Gran Turismo 5 : Official Multiscreen Review & Setup Guide : 100+ Images

• Thread starter Mr Latte
  • 211 comments
Hello! I've got a multiscreen setup for Forza 3 + GT5. Three 42 inch LG´s (overkill, i know). I'm very disappointed of the GT5 multiscreen quality/performance. Some nights it works ok but like last night it was 1 frame/second :yuck:. I bought the best possible cables and switch + i've got a 20 mb connection. What's wrong? Forza 3 works like a dream every time.

I saw a Top Gear gt5 wishlist of hardware, and it included a curved monitor... has anyone any experience in these things? I think it had some crazy multi hdmi interconnection processing, or something ridiculously clever like that, that meant it got the multiscreen affect on one continuous panel... the thing is, does gt5's multiscreen support a zero border thing? So it leaves no gaps at all between the screens so this curved thing would work?

I recall seeing one of these big, curved monitors in an article or post on the internet. iirc, it looked and worked very nice, but was crazy heavy and expensive! however, it is a nice way to get rid of the monitor bezels if one could afford it and if it works as well as 3 separate monitors.
:)

edit...did a quick search. here is one of several curved monitors available. it looks like they only equal two regular monitors (2880 x 900 Resolution).
yours for a mere $6,500.00USD! :scared:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...M43_CRVD_43_Curved_Display.html#Specification

Last edited:
Hello! I've got a multiscreen setup for Forza 3 + GT5. Three 42 inch LG´s (overkill, i know). I'm very disappointed of the GT5 multiscreen quality/performance. Some nights it works ok but like last night it was 1 frame/second :yuck:. I bought the best possible cables and switch + i've got a 20 mb connection. What's wrong? Forza 3 works like a dream every time.

That's odd. I have Forza3 and GT5 multiscreen also and I find GT5 to be smoother than Forza. In Forza the AI cars in the side screens can have exaggerated suspension movements and other times one of the side screen seems to be running at half the frame rate as the other two while GT5 has been smooth as silk for me.

Do you have any computers or devices connected to the same switch while you are racing? Are you using any sort of HDMI switch boxes for the cables going from all the consoles to the TV's? Have you cleared the cache in GT5 on all the systems?

Excellent post. I've already got a triple screen setup for Forza and am really considering going for this one too if it ever works with the career and online racing. Can't wait for your next post since that's the info I'm really looking for :)

To the guys talking about the curved display, everyone I've seen has had only one input and requires a PC that supports the high resolutions to work, so it wouldn't work with consoles unless you found one that had separate inputs for each section of the screen. If you really want a curved display 3 projectors would be the best option.

Last edited:
I have a question for those of you that have triple monitor setups going. Having gone from single screen to multi-sceen, has your opinion of the games AI changed at all? Are you finding fewer collisions? Are you finding collisions are caused more by your own mistakes or the AI's? I have always thought that while then AI isn't the smartest around, that a majority of my collisions are from having very limited vision of the cars around me and not as much them driving like idiots. So, what do you think?

That's odd. I have Forza3 and GT5 multiscreen also and I find GT5 to be smoother than Forza. In Forza the AI cars in the side screens can have exaggerated suspension movements and other times one of the side screen seems to be running at half the frame rate as the other two while GT5 has been smooth as silk for me.

Do you have any computers or devices connected to the same switch while you are racing? Are you using any sort of HDMI switch boxes for the cables going from all the consoles to the TV's? Have you cleared the cache in GT5 on all the systems?

We've got a 20mb adsl connection. There's a a long (10 meter) cable that goes from the adsl modem to the switch in my game room. There's 8 ports in the switch. 3 for the xbox's and 3 for the ps3's. I tried to remove the xbox cables while racing and it didn't have no affection to the performance + it was after 1am and there wasn't any other devices on at the same time. I gotta try the cache thing.

I have a question for those of you that have triple monitor setups going. Having gone from single screen to multi-sceen, has your opinion of the games AI changed at all? Are you finding fewer collisions? Are you finding collisions are caused more by your own mistakes or the AI's? I have always thought that while then AI isn't the smartest around, that a majority of my collisions are from having very limited vision of the cars around me and not as much them driving like idiots. So, what do you think?

