Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
IIRC GT7 was always meant to be a PS4 title, probably using GTS as a technical base. But it got delayed and pushed to PS5 to be used as a launch title. I don't think PD would just scrap their work and original plan to build a new game from scratch 100% made for PS5.

Have you guys seen the GT7 teaser? Gameplay wise, it literally looks like GT Sport with slightly better graphics. The only difference shown is Trial Mountain and the Porsche 917 and Carrera GT (cars that were probably meant for GT Sport). The racing HUD is the exact same as GT Sport.

Sure the menus change (a nice nod to GT4), graphics are better as expected. But if you want to show the next big GT on the new console...the trailer has to show new EVERYTHING. Like they did with GT5 back in 2010. Not just Gr.3 cars racing in Trial Mountain or a Porsche 917 in the truck scene from the brand contract thing.

IMHO if you are expecting something other than a comprehensive update to what GT Sport is, you're expecting too much. I believe it'll be like the jump from GT5 to GT6. What GT Sport was always meant to be.

I think GT Sport on PS4 looks really good. Sure it would be cool if it looked better. But if GTS is anything to go by, I rather play GT7 on PS4 than having to buy the PS5 just to play it.

GT7 is now releasing 2 years after the PS5, it won't be a launch title. And all of the marketing before its delay mentions it was actually a PS5 exclusive, unlike Horizon Forbidden West which was known to be cross-gen from the start. If they had plans to just make it a slight upgrade to GTSport then it would have been announced as cross-gen when it was revealed alongside Horizon. Plus, if GT7 was PS5 exclusive, that means the DLC and Updates supported throughout the next 2-3 years after launch would be designed around PS5 hardware, not continually held back by PS4 limitations.

And that was just an announcement trailer, they weren't going to unveil everything new until closer to release. We didn't even know GT5 had dynamic time and weather until a year after GT5's unveil trailer in 2009.

The GTSport gameplay reveal one year before its release was pretty ugly and unfinished too, and the final game looked much better. The same was being suspected of GT7's trailer, that the gameplay portion was just using an older GTSport build that was more stable to show off at that point.

But that's just graphics. From a short gameplay clip there was no way to judge anything on AI improvements, physics simulation, damage simulation, dynamic laid rubber, etc. And huge fan requested featurelike dynamic time of day progression and dynamic weather (which was hinted at in the trailer) are now unknown. There might still be dynamic weather but with the PS4 confirmed, whatever potential major improvements over GTSport is significantly less likely. I highly doubt there will be dynamic time + weather considering every 60fps-targeted racer on PS4 with this feature ended up with fps dips into the 30s or 40s.

Last edited:
Not what I'm talking about. The two games are identical whether you buy the PS4 version or the PS5 version. There is very little differences outside of graphical fidelity and frame rate differences. They all contain all the same exact features. Something that is not even remotely similar to what GTA has done and is doing. So it would make more sense that games follow this way, since, you know, I think all of them are already doing it like that.

That sounds like selection bias. GTA and FIFA are not doing it like that, I guess that somehow disqualifies them from being cross generation games. But then how do you know that GT7 will be a cross generation game in the way you understand the term?

Question is : can we hope for an improvement in physics ? AI ? Damages ? What about big features like dynamic weather ?

With the cross-gen, nothing is certain and it's disappointing.

I'm waiting to see GT7 but I no longer have high expectations....

Its great news of making gt7 crossgen. the dynamic time cycles day / night are not problems relevant to me at least but
what really matters is that they fix the penalty factor of the race.
It is clear that PDI is concentrated with ESport join players ps4 ps5 is very good all organized by an interesting number of new generation and historic cars from car culture

The logic of "the PS4 has a large install base" is flawed, because if that's actually what Sony wanted they'd be selling it on PC. I don't see any meaningful amount of people buying a new PS4 for GT7 so the game can't be used that way to drive hardware sales. So it would be purely about shifting units of software, in which case just put it on Steam/Epic and watch it sell 20 million copies.

There's basically no chance of GT7 turning up on PC at release though, even though it would be substantially less stupid than releasing on PS4. Releasing on PS4 is what you do if your company is dying and you simply need the injection of cash to get through the next six months, it's not something that gives long term benefit to the brand.

