Gran turismo 4 online public beta?!?!?!?!

• Thread starter jmoore89
  • 65 comments
WOW thankyou very much for helping me do my homework. I guess i shall start trying to find a collector, assumably to the right one this could bring alot more than what i paid for it =p ....and what do you think, im guessing there were even less that were released in the states judging from the way that article was wrote..

WOW thankyou very much for helping me do my homework. I guess i shall start trying to find a collector, assumably to the right one this could bring alot more than what i paid for it =p

Did it come with the manual? That would make it much more valuable...

nope i got it out of those piles of playstation 2 games that sell for $5 or less at gamestop that dont have cases. We have confirmed the japan editions had cases but im yet to see a case for the american online beta...

nope i got it out of those piles of playstation 2 games that sell for $5 or less at gamestop that dont have cases. We have confirmed the japan editions had cases but im yet to see a case for the american online beta...

The American versions didn't come with cases (just plastic sleeves) but they did come with a large book.

It's hard to say because of how unknown it is. I never knew they did a US Public Beta until today...

well apparently theres at least one and i'm starting to think i'm the only one with it. I e-mailed sony and they transfered me to another person i'm sending another e-mail out now.

If this is a one off and you got it, wow. Keep digging. I'm sure there's more than just one of these.

I foundd someone with a copy on a different website the thread started in 2009 and the last post on it is from last month im going to ask him whats its worth and if he has any more info on it...ill keep everyone posted.

Alright guys well lucky enough the other owner of this copy was last online 5hours ago so i should hear back from him soon! Anticipation is killing me! ha

3000 apllicants applied for this beta and only so many recieved it...only playstation underground members were allowed to apply for it....took me while to track down the information but i finally found it...so yes its probally the rarest gt4 to ever be released.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I recently was fortunate enough to get copies of both the Japanese and American versions of this beta. I figure some people may be interested to see more of this relatively unknown bit of GT history.

US: http://imgur.com/a/OsVJU

Japan: http://imgur.com/a/OT9Yj

As far as I'm aware the US applicants simply got the sealed disc, while Japan got theirs in a typical PS2 box with cover art and a short manual (at least that's how it is with my copies).

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I recently was fortunate enough to get copies of both the Japanese and American versions of this beta. I figure some people may be interested to see more of this relatively unknown bit of GT history.

US: http://imgur.com/a/OsVJU

Japan: http://imgur.com/a/OT9Yj

As far as I'm aware the US applicants simply got the sealed disc, while Japan got theirs in a typical PS2 box with cover art and a short manual (at least that's how it is with my copies).

Am I so jealous at you right now. :D

Am I so jealous at you right now. :D

Ha, if you're willing to cough up a bit of cash you can probably get a Japanese one for $30ish, shipping and all. I bought mine for $10 on Yahoo Auctions Japan using a third party service, and spent quite a bit more on shipping and fees. Keep an eye open on there and you can probably find one.

The US version is much harder to find. Most of my GT collection has been amassed through eBay, but besides the GT4 Japanese Beta the US copy was my only purchase made with someone on a forum. I paid quite a bit too much at $50ish, but it's the only time in a few years I saw it for sale, and it was sealed too!

In case you or anyone is interested, here's a link to my collection as of February 1st. Both of the betas came after, and I have a second copy of GT4 BMW 1 Series Beta and the Gran Turismo 1 Test Drive disc on the way.
http://imgur.com/a/1hwfq

Ha, if you're willing to cough up a bit of cash you can probably get a Japanese one for $30ish, shipping and all. I bought mine for $10 on Yahoo Auctions Japan using a third party service, and spent quite a bit more on shipping and fees. Keep an eye open on there and you can probably find one.

The US version is much harder to find. Most of my GT collection has been amassed through eBay, but besides the GT4 Japanese Beta the US copy was my only purchase made with someone on a forum. I paid quite a bit too much at $50ish, but it's the only time in a few years I saw it for sale, and it was sealed too!

In case you or anyone is interested, here's a link to my collection as of February 1st. Both of the betas came after, and I have a second copy of GT4 BMW 1 Series Beta and the Gran Turismo 1 Test Drive disc on the way.
http://imgur.com/a/1hwfq
I used to monitor eBay before and I remember seeing GT HD disc for 60 dollars or something, I'd like to buy some of those rare editions if the salary here isn't so low lol.
Also that's a really huge and awesome collection, if I were you I'd insure it or something, it really is special.

Heh, I've been hunting for a GT4O for a while, but I've put my collecting on the back burner for a little while. It looks like this, only with an additional GT6AE:

gtcollection1_1.jpg

Nice collection Famine, I've been wanting to get some of those press kits and special editions, but I always find it hard to justify spending that much at once. I'm not made of money so I have to focus on the smaller things like demos and beta discs :/

Is that a Tokyo-Geneva kit? Nice find, that's one I have never been able to find out in the wild for sale. Also, is that 2 GT4 Press Kits?!

I used to monitor eBay before and I remember seeing GT HD disc for 60 dollars or something, I'd like to buy some of those rare editions if the salary here isn't so low lol.
Also that's a really huge and awesome collection, if I were you I'd insure it or something, it really is special.

Thanks, hopefully I don't need to insure it. But of course I can't hold a candle to some of the gods of GT collecting like Edward_V12. This guy is something else: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?23021-edward_v12-s-GRAN-TURISMO-collection

Also I have a couple of duplicates I may be willing to part with if you want to get a start on a few items. I can avoid outrageous eBay prices too :)

Also I have a couple of duplicates I may be willing to part with if you want to get a start on a few items. I can avoid outrageous eBay prices too :)

Very generous of you but I'm alright, I'd probably sell it after I'd play it because I'm only curious to see what kind of a Gran Turismo build is it, how does it handle and that kind of stuff (and nostalgia's probably got some part in it too).
Keep up building the collection mate 👍

edit: Just curious again, what duplicates do you have?

Very generous of you but I'm alright, I'd probably sell it after I'd play it because I'm only curious to see what kind of a Gran Turismo build is it, how does it handle and that kind of stuff (and nostalgia's probably got some part in it too).
Keep up building the collection mate 👍

edit: Just curious again, what duplicates do you have?

Off the top of my head, I have a few average ones like a Japanese copy of GT3, the red Not for Sale version of GT3 (US), a and Gran Turismo 1 Trial. Oh yeah the BMW 1 Series too.

I have this (US) beta disc with the manual and the original cardboard mailer. I was part of the beta. Just wondering if there is still any interest in this item among collectors. I'm thinking of putting it up on ebay...

Last edited:
I actually wouldn't mind hunting the USA version down to see some hidden content inside, but. I don't think that would be the case here.

1UP has actually got it running! I've played with two others couple runs

I've used one that nukes DNAS, although I think just connecting to his DNS automates it

Thought would never happen

Back