I don't know about the AI but the whole game seems a lot better after going multiscreen. It's now a lot easier to see when AI is trying the PIT maneuver again... :dopey:

We've got a 20mb adsl connection. There's a a long (10 meter) cable that goes from the adsl modem to the switch in my game room. There's 8 ports in the switch. 3 for the xbox's and 3 for the ps3's. I tried to remove the xbox cables while racing and it didn't have no affection to the performance + it was after 1am and there wasn't any other devices on at the same time. I gotta try the cache thing.

Is the switch you are using a 100Mbps switch or a 1000Mbps switch? I am using a 1000Mbps switch. I have noticed when I use the Xbox's, the switch is indicating that the Xboxes are connecting together at just 100Mbps, while the PS3's are indicating they are connecting together at 1000Mbps. The switch sits right next to my race setup while the cable going from the switch to my router is about 75 feet running under my house. I would not think the connection from your switch to your router would have any effect on the PS3's connecting togther.

Is the switch you are using a 100Mbps switch or a 1000Mbps switch? I am using a 1000Mbps switch. I have noticed when I use the Xbox's, the switch is indicating that the Xboxes are connecting together at just 100Mbps, while the PS3's are indicating they are connecting together at 1000Mbps. The switch sits right next to my race setup while the cable going from the switch to my router is about 75 feet running under my house. I would not think the connection from your switch to your router would have any effect on the PS3's connecting togther.

It's a 1000Mbps switch. I think the light is green when it's on "full steam" and yellow when it's under 1000. The lights are always green for both setups. Sometimes when the performance is bad, even the wireless connection is faster.:confused:

Once again thanks guys...

Interesting to hear of a lag problem, I've not had such at all.
Salo 70 some questions to try and understand your issue.

Are you running the screens on independent setting or same as server?
Each console has the game installed?
You were logged into PSN at the time on each console?

I have not had very many issues at all and Ive played a LOT of tracks/cars in Arcade Mode for the review.

Could you please tell us what distance you prefer to sit from your centre screen. I know we may all have our own preferences but I'd like to get an idea of owners settings if possible and your preferred FOV. This would give others an idea or group of settings that could be handy if they do invest in such.

Had a funeral to attend today so will get stuck into furthering the review on Sunday.

I have not had very many issues at all and Ive played a LOT of tracks/cars in Arcade Mode for the review.

Could you please tell us what distance you prefer to sit from your centre screen. I know we may all have our own preferences but I'd like to get an idea of owners settings if possible and your preferred FOV. This would give others an idea or group of settings that could be handy if they do invest in such.

Had a funeral to attend today so will get stuck into furthering the review on Sunday.

Hello Mr Latte! I use the server settings for the clients. The clients are not logged into PSN, because i thought it reduces the traffic. Each console has the game installed. I sit too close (1,5 meters). 3×42 inch tv equals 126 inches! But it also makes it very realistic, almost the size of a real cockpit. I use 100% FOV + narrow setting. I've invested way too much money for my setup (Fanatec 911 GT2, Clubsport pedals, Playseat GT, 6 consoles, 3 LG's, 5.1 headphones + i recently ordered a Buttkicker Gamer 2), but who's counting!

I am using 3x 25" 16:9 aspect ratio PC monitors (I-Inc brand). I sit 20" away from the center monitor. My side monitors are angled at 58 degrees so I am using 115 degree Angle of Screen Curvature, 7% Monitor Frame Border and 100% Angle of View and I use the Zoom Interior View Angle. Clients are set independently.

1 new 160GB slim PS3 for server
2 used 40GB fat PS3's for clients
1 Eight port 1000Mbps switch
Playseat Evolution cockpit
Fanatec Porsche Turbo S wheel
Fanatec Club Sport Pedals
Buttkicker 2 mounted under Playseat with custom made mount with vibration dampeners to send vibrations to my butt and not the floor
Tritton AX720 Headset
Optical switchbox to choose audio source (Xbox, PS3 or PC)
USB switch so I can use my wireless keyboard & mouse with consoles and PC with a press of a switch
Old Klipsch 4.1 Sound system
RCA plug switch box so I can choose analog speaker audio source (Xbox, PS3 or PC)
Three Xbox's for Forza 3
PC with Nvidia SLI Surround for triple screen PC racing (LFS & iRacing)
And a whole ton of HDMI and various other cables!

My monitors and consoles sit atop an old fold out table I used to use for RC car racing. It has had 3/4 boards bolted to the top to expand the table to fit the monitors and it is chained to the floor to keep it from falling over. My Playseat is U-bolted to the floor so it does not flex and allows me to move it forward or backwards. The setup is not as pretty as the expensive ones, but it allows me to adjust the side monitor angles from 0 to 60 degress.

