Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
Perhaps you can satisfy my curiosity on that subject -- are patches any quicker to install? Normally the PS4 makes an entire copy of the installed game to integrate a patch, once one has been downloaded, to prevent fragmentation with a mechanical drive; a rather arduous process.

Obviously this isn't needed with an SSD, and is in fact an undesirable use of the SSD's limited write cycles. But is the PS4 smart enough to not do that when it has an SSD?
The PS4 still downloads the whole patch. I had a 240GB SSD in my PS4 for a few days to test if it was worth the upgrade and I had to delete GT SPORT and redownload it again just to get the patch. But I bought a 580GB SSD and installed it in my PS4. I used the 240GB SSD because its one of the SSD's I had in my PC for about two years but noe I have an NVME drive in my computer so I don't use it anymore. I am keeping the 240GB just in case my NVME drive fails though.

I don't know the exact reason why GT5 & GT6 weren't the greatest sellers if the franchise. Could be the competition stepped up. Could be about low car enthusiasm from the first GT players that have moved up to PC games. Maybe, as Kaz pointed out, the enthusiasm for cars died off.

I'm fine with blow your mind graphics. I'd love to see the next game have all the bells and whistles. Most people, upset about this current news, are voicing their due concerns. Of course many average players don't understand the reality of what this news may cause for the next game. It's what the discussion is about.

10 million views for the GT7 trailer? No rain clip in sight and people are clicking that video like nobody's business. I think the showing of car customisation, Trial Mountain and the Home screen, are the main reasons. Bringing back the feel of GT 1-4, not an exact carbon copy of those games, has the potential to sell.

Again, it's going to be about if anyone in today's world, really care about cars in general.
GT5 sold well enough, almost 12 million sales, it's the second highest selling game in the series behind GT3, but GT6 is the worse selling game in the series. For many people, GT6 represents the worst game in the series, a common observation about GT6 is also that it released on PS3 after the PS4 came out and they had decided they wanted to invest in a PS4 and PS4 games instead, even if some people didn't have a PS4 at that time, they were saving and/or waiting for one and so GT6 passed them by.

6,730,000 is the difference in sales between GT5 and GT6, that's more than the number of copies GT6 actually sold, so that means at least that many GT5 players didn't buy GT6. GT Sport has sold much better, but still remains the second worst GT game, sales wise, in the series (not counting the non-full game relases like GT Concept and Prologue versions of games).

They need to get GT7 right, GT7 probably will sell well, but getting it wrong after the last two games being the worst two selling games in the series, (GT6 and GT Sport combined sold less than GT3) could end up being a major disaster. And of course, it could be cross-platform and they do get it right, at least as far as sales go, but they categorically are making GT7 a worse product than it could be if they do go cross-gen as opposed to focusing on PS5 only. It's a risk.

Last edited:
crappy PS4 laptop CPUs.
crappy PS4 CPU?? You must be very young! I came from a time, where C64, Atari 2600 and NES were the best of its time! CPU of the PS4 would be godlike for the people there!

I really have no problem, if GT7 comes for both consoles. As long as the safed game can later transfered to the PS5, all its fine. Its even better, because I do not feel wistfully when GT7 comes and I still have the PS4. :)

I want to get the PS5 only on Christmas 2023.

crappy PS4 CPU?? You must be very young! I came from a time, where C64, Atari 2600 and NES were the best of its time! CPU of the PS4 would be godlike for the people there!

I really have no problem, if GT7 comes for both consoles. As long as the safed game can later transfered to the PS5, all its fine. Its even better, because I do not feel wistfully when GT7 comes and I still have the PS4. :)

I want to get the PS5 only on Christmas 2023.

I also grew up playing NES. I don’t see the point of comparison though; we are living the the present, not the past, and are looking to the future. Technology has grown exponentially over the past 50 years thanks to Moore’s law, and as technology advances arrive, the developers want to do even more with it instead of wasting time and resources on old technology.

