Evo was my jam. Next thing I know, I'm doing an electrician's apprenticeship, working tons of hours, sold the house to buy a more family friendly house, and the PlayStation got packed up and put away around mid 2003. Skip to winter 2013, my son is five years old. I dig through some boxes in the basement to find the old PS2 for Junior to play. He loves it, and I play a little 4x4 Evo and remember how fun it was. About three miles from my home there's a privately owned game repair/vintage game shop. I stop in looking for memory cards (remember those?) and pick up Gran Turismo 3 and a memory card for about 12 bucks. Down the rabbit hole I went. I spent about three or four months playing GT3 until I looked into steering wheels. Being an electrician I figured there might be some FFB technology out there. I found the Logitech G27 at about $250 and thought that was simply an amazingly cheap piece of equipment. I welded up a rig with a junkyard chair, and I was sim-racing. Within the next nine or so months I went through GT4, GT5, and by Christmas, bought the new GT6. Joined SNAIL shortly after. I've sim-raced ever since, and will probably never stop. GT3 is what got me started though. I'll never forget that rally course that made the controller start shaking when you went from pavement to dirt. That was the first taste of "immersion" that got me addicted. Ever since, I've been looking for more.

Outside of Japan, we had to wait until July, and those months seemed so unnecessary at the time. I can’t prove any of this, but it think it partly had to do with an Acura press embargo.
GT3 contained an Acura RSX, a car that Acura did not publicly introduce until June 29, 2001. Car now officially public, Gt3 was free to be released into the rest of the world in July.

Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec for me was a big leap forward in terms of graphics compared to previous chapters released on PS1, but removing this I consider it one of the worst along with Gran Turismo 5.

The gameplay is really very slow, and the events within the game are mostly repeated by difficulty level. Some events for each race have an exaggerated number of laps (20-30), and many of the time the cash prize and the car prize's do not repay your patience in having been hours and hours in winning a championship.

I found the single-brand cups really boring, whole hours spent driving a Toyota Yaris or a Toyota Altezza. Some events were also very similar to each other where all opponents used Group-C cars.

The only events that I found beautiful and interesting were the rallies and the JGTC themed ones.

Not to mention a new nuisance the oil change, where practically you have to change it so often that not even in real life, in a championship of 10 races usually at 8 * you have to change oil. You can't even finish an Endurance of your choice without the oil light coming on. Useless and annoying as a Feature.

On the other side Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec was the GT that had some of my favorite circuits such as Tokyo 246, Special Stage Ruote 11, Complex String, Smokey Mountain North, Rome Circuit & Tahiti Dirt Ruote 3.

It has a decent car park although some cars I would have avoided (PT Cruiser, Acura CL, Gillet Vertigo, Ford Mustang SVT Cobra) in favor of other more interesting ones.

I am happy for its 19th anniversary, but as a game I did not like it very much, especially when exiting Gran Turismo 2 which had the possibility of making your own normal car in a racing car removed together with the used car dealer.

I bought this in 2003 when I was 32 years old and also got my first PS2. Didn’t play it much because GT4 came a couple years later and I played the heck out of that instead.

Don’t have huge memories of GT3, other than I liked the China circuit and Complex String.

Started playing Gran Turismo 3 again
I've finished all Licenses and begun the first 2 events of Sunday Cup and successfully completed using Impreza Rally Prototype from Rally License all Golds.

You know, of all the GTs I've played, every main-line GT, and even the PSP game, this is the only one I've never had the chance to play.

With the exception of my PS1, all of my playstation consoles are unuseable in some way. The PS2 has no functional controllers. My PS3 wrecked its disc drive and also no longer connects to the internet. And finally, my PS4 cooked itself to death.

I've heard nothing but good stories from people about this, I absolutely have to give it a go someday, if I can find a method of running it.

GT3 has fond memories and some unfond memories for me

When I first got GT3 I got it as a bundle
It came with the the PS2, GT3 and a steering wheel.

I set it all up, fire GT3 up.
Buy the fastest car for the 18k which was the PT Cruiser.
Enter the Super Speed Way Sunday Cup.

While it was loading, I went to get some food or drink(cant really remember) but when I come back, I am greeted to NO SOUND.
The sound board on my TV(was a 34cm CRT) died.
So yay, couldn't even play GT3 or watch TV.

But I never fully liked GT3 as they ditched used cars and having less cars overall.

To me now, it looks more like a concept game to show case what the PS2 could do or it was a beta of GT4.

Probably a weird take, but GT3 has a beautiful aesthetic that's very hard to put into words. Generally, games attempting to be realistic look really ugly and dated after a few generations, but this game, somehow, is an exception.

Agree 100%

Back