Gran turismo 4 online public beta?!?!?!?!

• Thread starter jmoore89
  • 65 comments
United States
Elizabeth City
I just went to gamestop to buy a copy of my all-time favorite game gran turismo 4. I hapily paid $3.99 for it with a smile and brought it home. Went to go play it and when i got to the main menu it said online but to be honest at that moment i didn't even think twice about it...so i continued to start a new game...this is where things got funky..the game started me with 110,000,000 dollars and every car there was already in my garage...i then restarted the system and got the same result...come to find out on the front of the disc it says in an online public beta and not for resale. I did a little research and yes i now know what it is. 4700 made in japan none released to the states and i found it at a gamestop in elizabeth city North Carolina haha. BUT my question is how many of these are left and is it worth anything? have i found a gem or i am completley overexxagerating.

That's awesome! However, public means public, so it's probably not that rare.

Last edited:
This public beta for Gran Turismo 4 Online (GT4OL) was freely shipped to 4,700 selected GranTurismo.com members from Japan and 300 from South Korea to collaborate as "test players". <<<<<thats wikipedia information. Ill take picures in a moment just eating dinner real quick.

im sorry but i have a mac and maybe that is the reason but i cannot upload it keeps saying invalid file. you can look at the link or just google gran turismo 4 online beta. I have played it nothing seems different besides that i have every single vehicle in the game and pretty much infinite money.....It is cool but its killing wondering if what i have might be worth something and i shouldnt be playing it.

Wow, very nice! You're pretty lucky to get one of those.

I'd say they're definitely worth a good amount of money, but I would keep it, it's quite valuable.

Let's not overreact... I assume the thing isn't mint, and definitely not new or unopened.

Yes, it's worth more than a regular copy of GT4, but I definitely wouldn't say it's "quite valuable".

Either way, I think it's awesome that you were lucky enough to buy that! There aren't that many of those discs around.

Well that answers that question lol. Hmmm im guessing there is no way to truely find out what this is worth...i checked ebay and could find a single one and i went through them ALL...hmm maybe someone will come along that has seen one sell somewhere and give me an idea. either way this was a pretty awesome find today and i can drive any vehicle i want to right off the bat haha

Wikipedia
Gran Turismo 4 Online test version (&#12464;&#12521;&#12531;&#12484;&#12540;&#12522;&#12473;&#12514; 4 &#12458;&#12531;&#12521;&#12452;&#12531;&#23455;&#39443;&#12496;&#12540;&#12472;&#12519;&#12531; Guran Ts&#363;risumo 4 Onlain J&#299;ken B&#257;shyon?) is a free 2006 PlayStation 2 game by Polyphony Digital. This is a limited edition of the 2004/2005 racing game Gran Turismo 4 (GT4) featuring extra online services that were removed from the standard game due to some issues and a lack of time as the game had been delayed several times. Selecting the extra "Online" mode leads to the "Online Home" that features additional game modes, "Quick Race", "Tuned Car Race", "Private Race" (that requires a password) and "Time Attack". "News" inform about the availability for the online courses or special events, with limited date and time. Public online services ended on September 1, 2006.

This public beta for Gran Turismo 4 Online (GT4OL) was freely shipped to 4,700 selected "GranTurismo.com" members from Japan and 300 from South Korea to collaborate as "test players". Online services lasted three months from June 1 to September 1, 2006 and included 6-player "Competition" (&#23550;&#25126;, taisen), Time Trial, chat (mail message and microphone communication), and an Internet ranking chart was available in the game's website.

This test was not intended to precede a Gran Turismo 4 Online full scale release but instead to be used as a way to develop and test online features and structures for the upcoming Gran Turismo 5 on the PlayStation 3 system. Besides the 5,000 test players, seven special guests were invited to test Gran Turismo 4 Online. First, a special event named "Top Racer Battle" (&#12488;&#12483;&#12503;&#12524;&#12540;&#12469;&#12540;BATTLE) was staged in the Polyphony Digital headquarters on August 17. Six drivers from the JGTC Japanese championship entered the game's online multiplayer "Competition" mode.

