Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
Very odd. I definitely think we need to wait for proper confirmation because this is certainly at odds with some previous messages. Perhaps it started out as a cross gen game and then changed to PS5 only with the delay and that's what this guy is talking about, or he's somehow not aware.

A PS4 first party title in 2022 just seems so unlikely, even with the shortages.

Last edited:
A someone that still uses ps4 and still don't have ps5: I'm happy that sony is not abandoning ps4. And I'm not suprised, with 100 milion ps4 consoles and with ps5 shortages, why they are not doing it yet.
As someone who wants a PS5, I'm not happy at the potential set backs for a game that should have been developed on brand new hardware rather than held back by hardware that is so much older and weaker.

Going off your point, there really wouldn't have been a need to make a PS5 game at all then as they could have just released another game on PS4 and it would have been backwards compatible anyways.

To make matters worse, don't forget that Sport mode will very likey have cross-play enabled with PS4 and PS5 users. They aren't going to host two separate championships for two consoles. The drawbacks of the PS4 will directly effect the PS5 version as well.

If the PS4 version can't achieve dynamic weather, neither will the PS5.

The penalty system is also based on GTSport's AI system. Expect the same crappy penalty system now that we know the PS4 is the base platform GT7 is developed and designed for. :banghead:

Last edited:
That’s immensely disappointing to put it mildly. Don’t even want to start to think about the implications.

What does this mean for dynamic time of day and dynamic weather?

What does this mean for the PSVR2 implementation?

Just extremely bummed about this announcement.

I guess we're both going back to Forza 8 as our main :lol: I'm not waiting another 4-5 years for Polyphony to release an actual next-gen game.

tenor.gif

Probably not happening. The games need to have feature parity - if the PS4 can’t handle something the PS5 can, it simply won’t be in the game
Well, I mean, it wouldn't be the first time they'd put something in a game that just wasn't well optimized for the console it is playing on. GT5 weather and time affects come to mind in certain circumstances. I don't think that makes it any better a situation though.

As someone who wants a PS5, I'm not happy at the potential set backs for a game that should have been developed on brand new hardware rather than held back by hardware that is so much older and weaker.

Going off your point, there really wouldn't have been a need to make a PS5 game at all then as they could have just released another game on PS4 and it would have been backwards compatible anyways.
With hardware availability situation as bad as it is, it makes sense not to abandon PS4. The reason being money of course. Also, I'm gonna wait till some more details emerge on GT7 to judge if it being crossgen hit it that hard. Will it prevent GT7 from using 100% of ps5 capabilities? Maybe.

Building to the lowest common denominator. Well on the bright side, the game should be released sooner since PD won't have to tweak out all the performance of the PS5, just the performance of the PS4.

A whole lot of people speculating on what features PD would add to the game if it were PS5 only on this thread :lol:
Yeah, I won't be surprised if the only ps5 features that they were going to use were ray tracing and ssd stuff. Maybe bigger cars number and races, because of how much more powerful ps5 is compared to ps4.

This is just sad. Being a racing game fan today is very complicated to say the least. An ugly and empty track like Alsace won't look good even with some RT. Flat trees, ping pong collisions, static TOD and so on. And Poly won't work on two versions of the same track. This will be GTsport with RT and nothing more. And they can't even release a PS5 update for GTsport like every other PS studio. Please Forza 8 be a good next gen game!!

I suppose this is one way of upholding the "Two mainline Gran Turismo games per console" tradition! ;)
Best take so far.

It is worth noting that the piece doesn't actually say GT7 (or God of War 2) is being developed for PS4. It only says that it's one of the games where crossgen makes sense and would be looked at.

I wouldn't take this one way or the other yet.

Best take so far.

It is worth noting that the piece doesn't actually say GT7 (or God of War 2) is being developed for PS4. It only says that it's one of the games where crossgen makes sense and would be looked at.

I wouldn't take this one way or the other yet.

I would. You don’t just decide making a PS5 game cross gen midway through development.
And you don’t say something like Hermen did unless it’s already a done deal. This is just PR speak and an attempt to soften the blow since GT7 was once announced as a PS5 exclusive.

Last edited:
As for dynamic weather, aren't there games for ps4 with it? And with dynamic day/night cycle? If there are, then maybe they will implement it in both versions of gt7. The way i see it they have three options: option 1: both ps4 and ps5 will have dynamic weather and time of day. Option 2: ps4 will not have them, but ps5 version will have both modes, dynamic and static for crossplay with ps4. And option 3, the worst one: gt7 will not have dynamic weather and day cycle on both ps4 and ps5.

Well, assuming they are really going to PS4, I think I may see their thought process.

According to the most recent available figure, the PS5 has sold 7.8 million units worldwide. Main GT releases have only sold under this number once: GT6. So there's probably an expectation of the number of copies they will want to sell. Then we have to take into account that, included in those 7.8 million, are scalped consoles, which even though count as sales, may not be in the hands of gamers yet. We also have to take into account that not everyone of those 7.8 million are going to be into racing games. Finally, we have to take into account the fact that access to the PS5 will still remain difficult for a while, as production tries to keep up.

All this to say that, if you stick only to PS5, you have a maximum of around 7.8 million potential users. Add in PS4 and you have another 100 million potential users, give or take. Go one step further, add Steam, that's another 20-30 million, perhaps.

It always ends up in a numbers game.

Last edited:
Back