Gran Turismo 6 modding discussion

Not to say this mod isn't a good change because it is and I'm sure there was a big amount of work involved, but I feel like even with an infinite amount of tweaking GT6 cars won't come close to sound like Grid Autosport cars or more modern games. But maybe that can't be done due to how sounds work in GT6.
I would assume if we had access to the cars and sampled the audio ourselves, we could get authentic noises. Using the mod however, I've been pleasantly surprised with most car's sounds 😁

Not to say this mod isn't a good change because it is and I'm sure there was a big amount of work involved, but I feel like even with an infinite amount of tweaking GT6 cars won't come close to sound like Grid Autosport cars or more modern games. But maybe that can't be done due to how sounds work in GT6.
This is correct. Games like Grid use an entirely different (and in my mind, superior) sound system. No amount of tweaking will make them sound anything alike, but we can still make them a vast improvement over the vanilla sounds.

Can someone help me? Idk how to create events with the Nenkai tool I'm a little lost in that programming explanation and stuff
Could this be any simpler? I really want to create my own races...

Another iteration on the design, I think this is a lot more professional, and now oddly GT1-reminiscent:
1644186287148.png

I really like the first background, with the R89. This is a great effort, nicely executed. I see there's some real understanding of the scripting system beginning to emerge, which surely opens up a lot of potential?
Indeed, the scripting engine runs extremely deep. Anything you can think of that isn't obviously engine-driven (i.e. physics, rendering) can be controlled via scripts. A couple of talented people are working on reverse engineering the existing scripts to actual code that can be compiled, and the more of them we see, the more of the language we'll understand, as we can see how PD did things and use it in weird/wonderful ways.

New video of the whole flow, from viewing a brand new list of cars, to fixing up the car I bought.

A massive rework under the hood and some visual tweaks:
  • Properly integrated the script into GT Mode instead of having it launch a separate "project" - this comes with the benefit of fixing the purchase sound effect, and allowing me to show the ribbon at the top with the start menu and current car/credits
  • Added the ability to flip the car 180 degrees with Square
  • Made the list refresh while the dealer is active, after purchasing the car (still needs a bit of optimisation)
  • Add the car's startup sound if you choose to drive it now
  • Reworked the probability as well as adding some specific exclusions (bit unrealistic seeing Jay Leno's own Tank Car for sale sometimes...)
  • Reworked the mileage scaling so some cheaper cars have the potential (but not always) to go well into six figures
  • Actually setting the car's body rigidity, engine health, and oil health - these are mainly influenced by the car's mileage, but with some randomness to them too. No longer automatically "more miles = broken car" - some people do maintain high mileage cars properly!
  • Not visible in the video, but now a sold out car will no longer be loaded in if you hover over it in the menu. I figured this is a nice little touch of realism, because the car is no longer there to look at

Now some work outside of the UCD to give it more of a purpose. In GT7 fashion, the new dealer is now restricted to cars from 2001 onwards. The UCD has no year restriction, so even if a car is in the NCD, you might find it cheaper in the UCD.

Notice how Dome is missing entirely since their only car is from 1978, and Alfa Romeo's 60s cars are missing too:
1644412995430.png

1644412999378.png

And also tweaked the minimum values for both Year sliders on the Car Search, just so no pre-2001s can slip by there:
1644413023024.png

Spent quite a while optimising but I think it's paid off well. In the video you might've seen a minor delay between me purchasing the car and the menu refreshing. Thanks to some redesigning and the use of threaded tasks, it's now pretty much instant.

Here's the slowest use case:
  • First visit on that day, so the stock list has to refresh
  • Buying multiple cars, with menu refreshes in between (to remove cars that are sold out)

And the quickest use case:
  • Not the first visit, so the stock list is retrieved from storage
  • Buying one car and immediately leaving

It's also probably worth mentioning that both of these were recorded on real hardware.

Last edited:
Now that the UCD is just about finished, I had a crack at another idea: a generic menu layout (and the code behind it) where you can pass in just about any event folder, and it'll present them in the "card flyer" format, similar to the Goodwood menus. In this case the Seasonal Events root was the smallest so I cloned that and rebuilt its functionality to only what I need.

Currently I can indeed pass in an event folder and it'll simply generate the titles, main menu title, and flyers from everything that's in there - so if you put in Sunday Cup, it has both events, if you put in Le Mans, it has the one event, if you put in the Gornergrat League, it has however many that has.

