Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
I think SONY has learned a lot the last 10 years:
- A console will only last 8-10 years MAX......and that'll only get shorter as technology progresses.
- Marquee titles take a long time to produce (Grand Theft Auto, Gran Turismo, God of War....the list goes on)
- A single title that has the ability to cross consoles will age very well (Grand Theft Auto)

I think Sony has figured out a way to create a title that will be able to maximize their profits, longevity, and inclusiveness. Maybe they were planning this all along. One thing's for sure.... we'll know much more in the ongoing months!!!

On a worse case scenario, this is the best news possible for other race titles and consoles. If GT7 falls flat, a lot of us will fully migrate over to PC and/or other titles!

Seems like the FIA Championship affiliations are getting in the way of the GT7. Sony are not willing to close the door on the millions of GTSport players so we will now enter into a transitional phase between 8th & 9th gen. This transitional window will prolong the life of the 8th gen consoles and stagnate the shift into the 9th gen. It will be very interesting to see how Sony react when a true 9th gen Forza lands.

If GT7 is to be a cross platform title then PD need to start letting us know what key features are confirmed for the PS5.

Top of my list is a full VR across the campaigns and online.

I don't like the sound of this at all.

The only possible thing that could save this would be if the game code and player bases were split into two different games.

If the games are connected and players can race against each other then this is going to destroy a lot of potential for GT7 on PS5. It will mean no large grids for example and will also massively constrain any improvements to the game physics and will likely kill any chance of dynamic weather & tracks etc.

Last edited:
Possibly unpopular opinion here but it's really not the end of the world for me. I've been moving my games more and more to PC and pretty much only buys PS for GT games, so having GT7 on PS4 is gonna save me loads of cash for the forseeable future. As long as they keep the FIA events running on both platforms that's enough for me.

The only negatives I can see with GT7 on PS4 are:
1) Graphics not as good as it could be - not an issue for me because I never really care about graphics. I play ACC on all Low settings because my PC is outdated and I still enjoy it massively. If you ask me, gaming graphics has been "good enough" since PS3 gen.
2) Slower loading times - again not an issue because GTS already loads pretty fast even without SSD.
3) No dynamic time of day/weather - again I'm willing to take a graphics/FPS/resolution hit if it means we can have this on PS4. Even playing Driveclub I don't really notice that it's 30 FPS.

Apart from that, a racing game is a racing game. It's cars going round in circles so there is nothing that the PS5 can do that the PS4 couldn't.
1) More cars - even easier because they don't need to remodel everything to higher quality.
2) More tracks - as above.
3) Menu/UI revamp - easy and not constrained by hardware.
4) Sport mode - starting with bigger playerbase is always good. Also all the online improvements (DR/SR, penalties, matchmaking, server stability, BOP) can also be done on PS4.
5) Physics - people think CPU power is going to be limiting factor. Well, there are sim racing games released around PS2 era that are still ahead of GTS in terms of physics/FFB, so no, this won't be an issue. PD holding back the game for casual players has always been the issue.
6) Sound - same as physics.

Is this really dynamic smooth transitions though? Or is it just loading the various discrete time of days live on track? The shadow movements seem too jumpy to be the former.
The thing is, for "more cars", "more tracks", "physics", "sounds", all of them doesn't need a new game in GT7, they can just keep updating GT7. And it'll be creating headaches to host online events for both players playing PS4 and PS5.

PD developers always prioritize quality. This is a celebration of Gran Turismo. And all will be in a part of Grant Turismo 7 no matter if you have ps4 or ps5. True GT Lovers will understand this. Im so excited about Grant Turismo future. Will be dope!👍👍👍

PD developers always prioritize quality. This is a celebration of Gran Turismo. And all will be in a part of Grant Turismo 7 no matter if you have ps4 or ps5. True GT Lovers will understand this. Im so excited about Grant Turismo future. Will be dope!👍👍👍
Not doubting it will be a good game. Hard to shake the argument though that it would be a better game if it was PS5 only.

Last edited:
Possibly unpopular opinion here but it's really not the end of the world for me. I've been moving my games more and more to PC and pretty much only buys PS for GT games, so having GT7 on PS4 is gonna save me loads of cash for the forseeable future. As long as they keep the FIA events running on both platforms that's enough for me.
Perhaps the less popular opinion looking at the poll :lol:. But you're certainly not alone, else half of the discussion in this thread (and others) over the past few days wouldn't exist.