Last edited:

I mean, that's literally why tech's always advancing, no? Because what was good for its time is still not good enough. Because devs want to be able to do more.

Imagine what gaming could be like today if devs had access to Jaguar equivalent processing power back in the C64 era.

Jaguar is underpowered. That's a statement of fact in 2018 let alone 2021!

Dont use words like 'crappy' because the PS4 was a product of its time. If you think the ps4 is 'crappy' then let me introduce you to the Xbox One classic which from my experience, has *much* more performance issues at FHD than the ps4.

Be that as it may I cannot hate the PS4 too much. That was all that was available in 2014 and it was a pre Ryzen world.

I think that GT7 will still do FHD 60 when it releases. I'm not sure it'll be 100% stable and it could be like the ps3 and do weird stuff like 1,440 x 1,024p @45fps but I still forgive it because if my console is still going when GT7 releases then it's all gravy for me.

I mean, that's literally why tech's always advancing, no? Because what was good for its time is still not good enough. Because devs want to be able to do more.

Imagine what gaming could be like today if devs had access to Jaguar equivalent processing power back in the C64 era.
I think the issue here is the moment some new technology comes out, everything before it is classified as inferior, and then starts getting labelled as "crappy".

I know a lot people are passionate about this topic, but to me the difference between a PS4 & PS5 is as marginal as it's ever been between a new console and it's predecessor.

Kinda surprised there still hasn't been a clear statement from Sony today. I guess they figure not enough people know about it to really change their plans of when they talk about it.

I think the issue here is the moment some new technology comes out, everything before it is classified as inferior, and then starts getting labelled as "crappy".

I know a lot people are passionate about this topic, but to me the difference between a PS4 & PS5 is as marginal as it's ever been between a new console and it's predecessor.

Not really, when PS4 launched people noted that even at the time the Jaguar wasn't particularly good. The PS5 processor is leagues ahead, even if nobody has fully utilised it yet.

Last edited:
Jaguar is underpowered. That's a statement of fact in 2018 let alone 2021!

Dont use words like 'crappy' because the PS4 was a product of its time. If you think the ps4 is 'crappy' then let me introduce you to the Xbox One classic which from my experience, has *much* more performance issues at FHD than the ps4.

Be that as it may I cannot hate the PS4 too much. That was all that was available in 2014 and it was a pre Ryzen world.

I think that GT7 will still do FHD 60 when it releases. I'm not sure it'll be 100% stable and it could be like the ps3 and do weird stuff like 1,440 x 1,024p @45fps but I still forgive it because if my console is still going when GT7 releases then it's all gravy for me.

The ps4/xbo Jaguar CPUs were actually underpowered even by 2013 standards when the PS4 released. Around the end of the 360/PS3 life cycle the game industry was unsure AAA games would even thrive and that mobile games would take over; Sony took a very modest budget approach to designing their next console after reeling in from the expensive failure of making high-end custom hardware like the PS3 Cell processor.

The Jaguars were low powered laptop CPUs in 2013. Mark Cerny even knew the Jaguar cores were so underpowered that for PR purposes he went on about GPGPU computing to offload computations to the GPU that were usually done by the CPU. The PS4 CPU is by all means crappy. In comparison, I wouldn't call the PS3 Cell processor crappy despite its age, it was ahead of its time and is still actually better than the PS4 CPU in some ways.

btw, the Xbox One Jaguar CPU was the exact same as the PS4 CPU but clocked a little higher, so it was actually slightly better than PS4's. Xbone just failed in the GPU and memory set up design to add in the Kinect gimmick.

