Gran Turismo 4 Celebrates its 15th Birthday Today

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 4' started by GTPNewsWire, Dec 28, 2019.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. MikeV27

MikeV27 Premium

This game was peak Gran Turismo for me, the PS2 era was great.

3. EDK

EDK Moderator

This was the best GT game for me. GT Sport is second best.

PS3 era had its moments, but the mainline games were sloppily executed.

4. XJ40

XJ40

I've dug the ps2 out for some classic gta games, namely San Andrea's and Vice City, but picked up a copy of gt4 for £2.50... And I've actually been playing that more than the others. I like the old school tuning method to get that extra few hp for the limited credits I have just now, and although the graphics are interesting, I'm loving it.
    @Famine I haven't seen that disc art before, is it a special edition?

Nismonath5, Alex p., ukmalb and 2 others like this.
  5. RetroJohan

RetroJohan Premium

This was my first Gran Turismo game. I remember I was on an online game store and wanted something new. I was always looking up the same games. like Need For Speed for example, Then I thought I check out this racing game that the store had a promotion banner on. When I read the information about the game I was mind blown, over 700 cars, 50 tracks. :drool:

6. Famine

Famine Administrator

Japanese day one edition. Seemed appropriate :D

7. Evandro

Evandro

GT4 was the one that really got me into the Gran Turismo world. I went crazy after learning I could drive in Nurburgring. Even though I do not own a PS2 anymore, I kept my GT4 copy (and its sibling Tourist Trophy).

8. RustyCitroen

RustyCitroen

Turning 17 on the same day as my favorite game of all time. Still play it now and then :)

Alex p. and 2_FAST_4_U like this.
  9. DingoDile

DingoDile

Gran Turismo 3 was my first GT, but it was Gran Turismo 4 that made me a GT fan. An amazing game with lots of things to do and a HUGE list of cars and tracks with great diversity.
    It's still the ultimate GT for me!

10. Jump_Ace

Jump_Ace Staff Emeritus

GT4 is the 2nd best game of all time to me. Going to live LAN races all over the west coast and WRSing with a great community, not to mention the vast content.

Jerome

Alex p., I-Runner, elston87 and 4 others like this.
  11. Cowboy

Cowboy Premium

I remember I was in 8th grade and my dad brought this game home from a pawn shop for me to play. My first car was a blue '91 R32 GTS Skyline, and was in awe at how many unique cars there were in the game (looking at you Toyota Triathlon :lol:). While it's not my favorite GT, it's still a game I can go back to and have a ton of fun with.

Nismonath5, Alex p., Ddkklop and 2 others like this.
  12. MidnightRush

MidnightRush

I still remember when I traded most of my PS2 games in the lead-up to GT4 at Gamestop and picking it up for free when I preordered it. I was so excited to play this and it ends up as one of my all time favorite racers. I remember getting easy money through earning and selling the Toyota RSC Rally Raid Car over and over again. lol

Gran Turismo 4 is the game that introduced me to the Green Hell :bowdown:

13. 2_FAST_4_U

2_FAST_4_U

How fast time flies by... My favorite game of all time bare none. 15 years wow and it took me almost all those years to get the 100% percent Black Polyphony Formula !

9386B83A-14ED-4C06-AD7F-B3CD1A0D9A3C.jpeg

14. Nismonath5

Nismonath5 Premium

I recall booting up GT4 for the first time and swearing black and blue that video game graphics could not get any better than this.

I still hold firm that some mega rich gearhead should make a real life Motorland. Might not be a race track per se, but I used to absolutely love lapping it for hours on end. Still do!

Alex p., Rotorist, Coquico and 6 others like this.
  15. Raphaele

Raphaele Premium

Not having been a gamer before, I purchased GT4 along with PS2 just for practice at Nürburgring Nordschleife. I already had real Ring experience and didn't want to loose all of it. Worked well for me. Above that, I have become a passionate car photographer thanks to the photomode. Learning in GT4 turned out well in real life – photography AND driving.
    With GT5 I launched my personal Stage II: debut membership in gtplanet. And had even more pleasure with the game – thanks to all of those kind guys in this great community!
    :gtpflag:
    Still missing Citta di Aria, Amalfi Coast, Cathedral Rocks Trail and El Capitan, Chamonix, Paris and Jumping Seattle!

Alex p., JacoJa, michaelxm5 and 13 others like this.
  16. sgohsixthree

sgohsixthree Premium

When I realized I could output the game in HD resolution on my brand new 32" Sony Wega HD CRT I was blown away. GT4 sealed my love racing games moving forward.