The only negatives I can see with GT7 on PS4 are:
1) Graphics not as good as it could be - not an issue for me because I never really care about graphics. I play ACC on all Low settings because my PC is outdated and I still enjoy it massively. If you ask me, gaming graphics has been "good enough" since PS3 gen.
2) Slower loading times - again not an issue because GTS already loads pretty fast even without SSD.
3) No dynamic time of day/weather - again I'm willing to take a graphics/FPS/resolution hit if it means we can have this on PS4. Even playing Driveclub I don't really notice that it's 30 FPS.
I see more than that, which I'll get to in your points below:

Apart from that, a racing game is a racing game. It's cars going round in circles so there is nothing that the PS5 can do that the PS4 couldn't.
1) More cars - even easier because they don't need to remodel everything to higher quality.
If you aren't creating things in a higher level of detail then is there really any point in even having a PS5 version? Surely the jump to next gen technology is to make good use of the technological advancements that it brings. Of course PD are going to model the cars at higher detail for the PS5, they will then scale those models down (which takes a lot of time) for PS4.

2) More tracks - as above.
See above, although the environments are considered a weak point of recent GT titles so maybe less so on this.

3) Menu/UI revamp - easy and not constrained by hardware.
Agreed, a fancy new menu is a fancy new menu. On older consoles having a flashy menu could create performance issues but that's not too likely with PS4 or PS5 titles.

4) Sport mode - starting with bigger playerbase is always good. Also all the online improvements (DR/SR, penalties, matchmaking, server stability, BOP) can also be done on PS4.
But since we're launching a new GT title, there is no existing playerbase, it will all be players who ultimately choose to buy GT7 of which no people have yet. All Sony are doing by creating a PS4 version is creating a larger potential consumerbase, that doesn't guarentee better sales profits or success. History shows it can backfire in a big way.

5) Physics - people think CPU power is going to be limiting factor. Well, there are sim racing games released around PS2 era that are still ahead of GTS in terms of physics/FFB, so no, this won't be an issue. PD holding back the game for casual players has always been the issue.
This is what I dissagree with the most. Yes the CPU is an issue, I cannot think of a single PS2 game that comes remotely close to the number physical calculations per second that happen in GT Sport and a PS5 game utilising the PS5's CPU will outshine the PS4 in a big way.

While Gran Turismo isn't and never really has represented the pinnicle of realism, don't confuse that with it not having complex physics, and don't forgot that developing a game is about compromises as much as anything else. So you can say, let's improve the tyre physics model and double the number of values and calcualtions per second that go into that, you would then need to consider, can we do that with 20 cars on track at once or do we need to reduce the number of cars. Then there's, can we do that and also run the game at 60fps with the graphics we have at the resolution we want. The CPU has a say in all of it.

Assuming both a PS4 version and a PS5 version ran on the same physics model, and the PS5 version wasn't improved and taking advantage of the PS4, then the PS4 would absolutely be a bottleneck for the PS5 version.

Go back and look at how much the physics improved from GT1 and 2 to GT3 and 4 and then how they improved again in GT5 and 6 etc. These improvements were not possible on the previous generation consoles.

6) Sound - same as physics.
Sound is a complex issue and as much as it depends on what TV and/or speakers you have, one of the big pieces of hardward that has a big say in the matter is the console itself. Although it's less obvious for many people, as the TV speakers can often be the bottleneck, there are always improvements in potential sound quality with new consoles and technology. Someone with a realtively new top of the range speaker setup that they connect their TV to may find the console the bottleneck though, it will vary from case to case.

Is this really dynamic smooth transitions though? Or is it just loading the various discrete time of days live on track? The shadow movements seem too jumpy to be the former.
It looks like different baked settings, which is what it is as GT Sport uses baked lighting not dynamic lighting for time of day.

Last edited:
My gut is telling me that GT7 will start out as a PS4 and PS5 title (Maybe they'll put PS4 PRO's on sale at a massive discount to double dip with console's too). But GT7.....through updates, will end up requiring a PS5 to access all of the content and features.

I can see them potentially adding full VR to the PS5 version, but that’s it. They aren’t going to put in anything that will make the two versions significantly different from each other, especially since GT7 will have Sport mode with FIA competitions.

A PS5 version of GT7 will not be limited with. PS4 version. It would be like ex: PS4 low graphics / PS5 high graphics.
There is a lot more to a game than graphics. PS4 compat (assuming there is cross play) will absolutely constrain the game engine of GT7. The PS4 CPU was low end even in 2013.

My gut is telling me that GT7 will start out as a PS4 and PS5 title (Maybe they'll put PS4 PRO's on sale at a massive discount to double dip with console's too). But GT7.....through updates, will end up requiring a PS5 to access all of the content and features.!
PS4 Pro was discontinued towards the end of 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
SOMETHING HERE ISN'T ADDING UP.