Last edited:
I see lots of crying and complaining for no reason here. :lol:
GT7 will be a true next gen game and the PS4 version will be a very downgraded thing in terms of graphics, thats about it.
Just like a high end PC (PS5) and a mid-end PC (PS4) they can run the game exactly the same but the high end one can run it on much higher graphics settings.
No problem at all except that PS4 graphics will be far from optimal since the game is designed to be played on PS5... but it should have enough power to handle everything with a low enough settings

Theres no way ps5 could get dinamic tod while ps4 gets stuck with static tod.
So either PD does some VTEC magic to put dinamic time of day on PS4 or people will be stuck with a PS5 gt game based on a 2013 hardware's capabilities.
PS3 could handle dynamic TOD and weather so PS4 can too. With low enough graphics PS4 could handle everything that the PS5 does. It's all about optimization. Playing it on PS4 will be far form ideal and optimal if you want the best visual experience though, thats for sure. But other than that, it should be ok.
Like I said, it will feel like playing a top game on PC with much lower than maximum graphics settings. Obviously a lot better on PS5 but playing on PS4 will better than nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
GT7 will be a true next gen game and the PS4 version will be a very downgraded thing in terms of graphics, thats about it.
Just like a high end PC (PS5) and a mid-end PC (PS4) they can run the game exactly the same but the high end one can run it on much higher graphics settings.
No problem at all except that PS4 graphics will be far from optimal since the game is designed to be played on PS5... but it should have enough power to handle everything with a low enough settings
On GT sport I can have only one car to race against with my PSVR , I'm expecting a full grid with GT7, are you saying the PS4 could handle a full grid with downgraded graphics?, because I very much doubt it.

Gran Turismo 6 and Sport sold far less because they were seen as a bit of a waste of time. GT6 was just Gran Turismo 5 but more boring, and GT Sport abandoned what people liked about the franchise in the first place. Gran Turismo 5 was also quite disappointing for a lot of players, but sold well because there was a lot less choice for a game of its type back then. Quite frankly, for GT7 to sell well, it'll need to be a worthy successor to Gran Turismo 4, and not waste our time like the last three games.

Once again, at launch, Jaguar was
  • A refresh of a 3-year-old design that wasn't very good when it came out in 2010
  • Wasn't designed with the usage that the PS4/Xbone implemented it for (it was designed for ultra portable computers and embedded systems)
  • Was designed in a period where AMD was putting out product so bad all the way up their product stack that you were better off getting their products from 2008/2009 and holding them than you were buying anything they made until 2017 (this is why AMD approached bankruptcy and was sued multiple times)
  • Wasn't even as power efficient as the Intel equivalent that was also more powerful that had released before the PS4/Xbone
  • There were questions of if the PS4/Xbone would even be able to play mobile games in a few years with the rate of speed ARM processors were advancing at the time and the way the industry seemed to be heading then.
  • Launch games were pushing it to the brink, so the usual wiggle room games had with new hardware wasn't even there
  • It wasn't even remotely a secret that Sony and Microsoft chose Jaguar for two reasons: It was the cheapest thing they could use, and neither company wanted to use the Razor and Blades method for that console generation; and it was simpler to design for.
There's no "people are disparaging the PS4 just because the PS5/SeX are out." People were disappointed in the hardware choice made with those systems, especially in relation to the PS360 which were cutting edge at launch (more in theory for the PS3), when both of them were announced. There were plenty of articles that grabbed a Jaguar-equipped computer and tried to spec it like the consoles to see how they stacked up; and countless forum posts hand-wringing about how cut off at the knees the consoles were before they even came out.

Was all of it somewhat overblown then? Yeah, certainly. If nothing using modern GPUs did a lot to drag console games further no matter if the CPUs were barely any better than the PS360's; as did making sure both consoles had ample amount of RAM (even if Microsoft screwed the pooch a bit on speed). But the only revisionist history going on here was the assessment that the PS4/Xbone were ever impressive hardware.

The PS4 wouldn't have been considered a midrange computer in 2013. It sure as hell isn't in 2021.

