Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
Its quite funny when you think about it. For years people here have been bitching about PD and GT Sport not being a "proper" GT and how terrible it is that PD/Sony didn't make a "proper" GT game for PS4 generation just like the old games.

Then GT7 for PS5 gets announced and there's a whole bunch of bitching that it will be a quick & dirty rehash of GT Sport and how rubbish it is. Then information appears that suggests its like the old games in terms of tracks and single player.

Now GT7 might come to PS4 and guess what, everyone is bitching about it.

PD could give the game away free with a rig and PS5 and there would still be people bitching about it. They are permanently in a lose-lose situation.

As far as the game itself, I can't get too excited about this right now to be honest. The game might come to PS4 and that might affect features of the game that might or might not be in the game, we can't say because stuff like dynamic weather hasn't been confirmed either way. Its far too early to be sharpening pitchforks.

I'm not sure that's possible.

Thus far we've not seen a single cross-gen game where a fundamental, gameplay-changing mechanism is in one version but not the other. It's only been changes to the graphics, grid sizes (in racing games and in theme parks), audio, and DualSense support.

Dynamic TOD/weather is such a mechanism. It doesn't just look nicer, it changes how the game plays. Imagine playing an FIA race (or any Sport Mode race) where the sun sets for half of the grid but not the other half, or where two thirds of drivers aren't dealing with a spell of rain halfway through the race - and a drying line. You'd literally be looking at a PS5 being a disadvantage; hardly a console seller is it?

Of course it doesn't have to be in Sport Mode at all, and Sport Mode might not even be cross-gen play (though if the game is, it should be; how are you supporting those 110m PS4 players if they can't play it? Also PD doesn't exclude players from Sport Mode for not having a T-GT, so why would it exclude players for not having a PS5?), but it affects single player too.

On PS5 you might have the 24hr of Le Mans (or not, if Motorsport Network plays an exclusivity card) in your career mode, with full day-night transitions and weather, just like you had in GT5, in 4K60. But on PS4 you get 24 hours of racing in whatever preset conditions and you race for 1,440 minutes with the sun up (or down), just like you had in GT4, only with 20 cars instead of 6...

You don't even have to imagine that hard to see how it'd create two completely different single-player games. No proper endurance racing (yet again), no day-night events (or dry-wet events) anywhere in the ladder, no challenges like that Special Event in GT6 for B-Spec Bob where it started to rain 7 laps into a 10 lap race, any plans for licence tests/missions involving TOD/weather.

As far as we're aware, that can't happen; the gameplay itself must be the same between both versions. That means you can't leave it out from one version but not the other, so it's either cut entirely, running at lower resolution/fps on PS4 (unlikely), or PD makes it work at 1080p60 on PS4 (very unlikely or a console-killer).

Imagine though that it is possible and take it a step further. What happens when you have people who aren't like us and don't sit on racing game forums all the time who stumble across GT7 and think "hey, GT used to be cool back in 2004, let's give it a bash". Dynamic weather, dynamic TOD, new in-depth physics engine, awesome. So they pick up their PS4 copy from the PS Store, download it, and get into a game with literally none of that.

Now we're into PCARS3 territory where they feel absolutely ripped off, because it turns out that GT7 doesn't mean GT7 if it's PS4 GT7. Every single piece of advertising they've seen is from the PS5 version (because why wouldn't you promote it with the best version) and the asterisks all over the box/store page haven't hit a relevant part of their brain. "What, so I have to throw £400 at a console and THEN another £10 to upgrade the game to get it to do the things it was advertised to do?" - and no refunds, because it's a first party game and they played it for a fraction of a second. Cue the forum threads full of people accusing Sony/PD of being scammers, and GTP too (because we are Sony/PD to a lot of people for some reason, and also we'd be pointing out they got the PS4 version).

And then there's the other side of the coin. Promote the game with the PS4 version at all and you'll have PC4/FMnot8 fans and forums bringing up how terrible it looks for a 2022 game. People are still posting the Standard model Suzuki Alto Works from GT5 to show how crap Gran Turismo is, and that was eleven - count 'em - years ago, not to mention GT6's ropey alpha effects from 2013. Do you think full daylight 24h races, or 30fps rain/fog/night with jaggy shadows, will get any less or die down sooner?

