Gran Turismo 6 general Physics Discussion(as well as video)

United States
Greensboro/NC/U
jarod336/GTP_torque
Paperorplastic/ manherollen

This will be a thread for Discussing the current build and future changes of the Driving physics for GT6.

The Real Driving Simulator,it seems PD are really putting they're money where they're mouths are this time.

Well first off, The amazingly good news that can only, get better and better.

We already know, that PD have collaborated with performance companies, KW Automotive and Yokohama Rubber.

Now, i'm also interested in knowing what else PD had up they're sleeves to further enhance the Physics on they're own engine from GT5, Or if they will even use that Engine at all, or possibly start from scratch. But i have to say, honestly, the GT5 Physics engine was also very well done in the first place, apart from some hits and misses but fortunately, that seems to be addressed now in the latest game.

Secondly I have a question:

If anyone on this site was fortunate enough to play the Demo for GT6, can you please share some insight on how the cars handled first hand, Also how they drove in comparison to GT5?

From seeing gameplay videos, i am really liking what i have seen so far, The car pitches and rows as it should, and looks very genuine and fluid. The contact with the road and other obstacles such as rumble strips also look very impressive.

Here are some videos showing the new suspension modeling in action.

To put it bluntly, it all genuinely looks very impressive, notice the massive rolling and pitching under different types of load, already so far a significant improvement over GT5 suspension modeling, that now feels as flat as a board in comparison.

This video belongs to GTP member Saidur_Ali:tup:

And heres a video of stock 370z from GT5 for comparison.

I hope, to get some extremely detailed information about how differently cars feel and drive with the new physics.

And honestly by the looks of it,it's a massive step up from GT5.

Here is a beautiful demonstration of the new physics at work.

azflmb.gif

Here are some impressions from CVG regarding the new physics,and yes they really do compare it to Rfactor and GTR2.

"GT6 EXISTS BECAUSE POLYPHONY PRESIDENT KAZUNORI YAMAUCHI WON'T REST UNTIL HIS GAMES PERFECTLY REFLECT THE SENSATION OF DRIVING A RACE CAR.
We wrestled with the wheel, bringing the whole graceless affair almost to a halt before regaining control, and trying to keep notice for the next turn. Manual drivers make up the minority of GT's users of course, so it's all the more impressive that this detail is present. Like the incredibly high-poly cockpit of the Audi rally legend, it's something for the hardcore to enjoy.

Both the aero and suspension physics engines have been rebuilt according to the real race data Polyphony's acquired since GT5, and that translates into much more realistic weight shifting mid-corner, and on the exit.

Dampers and packers strain to balance my weight as I throw the S1 through Maggots, Beckets and Chapel a little bit quicker than it'd like. I wouldn't like to say how this will feel when you're using a pad rather than a wheel, but at least some of the necessary counter-steering I needed to stab into the wheel will translate to the analogue stick.

With a wheel and pedals, GT6 demands as much from you as hardcore PC sims GTR 2 and rFactor. The sound mix is set to highlight lock-ups and tyre squeals, and that lets you react instinctively with your ears and your hands."

Yes,you heard that right folks,a Gran Turismo game, honestly being compared to true Simulator legends, Rfactor and GTR series, A massive step up from this:
"GT5 tries hard to mimic the feels of simulations such as Rfactor but falls short"

All this sounds like GT6 is hitting the ground running, to be the Sim we always wanted it to be.

Last edited:
I certainly haven't driven it but all the footage suggests that the cars at least look the part when it comes to body roll. Really interested to learn more about the new suspension model.

I thought I'd repeat a post I made in the other thread of CVG has very good impression of GT6 demo. Edit: okay... some of the other impressions TorqueHappens didn't quote. :lol:

If you play using manual gears, you'll be struck by how much more notice you need to take of your revs when downshifting. Previously cars would accommodate a flurry of downshifts in a split second without even a hint of lock-up from the rear, but just two corners in we nearly binned the Nismo by clicking down to second while the revs were too high.