Either we're missing something major, Sony is leaving out some major details, or they're still trying to figure this out.

To many of us, its pretty clear that making GT7 a Cross-console title was a financial decision. Whatever.

But Sony ALSO KNOWS that a premier exclusive title such as Gran Turismo is a Console-seller.

$70 for a game vs $570 for a game and console seems like a no-brainer to all of us. For instance, I buy a new play station when a new Gran Turismo or Grand Theft auto comes out.... whichever comes first. Many Gamers are like this (we all have our favorite titles respectfully). SONY KNOWS THIS.

Keeping in mind that Sony is a business.....and their primary goal is to make maximum profit. To me it seems like they've figured out a way to maximize their resources while maximizing their profit margins on all fronts..... console selling, title selling, pleasing existing customers, bringing in new customers.

My gut is telling me that GT7 will start out as a PS4 and PS5 title (Maybe they'll put PS4 PRO's on sale at a massive discount to double dip with console's too). But GT7.....through updates, will end up requiring a PS5 to access all of the content and features.

I think Sony has taken in account a few factors that influenced their decision:
- life span of a console
- production time cost to design a game
- life span of game (including DLC)

I think SONY has learned a lot the last 10 years:
- A console will only last 8-10 years MAX......and that'll only get shorter as technology progresses.
- Marquee titles take a long time to produce (Grand Theft Auto, Gran Turismo, God of War....the list goes on)
- A single title that has the ability to cross consoles will age very well (Grand Theft Auto)

I think Sony has figured out a way to create a title that will be able to maximize their profits, longevity, and inclusiveness. Maybe they were planning this all along. One thing's for sure.... we'll know much more in the ongoing months!!!

On a worse case scenario, this is the best news possible for other race titles and consoles. If GT7 falls flat, a lot of us will fully migrate over to PC and/or other titles!
GT6 PS4 rings a bell. The game would have sold so much better on PS4 but they limited it to the PS3 because... potato. Don't expect Polyphony or Sony to do the right thing. Don't expect the versions to be separate or separated over time. And don't expect the PS4 version to be held back to improve the PS5 version.

In an ideal world, the PS4 version would have ray tracing disabled to allow for dynamic time and weather. It could still look great - after all, people still say Driveclub is the best looking racing game ever. Not that I agree with that, but if it can fool a lot of people then the PS4 version will be fine.

As of now, the last 'full' Gran Turismo game with high-quality assets (for the time) and a career mode was 2007's Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

GT6 PS4 rings a bell. The game would have sold so much better on PS4 but they limited it to the PS3 because... potato. Don't expect Polyphony or Sony to do the right thing. Don't expect the versions to be separate or separated over time. And don't expect the PS4 version to be held back to improve the PS5 version.

I think the reason GT6 on PS4 didnt happen is because the CELL vs x86 platform meant that you could not port GT6/ps3 to work on the PS4.

I maintain that GT6 was a cashgrab to get their cell GT5/6 engine one more shot at the cash register before they moved to a completely new engine.

Be that as it may I feel like this place and other like minded enthusiast channels wont like this decision and I get it... people want a clean break and they want a true next gen title. And by the time GT7 hits you can probably get a PS5 for half retail price!

But I feel like the forces against this decision are too strong.

People who have a ps4 and really dont want to spend $500 on a ps5 (assuming you can get one) will like it.

Sony who sees a potentional 100 mil. ps4 user base will like it.

I'm ambivalent about it. I think overall I'm slightly happy about it in a mildy disappointed way. I would like a true ps5 title but the reality is that money is more important to Sony and if they can sell more on ps4 as well then get that cash I guess??? especially since they use the same codebase.

If money is on the table and you dont grab it well the you're the idiot. capitalism 101.

Last edited:
What's crazy is they're pretty much obligated to keep supporting the PS4 version just as long as the PS5 version otherwise you're going to be alienating any PS4 players and strongly putting them off buying anything in future if they go "Future updates are for the PS5 version only" after 6 months.

So 2023, maybe 2024 they're going to have to be still working on updates for a PS4 game.

Last edited:
Further I think that since ps4/5 are both x86 then I can expect background maintainance and game compatibiliy is easy and cheap at least compared to ps3 cell going forward.

It remains to be seen what game differences are between ps4/5 on gt7. If the ps4 is a vastly watered down version then that's one thing. If ps4 maintains fhd 60 and you lose just gfx stuff then.... ok?