There are no rules dictating that the gameplay must be the same between both console versions. Everything you said makes sense, but we all know PD doesn't always make sensible decisions. Does it make sense only a fraction of tracks in GT Sport have wet weather? Did it make sense less than half of the cars in GT6 were "premium"? There's nothing stopping them from making an inferior version on the PS4, and when they continue to prove that they don't care about consistent quality in a title on a single console, why would they be concerned with parity on a cross-gen title?

There are no rules dictating that the gameplay must be the same between both console versions.
I don't know whether there are or there are not, but it has been the case for every PS4-5/XB1-S crossgen game to date. The only differences have been visual upgrades, audio upgrades, loading speeds, grid sizes in racing games (park sizes in theme park games), and DualSense support.

We are yet to see what GTAV's "expanded and enhanced" PS5 version means, and we are only 8 months into this generation, but so far there have been no titles with fundamental gameplay mechanics that are different between the two console generation titles.

There are no rules dictating that the gameplay must be the same between both console versions. Everything you said makes sense, but we all know PD doesn't always make sensible decisions. Does it make sense only a fraction of tracks in GT Sport have wet weather? Did it make sense less than half of the cars in GT6 were "premium"? There's nothing stopping them from making an inferior version on the PS4, and when they continue to prove that they don't care about consistent quality in a title on a single console, why would they be concerned with parity on a cross-gen title?
No but there are rules dictating how well companies must be clear about what they are actually selling and what people are actually buying, and these rules differ from country to country from being non-existant to being very stringent.

Not only does making the game different like this, mean the game will cost more time and money to develop (as you're two games will branch further appart meaning more work is involved), but it also opens up a potential legal landmine. Advertisements, review, box art, magazine ads, promtional material, everything will be open to scrutiny. Not only that, but the depth of scrutiny subject to can be hugely different from one region to another.

As an extreme example, look at Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4, it wasn't what people were expecting, nor did it look like what was advertised, gamers fault for buying the PS4 version right? Only it didn't play out that way, the game ended up removed from the PS store and players got refunds en masse.

Although it is possible to do what you are saying, it is extremely unlikely for a number of reasons, some of which have been mentioned.

Last edited:
I bet it will look worse than GTS, but it's not such a big drama, GTS looks very good for PS4... Assetto or PCars for PS4 look worse.
AC and Pcars spent the resource budget elsewhere, hence the reason why they have more details physics and (in the case of PCars) dynamic weather and ToD.

For PD to dial back the graphics on GT7 from GTS for the PS4 they would have to discard one of the series USP's that has been in place since day 1 of the entire series. The last time they tried a move like that it didn't end up working very well from a PR perspective (I know full well, as we (the staff) had to moderate the mess that was the fall out from Standard cars and tracks). I can assure you, for the vast majority, it would most certainly be a very, very big drama. Hell, this thread is already starting to show that, and that's without the post the staff have had to remove from public view!

We live in the age of information, gamers nodaways are very well informed about hardware and what they will get.
As a member and moderator here for near two decades I can 100% assure you that this claim will not age will at all.

They have youtube to see gameplays and reviews... Or else they have friends or even physical game shop dependents to inform you. If anyone rages about "being ripped off" for getting PS4 GT7 then I'd say its their fault for not knowing what they're getting.
Cavet emptor is a really poor way of running a business in this day and age.

Last edited:
This is dumb. Even bean counting, it's dumb. GT has ALWAYS been a console pusher, and this game could EASILY, along side Horizon Forbidden West (correction: Horizon WILL NOT be a PS5 exclusive), will move PS5s. Never mind the fact that GT hasn't had a true installment since PS3. PLAYSTATION THREEEEEE (3) PEOPLE! That alone should let Sony/PD know that they need to do something special aka latest tech, latest techniques and features, on the latest hardware. The competition is now more vast. GT has comp on PC now like it or not.

