Gran Turismo 5 : Official Multiscreen Review & Setup Guide : 100+ Images

• Thread starter Mr Latte
  • 211 comments
Just tried multiscreen on-line for the first time with GT5 and man it is awfull! Side screens out of sync often and they completely disconnected multiple times. I am a bit shocked. FM3 worked great on-line (even better than single player for me) while GT5 is the complete opposite. Guess it's single player only for me with GT5. Pretty gutted. Feel like I wasted my money.
Hallelujah! That's what i've been trying to say. FM3 multiscreen = hasslefree. Sure, GT5 multiscreen has more options. So what, it doesn't work very well. In FM3 the clients ALWAYS connect automatically. I just wish that someday the GT5 multiscreen would also work offline.

Ahh that sucks!...i have almost finished my setup and because mine is in an enclosed sort of pod it has taken me ages to fit the extra screens...

Hallelujah! That's what i've been trying to say. FM3 multiscreen = hasslefree. Sure, GT5 multiscreen has more options. So what, it doesn't work very well. In FM3 the clients ALWAYS connect automatically. I just wish that someday the GT5 multiscreen would also work offline.

It's odd that you have the problem in single player. Single player for me works perfectly. I have yet to see any lag whatsoever while multiplayer just blows. I have tried having the clients PS3 signed in to PSN and tried with them not signed in and the result is the same. Already am debating selling the client PS3's and the GT5 disks as I see no future for me in GT5. Single player in GT5 is just not good enough to justify the investment anymore. I am not a rich person.

Just makes me wish for Forza 4 even more now.

It's odd that you have the problem in single player. Single player for me works perfectly. I have yet to see any lag whatsoever while multiplayer just blows. I have tried having the clients PS3 signed in to PSN and tried with them not signed in and the result is the same. Already am debating selling the client PS3's and the GT5 disks as I see no future for me in GT5. Single player in GT5 is just not good enough to justify the investment anymore. I am not a rich person.

Just makes me wish for Forza 4 even more now.

Let's just hope that they don't **** it up and drop the multiscreen and make it up with some "fun" kinect control system... :indiff: Yeah, the single player lag, i don't know man... i haven't had the balls to try it online yet ...

Last edited:
Finally got everything setup correctly. This has pretty much set the bar for all racing console games to follow. Can really appreciate all the work that went into the game. Seeing the shadows from the trees on the Nurb reflect off of both sides of the R10 is as good as it gets. *The buttkicker works really well with the R10 as well.

For folks reading this thread on the fence, it makes getting close to walls on an exit and passing the AI through tight turns (just do it on the outside) all the fun that it should be.

Glad your finding the fun from the game is really enchanced like I have. I find I can just load a track in Arcade mode and play for lap after lap just enjoying the driving and overtaking. For me their is also loads of life left in GT5 single player and more updates are likely too. Can't agree with fatnslo on that point.

Online does seem to be a problem, I don't play much online but would like to see them in an update fix/improve the issues the other guys are talking about.

Last edited:
The main part is to have the correct ports open in your router to the server PS3.
To be able to set a static IP on your PS3 you have to configure the DHCP service/server settings in the router. How that is done is dependent on the make of the router. There are two ways to set a static IP.

1: Set the IP on all your PS3 and reconfigure the DHCP settings in your router.
2: Record the MAC address on all your PS3. Set the IP in the DHCP settings in your router.
3: Dont forget to open the ports for GT5, only for the server PS3.

screenshot.11-03-2011 12.45.23 by sir.m00ndancer, on Flickr

screenshot.11-03-2011 13.02.21 by sir.m00ndancer, on Flickr

According to the posts above there is no need to have the client PS3 logged into PSN. If that is the case then keep them "offline" to minimize the network traffic on your broadband connection.