17. Mr Fahrenheit

Mr Fahrenheit

Happy birthday to GT4! One of my favorite racing game growing up.

I still remember how I blew my entire starting money on a crappy Hyundai hatchback (which, to be fair, had racing stripes on it), and I had to call my dad for help because I couldn't win anything with it.

mastergracie, AlexDB9 and 2_FAST_4_U like this.
  18. EDK

EDK Moderator

You know it.

I lived in California and visited Connecticut to drive LAN!

And never would have met my GT cousin Jerome without it. ;)

superwally, Alex p., Rotorist and 4 others like this.
  19. neddyie118

neddyie118

I still got my original copy not long after I got Enthusia on PS2.

Alex p., 2_FAST_4_U and AlexDB9 like this.
  20. Oberdan

Oberdan

The GT4 had Mode B (autopilot), a vast list of cars, original circuits and streets, for the larger and longer Test Course than Stage Rouge.
    Hopefully, even if you haven't repeated your previous success, you have cloudy rain conditions.
    Enable real race mode with pace cars in track conditions Follow the
    classic and passenger cars with race cars and bring more original tracks as the street is very bad.

Alex p. and 2_FAST_4_U like this.
  21. Razamataz

Razamataz

The yardstick to which all other Gran Turismo's are measured by. Some of the original circuits in this game were just superb. Imagine how a current gen El Capitan would look!

22. XJ40

XJ40

My favourite corner on this circuit is the overhill right hander after the tunnel. I'm always trying to keep it over 100mph there, but it's a challenge :lol:

Edit: should have mentioned the circuit, El Capitan

23. George Jakob

George Jakob

Oh boy where do i begin with this... my father bought this game a bit after release and from the intro alone i was in love with it i remember my father spending countless hours on the licenses alone specifically on IA-15 i saw the ring for the first time and while my father was cursing the safety car i was like ":eek: is that real?" or laughing at the coffee breaks :lol:. Basides that i was messing around in the dealerships looking at cars and then new to me brands like ASL Holden etc and taking shifts on Endurance races . However when i was big enough to play on my own the save corrupted itself not once not twice ... 5 times! and then the disk gave up ok big deal i bought a new one :tup: not once not twice 5 times! (Again) brand new but the PS2 simply refused to read them .
    Regardless it was enough of a blast to put it on my favorite of all time list No.1 spot so for that ... Thank you PD!.

24. RolexGTP

RolexGTP

That was the last GT I played and owned and man was it good back in 2004-2005.

Ddkklop, 2_FAST_4_U and AlexDB9 like this.
  25. Auditore

Auditore

Game still looks surprisingly good it also introduced a great ford gt livery and the best version of moon over the castle by a mile

26. markell007

markell007

Wow, Happy birthday Gran Turismo 4!
    It still feels like yesterday when i first saw the intro and thought, this is going to be a long ride!
    I can vividly remember the times when me and my dad did the 24h races, and being so glad when we got the FGT.
    Even though i find GT4 the best out of the series it is actually not my favorite, that place belongs to GT3, 4 a close second with Sport or as i sometimes call it GT7 3rd place.
    The small gripes i had with GT4 was that the save file was quite huge 1.4KB i believe, screen tearing with slowdown at some of the tracks and half of the tracks were really lacking in color. Outside those things i felt it was pretty much perfect, plus i still play it 15 years later!

27. PSN:And-War

PSN:And-War

Hands down my fav

Ddkklop, 2_FAST_4_U and EDK like this.
  28. Lukanyon

Lukanyon

My favorite GT of all time and the second I've played (the first was GT1). I've been playing racing games since I was 3, but none of them had made me get interested about cars and motorsports. GT4 changed it all for me, and I'm thankful for that. :D

29. greenlightning

greenlightning

I believe that GT4 was the version that only had certain cars available in used car dealer ship and then only certain colors. Frustrating, but at the same time kept me booting up the game as option as possible. To get those specific cars and colors.

GT4 was certainly great. I spoiled the fun for myself by getting one of those cheat disc that gave you basically unlimited credits. This was more towards the end though after playing it for 1.5 to 2 years. Then also using cheat codes to build special modified cars.

One of the great ones, good track selection, great car selection.

GT6 at the end towards last add on content might of been approaching same status.

30. Nismonath5

Nismonath5 Premium

Most main GT titles have used car dealers that worked that way. The only exceptions are GT3, GT6 and Sport.

2_FAST_4_U and AlexDB9 like this.