Hello Mr Latte! I use the server settings for the clients. The clients are not logged into PSN, because i thought it reduces the traffic. Each console has the game installed. I sit too close (1,5 meters). 3×42 inch tv equals 126 inches! But it also makes it very realistic, almost the size of a real cockpit. I use 100% FOV + narrow setting. I've invested way too much money for my setup (Fanatec 911 GT2, Clubsport pedals, Playseat GT, 6 consoles, 3 LG's, 5.1 headphones + i recently ordered a Buttkicker Gamer 2), but who's counting!

Try putting them on independant to see if that helps. Keep us posted if it happens often or again. Oh and sounds like a nice setup.

If your using 3x42" Screens.
42" x1.5 = 63"
1.5 Metre is approx 59" so thats close to the 3x Screen height or 1.5x Screen size and allow +6 or -6" for personal tastes. Im trying to find a way to calculate this for "Full Peripheral" of all screens for those that want it. 1.5x screen size seems to be close.

I am using 3x 25" 16:9 aspect ratio PC monitors (I-Inc brand). I sit 20" away from the center monitor. My side monitors are angled at 58 degrees so I am using 115 degree Angle of Screen Curvature, 7% Monitor Frame Border and 100% Angle of View and I use the Zoom Interior View Angle. Clients are set independently.

Again nice system. Wow sitting 20" away from 3x24" does seem indeed very close but then you are using double the angle of screen curvature and degrees as I do. That seems along with the offical settings. Are you not finding you have to turn your head alot as at 20" distance Id assume that would only give you approx 1/3 of the Left/Right screen in your vision.

I know that can still be enough to benefit from apex accuracy and seeing upcoming corners within the 1/3 of the other screens but curious if you have tried something closer to Raudi is using. Perhaps your used to that when using PCs in triple screen though but would be good to hear how you think GT5 is in triple screens compared to PC.

Hope the other guys including Stega post their settings and guys if you want feel free to upload images of your setups. I bet followers of this thread will like that.

Happy Driving !

Last edited:
It's a 1000Mbps switch. I think the light is green when it's on "full steam" and yellow when it's under 1000. The lights are always green for both setups. Sometimes when the performance is bad, even the wireless connection is faster.:confused:

Not all switches are built equally. They all follow the standards for connecting at 1000Mbps but the amount of on board buffer memory and the processor can have different bottlenecks as far as throughput speeds for routing the traffic through those ports. Manufacturer A's 8-port gigabit switch may be capable of 80Mbps sustained throughput while Manufacturer B's 8-port gigabit switch may be capable of 140Mbps sustained throughput.

Not all switches are built equally. They all follow the standards for connecting at 1000Mbps but the amount of on board buffer memory and the processor can have different bottlenecks as far as throughput speeds for routing the traffic through those ports. Manufacturer A's 8-port gigabit switch may be capable of 80Mbps sustained throughput while Manufacturer B's 8-port gigabit switch may be capable of 140Mbps sustained throughput.

Last night the action was silky smooth when i removed all the other ethernet cables (one to tv and one to pc) from my adsl modem. Maybe the pc is somehow messing it up even if it's turned off.

This is a really great thread! Major respect for the work that went into it, I'll surely find this very useful soon. 👍

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a 3 screen setup, but need some advice regarding 24" monitors, does anyone have any recommendations for a fairly priced 24" monitor with a slim bezel? Any input from people that have a similar setup and hands on experience would be welcome. :)

This is a really great thread! Major respect for the work that went into it, I'll surely find this very useful soon. 👍

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a 3 screen setup, but need some advice regarding 24" monitors, does anyone have any recommendations for a fairly priced 24" monitor with a slim bezel? Any input from people that have a similar setup and hands on experience would be welcome. :)

You can pick up a iiyama 2409HDS for around £140 quid if you look around. I bought two and have no complaints. Will be picking up a third in the near future so all my monitors are the same.

Has anyone else noticed that shadows seem to be vastly improved in the two side monitors? Much less jagged than the centre display.

This is awesome! Though I can't help but hate the fact that you have have 3 ps3's/discs to do it and you have to do it for interior view to be worth anything...

Last night the action was silky smooth when i removed all the other ethernet cables (one to tv and one to pc) from my adsl modem. Maybe the pc is somehow messing it up even if it's turned off.

