Gran Turismo 7 Booklet Confirms Ferrari F8 and F12, More Details on Car Dealers & Tuning

• Thread starter Famine
  • 210 comments
Implies. The writer implies, the reader infers.

However "rally" does not imply "off road racing", as you have inferred here:
When used in Gran Turismo rally usually does. I can't think of any rally races in the game that didn't use rally style tracks. If you can I would appreciate the education.

What’s all this talk about a “Music Rally”? Is it a new mode in GT7? Could somebody please get me up to date on this?

Last edited:
When used in Gran Turismo rally usually does.
Usually does what?
I can't think of any rally races in the game that didn't use rally style tracks.
What is a "rally style track"?
If you can I would appreciate the education.
If I can what?

I'm really not sure what this post is trying to convey, or why it's quoting me. However I'm assuming you're confused in some way about the point that "rally" does imply "off road racing".

A "rally" is just a gathering of - usually - road cars. It doesn't have to take place on dirt courses; even the most famous kind of rally, the World Rally Championship, has events on surfaced roads. Many of the world's oldest rally events take place entirely on public roads, usually for classic and vintage cars.

Rally doesn't mean off-road.

What’s all this talk about a “Music Rally”? Is it a new mode in GT7? Could somebody please get me up to date on this?
Yeah. Look at the first post.

I'm really not sure what this post is trying to convey, or why it's quoting me. However I'm assuming you're confused in some way about the point that "rally" does imply "off road racing".

A "rally" is just a gathering of - usually - road cars. It doesn't have to take place on dirt courses; even the most famous kind of rally, the World Rally Championship, has events on surfaced roads. Many of the world's oldest rally events take place entirely on public roads, usually for classic and vintage cars.

Indeed! For example, I think the Ferrari 288 GTO was originally going to only be on the tarmac before Group B was banned entirely. Not to mention I'd consider hillclimbs to be a rally of sorts, and the most famous ones these days like Pikes Peak and Goodwood are all tarmac. (Though I'm aware that Pikes Peak used to be gravel/dirt years ago, and only relatively recent got paved over.)
Ah, my apologies - I suppose I was so focused on the two Ferrari models and the fact there'll be so many custom parts that I must've completely overlooked that part. Either way, seems fun, and I'm looking forward to see how it plays in practice.

Last edited:
Usually does what?

What is a "rally style track"?

If I can what?

And that's why I said rally style tracks. Some GT rally tracks have tarmac. Gr.B is the rally group and there are tracks specifically designed for those cars. I don't know why you're giving me a hard time over this as it is very basic knowledge of the game. The name is borrowed from
And the cars are commonly referred to as rally cars.

And that's why I said rally style tracks.
And, again, what does that mean?
Some GT rally tracks have tarmac.
Cool. So what?
Gr.B is the rally group and there are tracks specifically designed for those cars.
Cool. So what?
I don't know why you're giving me a hard time over this as it is very basic knowledge of the game.
Cool. So what?

The point you've apparently entirely missed is that you've restricted the concept of "rally" to mean "GT Sport's dirt tracks". It doesn't. Rally doesn't mean offroad.

The name is borrowed from
And the cars are commonly referred to as rally cars.
Oh please do tell a 44-year old motoring journalist more about the Group B era of the World Rally Championship, because I'm so uninformed about it and didn't live through it.

Do you know why they're called rally cars? I'll give you a clue: it has nothing to do with racing off road...

And, again, what does that mean?

Cool. So what?

Cool. So what?

Cool. So what?

The point you've apparently entirely missed is that you've restricted the concept of "rally" to mean "GT Sport's dirt tracks". It doesn't. Rally doesn't mean offroad.

Oh please do tell a 44-year old motoring journalist more about the Group B era of the World Rally Championship, because I'm so uninformed about it and didn't live through it.

Do you know why they're called rally cars? I'll give you a clue: it has nothing to do with racing off road...
I know you know what it is which is why I'm confused as to why you are giving me a hard time on this. In Gran Turismo when they call a race a "rally" in the menu they always mean a race on dirt tracks with Gr. B type cars. Yes it can mean other things in other contexts but in Gran Turismo it always refers to these types of races as far as I'm aware of. If you have an example where it doesn't I'm open to being corrected. I'm simply guessing "music rally" if that is the correct translation refers to one of those types of races. Yes, I could be wrong but given the context of how rally has been used in the past that is my guess.

I know you know what it is which is why I'm confused as to why you are giving me a hard time on this.
I've no idea what you're talking about. Which, you know, makes two of us.
In Gran Turismo when they call a race a "rally" in the menu they always mean a race on dirt tracks with Gr. B type cars.
Firstly, Gr.B was introduced in 2017 with GT Sport, so no, it does not "always" mean that.