We wrestled with the wheel, bringing the whole graceless affair almost to a halt before regaining control, and trying to keep notice for the next turn. Manual drivers make up the minority of GT's users of course, so it's all the more impressive that this detail is present. Like the incredibly high-poly cockpit of the Audi rally legend, it's something for the hardcore to enjoy.

Both the aero and suspension physics engines have been rebuilt according to the real race data Polyphony's acquired since GT5, and that translates into much more realistic weight shifting mid-corner, and on the exit.

Dampers and packers strain to balance my weight as I throw the S1 through Maggots, Beckets and Chapel a little bit quicker than it'd like. ...With a wheel and pedals, GT6 demands as much from you as hardcore PC sims GTR 2 and rFactor. The sound mix is set to highlight lock-ups and tyre squeals, and that lets you react instinctively with your ears and your hands.

When asked by a table of reporters what he felt GT5 lacked the most, Yamauchi-San was clear and quick to answer: "responsiveness." Improved feedback from the car is hard to convey in presentations to hundreds of journos, but it's Gran Turismo 6's raison d'etre and that's a principle the Polyphony boss is clearly resolute about.
This really does sound like the GT sim we've been waiting for. If they can craft almost universal Race Mod and a Livery Editor, build a good Event Maker and provide good online event, club and league tools, then GT6 is going to sell like mad.

Last edited:
I know, it had me very excited, GT5 was already pretty good, but lacked alot of key elements, but it seems We now have an actual true console simulator on our hands, and that makes me very happy how they to stick to they're word on the Real driving simulator, i hope they can pull it off, but it seems my prayers are being answered.

No Adding more aids and other helpers, Getting to the core of driving and how it's done correctly. always bench mark the legends you can only do better, i'm sure PD paid good close attention to iracing, rfactor and GTR.

So, not just tires and suspension, but aerodynamics have been given attention as well? I hope this is true. There are quite a few important things that would add to the game, and it should drastically alter the behavior of many cars, in particular LeMans racers. The older ones might become very scary at speed, and the newer ones (or maybe the 80's/90's cars) may show some pitch sensitivity due to ground effects.

It's physics that makes a driving game, and it looks like PD might finally be giving it the attention it deserves.

Great thread, I'm also finding very positive first impressions from the few snippets we've gotten visually and good to also read the written comments here at GTPlanet and elsewhere.

I feel (or unfortunetly see rather) a much better improvement in tire squeal noise, it seems much more realistic and pronounced at the right moments compared GT5's never-ending washed-out squealing sound that we're all used to.

In GT5 driving at the limit, the more squealing the better, it doesn't punish you and gives you an unrealistic advantage (which you don't get in real life with the same sound)...
it seems to me in this demo a lot of the squealing going on is the real sound you get that you've reached the point of putting full strain on the tire and you actually feel the damage/wear your causing by overdriving or being inaccurate and unsmooth with the driving inputs..

I'm wondering if they've worked on an accurate tire wear model with Yokahoma, they probably have lots of key data on heat generation cycles and the type of damage and wear that hundreds of different slip angles have on tires. The question is would the PS3 have RAM to cope with an accurate wear model? Likely not, so even if it's a good simple one, that's fine... and they can keep working on "real" one with Yokohoma for the future.

I think I'm mentally and physically ready for this demo, I mean GT6,... demo? Crap! It'll be a long wait, I hope the "Demo" provides more than being a platform for the Academy, I'd be nice to have a small game with a couple tracks and cars that we can play around with, maybe even for online races, that'd be cool. :cool:

No Adding more aids and other helpers, Getting to the core of driving and how it's done correctly. always bench mark the legends you can only do better, i'm sure PD paid good close attention to iracing, rfactor and GTR.

We don't know much about the aids, but it was told that they're reworking the aids to make the game still accesible/enjoyble for people who can't or just hardly can cope with the pure physics model.
It's acutally not a bad thing, it's a necessity.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130516/CARNEWS/130519879

Polyphony and Yamauchi also talked about the “edge effect,” meaning the cars in GT6 will realistically model the cars better, bringing virtual even closer to reality. Right now Polyphony has special ECUs in Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S cars, logging every turn, break and throttle move, checking in on what happens to the car. That means when you slam on the brakes in the virtual BRZ, it will act just like the real thing. Yamauchi says other cars will get the same treatment before the game's release, though he didn't elaborate which ones.

