Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
The great thing about a cross-gen game is that the people who want it but don't yet have a PS5 can still enjoy it on their PS4. This is how I see it: The PS4 version was offered to ensure that no-one misses out on the latest GT experience. Making the game more accessible will ensure strong sales and that's why Sony have opted to do it. They know that it's hard for people to get a PS5, so offering the PS4 version negates some of those supply issues. Of course, once these people have a PS5, they can easily upgrade so it's a win win for all the shareholders and PD.
If they really wanted strong sales and to make sure that no one who wanted it misses out, they'd release it on PC.

I’ve only got an old HP laptop, brand new 11” iPad Pro and my cheap mobile. My wife and daughter use the HP all-in-one. So, I ain’t getting on that.
Not sure what it’d take to make “GT7 lite” work on my laptop with a Dual Sense.

I think it's fair to say that most GT players don't care for PC's that much. GT is known as a PlayStation game and it's name recognition is soo strong that it doesn't need to be on PC.
That seems like a hard argument to make without any data. Horizon ZD sold very well on PC, despite being originally a PS exclusive and being 3 years old when released on PC. Both Forzas seem to continue to sell plenty on PC. I think it's fair to say that there's at least a million potential sales for a Gran Turismo game on PC, and that doesn't seem trivial. The fact that Sony continues to bring PS exclusives over to PC suggests that there's absolutely a market there for good games on PC (I mean, duh), but they want to squeeze every ounce of hardware sales out of the Playstation brand first.

Which is almost certainly what's really going on. If Sony/Polyphony wanted pure game sales, they'd be releasing on PC as well. The reality is that the console business is still based around moving hardware, and first party games exist to move hardware. With a bottleneck in the supply of PS5s, the only way to sell more hardware is to make sure that the warehouses of PS4s that they already had stocked up before the pandemic even hit are still attractive enough to sell at above bargain bin prices. That means that the PS4 still needs attractive new games.

If what you meant by "making the game more accessible will ensure strong sales and that's why Sony have opted to do it" was "will ensure strong hardware sales", then I agree. But that's not how it reads to me - you seemed like you were talking about optimising sales of the game itself, and that's not done by restricting the release to PS hardware only. GT doesn't "need" to be on anything at all, but if you're trying to sell the most games possible then you don't do that by cutting off what would probably be your third largest market. Possibly your second largest, depending how many PS5s they've actually managed to ship and how popular the game would be on PC.

That seems like a hard argument to make without any data. Horizon ZD sold very well on PC, despite being originally a PS exclusive and being 3 years old when released on PC. Both Forzas seem to continue to sell plenty on PC. I think it's fair to say that there's at least a million potential sales for a Gran Turismo game on PC, and that doesn't seem trivial. The fact that Sony continues to bring PS exclusives over to PC suggests that there's absolutely a market there for good games on PC (I mean, duh), but they want to squeeze every ounce of hardware sales out of the Playstation brand first.

Which is almost certainly what's really going on. If Sony/Polyphony wanted pure game sales, they'd be releasing on PC as well. The reality is that the console business is still based around moving hardware, and first party games exist to move hardware. With a bottleneck in the supply of PS5s, the only way to sell more hardware is to make sure that the warehouses of PS4s that they already had stocked up before the pandemic even hit are still attractive enough to sell at above bargain bin prices. That means that the PS4 still needs attractive new games.

If what you meant by "making the game more accessible will ensure strong sales and that's why Sony have opted to do it" was "will ensure strong hardware sales", then I agree. But that's not how it reads to me - you seemed like you were talking about optimising sales of the game itself, and that's not done by restricting the release to PS hardware only. GT doesn't "need" to be on anything at all, but if you're trying to sell the most games possible then you don't do that by cutting off what would probably be your third largest market. Possibly your second largest, depending how many PS5s they've actually managed to ship and how popular the game would be on PC.
Alright, Sony are doing it to maximise sales on THEIR OWN HARDWARE. I obviously didn't think that you'd find the caveat in my reasoning but you did. Strange as we're only talking about the PS4 and PS5 here...

Last edited:
Alright, Sony are doing it to maximise sales on THEIR OWN HARDWARE. I obviously didn't think that you'd find the caveat in my reasoning but you did. Strange as we're only talking about the PS4 and PS5 here...
I agree, GT is possibly the most sold game/franchise on PS, why release a game on PC if it sells so many consoles.

Last edited:
I agree, GT is possibly the most sold game/franchise on PS, why release a game on PC if it sells so many consoles.
it’s really not, by a good margin too, I’m pretty sure. The statement doesn’t make sense to me though because they’d only sell more if they open it up, just like history has shown with the many games that have chosen to go that route.

Last edited:
The only hope for PS5 to have vastly improved physics and stuff like large multi-class fields will be if they split the player base. I have heard nothing indicating that will be the case sadly.
The versions need to have the same content in order for them to play together online. PS5 will have better graphics, sounds, and load times.

Point is not to sell console+exclusive, but to made PlayStation main gaming device for multiplatform games. PC players wouldn't play multiplatform games on PS, so there isn't any reason to sell consoles to them(especially if Sony selling them for less than production costs).

There is reasons behind ports of PlayStation exclusive games to PC - Sony doesn't see PC as concurrent to PlayStation anymore.

The versions need to have the same content in order for them to play together online. PS5 will have better graphics, sounds, and load times.
I wouldn't count on the sound part. A better sound card isn't going to do justice if the samples themselves are still of average quality.

Lot of definitive statements being thrown around by people who seem to know the differences.

Reality is we've not seen or heard a single second of PS4 content yet, and Kaz's word on anything cannot be taken as gospel. Let's wait and see (and hear) before we go making any declarations. Well, better graphics is a given, but that's about it. Nothing else is confirmed or denied.

