Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
giphy.gif

Some people like things, some people don't like things. It's ok for people to dislike things that you like, and viceversa.
Sure is and they’re entitled to express their opinions. That’s the whole point of this forum.

They should make them two versions of the game. The PS4 can be "base" GT7 and have it just be GT Sport with all the new menus and assets, if I'm correct in assuming the physical models are the same. Then they can market the PS5 version as GT7 A-spec, with the updated physics and whatever new features that would not work on PS4, and stress that it will be seperate from the base version as far as online play is concerned.

Of course this probably goes against what Sony has in mind but if they REALLY want to sell a PS4 game I feel like it shouldn't affect players that want to buy a PS5 game.

Sure is and they’re entitled to express their opinions. That’s the whole point of this forum.
Then why make fun of them:
“MOAR CONTENT! MOAR GRAPHICS!”

For the record, I am one of those who believe that GT4 was the last full and satisfying GT because it was on par with its era.

No other game has the magic of GT? Your opinion. GT lost its magic, in MY opinion.
And since GT5 was a complete failure, in my eyes, I bought an xbox 360 to play Forza 3. I wanted to see what was all the fuss about. And since then played all FM religiously. Never had so much fun before.

I'm one of those who would buy a playstation just for GT. Well this time I'm not sure I will.
GT already lacks so much stuff we've been complaining about for years. This multiplatform outrage will just put the last nail in the coffin in they don't give me a damn good list of reasons to get GT7 on PS5.

"More content" ... Yes. I don't need to explain this one.
"More graphics" ... Of course. If it's true that the PS4 version will hold back the real GT7 graphics, it's normal that people get mad at Sony for their decision. Not to mention the waste of time and resources to make and keep the PS4 version updated instead of concentrating all efforts on one real next gen title. The one everybody is waiting for.

My opinion.

Last edited:
I remember there being a thread about people buying a PS console, just for Gran Turismo. I haven't scored a PS5, but I'm one of those people that buy a console just for GT. People like me, were told by others, it doesn't make sense and that there are other games to buy a console for. Just seems like most people here, bought the PS5 for GT. Stay strong my people. ;)

I remember there being a thread about people buying a PS console, just for Gran Turismo. I haven't scored a PS5, but I'm one of those people that buy a console just for GT. People like me, were told by others, it doesn't make sense and that there are other games to buy a console for. Just seems like most people here, bought the PS5 for GT. Stay strong my people. ;)
I mean I know it's not a wise investment to go about it that way, but that was also going to be me as well. Kinda glad I didn't jump on the new console so quickly, to be honest.

Like I said countless times, the PS5 and even the Xbox Series X is worth the upgrade for the hardware alone.

I bought PS5 for GT7 and Horizon 2 :boggled:

But well is a great console, so no problem after all

We'll be near the end of the generation by the time a true next-gen Gran Turismo comes out given how slow Polyphony works. :lol:

Except they'll be promising how great GT8 will be on the PS6 or the PScloud or whatever, and not-to-worry because everything was future-proofed back in the GTsport days. PD is truly a dinosaur among PSstudios.
Personally, not interested at all in a PS4 version of GT7, and given the chains PS5 GT7 has to its predecessor, I'm really thinking of skipping this gen entirely.

We all know what happened when PD changed the focus of GT6 from PS4 to PS3. And here we are again... just waiting for the PS4 standard models vs. PS5 premium models statement from PD. It's coming... you'll see

Last edited:
This is not mutually exclusive with the possibility that game be offered on PS4 (pro).
Sadly, I don't think you can avoid not making concessions on detail when the game needs to look like this on PS4 to achieve 60FPS. What will look like when they need to squeeze in Dynamic weather/time for GT7? Who knows. I just hope that the PS5 version doesn't get negatively affected by the PS4.
upload_2021-6-4_18-4-39.jpeg

I bought a PS3 explicitly for GT5, and not a day before that game released. I didn't buy a PS4 explicitly because I didn't like the concept of GT Sport. I was planning to explicitly buy a PS5 for GT7. Sony, you listening? :lol:

Last edited:
Why is everyone acting like 2020 never happened?

A few factors to consider, an unexpected huge increase in PS4, GTS and PS+ sales, a shortage of chips for PS5. And a delay in production not only for the game industry but the entire car industry too. And on top of that a delay in all motorsports, now only running in a limited capacity.

Any business would adapt to such factors. I'd be more worried if they didn't.
The only reason there was a huge increase was because of the worldwide lockdowns. This surge has been over for a very long time and won't come back. And the PS5, despite the chip shortage, has sold better than any other PS console in the same time from launch.

I will not be surprised if GT7 gets further and further delayed until it ends up as a PS5 exclusive anyways.

Personally (and selfishly), I'm not opposed to releasing it on PS4 at all, since a PS5 is pretty much out of question for the time being.

