Gran Turismo 4 Celebrates its 15th Birthday Today

This thread has sure brought back a flood of memories for my grandson and I. Remembering the two player battles we had, the thrill we had of searching and finding all those Easter Eggs, Glitches, and other cool finds. And... counting down the days 'till those hidden blacks showed up in the used car dealerships. Even the disappointment of only having enough money credits to buy one or two of them and having to wait another 600+ days. Yelling at the TV set and the heart pounding battle of trying to get that Mercedes to finally win at Nordschleife. The city lights of Paris and Hong Kong, the evening sunsets of Seattle, and finally getting to race at El Capitan. The two of us trading sleep on and off through the night while our PS2 got hot running the 24 hour and trying to get all the colors of the Polyphony Formula's. The amazement of 100% game completion and getting that elusive great prize the Black Formula and many many more to remember. Thanks for the memories Kaz and do it right in GT7 ! :cheers:

Mazda 787B Race car '91 (Special Black).jpg
Nissan R92CP Race Car '92 (Special Black).jpg
Nissan R390 GT1 Race Car '98 (Special Black).jpg
Toyota GT-ONE Race Car (TS020) '99 (Special Black).jpg
Dead Tree Monkey.JPG
Farm Animals.JPG
Forest Fire.JPG
Glitch With Two Pool Girls.JPG
Grand Canyon Photographers.JPG
GT Flying Blimp.JPG
Honda Robot.JPG
Jets Fly Over With Colored Smoke.JPG
Lock Ness Monster With Peeing Fisherman.JPG
LV Spinning Planet Hollywood Sign.JPG
View attachment 880944
Moving Escalators And People.JPG
Nike One Morse Code Backwards Phil Frank.Com.JPG
Nür Road Graffiti.JPG
Snow Walkers And Wonderers.JPG
Tahitian Jets With Disappearing Contrails.JPG
Tall Dead Standing Tree.JPG
The Honda S2000 LM Race Car With Two Car Numbers 30 & 33.jpg
The Race Licenses With Kaz's Signature.jpg
Strange Rock Faces.jpg
Formula Gran Turismo (Black Game Completion  Award Car).JPG
Formula Gran Turismo (Blue Castrol Livery).jpg
Formula Gran Turismo (Blue White Castrol Livery).jpg
Formula Gran Turismo (Green Red White Castrol Livery).jpg
Formula Gran Turismo (Green Yellow Castrol Livery).jpg
Formula Gran Turismo (Orange Castrol Livery).jpg
Formula Gran Turismo (Red Castrol Livery).jpg
Formula Gran Turismo (Silver Black Castrol Livery).jpg
Formula Gran Turismo (White Mobil Livery).jpg
Formula Gran Turismo (White Pinkish Purple Castrol Livery).jpg
Formula Gran Turismo (Yellow Black Castrol Livery).jpg
Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04.jpg

Last edited:
This thread has sure brought back a flood of memories for my grandson and I. Remembering the two player battles we had, the thrill we had of searching and finding all those Easter Eggs, Glitches, and other cool finds. And... counting down the days 'till those hidden blacks showed up in the used car dealerships. Even the disappointment of only having enough money credits to buy one or two of them and having to wait another 600+ days. Yelling at the TV set and the heart pounding battle of trying to get that Mercedes to finally win at Nordschleife. The city lights of Paris and Hong Kong, the evening sunsets of Seattle, and finally getting to race at El Capitan. The two of us trading sleep on and off through the night while our PS2 got hot running the 24 hour and trying to get all the colors of the Polyphony Formula's. The amazement of 100% game completion and getting that elusive great prize the Black Formula and many many more to remember. Thanks for the memories Kaz and do it right in GT7 ! :cheers:

View attachment 880928 View attachment 880928 View attachment 880930 View attachment 880931 View attachment 880934 View attachment 880935 View attachment 880936 View attachment 880937 View attachment 880938 View attachment 880939 View attachment 880940 View attachment 880941 View attachment 880942 View attachment 880943 View attachment 880945 View attachment 880946 View attachment 880947 View attachment 880948 View attachment 880949 View attachment 880950 View attachment 880951 View attachment 880952 View attachment 880953 View attachment 880968 View attachment 880954 View attachment 880955 View attachment 880956 View attachment 880957 View attachment 880958 View attachment 880959 View attachment 880960 View attachment 880961 View attachment 880962 View attachment 880963 View attachment 880964

Fantastic post. I can feel your enthusiasme.