So I guess we can expect these 2 cars to be the most "accurate" :sly:

Interested to know what wheels were available to use at Silverstone?
I am lucky enough to own both a DFGT and T500RS and GT5 feels much closer to a real car using the T500 compared to the DFGT.

I would be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone that uses a T500 in GT5 for their comments on physics improvements as if people usually use a DFGT but used a T500 to test the demo then any improvements that were felt back through the wheel could be masked by the better hardware.

watch the GT 6 Video (live stream video) from vga , there PD is showing the Alpine in the same corner in 2 different versions.
First the GT 5 Alpine is driving through the cornet , after that the GT 6 Alpine , it looks awesome.

Light sport cars + comfort hard tyres + GT 6 physics = Awesome races.

Turning into a corner ( a bit too fast ) , comfort hard tyres loosing grip ->understeer ( Now GT 6's physics come to place ) + weight of the car will be pushing more on the outside tyre ...

I think Buttons driving style FTW ?

Yes, the body roll seemed extremely realistic, contrary to GT5 where most cars are way too stiff and the suspension responds way too slow.

Yes, the body roll seemed extremely realistic, contrary to GT5 where most cars are way too stiff and the suspension responds way too slow.
Most cars in GT5 can be defined as excessively stiff, overdamped and with excessive suspension travel. This is particularly visible on standard cars, especially on old/classic models. It's as if they were all equipped with anti-roll bars, which might actually be the case since in GT there has never been so far any "0 setting" for ARB.

More than this, though (which might be corrected simply with different settings and not necessarily improved because of better physics), I wonder if they'll finally the nuances of old school suspensions correctly. It's really not all just about damping and spring stiffness.

I'm not expecting much here, though. The sheer number of cars prevent PD to be as detailed in this compartment as in PC sims, which usually focus on a few cars at most.

PLEASE KAZ don' t semplify the physics of this demo for players that don' t like simulation (for them use driving aids). We want this good physics because GT has to be a real simulator. GT6 whit the physics we have seen in these videos is probably the best thing that real GTplayers want, and need. PLEASE!

PLEASE KAZ don' t semplify the physics of this demo for players that don' t like simulation (for them use driving aids). We want this good physics because GT has to be a real simulator. GT6 whit the physics we have seen in these videos is probably the best thing that real GTplayers want, and need. PLEASE!
They won't, but he said they're working on improved driving assists to make the game accessible and enjoyable for everybody.

Is it just me or does the body tilt seem a bit too much when turning at relatively low speed? I've only driven one car in real life behaving like that and that was a Mercury Grand Marquis, which is a huge and overly comfortable saloon. Seeing a Nissan Z with such supension physics puzzles me a bit. It looks like the suspension is made of sponges.

Is it just me or does the body tilt seem a bit too much when turning at relatively low speed? I've only driven one car in real life behaving like that and that was a Mercury Grand Marquis, which is a huge and overly comfortable saloon. Seeing a Nissan Z with such supension physics puzzles me a bit. It looks like the suspension is made of sponges.
Depends on how much grip the tyres have.

Having spent quite a bit of time watching best motoring videos, I would say that both the 350 and 370 Z tend to tild quite a bit in corners.

You had me at "Rivals rFactor and GTR2" :drool:

Honestly, if they give us this I'm building an altar to Kazunori on my bedroom, it just sounds too good.

Also, anybody noticed the Team Veloqx's Audi R8 on the background of the first video? :D

This really does sound like the GT sim we've been waiting for. If they can craft almost universal Race Mod and a Livery Editor, build a good Event Maker and provide good online event, club and league tools, then GT6 is going to sell like mad.

Dear D:

You just summed up what I want from GT6. Thank you very much. Now Kaz, make what this guy just said, package it in a box with another nice booklet and a Kyosho car and take my $100.

Latest Posts

Back