One good thing about the game being cross-gen is that the number of players available for online races will remain high. I imagine the multiplayer services will continue and include GTS players. When it comes to changing the core engines of the game, this was basically their only choice without having to split multiplayer pools down the middle, literally cutting potential players in half and requiring completely different servers for PS5-exclusive players, of which there wouldn't be many because nobody can even get a console.

From that perspective I think this choice should've been expected and shouldn't disappoint anybody. I mean, as far as I can tell the PS5 may as well not even exist yet because it's unattainable so for that reason alone the best I could hope for with GT7 is expanded content and better graphics which is pretty much all I really desire.

Not sure how I feel about GT7 being on both the PS4 and PS5, should that come to pass. I was one of those who waited to buy a PS4 until there was a GT game available, and though I bought a few more games (used), GT Sport has been the main game for 98%+ of use of the console. I have no plans to buy a PS5 until a GT game appears, depending on my situation at that time. The same game appearing on both consoles, and on a console I already have would potentially save me a lot of money, depending on how different the game is on each console.

How they could differentiate the same game on both consoles to entice PS4 owners to also buy a new console would have to be seen, but it would have to be a lot more than faster loading screens imho. If the differences are higher resolutions (output and assets), and/or higher frame rates, but essentially the same game, that would not be enough for me to also get a PS5. GT Sport looks nice enough for me, and any visual improvements are getting harder to 'see', imho.

I was also disappointed with GT Sport being such a small game, and relying on an internet connection for most of the features. GT7 was looking like a return to the model of previous GT games, with hopefully some things improved, and new modes added, because of the extra processing power of the PS5. If having to also work within the constraints of the PS4 limits what could have been possible with just a PS5 version of the game, that opens up the possibilities of disappointing the PS5 owners as the game may not be as big a jump on a new console that may usually be expected to be.

One of the main things I was hoping for, along with a return larger more featured GT game, for was better AI during races, as I play mainly offline, and if they need to be using up all the processing power of a PS4 to improve on GT Sport's features, I can't see there being much left for AI improvements on a PS4. And I can't see there being major differences with such deep integrated features of such things as the number of cars in a race, and the AI to go with that, and other features between two versions of the game from a programming pov, going from the experience of how quickly Polyphony Digital take working on one version of a game.

I am hoping for a PS5 only version of the game that blows everyone away, even if it does end up costing me to eventually get a PS5. ;)

Why is everyone acting like 2020 never happened?

A few factors to consider, an unexpected huge increase in PS4, GTS and PS+ sales, a shortage of chips for PS5. And a delay in production not only for the game industry but the entire car industry too. And on top of that a delay in all motorsports, now only running in a limited capacity.

Any business would adapt to such factors. I'd be more worried if they didn't.

Sony's been pumping out PS5s faster than they've ever done for previous consoles. It's hard to get right now not because of production delays but because everyone wants one. It's just been difficult to scale production even higher to meet this demand.

You'd think with the enormous demand as it is Sony would capitalize on more PS5 exclusives to push for more interest instead of giving people reasons to not have to upgrade...

Last edited:
One good thing about the game being cross-gen is that the number of players available for online races will remain high. I imagine the multiplayer services will continue and include GTS players. When it comes to changing the core engines of the game, this was basically their only choice without having to split multiplayer pools down the middle, literally cutting potential players in half and requiring completely different servers for PS5-exclusive players, of which there wouldn't be many because nobody can even get a console.

From that perspective I think this choice should've been expected and shouldn't disappoint anybody. I mean, as far as I can tell the PS5 may as well not even exist yet because it's unattainable so for that reason alone the best I could hope for with GT7 is expanded content and better graphics which is pretty much all I really desire.
Forza Motorsport, a game that sells significantly less than GT hasn’t really had issues with finding people to play with online. I doubt it would be the case here, not only that but there’s no way to tell if half the player base would be on PS4 in the first place.

For a console that no one can get and that is so unattainable it’s odd how it happened to sell a good bit more than previous generations off the bat. :confused:

Sony said this month "we are ramping up production of PS5s over the summer and into the second half of the year with hopes to return to normality in terms of the balance between supply and demand during that period." and are estimating they will have sold 37 million PS5s by 2022. Despite shortages it's been outselling the PS4 within the same time span since release.

When GT7 releases next year there will be a large userbase on PS5 with plenty of players. PS5 actually got a recent stock boost and games like Spider-Man MM has seen a boost in sales with 88% of it being from the PS5 version.

Sony is also doubling down on making more Live Service games, like GTSport. It's pretty much guaranteed GT7 is going to have post-launch updates and DLCs for years to come. All of which, will be handicapped with those updates also needing to support the PS4 version.

The GT7 reveal trailer has almost 10 million views; that's already more than all of the GTSport's announcement reveal trailer, gameplay unveil trailer, 2016 e3 gameplay, opening launch trailer combined. People are hungry for a true next-gen GT. With the PS4 parity we're basically just getting another GTSport.

Last edited:
Forza Motorsport, a game that sells significantly less than GT hasn’t really had issues with finding people to play with online. I doubt it would be the case here, not only that but there’s no way to tell if half the player base would be on PS4 in the first place.

