Gran Turismo 7 Has a "Really High Number of Active Users", Says Kazunori Yamauchi

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 66 comments

Jordan

Site Founder
Administrator
United States
United States
GTP_Jordan
GTP_Jordan
Not surpricing as we have seen it sold well even the last few months, i think things like forza horizon 5 and maybe horizon 4 have more active users, but horizon is an open world witch always more popular than track racers, but other than that i think gt7 has the biggest active playerbase for racing games

Last edited:
Slightly disingenuous to claim this. The specific statement related to Update 1.40 when player participation doubled. A cookie for anyone who can guess why that was? Here is a clue... An Oval track and an little engine swapped Abarth. I'd love to know the player participation since update 1.41? We need more online championships between world tour events. Why starve the online community while PD obsess over the 0.2% Without the rest of us playing, there is no GT7.

Last edited:
How many of them were driving an Abarth ? 😅
Here is a clue... An Oval track and an little engine swapped Abarth. I'd love to know the player participation since update 1.41?
Just for the benefit of @sirjim73 and his liver, this is quite literally in the article. I know because it's something we talked about, and also I edited the piece 'cos I'm the editor.

Nonetheless I'd suggest that, given that we don't have the numbers to say for sure what this extra 100% of people did in the game, it is disingenuous to claim that the statement is disingenuous - however slightly you want to say it.

It seems reasonable to conclude, from the activity on the forums alone, that a lot of more casual players played a lot more GT7 from 1.40 to 1.41 due to the exploit. However they would have done so only on one account - "active users" isn't the same as "people" either, and we all know how easy it is to have multiple accounts to access the game - and while would have caused an increase in daily active users, it wouldn't have been much of a spike if you're looking at weekly or monthly.

We've seen lots of noise about new people coming to the game because of the movie too, and that would have increased with the arrival on home cinema/streaming which also happened at about the time of Spec II/1.40.

How many active users though?

He seems happy enough to say how good it is but not happy enough to tell us what that number is.
Would be nice for him/PD to quantify what "really high number" means.
1702468511971.jpeg

How many of them were driving an Abarth ? 😅
Exactly!

I was wondering the same thing. Would be nice for him/PD to quantify what "really high number" means.
It would let the cat out of the bag, that it was a spike and not a consistent number. That way, they can claim more people were playing the game. Even if it was only over a two week period.

Last edited:
I hope the interviewers asked some clear and concise questions.
Maybe they did... but it is Kaz answering so...
Just for the benefit of @sirjim73 and his liver, this is quite literally in the article. I know because it's something we talked about, and also I edited the piece 'cos I'm the editor.
And just for the benefit of your blood pressure, I've read it and saw this point mentionned, that's not a sufficient reason to not crack a joke about it on the forum 😅

Last edited:
If OnlyFans saw a 100% increase in active users after Gran Turismo 7 update 1.40, I really want to know what's going on over there.
Naked carbon LFA pictures :D

The Abarth was an excellent autonomous car, it increased my homework efficiency by 400%!

I'd love to know what data he's comparing it to when he says the retention is unique and better than other titles. There hasn't really been many other comparable games released, other than FM (which is still new enough that the playerbase won't have had chance to decline yet so isn't relevant).

I'd love to know what data he's comparing it to when he says the retention is unique and better than other titles. There hasn't really been many other comparable games released, other than FM (which is still new enough that the playerbase won't have had chance to decline yet so isn't relevant).
I think this is a reference to across the console game universe . . . not just driving games.

PD has moved towards a service model, as is mentioned in the article. But let's compare how that's set up to the Final Fantasy series on PlayStation. They will occasionally come up with some DLC but for the most part, once you get the game and finish it there's nothing much to add. Dr. Mrs. could write (another) dissertation about Final Fantasy, Dragon Age and/or Horizon. While they all have sequels, they don't have much new content.

Gran Turismo 7 has been out for a year and a half and has continued to add new content during it's lifespan. When Spec II came out, it was to some like getting a whole new game. Even without the exploit there was renewed interest in the game.

Most videogames don't see any significant uptick after 18 months of product life. Not in interest nor in sales as a general rule.

Granted, I'm just gleaning that from the article and experience in my humble abode.

“When we released the Spec II update, the number of active users jumped up to double of what it was before that,” Yamauchi-san revealed. “I’ve heard in the video game industry that is quite rare.”

Whomever helped Kaz gather his talking points prior to this interview may have left out key details about why the the active users number jumped. They may not care , because it's a positive number that reinforces their narrative that GT7 is a success and that is what they are out to promote.

However, if you run this narrative by experienced players that are informed, then I think you risk being viewed as out of touch or even disingenuous. Personally, I would refrain from making such claims of 'rare' success, unless I had a credible deconstruction about what motivated it.

I played more after the update mainly because of the introduction of Sophy. But as the article also mentions...

It’s also worth noting that the update brought a small game economy change that — until it was patched out in v1.41 — allowed players to exploit a glitch to earn credits much more rapidly. This became one of the most-searched and most-asked questions in GTPlanet’s Gran Turismo 7 forums at the time.

I know we will never have hard data on what accounted for the player surge, but in my mind, the fact that it was one of the most popular threads on GTP at the time is a significant signal. High probability that the surge on GTP correlates directly to the surge in GT7.

1702478439783.png

Lastly, it is quite typical for heads of studios, firms, corporations to serve as the mascot -- especially in the later stages of their career. They serve more as ambassadors and are removed from the day-to-day operations, and there is nothing wrong with that. This may be what is also happening to Kaz. I think it would be wise for whomever is running the show, to inform the ambassador so as to not induce suspicion and erode trust.

“When we released the Spec II update, the number of active users jumped up to double of what it was before that,” Yamauchi-san revealed. “ This is simply not good enough why not go for triple of what it was before or more.

...I was wondering whether you guys did the roundtable interview with Kaz or not at this event.

Hopefully you guys asked some questions about a certain musician/sound designer on PD's team. (If not, it's my fault for not asking days before the Finals started. >_>)

I imagine the "active user base" always doubles with every patch. It's typically the only time I play for a day or two. And I enjoy the game a lot. Just ran out of stuff I'm interested in doing in it.

These statements mean practically nothing. If there are 100 people playing and then 200 when the patch hits.. That's not really impressive.

The only times companies reveal some actual, generalized numbers is when they actually feel they have something to brag about and they want competitors to see it. Also hate when online games say they have 15 million users or something. Like, sure, 15 million people or bots made an account with a unique email. That doesn't mean there are 15 million people actively playing it on a day to day basis. Probably only a fraction of that. Same applies to GT7.

Last edited:
Back