The main use case I was working towards for this menu was to do my GT4 Driving Missions some proper justice - I was always mildly miffed that I had to rejig an unused Endurance category and shove them away, almost hidden, in the IA and IB categories. Now, no more:
BCES01893_screenshot_2022_02_12_01_55_57.png
BCES01893_screenshot_2022_02_12_01_56_17.png
BCES01893_screenshot_2022_02_12_01_56_25.png

Attachments

• BCES01893_screenshot_2022_02_12_01_55_57.png
    BCES01893_screenshot_2022_02_12_01_55_57.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 62
I took one of the existing dev_design_work pages and retooled it so that it can generate thumbnails of any car I want, at any angle I specify. I set it away looping through every single car in the game, and 2 hours later it's almost done - 1920x1080 transparent thumbnails of every car at the exact same angle:
1645229272682.png

Some examples (some of the huge cars are cut off slightly, I'll re-render those with a slightly changed angle later - thankfully not too many):
mclaren_f1_94_00_000deg.png
stratos_73_prm_00_000deg.png

Why do all of these? Absolutely no idea, but at least I have them in case they come in useful later.

Anyone knows how's progress on figuring out modding car textures for the game?

I remember I saw something, don't remember if it was here or on Discord, of people creating new trims for cars, with different performance, but the body was the same. One was, for example, an SLK320.

With texture modding this could be nice, it would allow to change the badges.

Anyone knows how's progress on figuring out modding car textures for the game?

I remember I saw something, don't remember if it was here or on Discord, of people creating new trims for cars, with different performance, but the body was the same. One was, for example, an SLK320.

With texture modding this could be nice, it would allow to change the badges.
That was me, and textures still can't be changed yet.

That was me, and textures still can't be changed yet.
That's a shame. We can do it on GT2, but the disc is already almost full, so not much room to expand. Is there a way around that, like if it wasn't required to run on real hardware?

And what's any other progress on modding the game? I don't like using Discord much, so I'm not keeping up with it. I just tend to look up GT2+ here on the forums. I only saw the used car dealership here, which I wanted for ages. I remember being told it was very unlikely once. Is it gonna be a part of Spec II eventually? Is it public yet?

That's a shame. We can do it on GT2, but the disc is already almost full, so not much room to expand. Is there a way around that, like if it wasn't required to run on real hardware?

And what's any other progress on modding the game? I don't like using Discord much, so I'm not keeping up with it. I just tend to look up GT2+ here on the forums. I only saw the used car dealership here, which I wanted for ages. I remember being told it was very unlikely once. Is it gonna be a part of Spec II eventually? Is it public yet?
Not public yet, might be part of Spec II, I don't know.

Not public yet, might be part of Spec II, I don't know.
I think I might only play GT5 for now when I boot up the PS3 then. I definitely want to start GT6 from scratch when the UCD releases.

For a while I forgot this will feature premium cars too and thought you could've had used the name Standard Deluxe Motorsport

And what about that mod that allows us to select any car as our first purchase, instead of getting the Fit? That plus a reduction in starting cash would be nice.

EDIT: Also, one thought I had now as I was reading about the Ferrari California on Fandom. With mods, would it be possible to select wether we want to drive convertibles with the roof up or down? Like on the PS2? At least for convertibles that have a model with the roof down.

Last edited:
hi there, great job you´r doing, finaly some one that gives atention were is needed.
I have a question, is it possible to create a ingame sound tuner for AES? and change all car sounds to AES?

Where can I find the "Customization Mod"? I didn't found any information about it, apart a video on how to install the Spec II Mod. Apparently is an enhanced version of it

The Customization Mod is a mod that was posted in the Discord, aswell as adding new events from GT1 to GTS, it also enhances the abilities of customization like being able to paint cars with paint colors that were unaccessible in GT Auto like Go-Kart colors, in terms of rims it gives us the possibility of adding other cars wheels like Audi R18 wheels on a Jaguar S-type. It has been a few months since the creator of the mod (pieceofcheese) posted it and he hasn't returned to the Discord with an update, in one of his latest messages he said that he was busy so he doesn't have much time to spare to work on his mod (Here an example with a CR-Z with McLaren wheels)

Attachments

• CR-Z F1 n°1.jpg
    CR-Z F1 n°1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Sounds amazing. Do I need to do anything in case I already have the Master Mod installed? I don't want to end up accidentally breaking the game or receiving Errors.

Does anyone have a working invite link to the Discord server? There's a whole bunch of stuff that I'd love to follow, especially that Used Car Dealership, at no point did I ever think this was possible in GT6, with modding alone.

Back