Last edited:
The PS4 wouldn't have been considered a midrange computer in 2013. It sure as hell isn't in 2021.
Whatever you wanna call it... The point still stands there

On GT sport I can have only one car to race against with my PSVR , I'm expecting a full grid with GT7, are you saying the PS4 could handle a full grid with downgraded graphics?, because I very much doubt it.
I dont know about PSVR... I would not that much of PSVR on PS5 either, its a secondary gimmick that very few people actually use.
The problem is that the resolution settings for a proper VR experience is very very high so the devs focus on the normal TV output res instead

Last edited:
Not really, when PS4 launched people noted that even at the time the Jaguar wasn't particularly good. The PS5 processor is leagues ahead, even if nobody has fully utilised it yet.
This is my point. We're 7 months into a new console, and the things that are supposed to make it "NextGen" aren't even being utilized.

If I buy a computer, and then update the processor, can I call my computer a NextGen computer? :lol:

No, it doesn't. You can't make a "true next Gen game" if you're shackling it to 8 year old hardware. Until this apparent complete flipping of the script, Sony even felt fit to mock Microsoft for the latter suggesting that they could.
This 8 year old hardware has the same basic architecture of the PS5 so yes they can
Just like you can run a 2020 o 2021 game on a 8 year old PC, exactly the same
Very likely that GT7 on PS4 won't have exactly "good" graphics and they will be worse than GT Sport, but you still can play the game, I suppose that's what they want, the possibility that so many million can still buy GT7 even if it's a downgraded experience.
This complete flipping of the script is due to the pandemic first and then the huge semiconductor supply shortage, it looks like a necessary move for Sony

Last edited:
New technology is fine and all but graphics aren't everything. Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, FFVI, FFV, FFIX ALTTP, OoT will still always be some of the greatest games of ALL TIME regardless of how old or so called 'outdated' they are

New technology is fine and all but graphics isn't everything. Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, FFVI, FFV, FFIX ALTTP, OoT will still always be some of the greatest games of ALL TIME regardless of how old or so called 'outdated' they are
Oh man I love Zelda ALTTP, yes, I agree, for me one of the best games of all time, released almost 30 years ago and still very fun to play today, insane

Which is fine and all, but we already know that the PS4 couldn't handle the full TOD/Weather effects with PD's lighting model in 1080p60 on PS4... because PD eliminated it specifically to hold the game to 1080p60 on PS4.

That still leaves only three possibilities. Either PD has found a way to make it work in the last four years (and the console already makes a racket without it), or it'll do something it has never done before and downgrade GT7 to 1080p30 on PS4 and make it look worse than GTS, or it simply won't appear in the game at all - it is a gameplay changing mechanic and everything we've seen of cross-gen games says that the games must play in an identical manner.

If your money is on the 1080p30 option, that's fine, but it'll be the first deliberate step backwards in graphics in the entire history of Gran Turismo.

Oh man I love Zelda ALTTP, yes, I agree, for me one of the best games of all time, released almost 30 years ago and still very fun to play today, insane

I love ALTTP! It's a very nostalgic game for me. My first experience with it was watching my big bro play it when I was a kid in the 90's. My first playthrough was in 2016.. it was dang hard but I loved it. What do you think of Chrono series and the golden age Final Fantasies?

This 8 year old hardware has the same basic architecture of the PS5 so yes they can
Yes they can what? Make a PS4 game that looks better on PS5? Because that's not a "next gen game" at that point.

Actually, no, you probably can't play a 2020 or 2021 game on a computer from 2013 without some serious compromises. It's even possible (and if you haven't upgraded the GPU, probable) some games just won't run at all anymore. You'd probably be fine if you had a Sandy Bridge i7 overclocked like mad and had upgraded the GPU at some point, but anything by AMD? Anything by AMD when coupled with even a 780ti from 2013? Nah. And you certainly can not do so if you were trying on something as bad as Jaguar was even in 2013.

One would have thought that the disaster that Cyberpunk was on consoles would have been enough of a real world example of that.