Just like with Gran Turismo 3. Gran Turismo 4 was one of the best in the series and I pre-ordered it back in 2005 when it came out in the UK at the time. Sarthe Circuit was my number 1 favourite and the Sauber C9 was a great car although I always stuck with the Toyota GT-One Race Car '99 for the Le Mans modern races. Although there was more rivals that could match this car unlike in GT3 where there was only the Mazda 787B and the Nissan R390 GT1 that rivalled this car for speed. There is more competition from Audi, Bentley, Piscarolo and the BMW V12 which is a good thing to have a diverse range of cars in the game. I think the only downside with the Toyota GT One Race Car in GT3/GT4 was that the sounds were aliased to the Jaguar V12 engine that is used in the XJ220 which although incorrect for the TS020/Gt One. It sounded nicer on the ears but this was fixed in GT5 where it had the more realistic sounds but it no longer dominated the races like it had in past GT games. That made me come back to GT3/GT4 as the lack of power and the odd sounds in GT5 didn't have the same enjoyment like in these two games. I sometimes wonder if Polophony Digital ported GT4 to the PC like Activision did with Spyro and Crash Bandicoot that GT4 would sell well if remastered for the Unreal Engine? I think it would be great if it supported the Steam controller and the range of steering wheels and a PC version of Gran Turismo 4 would be a good way for Polyphony Digital to dip their toe in the PC gaming market.

Last edited:
Just another quick point... imho the best rally racing and circuits thereof offered of any of the other GT series. I sure wish like others mentioned it could be remastered to play on the PS3 or 4... I’d buy that in a heartbeat.

GT4 Toyota TS020.png

Just a screenshot of my favourite car. As for the cash I have earned. I just did all the gold licences and the driving missions so fourth and I will just use prize cars to win most of the races until I earn enough to buy this beauty ;).

Still the only one I play. Have bought all the others, but there's just something about this one that makes it special.
Just started a new game, ah, the memories.

Yep... Was the best in the GT Series imho and a remarkable feat for it's day. I remember getting excited when seeing some things for the first time back then before the "Code" rage took hold. Just being able to get one of the Special Blacks cause of money credits being short was a thrill and kept us coming back for more and more over the years. And, what about those fun Easter Eggs and other discoveries that showed up as time went along when folks here first discovered them and mentioned it on this forum. How about getting those Special Colored Cars and Midnight Purples for the first time and also being able to put on comfort tires to see some cars were changed over to White Wall And Red Wall Tires. I remember B-Spec'g the 24Hr Nur for hours and days on end to get all the Formula GT colors hoping that the next Formula prize car was not a color I already had lol. Was even the same with other race cars that had multiple colors and numbers. I've always thought it had that Christmas kinda feeling to it in the truest spirit of Gran Turismo. I think this retro GT is becoming more and more popular again as time passes. I already posted many photos in this thread, some of which I mentioned in this post. Here's some more photos which are that of the Special Colors And Special Tires...

Aston Martin DB9 Coupe '03 (Super Gold).JPG
Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (C1) '54 (Large White Walls).JPG
Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (C2) '63 (Medium White Walls).JPG
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray L46 350 (C3) '69 (Thin Red Lines).JPG
Citroën 2CV Type-A '54 (Peche).JPG
Daihatsu STORIA X4 '00 (Emerald Green Metallic).JPG
Ford FOCUS RS '02 (Small White Walls).JPG
Honda LIFE STEP VAN '72 (Medium White Walls).JPG
Isuzu 117 Coupe '68 (Maple Orange).JPG
Mazda Carol 360 Deluxe '62 (Medium White Walls).JPG
Mercury Cougar XR-7 '67 (Small White Walls).JPG
MGF '97 (Yellow).JPG