Additionally, the Citta di Aria and Costa di Amalfi events in GT4 were fully tarmac and called "rally", as was the Sierra Time Rally in GT6, so that's the historic perspective dismantled.

But ultimately it still misses the point made. "Rally" does not mean off-road racing, whether Gran Turismo has "always" used it to mean this or not (and it's not).

I've no idea what you're talking about. Which, you know, makes two of us.

Firstly, Gr.B was introduced in 2017 with GT Sport, so no, it does not "always" mean that.

Additionally, the Citta di Aria and Costa di Amalfi events in GT4 were fully tarmac and called "rally", as was the Sierra Time Rally in GT6, so that's the historic perspective dismantled.

But ultimately it still misses the point made. "Rally" does not mean off-road racing, whether Gran Turismo has "always" used it to mean this or not (and it's not).
I said Gr.B "type" cars on purpose because while the label may change the type of cars they refer to as rally cars in the game does not. I would like to see Citta di Aria and Costa di Amalfi come back as they are some of my favorites but as far as we know so far the only rally tracks in GT7 are the off road variety. I think it's a solid guess but again it could be wrong. We will know very soon.

Last edited:
I would like to see Citta di Aria and Costa di Amalfi come back as they are some of my favorites but as far as we know so far the only rally tracks in GT7 are the off road variety. I think it's a solid guess but again it could be wrong. We will know very soon.
If I may interject, I'd prefer it if those tight city courses were instead turned into point-to-point time attack stages, where instead of racing, it's more like an actual rally, a bit like how GT5 did it.

If I may interject, I'd prefer it if those tight city courses were instead turned into point-to-point time attack stages, where instead of racing, it's more like an actual rally, a bit like how GT5 did it.

You would have to totally redesign them and a point to point rally would either be very short or take way more resources. I don't mind the idea but I think they are fine for 1 on 1 racing or time trials as they are.

I said Gr.B "type" cars on purpose because while the label may change the type of cars they refer to as rally cars in the game does not.
I'd say it's weird you're still pushing this despite being obviously wrong, but it's to form.

You would have to totally redesign them and a point to point rally would either be very short or take way more resources. I don't mind the idea but I think they are fine for 1 on 1 racing or time trials as they are.
I think they're too tight. Recall that in GT4, there could only be two cars on those courses at once, whereas the dirt courses in GTS can have far more cars at once.

Of course, I wouldn't mind the actual layouts being scrapped, and perhaps an entirely new circuit or point-to-point course being set at the same locale, instead.

Last edited:
I think they're too tight. Recall that in GT4, there could only be two cars on those courses at once, whereas the dirt courses in GTS can have far more cars at once.
I think the dirt courses are too wide with awkward invisible walls. Those 2 courses are far more appropriate for what I would consider rally racing. Some narrow tracks would be welcome as they are a different kind of challenge.

Last edited:
While I kind of understand the point (I think) that @Magog is struggling to convey, I don't think we know enough to assume Music Rally will be associated with the Special Condition type events we saw in GT4 or similar events in any other GT game. It could be something that's pretty unique and never seen before or it could simply be the reintroduction of the music synched replays from GT3 given a bizzarre new name. The problem we sometimes have with Polyphony is until we've seen something it can be very hard to predict what a feature will be like and if it will even be in the game.

While I kind of understand the point (I think) that @Magog is struggling to convey, I don't think we know enough to assume Music Rally will be associated with the Special Condition type events we saw in GT4 or similar events in any other GT game. It could be something that's pretty unique and never seen before or it could simply be the reintroduction of the music synched replays from GT3 given a bizzarre new name. The problem we sometimes have with Polyphony is until we've seen something it can be very hard to predict what a feature will be like and if it will even be in the game.

The music video style replays were awesome and I hope they bring them back but I don't see how "music rally" would be that.

Last edited:
The music video style replays were awesome and I hope they bring them back but I don't see how "music rally" would be that.
It wouldn't be unheard of for it to be a misprint "Music Replay" mistyped to "Music Rally", or just for the word "Rally" to be used in a different context to how it has been associated with the way it's used in previous titled. It could be a completly new and original feature, it would be nice to see something innovative.

I can't say I spent much time with the mustic video replays in GT3 personally, but I'd have no problem with them coming back.

Of course, I wouldn't mind the actual layouts being scrapped, and perhaps an entirely new circuit or point-to-point course being set at the same locale, instead.
Point to point could indeed be brought back, for such a music rally.
GT7 looks to have some nice classic cars for such an event. I guess in the style of Targa Florio or the Mille Miglia. I remember that map of Italy PD used with the F430(?) for players to advance in checkpoints. I think the cars started in stages, but it were circuit races.