For a console that no one can get and that is so unattainable it’s odd how it happened to sell a good bit more than previous generations off the bat. :confused:
Sales numbers have been almost exactly the same as the PS4 through this point in its lifespan but that comparison probably isn't going to last now the sales are severely restricted. Overall you're looking at a pool of nearly 115 million PS4s in the world compared to 8 million PS5s currently, and by the time GT7 comes out...the PS4 had only sold 30 million units after two years on the market. So when it comes to the potential playbase upon GT7's release, you're looking at around 30 million PS5 units vs 115 million+ PS4 units. And that 30 mil assumes that the PS4's sales trend holds true which is not the case because of this hardware shortage. If GT7 were a PS5 exclusive, its playerbase would immediately be a fraction of the PS4's and would remain stunted for years.

Who was disagreeing with that? lol

If anything, you're the one making it seem like it's a problem that they're expressing an opinion, only because you don't share it.
People are concerned and I get that. And I have zero problems with people expressing their opinions. Sorry what am I missing here? Think you’re trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Driveclub urinated all over your beloved GT.. and will continue to for quite some time it seems
Massive fan of Driveclub FYI, hands down one of the best arcade racers of all time. However considering the original developers folded many years ago it hasn’t “pissed on my beloved GT” for quite some time.

Jesus some folks are salty.

Last edited:
If GT7 were a PS5 exclusive, its playerbase would immediately be a fraction of the PS4's and would remain stunted for years.
"Remain stunted for years". I don't understand.

GT has always been a system seller. That's really all there is to it. But, yeah, have fun playing daily races on a PS4 in the year 2028. I'm glad Sony is catering to your needs.

Last edited:
Cross-gen games will hurt Sony in the long run. The PS4 may have a large install base but it's dated and people want something new. They might be able to make money in the short term but they'll lose valuable PS5 sales... It would be better to sell 10 million PS5's and 10 million copies of GT7 instead of 10 million copies of GT7 on PS4. It would prove more lucrative in the long term.

I still don't get it. Why make things complicated for them, Sony? This is a good opportunity for PD to focus on a true next gen gran turismo and cram as much next gen tech as they could, now they forcing them to work on a decade old hardware and two separate version of it? They've probably been working with GT7 as early as 2017 and now they have to rework everything just to accommodate the PS4 version. It wouldn't be an issue if they have like 500 people working for them but this isn't PC where they could just set the PS4 to medium and PS5 to very high, optimization takes a lot of time. I honestly don't expect this game to come out any time soon. They need to fire that new head of playstation studios because he is wack.

Last edited:
Its all about money. If they have 100 mil. plus ps4 consoles out there and they see that there will be millions of extra copies sold on ps4 then that's a heap of revenue coming in given that the codebase to GT7 will be portable to both generations.

Also they will frame it as "for the players"... they're not abandoning 100 mil. plus owners of the past gen.

For them its super win win win.

For us here its not so much but if I was a Sony business person would I truly care about the opinion of peasants on various enthusiasts forums over the fact that I can make a bed money of the backs of ps4 owners???

Nah son get that cash.

A lot of this could been avoided if we had different racing games that are exclusive to PS but nah GT has to have the monopoly in it just like how Driveclub got killed off.

IIRC GT7 was always meant to be a PS4 title, probably using GTS as a technical base. But it got delayed and pushed to PS5 to be used as a launch title. I don't think PD would just scrap their work and original plan to build a new game from scratch 100% made for PS5.

Have you guys seen the GT7 teaser? Gameplay wise, it literally looks like GT Sport with slightly better graphics. The only difference shown is Trial Mountain and the Porsche 917 and Carrera GT (cars that were probably meant for GT Sport). The racing HUD is the exact same as GT Sport.

Sure the menus change (a nice nod to GT4), graphics are better as expected. But if you want to show the next big GT on the new console...the trailer has to show new EVERYTHING. Like they did with GT5 back in 2010. Not just Gr.3 cars racing in Trial Mountain or a Porsche 917 in the truck scene from the brand contract thing.

IMHO if you are expecting something other than a comprehensive update to what GT Sport is, you're expecting too much. I believe it'll be like the jump from GT5 to GT6. What GT Sport was always meant to be.

I think GT Sport on PS4 looks really good. Sure it would be cool if it looked better. But if GTS is anything to go by, I rather play GT7 on PS4 than having to buy the PS5 just to play it.

This doesn't actually surprise me nor disappoint me. I have always had a suspicion that GT7 was originally meant to be a PS4 title, but then somebody at Sony said lets retrofit the game for PS5 too. Which is one of the reasons that led to the delay.

What surprises me is that so many here expect(ed) the game to be more than just a GT Sport update when all the gameplay that's been revealed clearly is using GTS assets and engine. The content that was new in the trailer was likely originally going to be put into GTS but then withheld from it to be a selling point for the new title.

Last edited:
Back