Motoyama won the test round, a 5-lap Fuji Speedway 2005 race with the drivers' respective JGTC GT500 cars. The actual Top Racer Battle though, a 10-lap Tsukuba Circuit one make race onboard a Mazda Roadster 1600 NR-A '04, was won by Ryo Michigami. Later from August 25 to September 5, 2006, Kazunori Yamauchi the Gran Turismo series producer (re)invited two Japanese and two European professional racing drivers sponsored by PlayStation to enter GT4OL's Time Attack mode Internet ranking chart and, either to challenge him or another guest in a versus race, either to compete with five test drivers in a 8~10 rounds multiplayer online competition called "trophy".

The first guest was Super GT GT500 Nissan Motul Pitwork Z driver Satoshi Motoyama (Top Racer Battle challenger), he entered the dedicated "Motoyama Trophy", a 2-lap 10 races online multiplayer competition, and won three rounds. Second guest specially came from France, Sébastien Loeb, LeMans 2005 PlayStation Pescarolo C60 Judd LMP Race Car '04 driver and WRC champion, he set a new Time Attack Internet record on the 24 Hours of Le Mans' Circuit de la Sarthe I ("Loeb Special Attack") and defeated Kazunori Yamauchi in their Pescarolo Online Time Attack duel on the same circuit (Internet rank 10th vs 11th). The last guests were both Top Racer Battle challengers, one is Ryo Michigami, Super GT GT500 Honda Takata Dome NSX driver, the other is Michael Krumm, GT500 Nissan Motul Pitwork Z driver. They competed with each other in a versus battle then entered a special trophy similar to Motoyama's.

Seems to me my disc could of been owned by a very important person lol. The city i live in is pretty much all military and im assuming thats how it got to me in the states.

Nice find! Perhaps you could upload some YT videos of it? It's cool that you found something like this.

The disc you have will give you a guaranteed profit if you sell it because I just bought GT4 (regular disc) half a year ago and it was worth $20 but you got it for $4. I wouldn't sell it if I were you because getting all of the cars yourself would take a really long time because of the used car showroom being updated so often.

yea i was wondering if maybe there were a few more add-ons and maybe a few cars are different...going to take some time but ill go through them all

UPDATE for the people working with me here...to make this more complicated its not one that was released in japan the discs look different than mine my disc specifically says it was released to the US becuase where it says NTSC is says U/C which is for united states and canada..so how many came here? doesnt seem to be any information at all...anywhere.

I knew of the online demo for Asia, but this raises further questions. I wonder is this is a one off, extremely rare, promotional or whatever. If this a North American demo, how many were made? Questions only get raised more.

Well i cant find anything online about any being released in the states and apparently thats what i have...BUT i did do a 6 minute lap on the nurburghring in the polyphony digital indy car haha that was a blast..

EDIT* wondering if XENN or any other moderators would maybe post this somewhere in the GT5 forum seeing as theres a butt load of people in there and possibly one of them may have some knowledge on this..and sorry i just noticed you said *car searching not hows the search coming...umm i have a alot of cars that are all blacked out that look pretty cool and a few playstation palmarado cars or something like that ill update you soon and try to get some pictures

Last edited:
Mystery = Solved

It was released as a Beta in the United States. It is very rare. Proof:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/711/711082p1.html

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-23048.html

http://forum.redump.org/topic/3827/addedps2-gran-turismo-4-online-public-beta/

http://codemasters-project.net/members/Skiller/Elflist/NTSC.htm

http://www.sonyindex.com/Pages/SCUS-97436.htm

GT4_Disc_pic_1.png

GT4_Disc_pic_2.png

As you can see by these pictures, it is a NTSC-U/C disc. NTSC is the region code for both the US and Japan. However a NTSC-U/C means United States and Canada, and NTSC-J means Japan.

The disc code "SCUS 97436" is basically the game's ID number. If you google it, you'll get results.

Here is all information on one of the discs if anyone would care to do further research:

Game Title: Gran Turismo 4 Online Public Beta
Disk ID: SCUS 97436
EXE Date: 5/30/2006 9:17:31
Version: 1.00
Game Languages: English
Image Size: 2654109696
Edition: Original
Ring Code: PDSS-015245A1 1
MD5: 3306538778dda2ded87ceaf52c944a98
SHA1: ca992321f7e1bfb2ef983820e2e3626850c0ae16
CRC: e8bf4147
emule: c7b539c0ffb932043220e77b2c39c1d8