One more thing that is good to have is if the router have QoS (Quality of Service) settings I E setting to prioritize traffic to you server PS3. (I have done that to my PC and the PS3 in my house, the wife and kids share the last 10% of the bandwidth when I'm gaming) All settings for QoS is differently implemented in each brand of router. The QoS gives you the ability to allocate most of the bandwidth to one or several computers.
Quality of Service from Wikipedia

Another advice I have is that if you have cable/fibre/adsl with the router provided by our ISP then I would suggest that you buy your own router that you can configure and manage.

I have it configured this way:

Internet-ISP_Router-My_Private_router-LAN

That way I have full control over all the traffic in my LAN. I also had my ISP disable the WIFI on their router.

Need help with the settings? Post here and I see what I can help out with. (If it's settings in your router I suggest doing so thru PM for safety reasons)
General questions and help on where the settings are can be solved here.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Shaweet. Thank you sir

This is my initial setup with 3 X 24" monitors.

P1000230A.JPG

Frame Border 8%
Adjust Screen Angle 85%
Angle of Screen Curvature 70%
Screen distance to my eyes is somewhere near 76 Cm ~ 30 inch.
I started with a closer distance and sharper physical angle but that gave me motion sickness very fast.👎
I'm going to fine tune an other day, first I am going to play for a long time, even the license tests are fun again.

This is the best setup yet!!! Great work. Almost at 100 percent thumbs up. Right now I'm rating this one a 99.9. Ah hell I'll give it the 100 for the simple fact that things may be a bit skewed being it's a photo.

I would love to see a RM Vette or any Vette from the cockpit view

This is the best setup yet!!! Great work. Almost at 100 percent thumbs up. Right now I'm rating this one a 99.9. Ah hell I'll give it the 100 for the simple fact that things may be a bit skewed being it's a photo.

I would love to see a RM Vette or any Vette from the cockpit view

lol, I could have brought you that pleasure a long time ago, as that is pretty much exactly what mine looks like. Been having too much fun playing to take any pics :)

Yeah Im having a bit too much fun as well and the reason the last update hasnt arrived yet.

Triplescreens, T500RS and testing my "Surround Tactile" concept with a combination of 6x Buttkickers/Clarke Tactile units attached to the seat adding even more immersion. :D

Okay the seat doesnt get all LFE tactile at once...
Seat works with surround sound decoding and offers independent:
  • Stereo Tactile
  • Surround Tactile
  • Back Surround Tactile
  • LFE Tactile

Any of you guys that invest in triple screens really should consider "Tactile Immersion".
Some people add a "Buttkicker II" but their are better alternatives and options to take things a lot further and be much more immersive.

Last edited:
Yeah I added a buttkicker to my setup recently and I can vouch for the extra level of immersion they offer. If you're going this far with your setup the extra $120 is most definitely worth it.

There are better bass shakers out there, but the simple plug and play of the buttkicker can't be beat IMO.

On the topic of triple screen GT5, I've decided to hold off for a while :(. I'm still completely satisfied with playing Forza 3 on my 3 screen setup and with the comments about the online not working very well I think I'd end up disappointed. The AI just doesn't compare to actual human opponents.

I've given up on multiscreen. Sold all the extra crap. Too much hassle. GT5 multiscreen was a disappointment to me. I'm going back to 3D GT.

Last edited:
I've given up on multiscreen. Sold all the extra crap. Too much hassle. GT5 multiscreen was a disappointment to me. I'm going back to 3D GT.

Besides the online thing why was it a hassle? I know the online would be the number one reason for me but for you?

Besides the online thing why was it a hassle? I know the online would be the number one reason for me but for you?

No client auto-connect. Even the single player multiscreen was "unstable", and don't ask me why. I couldn't enjoy it anymore with all the connection problems.

Last edited:
Well after several weeks play, Im still very impressed with multiscreens.
Not having any issues at all with connections. Its really nice to experience all the different cars and tracks so when you do get this type of configuration their is a lot of new exploring and fun to be had just experiencing the benefits this brings to the game.

I dont play that much online with any racing games so it is not an issue for me. Prefer to play SP and do time trials mainly. If a game is fun to play and offers lots of cars to race then for me I have no boredom issues with AI or SP and can find I really enjoy just racing for fun selecting Arcade and "Infinate Laps".