Now I get it; there is a chip shortage and GT is a "niche" game (most people are buying FPS's and adventure games than racing). But don't slight one the greatest titles in Playstation's legacy. It's a legit icon in race gaming history, and in auto sports for that matter. Also, GT has always been a showcase for what Playstation hardware was capable of. I remember people seeing GT5 being demoed on the Playstation 3 at a store and people standing around staring at it in disbelief that they're looking at a game while some kid is playing it right before them. But to me, the biggest reason for GT7 to be a PS5 exclusive: INNOVATION. PD has been a front runner for Sony Playstation in this department. PD showcased dynamic weather/night/day in GT5/GT6 on the PS3. Heck, PD was doing wet tracks on the PS2! And then, all of the sudden, they had to take a step back for GT Sport ... on more powerful hardware ... aka the PS4. A step backwards. So now, it just absolutely has to be in the game, meaning, it has to be on the PS5. True, dynamic weather/night/day, fully ray traced. Not to mention next-gen physics, surround sound, and VR (note: if you have never played a racing title in VR (Oculus/Vive), TRUST ME, TRUST ME). Basically, let PD innovate on the PS5. Don't hold them back on the PS4. Sony, you WANT people, once again, standing around staring in disbelief that they're looking at a game running on your hardware.

Like I said, I get that there is a chip shortage ... CURRENTLY. CURRENTLY being the key word. When this is sorted out, and it will be in the near future says folks with DEEEEEEEEP pockets AND power that are being affected, it would be better that the PS5 already HAS a good stable of exclusive titles available and on the shelves right beside it. Not a bunch of high-res PS4 titles and video trailers of upcoming exclusives. Invest in the future I say.

Scaff has corrected me about Horizon Forbidden West. It will be a high-res PS4 game on PS5.

Last edited:
Reality is there is no shortage of chips for PS5. What they have is huge demand for the thing, far far more demand than there was for PS4 (which PS5 has outsold, even with the apparently limited supplies).

My guess is that ignoring shortages they probably don't have the manufacturing capacity to keep up with current demand.

From this point of view then, if they already have massive demand (that they can't fulfill), they don't need "console seller" games, people are buying the thing anyway. With that out the way, if you were them, would you like to sell your product to ~8m people, or ~118m people ?

As above, lets just wait and see if the game goes to PS4 and what it affects..

Ok I messed up there with the pg13 thing

I bought a ps5 JUST for GT7. Stayed up late and had a couple of sleepless nights to bag one. I was one of the lucky ones. But neither of bothered. Just to be punched in the GUTS!!! with the MASSIVE delay till 2022. Which I was annoyed about. But thought "no no.. its ok. I would rather have a good working good looking game then a patch update mess" ... Then given a uppercut to the chin with this PS4 rubbish.. I didnt hear ONE person complaining that gt7 was ps5 only.. not one!!.
And that's because it would not get ANY better on ps4 as PD had squeezed the last pixel out of that old unit. Your not tell me that Sony and PD have not seen the backlash of this?.. im sorry if you can only get a ps4 I am. But this was to be a "next gen"title. And I feel I have been robbed of my "next gen" excitement.. im a big fan of GT. And have played all of them since the first GT. I have a stream channel that's all about gt sport called "GTrealmracing" live on facebook, twitch and YouTube. So my love for the game goes beyond just a part time player. The ONLY thing now that can respark my fire will be if the ps5 version has PSVR2 for the whole game. As this is the feature I want the most. Reply if this is something your after to guy and gals..
Anyway. I'm off to write a complaint to PD. I'm for one want to air my opinion right at them.
Gtrealmracing❤

TGT has ALWAYS been a console pusher, and this game could EASILY, along side Horizon Forbidden West, will move PS5s.
Umm, Horizon Forbidden West is getting a PS4 release as well, which kind on undermines your entire argument/rant.

Umm, Horizon Forbidden West is getting a PS4 release as well, which kind on undermines your entire argument/rant.
OH REALLY! I did not know that. Well DANG. How many PS5 exclusives ACTUALLY exist currently???? And I'm not talking remakes (i.e. Demon Souls).