If its a Forza Horizon 2 xbox 360 vs xbox one situation then, no good?

Did they mention if its cross buy???

Why is everyone acting like 2020 never happened?

A few factors to consider, an unexpected huge increase in PS4, GTS and PS+ sales, a shortage of chips for PS5. And a delay in production not only for the game industry but the entire car industry too. And on top of that a delay in all motorsports, now only running in a limited capacity.

Any business would adapt to such factors. I'd be more worried if they didn't.

If that was the case then Sony would've used the old mighty Emotion Engine processor instead of a Ryzen, man they're so bad at making consoles!

Last edited:
I wouldn't say having those standard cars in GT5/GT6 as prioritizing quality.

I really don't get it. If GT7 was set to release very soon and wasn't going to take heavy advantage of the PS5's capabilities, then it might've made sense to put it on PS4 as well. But 2022? A first party title? Sure, GT6 released on a last gen console too but that was less than a month after the PS4 came out. However with GT7 we're talking at least about one and a half, if not two years into the lifecycle of the new console. At that point, releasing a game that has to work around the limitations of the PS4 is nonsense to me. There is no way this is actually happening.

For the time being, I will be clinging to this:

If and when actual confirmation appears, I'll write the article about it. For now:

View attachment 1014843

Last edited:
Ok I've been following this thread from start and have not seen one positive post, I've seen compromising ones, reasoning ones, even a few that surrender to this development, but no positive posts.
Can anyone find anything truly positive about this GT7 cross platform decision?

The PS4 versions of cross gen games work on the PS5 because of backwards compatibility, but it doesn’t work the other way around.
Not what I'm talking about. The two games are identical whether you buy the PS4 version or the PS5 version. There is very little differences outside of graphical fidelity and frame rate differences. They all contain all the same exact features. Something that is not even remotely similar to what GTA has done and is doing. So it would make more sense that games follow this way, since, you know, I think all of them are already doing it like that.

Further I think that since ps4/5 are both x86 then I can expect background maintainance and game compatibiliy is easy and cheap at least compared to ps3 cell going forward.

It remains to be seen what game differences are between ps4/5 on gt7. If the ps4 is a vastly watered down version then that's one thing. If ps4 maintains fhd 60 and you lose just gfx stuff then.... ok?

If its a Forza Horizon 2 xbox 360 vs xbox one situation then, no good?

Did they mention if its cross buy???
It wont be a vastly watered down version, It's more likely it's going to be the exact same game across both platforms and that's obviously going to hold back those demanding features that they completely removed from their last game. There hasn't been a game this whole generation that just passed that worked like the Xbox 360/Xbox One Horizon 2 since the launch of the Xbox One. Even now, there is no game that is working like that with gross-gen titles currently on the new gen, so it just really doesn't seem likely at all.

Last edited:
Do you remember standard & premium cars? The premium are made with quality but still the standards...

Ok I've been following this thread from start and have not seen one positive post, I've seen compromising ones, reasoning ones, even a few that surrender to this development, but no positive posts.
More people playing multiplayer

Basically two games in each generation and this time it's crossing over to a new generation. For me this is good news.
To me it's bad news because with this schedule the next GT will come out at the end of generation with the ps5 hardware that will be already old and they will make it cross gen with the ps6...

Last edited:
Hard work being a Gran Turismo fan eh.
Are we ever happy?

“MOAR CONTENT! MOAR GRAPHICS!”

I feel like for some folks it’s been a constant disappointment train since GT4.

Let’s be honest, no other racing game comes even close to capturing the magic of GT. Trust me, we’ll be fine.

Hard work being a Gran Turismo fan eh.
Are we ever happy?

“MOAR CONTENT! MOAR GRAPHICS!”

I feel like for some folks it’s been a constant disappointment train since GT4.

Let’s be honest, no other racing game comes even close to capturing the magic of GT. Trust me, we’ll be fine.
giphy.gif

Some people like things, some people don't like things. It's ok for people to dislike things that you like, and viceversa.

I’m speaking strictly for myself here, but I’d like to be able to play GT7 without going through all the hoops I need to jump through for a PS5, especially because demand is so high that I think it will still be difficult to get one even after the perceived chip shortage subsides, not to mention more affordable. Yes, this will probably be a case of ‘you get what you pay for.’

If the talk of GT7 coming to the PS4 is indeed correct, I’d find it ideal if development for the PS4 version is outsourced so Polyphony can focus solely on the PS5. Alas, Kaz is quite headstrong when it comes to the issue so I’m not optimistic.

Back