I wouldn't count on the sound part. A better sound card isn't going to do justice if the samples themselves are still of average quality.
Well the article I read said that about the PS5. Obviously we will have to wait to actually see what really ends up being the differences. Might end up not being much at all.

Point is not to sell console+exclusive, but to made PlayStation main gaming device for multiplatform games. PC players wouldn't play multiplatform games on PS, so there isn't any reason to sell consoles to them(especially if Sony selling them for less than production costs).
Sony isn't selling them at a loss anymore already, or at least not the disc version.

There is reasons behind ports of PlayStation exclusive games to PC - Sony doesn't see PC as concurrent to PlayStation anymore.
If that was true why wouldn't Sony release ALL their games on PC?
What do you think the reason for Horizon ZD is released on PC? So people are more likely to buy a PS when the next version gets out, except for those who can wait for years of course.
It's all ways to get more PS sales.

Last edited:
If that was true why wouldn't Sony release ALL their games on PC?
At once? First of all, they don't have enough resources for this. Second, it doesn't make sense money wise and would start ********* from PlayStation fanboys.

After all you could play almost any PS exclusive via PSNow

At once? First of all, they don't have enough resources for this. Second, it doesn't make sense money wise and would start ********* from PlayStation fanboys.

After all you could play almost any PS exclusive via PSNow
PS Now is still a less than optimal experience if you don't already have a PS, believe me if you think they only wanted sales from their games as the main reason to bring them to pc I think you're pretty far from the truth, I will not be surprised if Horizon 2 Forbidden West won't be on PC until the end of the current gen if at all. I won't be surprised if we'll see a Days Gone 2 during the current gen. But it's also just to let PC players see what their exclusive games are all about, PS will always have exclusives.

Well the article I read said that about the PS5. Obviously we will have to wait to actually see what really ends up being the differences. Might end up not being much at all.
The PS5 can leverage 3D audio, but aside from that nothing it offers will, by itself, provide better quality audio. Even 3D audio provides better positional placement rather than a better quality audio.

What you are using to output that audio, TV Speaker > Soundbar > AV System, will still have a much, much bigger bearing on what you are hearing, and even then still be limited by the quality of the audio capture and how well its been produced/mastered.

PS Now is still a less than optimal experience if you don't already have a PS, believe me if you think they only wanted sales from their games as the main reason to bring them to pc I think you're pretty far from the truth, I will not be surprised if Horizon 2 Forbidden West won't be on PC until the end of the current gen if at all. I won't be surprised if we'll see a Days Gone 2 during the current gen. But it's also just to let PC players see what their exclusive games are all about, PS will always have exclusives.
You're right, it's not purely about selling the most, it's about market share and market domination. Sony up until now have specfiically been operating in the console and console games territory and that's where they've focused. Of course, if they just wanted to sell as many copies of whatever game as they could, they'd release it on every format they could (PC, PS, XB, Switch etc.) But they're after console market share and by having great exclusives you can only play on PlaySaation, they are strongly encouraging people who want to play those games to buy a PlayStation.

However, we are starting to see some previously PlayStation exclusive titles appearing on PC, so that stratergy may be changing slightly. It could be due to consoles becoming much closer in architacture to PC's, it could be a neccessity for sales or it could be that they are predicting a major shift in the market away from consoles and towards PC gaming.

Last edited:
The PS5 can leverage 3D audio, but aside from that nothing it offers will, by itself, provide better quality audio. Even 3D audio provides better positional placement rather than a better quality audio.

What you are using to output that audio, TV Speaker > Soundbar > AV System, will still have a much, much bigger bearing on what you are hearing, and even then still be limited by the quality of the audio capture and how well its been produced/mastered.
100% this. As a matter of fact, I was going to say the same thing before Scaff said it (most likely better than I). I only used TV speakers for years. Then got a cheap soundbar. Then upgraded to an AV system. The difference is remarkable.

And just to go along with what he said, audio quality has had VERY little improvement since the 70s. My AV system is from the late 70s/early 80s. You'd be hard pressed to get me to switch. So saying the PS5 has better sound, it would only be by, for all intents and purposes, an indiscernible difference.

Having said all that, I hope the sound overall is better, but it wouldn't be because of PS5 hardware

Not everyone has the money for a ps5.I'm one of them.In sweden a ps5 cost 600 us dollar (5995 skr) .It's steep when you have 1000-1100 dollar (10000-11000 skr) for a whole mounth to rent,bills.food and small things.

Last edited:
Not everyone has the money for a ps5.I'm one of them.In sweden a ps5 cost 600 us dollar (5995 skr) .It's steep when you have 1000-1100 dollar (10000-11000 skr) for a whole mounth to rent,bills.food and small things.
In Latvia PS5 cost 750-800 Euros.🤦🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
The first PlayStation game on the leaked Nvidia database now confirmed and available for pre-order on Steam - so it's highly likely GT7 will be on a third platform

Now there's no reason for a PS5, the PS4 will suffice until the superior version of the game is released on PC. 🥳

The first PlayStation game on the leaked Nvidia database now confirmed and available for pre-order on Steam - so it's highly likely GT7 will be on a third platform
Again, that game had a confirmed Steam entry in the list, and GT7 does not. It was a storefront scrape, and the list bears no relevance to whether GT7 will be on PC or not.

1634743706139.png

Last edited:
Don't know is this is the right forum for my dumb Q.
Can it be avalible on ps2-5 in the play-on-pc app they have?Just a silly Q but.I thinking of download and install sony's app.Anyone here knows anything about that app?It's hard to find in sony playstation's site but i found it.

Last edited:
Back