This complete flipping of the script is due to the pandemic first and then the huge semiconductor supply shortage, it looks like a necessary move for Sony
Best selling console in the history of the videogame industry. Sony themselves have noted that it's sold better to date than the PS4. Expect to sell over 20 million consoles by the end of this year.

Last edited:
Which is fine and all, but we already know that the PS4 couldn't handle the full TOD/Weather effects with PD's lighting model in 1080p60 on PS4... because PD eliminated it specifically to hold the game to 1080p60 on PS4.

That still leaves only three possibilities. Either PD has found a way to make it work in the last four years (and the console already makes a racket without it), or it'll do something it has never done before and downgrade GT7 to 1080p30 on PS4 and make it look worse than GTS, or it simply won't appear in the game at all - it is a gameplay changing mechanic and everything we've seen of cross-gen games says that the games must play in an identical manner.

If your money is on the 1080p30 option, that's fine, but it'll be the first deliberate step backwards in graphics in the entire history of Gran Turismo.
My money would be on 60 FPS but slightly less resolution than 1080, and then upscaled from that point to fit the 1080 output.
Resolution is a MASSIVE factor on the graphics settings and power requirements and all that. Remember, true 4k requieres basically 4x the power of 1080. And 720 requires also a lot less than 1080.
And yes it's the first step backwards, its also the first time in GT history that we've had a pandemic and a semicon shortage
Yes they can what? Make a PS4 game that looks better on PS5? Because that's not a "next gen game" at that point.

Actually, no, you probably can't play a 2020 or 2021 game on a computer from 2013 without some serious compromises. It's even possible some games just won't run at all anymore. And you certainly can not do so if you were trying on something as bad as Jaguar was even in 2013. You'd probably be fine if you had a Sandy Bridge i7 overclocked like mad and had upgraded the GPU at some point, but anything by AMD? Nah.

One would have thought that the disaster that Cyberpunk was on consoles would have been enough of a real world example of that.

Best selling console in the history of the videogame industry. Sony themselves have noted that it's sold better to date than the PS4. Expect to sell nearly 30 million consoles by the end of this year.
They can make a PS5 game become playable on PS4. Definitely.

Yes, if you are a sybarite you might go "yuck" but please understand and remember we have gone through a big pandemic, so many problems in the world going on, and not everyone lives in a rich country and the first world, so many people have a PS4 and also so many will not be able to afford a PS5 in the near future and in the very short term you wont even be able to buy it.

I love ALTTP! It's a very nostalgic game for me. My first experience with it was watching my big bro play it when I was a kid in the 90's. My first playthrough was in 2016.. it was dang hard but I loved it. What do you think of Chrono series and the golden age Final Fantasies?
Didnt play them

That just confirms you haven't properly read the thread. Understandable given the number of posts and pages but try to at least understand the different points of view before commenting rubbish like that.

And this is why you've completely missed the biggest points about cross gen games, the greaphics are not the problem. The problem is, if the only difference between the games in graphical, and not functional, then the PS5 version of GT7 is not what it should/could be. It should have improved physics, features, AI and the list goes on and on, but these are things that become problematic when it comes to a cross-gen title as the core game functionality tends to remain the same.

PS3 could handle dynamic TOD and weather so PS4 can too.
GT Sport most certainly couldn't. While some games can, everything is a trade-off, calculations per second to improve the physics, AI, dynamic time and weather or pre-baked, resolution, number of cars on track at once, making one thing better/more complex requires a trade off on how good other things could be. By making GT7 a cross-gen game, the PS4 becomes the baromoter for many of these things rather than the PS5.