I bought a PS3 explicitly for GT5, and not a day before that game released. I didn't buy a PS4 explicitly because I didn't like the concept of GT Sport. I was planning to explicitly buy a PS5 for GT7. Sony, you listening? :lol:
Exactly the same here mate. :cheers:

Plus, if GT7 was PS5 exclusive, that means the DLC and Updates supported throughout the next 2-3 years after launch would be designed around PS5 hardware, not continually held back by PS4 limitations

This is the most disappointing part. We’ll probably be in 2024 still receiving updates to the game, and because of feature parity, the PS4 version will probably see those updates too…but imagine having to continue supporting a console that’ll be 11 years old at that time.

Imagine still adding content to the PS4 and continually being held back by it being underpowered and having a slow I/O solution…four years after the PS5 launches.

It seems crazy to me

Last edited:
Like I said countless times, the PS5 and even the Xbox Series X is worth the upgrade for the hardware alone.
Not if there aren't any games for said device.

If you're into racing games then consoles are dead, especially compared to previous consoles.
What did the PS4 have, GTSport and Driveclub? Totally worth it...

I think PD are well placed to make this cross-platform.

They're well used to having experimental builds and forked features, all in parallel during development, even over decades at times. Their dev builds themselves have always been cross-platform, and now that there is little difference between the two consoles and an actual PC, a retail PC build has also never been more likely (but still very unlikely because Sony ecosystem).

The raw content is already available in several formats to suit different platforms, and let's not forget that the hardware architecture hasn't really changed this generation. Nothing at all like it did between PS3 and PS4. And the PS3 GTs already benefited from SSDs, interestingly, unlike most games of that era.

There's absolutely no reason that they couldn't implement new features that take advantage of the benefits of the PS5 hardware and continue to use the legacy stuff, with a few years' worth of optimisations, for PS4. Yes the PS4 version likely won't have certain features, but that hopefully will be made clear - and people had better start to expect that will be the case.

Of course, it'll be like GT7 Standard and GT7 Premium, so this argument will rage on out of ignorance forever...

I see this as the flipside to backwards compatibility, personally. It's about the same amount of work per title, so yay.

There's absolutely no reason that they couldn't implement new features that take advantage of the benefits of the PS5 hardware and continue to use the legacy stuff, with a few years' worth of optimisations, for PS4. Yes the PS4 version likely won't have certain features, but that hopefully will be made clear - and people had better start to expect that will be the case.

Of course, it'll be like GT7 Standard and GT7 Premium, so this argument will rage on out of ignorance forever...

The PS4 and PS5 versions have to coexist on the esport side of things so it goes to reason the features that aren't possible on PS4 also won't be available on PS5.

Where have you got that from?
Probably guesstimating, the news confirming that it will be cross-gen also confirms that making it cross-gen was a relatively recent decison, whereas we know it was already confirmed for PS5 and had been advertised as a PS5 exclusive by Sony prior to this.

There is also still no official confirmation from Sony or PD that it will be a cross-gen title, the interview confirming it is not definitive and news outlets claming that they have had confirmation may simply be reading more than there is into the same confirmation that GT Planet received, which did not confirm anything.

So we're still at the moment at a stage where it probably is cross-gen, but we still don't know that for sure as we are still pending confirmation. But the point before the tangeant was that if it is cross-gen and these outlets are right that this is the case and have recieved adequate confirmation, which GT Planet has not recieved to deate, then it is also reasonable to assume that they have also been led to understand making it cross-gen is a recent decision as their articles claim, meaning it was not originally planned as a PS4 title.

Last edited:
I think it`s brilliant if it comes out on ps4, imagine the scenario if its ps5 only, the game gets released, and we still cant buy a ps5...hehe:banghead::banghead::banghead: besides on the ps4 pro gt sport looks blooming incredible anyway, the trailor i saw for gt7 just looked like gtsport...

people are projecting its gonna have ray tracing and whatever is in the new gpu but the promo videos all show the game quality is gt sport

i'm going to make a prediction and i think the ps4 will continue to do fhd60 while the ps4 ends up doing 4k60 or the choice of fhd120 and maybe something in between for 2k but i'm not even sure if the ps5 supports 1,440p?

i would not be surprised if they dont even bother to include dynamic weather, fixed weather yes, rain yes.

people are projecting its gonna have ray tracing and whatever is in the new gpu but the promo videos all show the game quality is gt sport

That video is going to have been made from a build more than 12 months old though, and we all remember how terrible GT Sport looked in the first early videos.