TBH, ALL the more reason to make GT5 PS5 exclusive.

Last edited:
AC and Pcars spent the resource budget elsewhere, hence the reason why they have more details physics and (in the case of PCars) dynamic weather and ToD.

For PD to dial back the graphics on GT7 from GTS for the PS4 they would have to discard one of the series USP's that has been in place since day 1 of the entire series. The last time they tried a move like that it didn't end up working very well from a PR perspective (I know full well, as we (the staff) had to moderate the mess that was the fall out from Standard cars and tracks). I can assure you, for the vast majority, it would most certainly be a very, very big drama. Hell, this thread is already starting to show that, and that's without the post the staff have had to remove from public view!

As a member and moderator here for near two decades I can 100% assure you that this claim will not age will at all.

Cavet emptor is a really poor way of running a business in this day and age.
Remember this is a first time they may do a cross-gen game so its not comparable to the PS3 standard cars. It would be comparable if they had done a "crappy" version of those PS3 games to run in PS2, in any case.
If you call it caveat emptor, ok, I prefer to call it "learn to buy what you want and not something else", as if you want an arcade driving game or if you want a more hardcore sim game, or whatever, you may get informed before you get anything. PD and GT cant satisfy the needs of everyone, it's impossible. If people want the best GT7 experience, it's as simple as buying the PS5 console

Last edited:
Reality is there is no shortage of chips for PS5. What they have is huge demand for the thing, far far more demand than there was for PS4 (which PS5 has outsold, even with the apparently limited supplies).

My guess is that ignoring shortages they probably don't have the manufacturing capacity to keep up with current demand.

From this point of view then, if they already have massive demand (that they can't fulfill), they don't need "console seller" games, people are buying the thing anyway. With that out the way, if you were them, would you like to sell your product to ~8m people, or ~118m people ?

As above, lets just wait and see if the game goes to PS4 and what it affects..
Please let me know where I can get silicone chips then as for work we're struggling to get supply

Remember this is a first time they may a cross gen game so its not comparable to the PS3 standard cars. It would be comparable if they had done a "crappy" version of those PS3 games to run in PS2, in any case.
It's comparable because it's what happened the last time PD tried to lower the visual quality of just part of a GT title, your suggesting tha they can get away with doing it for all fo the title and past evidence doesn't support that at all.

If you call it caveat emptor, ok, I prefer to call it "learn to buy what you want and not something else",
Caveat emptor literally means Buyer Beware!

as if you want an arcade driving game or if you want a more hardcore sim game, or whatever, you may get informed before you get anything. PD and GT cant satisfy the needs of everyone, it's impossible
No ones saying they can, or even making that argument at all, so that's an utterly irrelevant point to make.

OH REALLY! I did not know that. Well DANG.
Yep

https://www.ign.com/articles/horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-ps4-cross-gen-not-limiting

Last edited:
It's comparable because it's what happened the last time PD tried to lower the visual quality of just part of a GT title, your suggesting tha they can get away with doing it for all fo the title and past evidence doesn't support that at all.

Caveat emptor literally means Buyer Beware!

No ones saying they can, or even making that argument at all, so that's an utterly irrelevant point to make.
Peole were pissed because they lowered the quality while running on the latest console at the time which was PS3. In this case they won't lower the quality on PS5, but on the older console, that's the difference
Yes, I looked for it. "Buyer beware" applies for everything in life, it's as old as it gets, and was never a bad advice, it's still not and never will be, if you ask me

Last edited:
Peole were pissed because they lowered the quality while running on the latest console at the time which PS3. In this case they won't lower the quality on PS5, but on the older console, that's the difference
Yes, I looked for it. "Buyer beware" applies for everything in life, it's as old as it gets, and was never a bad advice, it's still not and never will be, if you ask me
Which will result in a lower quality title on PS4 compared to GTS.