With low enough graphics PS4 could handle everything that the PS5 does. It's all about optimization. Playing it on PS4 will be far form ideal and optimal if you want the best visual experience though, thats for sure. But other than that, it should be ok.
No it can't, the PS5 can process many times more calculations per second than the PS4, that means the AI, physics etc. can all be better on PS5 than on PS4. In additon, the level design can be better on PS5 over PS4, that means larget track environments with more trackside features etc. THe capabilities of the PS4 are not infinite everything except graphics. For exmaple (and if you'd read this thread you'd have seen this comparison already) the PS1 could not run GT3 game engine with worse graphics, likewise the PS2 could not run the GT5 game engine with worse graphics and the PS3 could not run GT Sport with worse grphpics, because all of these games made progress in ways you can't see as well. There is so much more to a game and game design than polygons and resolution, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Like I said, it will feel like playing a top game on PC with much lower than maximum graphics settings. Obviously a lot better on PS5 but playing on PS4 will better than nothing.
And PC games all have different minimum specs, and those are the baromoter for the games features, not the spec required for ultra settings. Higher specs just provide better graphics not more features. In other words if the PS4 version of the game doesn't have dynamic weather, time of day etc. the PS5 version in all probability won't either regardless of if the PS5 could support it should the game have been designed with it or not.

The only way to make a PS5 game playable on a PS4 is to design it with the PS4 as the minimum requirements, which is what is needed to develop a cross-gen game. If you design a game that takes advantage of the PS5 it will not run on the PS4 (certianly not in a stable and/or playable state) no matter how much you downgrade the graphics to accomodate.

In fact, a game that makes full use of the PS5 in every way except graphics would in all probability simply crash a PS4 while it started up.

Last edited:
Very likely that GT7 on PS4 won't have very good graphics and worse than GT Sport, but you still can play the game, that's what Sony want, the possibility that so many million can still buy GT7 even if it's a downgraded experience.

The "same basic x86 architecture" doesn't say anything in regards to games designed with a higher min spec. It just means developer tools don't have to be completely remade from scratch when moving to the new hardware, so it'll be a quicker transition for them in regards to getting a new game running on new hardware on current tools but will still require a ton of work. The "same architecture" doesn't mean game features and assets that are designed for more powerful hardware are easily just downported and scalable to older less powerful hardware without just outright remaking assets, re-writing lighting and shading models, modifying or removing game features, etc..If the hardware doesn't have the power to run the features and assets at the target framerate, it's not going to period.

Non native 1080(1280 x 1080, 1440 x 1080)p60 is much more likely, but it still wont fix the limited memory issue on the PS4. Most lighting is baked in GT Sport, moving to dynamic lighting would look like crap. I think GT7 will have fixed TODs and the gameplay experience will be the same on both consoles. Otherwise, what's the point in releasing the game on PS4.

Planning to release cross gen titles in 2022 shows Sony does not expect the semiconductor situation to get better anytime soon.

I'm a sucker for graphics, too bad FM8 would also be held back by the XSS.

its also the first time in GT history that we've had a pandemic and a semicon shortage
Best selling console in the history of the videogame industry. Sony themselves have noted that it's sold better to date than the PS4. Expect to sell over 20 million consoles by the end of this year.

Yes, if you are a sybarite you might go "yuck" but please understand and remember we have gone through a big pandemic, so many problems in the world going on, and not everyone lives in a rich country and the first world, so many people have a PS4 and also so many will not be able to afford a PS5 in the near future and in the very short term you wont even be able to buy it.

They can make a PS5 game become playable on PS4. Definitely.
Then it's not a PS5 game. PD are not some sort of programming wizards beyond the realm of technological advances where they can take a game designed for a Ryzen 3000-ish CPU and have it work on hardware originally designed for ATMs and netbooks in 2010 on the basis of "it's the same architecture". Unless PD make two games, somehow, the game designed for hardware made to be put in ATMs and netbooks in 2010 is going to be the basis of both versions. If the rumors about the game being PS5 exclusive and now it has to come out on PS4 as well after the fact are true, that means they'll have to chop and chop and chop and chop to get it to even run on the PS4.