It wouldn't be unheard of for it to be a misprint "Music Replay" mistyped to "Music Rally", or just for the word "Rally" to be used in a different context to how it has been associated with the way it's used in previous titled. It could be a completly new and original feature, it would be nice to see something innovative.

I can't say I spent much time with the mustic video replays in GT3 personally, but I'd have no problem with them coming back.

I think betting on it being a misprint is far more unlikely than just taking the term at face value.

I think betting on it being a misprint is far more unlikely than just taking the term at face value
I wouldn't bet against either, I've seen far far worse misprints than that (if that ends up being a misprint).

Last edited:

I think betting on it being a misprint is far more unlikely than just taking the term at face value.
I wouldn't bet against either, I've seen far far worse misprints than that (if that ends up being a misprint).
I was thinking it could possibly be mistranslated.
Nope. Here's the relevant bit:

1642892112630.png

First thing you'll notice: it's in katakana. Katakana is one of two simple alphabets, along with hiragana, used in Japanese that represent sounds, unlike the complex multistroke characters (kanji) that represent entire words. Importantly hiragana are flowing characters that represent sounds in native words and katakana are angular characters that represent sounds in foreign words.

That means that you know that when you spell out the sounds, the resulting word is not a Japanese word needing further knowledge of Japanese to translate, but an imported word from another language (almost always English, but not entirely so).

The sounds these characters spell out are, in order:

ミ MI
ュ YU (this is "lower" case, which means it pairs with the previous character to change the sound)
ー (long vowel sound)
ジ ZI (modified "si")
ッ (modifier which doubles the next consonant)
ク KU
ラ RA
リ RI
ー (long vowel sound)

That all knits together to spell MYUUZIKKU RARII. A terminal "u" in Japanese is silent, so that's read out loud as "MYUUZIKK RARII". Japanese substitutes any "l" sound for an "r", and any hard "c" with a "k" - because there is no "l" or "c" sound in the Japanese alphabet - so that's quite clearly the phrase "MUSIC RALLY" transcribed into Japanese sounds, because that's how it sounds in Japanese.

It's not a mistranslation (even if I'd mistranslated it with my basic college-level Japanese from 20 years ago, @PettyWingman is a native Japanese speaker...) and it would be quite the misprint to put ラリー instead of リプレイ (RI-PU-RE-I - repurei -> replay).

"Music Rally" is what it says. What that means... we're going to have to wait to find out.

View attachment 1107682

First thing you'll notice: it's in katakana. Katakana is one of two simple alphabets, along with hiragana, used in Japanese that represent sounds, unlike the complex multistroke characters (kanji) that represent entire words. Importantly hiragana are flowing characters that represent sounds in native words and katakana are angular characters that represent sounds in foreign words.

That means that you know that when you spell out the sounds, the resulting word is not a Japanese word needing further knowledge of Japanese to translate, but an imported word from another language (almost always English, but not entirely so).

ミ MI
ュ YU (this is "lower" case, which means it pairs with the previous character to change the sound)
ー (long vowel sound)
ジ ZI (modified "si")
ク KU
ラ RA
リ RI
ー (long vowel sound)

That all knits together to spell MYUUZIKKU RARII. A terminal "u" in Japanese is silent, so that's read out loud as "MYUUZIKK RARII". Japanese substitutes any "l" sound for an "r", and any hard "c" with a "k" - because there is no "l" or "c" sound in the Japanese alphabet - so that's quite clearly the phrase "MUSIC RALLY" transcribed into Japanese sounds, because that's how it sounds in Japanese.

It's not a mistranslation (even if I'd mistranslated it with my basic college-level Japanese from 20 years ago, @PettyWingman is a native Japanese speaker...) and it would be quite the misprint to put ラリー instead of リプレイ (RI-PU-RE-I - repurei -> replay).

"Music Rally" is what it says. What that means... we're going to have to wait to find out.
We really do learn something everyday, and this is an educational post for me. Thankyou for such a detailed explanation. 😊

View attachment 1107682

ミ MI
ー (long vowel sound)
ジ ZI (modified "si")
ク KU
ラ RA
リ RI
ー (long vowel sound)

I can honestly say your understanding of Japanese is far better than mine (I can just about order alcohol), however I wasn’t suggesting you had mistranslated it, rather that it may have been a misprint on the leaflet itself.

But then I suppose replay and rally probably don’t sound nearly as alike in Japanese as they do in English, so maybe not so easy to mix the two.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was my first post In this thread. About how what Kaz says can be mistranslated. That’s why I posted “I was thinking…”. It’s definitely about what he means.

Latest Posts

Back