It's a simple concept to get, every time PD have released a new title (regardless of if it's on the same platform or not) it's improved visually. Which is no surprise as that's actually one of GT as a series USPs. To change that and drop the quality backwards has a parallel to the use of standard cars in GT5 (in that its not the quality advance expected),. and I 100% assure you it will result in significant drama.

You seem to not be aware that the concept of it maybe happening is already doing that! The evidence is in this thread, and your not even seeing all of it!

Which will result in a lower quality title on PS4 compared to GTS.

It's a simple concept to get, every time PD have released a new title (regardless of if it's on the same platform or not) it's improved visually. Which is no surprise as that's actually one of GT as a series USPs. To change that and drop the quality backwards has a parallel to the use of standard cars in GT5 (in that its not the quality advance expected),. and I 100% assure you it will result in significant drama.

You seem to not be aware that the concept of it maybe happening is already doing that! The evidence is in this thread, and your not even seeing all of it!
We have to wait and see for the releases in any case. In this thread people have reached into many conclusions in foresight
I cannot tell if GT7 on PS4 will be "decent enough" until I see it. Although I'll not get it, and I will move on to PS5, not because of this but because of many other reasons.

Last edited:
We have to wait and see for the releases in any case. In this thread people have reached into many conclusions in foresight
Because, once again, Sony and PD have been vague in communication.

I promise you people will not wait and see, but speculate and assume, after all it's something you've already done plenty of in this very thread!

Personally I'm just glad I went to a PC last year.

Last edited:
after all it's something you've already done plenty of in this very thread!
I edited my last post.
I never categorically judged GT7 on PS4 as "decent" "good" or "bad" or anything because first I have to see it.... I just predicted how it could be and I thought it's possible for it to be "decent enough" and at the same time the one in PS5 a lot better (not mutually exclusive)

I don't know whether there are or there are not, but it has been the case for every PS4-5/XB1-S crossgen game to date. The only differences have been visual upgrades, audio upgrades, loading speeds, grid sizes in racing games (park sizes in theme park games), and DualSense support.

We are yet to see what GTAV's "expanded and enhanced" PS5 version means, and we are only 8 months into this generation, but so far there have been no titles with fundamental gameplay mechanics that are different between the two console generation titles.

GTAV launched on 360 and PS3 and stopped receiving content updates almost as soon as the PS4/XBONE versions came out only a year later.

I also don't know of any other racing franchises where most of the cars were essentially last-gen models from nearly a decade earlier. You're right that the precedent has not been set yet, but PD has a track record of setting stupid precedences, and that can't be ignored.

GTAV launched on 360 and PS3 and stopped receiving content updates almost as soon as the PS4/XBONE versions came out only a year later.
Which isn't PS4-5 or XB1-S.
You're right that the precedent has not been set yet, but PD has a track record of setting stupid precedences, and that can't be ignored.
PD is a PlayStation Studios developer. More than anyone else outside the brand, it's bound to PlayStation's rules.

If it was allowed, I'm sure we'd have seen someone doing it by now. That we haven't doesn't say that it's a hard rule, but it makes it less likely that it isn't.

If it was allowed, I'm sure we'd have seen someone doing it by now. That we haven't doesn't say that it's a hard rule, but it makes it less likely that it isn't.
And Im pretty sure the minefield of different trading laws around the world and the sheer volume of red tape you'd have to cautiously navigate through for having two functionally different products both sharing the same name and being on sale at the same time will be a factor in that.

Last edited:

The only thing I've noticed that is better on the PS5 so far is Call Of Duty's use of the triggers. The tension is great and provides nice feedback. I look forward to that and other improvements as time goes on, but at this moment in time, it feels like a PS4.5. And by the sounds of things, I'll be playing GT6.5 :lol:

Jerome

https://www.ign.com/articles/horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-ps4-cross-gen-not-limiting

Nothing against Scaff (again, thanks for pointing out Forbidden West being cross-platform), but this article kind of made me mad.