So you are using a DSL modem with built-in switch? That is probably the worst possible combination because the outgoing and local network traffic are managed by the same hardware. Simple solution is to buy a standalone switch for your PS3s then all you need to do is run one cable from that switch to a port of the DSL modem/router/switch for all of them to have Internet connectivity. That setup would allow your PC access to the Internet without interfering with the PS3s and for all the PS3s to be active in multi-monitor mode without putting any load on the DSL device.

Again nice system. Wow sitting 20" away from 3x24" does seem indeed very close but then you are using double the angle of screen curvature and degrees as I do. That seems along with the offical settings. Are you not finding you have to turn your head alot as at 20" distance Id assume that would only give you approx 1/3 of the Left/Right screen in your vision.

I know that can still be enough to benefit from apex accuracy and seeing upcoming corners within the 1/3 of the other screens but curious if you have tried something closer to Raudi is using. Perhaps your used to that when using PCs in triple screen though but would be good to hear how you think GT5 is in triple screens compared to PC.

When I first built my triple screen setup to use with Forza 3, I went with a more standard side screen angle of 45 degrees and placed the monitors so that the center of each one were equal distance from my eyes. Problem with using 45 degrees in Forza's multiscreen setup is that I couldn't see gauges in most of the cars and the apex of corners were usually in the side screens which I just wasn't used to as I was used to using a FOV of about 69-72 degrees in most racing sims when using a single screen. So to be able to increase the FOV in Forza, you have to use a higher side screen angle or they will be out of alignment. I also didn't feel the immersion was as good as it could be.

So I now use much higher side screen angles in most sims. This allows me to see the gauges and I can see cars right next to me and I can see the full apex of the approaching corner in the center screen and I do have to turn my head to see cars next to me which I think is more realistic. It also gives a better sense of speed since track side objects in the side screens are flying by in my peripheral vision. The drawback to this is that the side screen high angles will make it so the colors don't match the center screen perfectly since I am using PC LCD monitors that need to be viewed head on directly or the colors fade. Maybe TV LCD's would be better to use in this case.

As far as multiscreen viability I would rate it like this. iRacing = LFS > GT5 > Forza 3.

Both iRacing and LFS has excellent multicreen options and are very easy to setup and adjust on the fly. GT5 is superior to Forza 3 because it has more options and replays are in multiscreen which they are not in Forza 3. The only drawback to GT5 multiscreen that I see so far is that you can only adjust Angle of Screen Curvature in 5 degree increments. I wish you could adjust them at 2 or 1 degree increments to fine tune. And you cannot use course maker tracks with GT5 multiscreen.

It is great though that GT5 finally has multiscreen. I only know of 4 racing sims now that truly support multiscreen and two of them are on consoles! Other PC sims like rFactor and F12010 will display in triple screen, but they just stretch the image across the screens which looks bad as they don't render the viewports separately like GT5. You have to use very low FOV degrees for them to look any good.

So you are using a DSL modem with built-in switch? That is probably the worst possible combination because the outgoing and local network traffic are managed by the same hardware. Simple solution is to buy a standalone switch for your PS3s then all you need to do is run one cable from that switch to a port of the DSL modem/router/switch for all of them to have Internet connectivity. That setup would allow your PC access to the Internet without interfering with the PS3s and for all the PS3s to be active in multi-monitor mode without putting any load on the DSL device.

Actually i am using a standalone 8 port switch. Yesterday was a "good connection day" again and i was in gaming heaven with 458 Italia. I can finally admit that GT5 is superior compared to FM3. BUT, the multiscreen is 1000 times easier to use and a LOT smoother on XBOX360.

Nice reading some comments, thanks for the reply FatnSlo.

The 1ST MAJOR UPDATE has been added to the OP.
Lots more info and photos added for the setup and FOV segment.

If you think something else needs added or changed on the first parts please let me know.
2ND and 3RD UPDATES will come later.

Great work man, great work you're putting together. Can we get a better look at the "narrow" setting? I'd like to see what that looks like in all 3 screens.

f5ki2.jpg

Hi, their will be more detailed "cockpit views" and examples of the STD/NAR1/NAR2 shown in the next UPDATE. Their isnt really enough cockpits shown yet.

I love this one...
sAMBel.jpg

lOjTll.jpg

If theirs a particular car you want to see demonstrated this way let me know but do take into account their is so much variation between the Hardware & Quick Options available. I found even 75 which is bang in the middle of the hardware options to be a bit too close for some cars.

Everyone to their own taste I guess.

Latest Posts

Back