Because, since you clearly didn't bother reading the response to your ignorance about just how far PC hardware has come since 2013, nevermind how far PC hardware has come since refreshes of crappy PC hardware from 2010, I'll post it again as well:
You probably can't play a 2020 or 2021 game on a computer from 2013 without some serious compromises. It's even possible (and if you haven't upgraded the GPU, probable) some games just won't run at all anymore. You'd probably be fine if you had a Sandy Bridge i7 overclocked like mad and had upgraded the GPU at some point, but anything by AMD? Anything by AMD when coupled with even a 780ti from 2013? Nah. And you certainly can not do so if you were trying on something as bad as Jaguar was even in 2013.

Last edited:
And this is why you've completely missed the biggest points about cross gen games, the greaphics are not the problem. The problem is, if the only difference between the games in graphical, and not functional, then the PS5 version of GT7 is not what it should/could be. It should have improved physics, features, AI and the list goes on and on, but these are things that become problematic when it comes to a cross-gen title as the core game functionality tends to remain the same.
GT Sport most certainly couldn't. While some games can, everything is a trade-off, calculations per second to improve the physics, AI, dynamic time and weather or pre-baked, resolution, number of cars on track at once, making one thing better/more complex requires a trade off on how good other things could be. By making GT7 a cross-gen game, the PS4 becomes the baromoter for many of these things rather than the PS5.

No it can't, the PS5 can process many times more calculations per second than the PS4, that means the AI, physics etc. can all be better on PS5 than on PS4. In additon, the level design can be better on PS5 over PS4, that means larget track environments with more trackside features etc. THe capabilities of the PS4 are not infinite everything except graphics. For exmaple (and if you'd read this thread you'd have seen this comparison already) the PS1 could not run GT3 game engine with worse graphics, likewise the PS2 could not run the GT5 game engine with worse graphics and the PS3 could not run GT Sport with worse grphpics, because all of these games made progress in ways you can't see as well. There is so much more to a game and game design than polygons and resolution, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

And PC games all have different minimum specs, and those are the baromoter for the games features, not the spec required for ultra settings. Higher specs just provide better graphics not more features. In other words if the PS4 version of the game doesn't have dynamic weather, time of day etc. the PS5 version in all probability won't either regardless of if the PS5 could support it should the game have been designed with it or not.

The only way to make a PS5 game playable on a PS4 is to design it with the PS4 as the minimum requirements, which is what is needed to develop a cross-gen game. If you design a game that takes advantage of the PS5 it will not run on the PS4 no matter what you do to downgrade the graphics.
I dont think game physics or AI pushes the console capabilities to anything remotely close to 100% CPU, nor 50. The biggest issue by far is graphics.
It was just a choice by PD to not implement TOD and dynamic weather in GTS... but the PS4 certainly could do so.
I don't know what features do you imagine for PS5, physics and AI can be so much better than GTS even on PS4. We've seen older games, made to run on older hardware, with better physics and better AI, so... It just requires work.
As I said above, resolution will be a hell of a lot lower on PS4, that alone makes a massive difference in tems of power demand.
Apart from that expect so many environment elements, textures and details to be massively lower on the PS4 version so it's another big power reduction in this part

Last edited:
No, it doesn't. You can't make a "true next Gen game" if you're shackling it to 8 year old hardware. Until this apparent complete flipping of the script, Sony even felt fit to mock Microsoft for the latter suggesting that they could.
Facts 100%,meanwhile Turn 10 are busy building a true next gen experience with forza motorsport,and i quote,don't call it 8 says chris esaki,it's a complete reboot and new direction for the franchise of what fans love about forza but also to welcome newcomers,the only thing they need to worry about is make it work for series x/s and pc,no restrictions on their end and i truly believe it'll show when they reveal gameplay of it,hopefully sooner than later,maybe even e3 or game summer fest,we'll have to wait and see what happens!

Back