Obviously also being made for PS4 now changes things but I still wouldn't use that old video as reference for the final game. It'll be coming out at least two years on.

the trailor i saw for gt7 just looked like gtsport...
There's an extremely good reason for that :D
GT Sport has ray-tracing. All of the environments feature pre-baked ray-traced lighting. It doesn't have real-time ray-tracing (where moving objects interfere with light paths, causing further reflection and inter-reflection - the property of a reflective surface showing the change of light path from another surface), and the trailer shown a year ago does.
i would not be surprised if they dont even bother to include dynamic weather
At this point, if GT7 is a PS4 game too, due to the fact that cross-gen games must be identical in function (with better lighting, particle effects, 3D audio & DualSense support, and larger grids in multiplayer) as we've seen on every other cross-gen title, there's only two ways I can see the game having dynamic weather or dynamic time of day (or both) on PS5

The first is if the PS4 version is capped to 1080p30, which will never happen (PD opted for pre-baked lighting on GTS to keep to 60fps; it couldn't implement its lighting model with dynamic weather/TOD at 60fps) but will allow for it to be available across all game modes on both consoles. The second is if it's limited to arcade mode or private lobbies on PS5, so as not to affect multiplayer or career.

Otherwise, it's almost certainly not happening... but then GT7 is still not a PS4 game yet according to its own official page.

Jim ryan stated last year that the big games will be releasing on ps4 and gt7 has already been ind evelopment for a few years. Why would people be surprised by this??

Also what's the big deal, considering gt sport looks stunning already on base ps4, now add ray tracing to that and 4k, with some improved textures and effects over the ps4 version., and much faster load times. How is the ps4 holding the game back? As for real time weather/day night systems, they can still have that in the game, although that was never a major concern of mine.

It'll be pretty funny if it turns out that it is still a PS5 exclusive and there was a miscommunication; or indeed a change of plans like the PS3/Vita store closures that were announced, then indefinitely postponed a few weeks later.

Anyone else think this is them strategically throwing this out there in an attempt to "test the waters" and see what the reaction would be if they decided to go this direction?

That way if the feedback is negative (which it is), they could use the negative feedback to justify the continued pushed release date.

thoughts
They didn't ask anyone for GoW, Horizon, Spiderman, LBP, ... . I know some people clinch on the thought that GT7 won't be cross gen, but that's false hope imo. Grammar just works differently and the example refers the first part of his sentence aka the cross gen part. The we consider part is about games in the future.

A PS5 version of GT7 will not be limited with. PS4 version. It would be like ex: PS4 low graphics / PS5 high graphics.
Will there be physics and AI complexity (not difficulty) settings?

My gut is telling me that GT7 will start out as a PS4 and PS5 title (Maybe they'll put PS4 PRO's on sale at a massive discount to double dip with console's too). But GT7.....through updates, will end up requiring a PS5 to access all of the content and features
A good way to create a storm among PS4 players

Only conclusion that could be drawn here is that its only God of War possibly being confirmed as Cross-Generation
No the conclusion is that the three games mentioned are cross gen. In his audio transcript he didn't even mention the last part of the sentence that users use to deny the confirmation for GT7 being cross gen.

Last edited:
Is this 100% certain?
I don't know if it's a literal requirement or not, but that is how it has functioned thus far across every title on both PS4/PS5 and XB1/XBS.

I've seen FIFA21 cited as an example of where that's not the case. As far as I can tell, FIFA21 adds a new camera angle and a new function for replays of goals in the last ten minutes, but these features don't change the gameplay in any way - other than that it's better graphics, better loading times, DualSense support.

GTAV will be "expanded and enhanced" on PS5, and no-one's quite clear on how it's expanded. New content is probable (PS5 Wreckfest has a unique car too), but ultimately that's no different than a pre-order bonus. Again, no change of gameplay.

Dynamic TOD/weather changes gameplay a lot, and it can't feature on one console but not the other unless it appears outside of career mode (which affects your progress) or multiplayer (which would segregate the player base).

I don't know if it's a literal requirement or not, but that is how it has functioned thus far across every title on both PS4/PS5 and XB1/XBS.

