Gran Turismo 3 Launched on This Day in 2001

Ah memories!

Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec was the first one of the series I played, where have those 19 years of gaming life gone?

Very fond memories of doing lots of Time Trials and driving the Castrol Tom's Supra a lot and many frustrating memories of trying to learn Seattle and of course how can I forget the Pikes Peak Escudo and doing the wheelies glitch?

Think I have found another distraction for memory lane this weekend, it's been a long time since I fired up the PS2.

Funny how this game turns 19 around the same time that I started doing a playthrough of GT3 again. Somehow managed to gold all the licenses which I believe are some of the hardest in the series (looking at you IB-6). I like how the hidden car aspect carried over from GT2 as in you could get an R390 Road Car but only as a prize car. The graphics still hold up today pretty well, and with some of the skyboxes in the game it makes it one of the best looking GT games.

First saw the Demo of the GT40 lapping Seattle reverse, in a game shop on Westchester Ave, in the Bronx. Was the Japanese version and not for sale. Couldn't believe those graphics. The heat haze. The sound of the car. The sunset conditions.

I'd say Mid-field was the circuit I enjoyed the most. However, I spent half my time acquiring all four TOM'S X540 Chasers, at that oval track.
Also, loved watching the replays after doing the Ruf RGT test course lap.

Got a copy of it, but doesn't work in my PS4.

First saw the Demo of the GT40 lapping Seattle reverse, in a game shop on Westchester Ave, in the Bronx. Was the Japanese version and not for sale. Couldn't believe those graphics. The heat haze. The sound of the car. The sunset conditions.

I'd say Mid-field was the circuit I enjoyed the most. However, I spent half my time acquiring all four TOM'S X540 Chasers, at that oval track.
Also, loved watching the replays after doing the Ruf RGT test course lap.

Got a copy of it, but doesn't work in my PS4.

I can remember heat haze technology in 2001. remarkabe effect

The Complex String Time Trial event is something that pops to my mind immediately when I think of GT3. It's the equivalent of beat the creator challenge.

Oh and being the last GT game to feature Special Stage Route 11 as of now. I remember doing a 10 lapper on that track using the Viper GTS-R then ending up racing against the GT-One, R390 GT1, and 787B.

So many memories with the game.

I still remember starting up the game right after my dad brought home our brand new PS2 and staring in awe as the intro started.

That feeling of seeing the graphical leap from GT2 to GT3 A Spec will forever be unmatched.

I made a"remaster" tribute to GT3 recently, if you want to experience that nostalgia of playing the game for the first time.

Aah the good old days...
One would wonder how GT3 would look like in todays technology 💡
So to celebrate its anniversary I thought why not do this re-imagining a remake GT3

And for the US Folks and myself:

And incase of wondering how it looks like side by side:

Yes I know the game used is Forza Horizon 3/4 but does it really matter? :D

Happy Birthday Gran Turismo 3!! :cheers:

Ahh I didnt see that the creator is in here @Yui-san cheers mate :lol:

Aah the good old days...
So to celebrate its anniversary I thought why not do this re-imagining a remake GT3

Thanks for sharing! :cheers: Happy to share that feeling of nostalgia with everyone.

Aah the good old days...

Amazing!

At the time, when I first saw it, I just could not believe the graphic detail of the game! Not even GT5 Prologue had such an impact six years latter.

It was the reason I bought a PS2 and when I got my hands on the game, I drove the hell out of all the +-200 cars it brought.
That never happened again with any of the following games (with the exception of GT Concept, both Prologues and GT HD – but all those had considerably less cars).

It was also the reason I found GT Planet, about a year latter, which I guess means It’ll be 18 years I am (not much) around here! :cheers:

The beginning of the ps2 era really was the best.

The jump on graphics and gameplay from the ps1 to ps2 will never be topped.