However I will do several online trials at different times just for the sake of review purposes.
Stega Id of linked to of got you online for a private 1-1 both running multiscreens.

Curious to hear more thoughts from certain members and if those of you that were considering going for this are still wanting to do such. Has anyone went with 40" plus or have multiple projection ideas?

Last edited:
Thats sucks no multiscreen for Dirt 3 I know on Dirt it was supported for Xbox I've seen it on youtube. It might have helped me take the leap for multiscreen if I could use it for more then gt5.

Thats sucks no multiscreen for Dirt 3 I know on Dirt it was supported for Xbox I've seen it on youtube. It might have helped me take the leap for multiscreen if I could use it for more then gt5.

You sure it wasn't just a video of someone running it on a PC?

Can someone confirm that multi-screen in GT5 online doesn't work well. I want to go multi-screen for the simple reason that I hate while playing online I get side swipe and pit maneuvered by reckless drivers and I don't have clear view of whats going on around me to at least try and avoid them. Could it be just network setup connection issue that other people are experiencing? I have a wireless gaming router and according to its specs, it routes or prioritize game network traffic intelligently. Maybe my router will work better. Oh plus I need to connect three PS3 through wireless, will that be a problem for multi-monitor setup.

Mr. Latte. You've done it again. Great thread you got here. Hardcore...pure hardcore.

RDB
Hope you enjoyed the thread.
Wireless may have small lag issues and wired is advised to prevent such.

I apologise again for not getting back to this and finishing up the report and giving personal thoughts. It will get done but Ive been busy working on other things and playing some too.

Had been hoping to try online with Stega with both of us using triple screens but he seems to of vanished. If any other guys have had more online experience then by all means put forward your findings.

Possibly a patch will improve the online multiscreen support. It shouldnt be a major thing to fix but that doesnt mean it will get sorted anytime soon. Online isnt a big thing for me as I am happy to play around just driving and beating own personal times racing AI or time trials. Ive found online can be very much overrated unless you are in with the right bunch of people and even then accidents happen.

For me GT5 is as much about the driving experience, the handling and the fun in pushing your own limits. Triple screen just adds to the enjoyment of that and for certainly in my own case worth the investment to play the game in such a way.

An excellent guide Mr. L 👍

I've really come around to this triple-screen setup, so much so that I'm giving serious thought to upgrading my own display. Any new updates to add as yet? :)

Hi,

Was kinda hoping for more feedback from others possibly having tried online. Also wanted to wait a while to see if any updates to the game changed anything regards multiscreens. Will get around to adding more to the thread soon.
I was planning to look into screens available and add a small reference to prices/sizes. To give some help in the costs involved and options for people to consider.

24" Monitors still seems to be the sweetspot for price. Sticking to 16:9 1080p is probably best for optimal image too, requiring no borders or stretching some 16:10 monitors may use with a 1080p source.

Im personally not convinced going beyond 27" would be practical for many people either because of the amount of space required and the further distance to really have an optimal FOV.

Regards a cockpit, my own expereince for the best results is to consider having both multiscreens and a projector. This way for the majority of games that are single screen you get a huge image typically 80-100"+ commonly used and not relying on 1 out of 3 say 37"-50" that may be used in a triple HDTV multiscreen configuration. So going for big screen HDTVs just for multiscreen has that disadvantage, unless a user was a high end "PC Multiscreen Gamer" they could then benefit from many games supporting multiscreen features. For console heavy players like myself Id say the triple 24" screens and a projector option is best to enjoy X360/PS3 catalogue of titles on a large screen and also get the most out of Forza/GT multiscreen support.

Last edited:
Anyone able to check if multiscreen in multiplayer is playable now? I tore down the PS3 part of my multiscreen setup and have just been doing PC racing for the last few months and I see no reason to put it back together for the items listed in the 1.10 update unless multiscreen multiplayer is usable now.

Back