I've seen FIFA21 cited as an example of where that's not the case. As far as I can tell, FIFA21 adds a new camera angle and a new function for replays of goals in the last ten minutes, but these features don't change the gameplay in any way - other than that it's better graphics, better loading times, DualSense support.

GTAV will be "expanded and enhanced" on PS5, and no-one's quite clear on how it's expanded. New content is probable (PS5 Wreckfest has a unique car too), but ultimately that's no different than a pre-order bonus. Again, no change of gameplay.

Dynamic TOD/weather changes gameplay a lot, and it can't feature on one console but not the other unless it appears outside of career mode (which affects your progress) or multiplayer (which would segregate the player base).

Fair enough. I know it was a requirement for PS4 and PS4 Pro versions but I don't think I've seen anything concrete for PS4/PS5. I think it just makes sense though, developing two distinctly different versions of what is supposed to be the same game seems like it would be a nightmare. At that point you might as well just be actually making two games. Plus you don't want to create mass confusion about which version of your game has what.

I'm sure if GT7 is on PS4 and PS5 it will be fundamentally the same.

The game has new animation and physics, too. Agree with the rest and I think hoping for different physics, gameplay effecting features, ... for GT7 is very unlikely.

Last edited:
The game has new animation and physics, too.
New animation doesn't change gameplay; new physics certainly would, but I've not seen any reference to that anywhere. Do you have a source?

I know they don't allow PS4/PS5 crossplay, which would be a solution if the physics are different (and that would be a solution for GT7 too, but that takes a crap on the multiplayer activity argument), but I don't recall anything about the physics actually being different.

Agree with the rest and I think hoping for different physics, gameplay effecting features, ... for GT7 is very unlikely.
Indeed, which would make PS4 GT7 a massive limiting factor for PS5 GT7, if it comes to pass.

Isn’t all pc titles devolved cross generation, that doesn’t seem to stop the likes of ACC or Cyberpunk looking like a different game on the better spec’d machines.
Just seems like with PS4 and PS5 and indeed xbox1 and Xbox series s/x sharing X86 architecture that consoles are following the pc model with regards to games launched cross generation.

I’ll give the example of wrc9 and wreckfest, both look and play miles better on the ps5 that the upgrade has been more than worth it to me so far.

What I don't get is: PD has a hard time into doing one game for one console, and now (supposedly) is making one game for two consoles, how long it will take?

Isn’t all pc titles devolved cross generation, that doesn’t seem to stop the likes of ACC or Cyberpunk looking like a different game on the better spec’d machines.
Just seems like with PS4 and PS5 and indeed xbox1 and Xbox series s/x sharing X86 architecture that consoles are following the pc model with regards to games launched cross generation.

I’ll give the example of wrc9 and wreckfest, both look and play miles better on the ps5 that the upgrade has been more than worth it to me so far.
"Looking like" isn't the problem.

Having a completely different game mechanic which dramatically affects gameplay is the problem. Dynamic weather/TOD is such a mechanic - it totally changes the surface grip, and it would create both career mode and multiplayer races on PS5 that PS4 can't have, unless PD is willing to halve framerates when it's looking to double them. If PS4 can't have dynamic weather/TOD in career or multiplayer - and it's difficult to see how it can - PS5 can't either. Thus the existence of the PS4 version hamstrings the possibilities of the PS5 version.

"Looking like" isn't the problem.

Having a completely different game mechanic which dramatically affects gameplay is the problem. Dynamic weather/TOD is such a mechanic - it totally changes the surface grip, and it would create both career mode and multiplayer races on PS5 that PS4 can't have, unless PD is willing to halve framerates when it's looking to double them. If PS4 can't have dynamic weather/TOD in career or multiplayer - and it's difficult to see how it can - PS5 can't either. Thus the existence of the PS4 version hamstrings the possibilities of the PS5 version.
Do we know for sure that parity between both versions is a given.
I know that was the case with PS4 and pro, but they were considered same generation while the ps5 and PS4 is not.

It'll be pretty funny if it turns out that it is still a PS5 exclusive and there was a miscommunication; or indeed a change of plans like the PS3/Vita store closures that were announced, then indefinitely postponed a few weeks later.
I hope so but this is Herman Hulst, the head of Playstation Studios. And in the very next paragraph, he differentiated HFW, GoW, and GT7 from Returnal and Ratchet & Clank by stating that the latter two will be "showpieces" for the PS5.

Back