So many memories from this game, in particular my grey Subaru impreza wrx which was the second car I bought in game. Done over 10000 miles in in (I was amazed at the time this game clocked the miles on each of these cars in the hud like real cars)

I remember when I bought it. I had to buy a PS2 as well. I went to my local Game Stop on my motorcycle. I had a Timbuk 3 courier bag. I was able to fit the Playstation and the game inside the bag. Then I went to the grocery store next door and bought 2 2-liter bottles of diet cola. I was able to stuff them in the bag as well. Then I slung it all over my shoulder and rode home. Set the console up and started playing. It was such a huge improvement over GT and GT2. I loved it.

I can't believe it's 19 years already - it's still a good-looking game. I still remember standing in a game shop at the demo unit, figuring out which was going to be the best starter car once the game was on sale. It ended up being the Trueno, and I've probably still got my original savegame somewhere.

There were less bugs than GT2, which was nice, although things like the TT's broken AWD, the 787B's turbo, and the Zonda's short gearing slipped in. They're all easy to fix though, plus there's plenty of interesting stuff that can be done, so maybe a 'GT3 plus' mod for the 20th or 21st anniversary would be nice...

"But what I really want to know is. Are you going to go my way? And I got to Go To Know!"

Gran Turismo 3 is the game that got me into the series and the game that taught me how to play racing games properly. It's an all time favorite for me. Happy Birthday GT3! :cheers:

Swapped my PC for PS2 and cash, the dude got a bargain with all the games and controllers he got but all I wanted was Gt3 and it wasn't out yet but was a demo doing the rounds, was forever a GT fan from the start in 98, by far the most hours spent on any game. The replays are the cream on the cake, love too watch most of my races after running them, wish they'd put in the mode where playing music, it would react too it adding some special effects and spinning cameras etc for Gt Sport Got my sister too get me the US version when in New York for the better soundtrack and the extra F1 cars

Anyone still remember this bit? The rain in this game remains unmatched for all Gran Turismo series until GTSport on PS4 16 years later (yes, even Gran Turismo 5 and 6 rain effects are still inferior to Gran Turismo 3).

Still surreal to me looking at the actual rain gameplay on my original Playstation 2 to this day. That's how optimized this game are, on PS2 keep mind.

One of my top 5 racing games of all time

1.GT2
2.GT1
3.GT3
4.PC2
5.F3

The first game i bought back in 2001 when i finally got my first ps2 and boy i played the 🤬 out of it

The viper gts around seattle circuit was my favorite track/car combo :bowdown:

I was amazed how the graphics looked compared to GT/GT2, as well as PS2 games in general. Still pop it in every now and then, to do some drift laps to just chill, when I don't feel like taking gaming seriously.

I was born 8 months before this game came out. That's how old it is, and I never truly appreciated it until a few years ago when my brother bought a pre-owned PS2. Back when I was 7, I saw GT4 as the superior game - the UI looked better, the car list was larger and the track selection was bigger. I was too young to understand the impact of GT3 back then, but I understand now. It would've been incredible to play all those years ago. I can't believe it was released 19 years ago, containing soo many ground-breaking features that have found their way into every sim racer today.

I remember seeing GT3 for the first time and as with a lot of folk here being completely blown away by the jump in quality of the graphics. The heat haze and hot spark effects were the deal sealers for me. One of my friends from school had it so I got to have a shot at his house a few times and it was fantastic.

I had to wait and save up to buy a PS2 so I didn't get it until September 2001. Might even have been on 'that' day. But it didn't matter, I had it and I set to work straight away.

Favourite cars from the game were; T.M.E. stripe edition Evo VI, the Pennzoil Nismo and Loctite Zexel GT-Rs, the Corvette C5-R and the Toyota GT-One. Those certainly did the most mileage with me anyway.

I still have my original save 100% completed. Probably don't have all golds on the licence tests but that was never important to me. But I might go back and do it one of these days. Great memories from a great game but it's probably only my third or fourth favourite out of the series.

Glad I'm not the only one who loves the fun "orange" era of menus. Amazing aesthetic.

FE5vw.png

FE5vB.png

Glad I'm not the only one who loves the fun "orange" era of menus. Amazing aesthetic.

FE5vw.png

FE5vB.png
Its Gran Turismo 1...but okay.

And did you know that the time trial interface above is what inspired the current GTSport Circuit Experience menu?
images

Back