Quotes from the article:
  • Horizon Forbidden West game director Mathijs de Jonge has explained that developing this new game for both PS4 and PS5 was "not limiting in any way."
  • "I don't think the cross-generation development was limiting in any way," de Jonge said.
  • "I think that the big delta between these two consoles, apart from the 3D audio, quick loading and DualSense of course, is on the graphical side of things. On the PlayStation 5, we can add so much more detail graphically. We can see the tiny hairs on Aloy’s face, for example. You can also see a ton of detail from far away."
Reoccurring statement: cross-generation development. I think what we are ALL looking for is GT7 to be NEXT-generation development. To produce a NEXT-generation product. To INNOVATE and DEMONSTRATE what the PS5 is truly capable of.

Let's take a step back and ask what Sony is truly marketing the PS5 as currently. A next-gen console or a glorious PS4 upscaler? A PS4 Pro ... Super perhaps?

Please let me know where I can get silicone chips then as for work we're struggling to get supply

Oh in the wider world there are shortages.
But in the case of the PS5, they've outsold the PS4 and demand is still huge. Ignoring chips do they (and their suppliers) have the capacity to fulfil that demand ? I'm dubious.

Either way, its clear that the PS5 doesn't need "console seller" games, people are buying them regardless, sometimes from scalpers at markup because they are so desperate. For now at least, the idea of "GT7 has to be an exclusive cos it sells consoles" is a non starter.

Last edited:

Nothing against Scaff (again, thanks for pointing out Forbidden West being cross-platform), but this article kind of made me mad.

Quotes from the article:
  • Horizon Forbidden West game director Mathijs de Jonge has explained that developing this new game for both PS4 and PS5 was "not limiting in any way."
  • "I don't think the cross-generation development was limiting in any way," de Jonge said.
  • "I think that the big delta between these two consoles, apart from the 3D audio, quick loading and DualSense of course, is on the graphical side of things. On the PlayStation 5, we can add so much more detail graphically. We can see the tiny hairs on Aloy’s face, for example. You can also see a ton of detail from far away."
Reoccurring statement: cross-generation development. I think what we are ALL looking for is GT7 to be NEXT-generation development. To produce a NEXT-generation product. To INNOVATE and DEMONSTRATE what the PS5 is truly capable of.

Let's take a step back and ask what Sony is truly marketing the PS5 as currently. A next-gen console or a glorious PS4 upscaler? A PS4 Pro ... Super perhaps?
PS5 is basically a much more powerful PS4 with some control improvements.
Innovation... Well, I'd say the point of innovation is to fullfill an existing need. Otherwise it's pointless.
Haptic feedback, will be really necessary in GT7? I don't have a clue, but steering wheels don't seem to have it

I don't know if it has been said in this delightful 29 page - as of now - discussion, but PD could possibly do a semi-not really-cross platform GT7. Have the full blown game on PS5 with all features. And do an update / add on expansion to GT Sport. With this, there would be a clear demarcation between versions so both sides would have a pretty good idea that they would be playing two different games on their respective consoles.

Needs to?

I can think of at least four that don't manage that, two of which never had a chance of hitting 60fps and two that struggled to outside of ideal conditions. To date more GT titles have been sub-60fps that have been locked (or as good as) 60 fps titles.

Why you have to be so technical? Since GT5 prologue, the aim has always been 60fps. Sure it’s not always a perfectly locked 60fps, but that’s the standard now. My whole point is that they probably won’t settle for 30fps under normal condition. If anything Kaz mentioned crazy fps like 240fps.

Even PS5/PS4 cross gen games in “performance” mode sometimes struggle to lock at 60fps, under heavy load, but that doesn’t mean they’re not attempting to run at 60fps.

Quotes from the article:

The trick is not to be so invested in a game or console .

The thing is what exactly do you expect PD to do with the extra power of the ps5 ?
I dont expect them to improve tire physics as they have had two decades to improve on that and haven't yet. Again im not expecting better crash physics for same reasons. time of day runs fine on any game in ps4 that uses it . dynamic weather seems run fine in ps4 games that use it .
Except for graphics and grid size im not seeing much to complain about.
Or get a pc, good graphics card , buy rfactor2 and never look back .

Back